What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (13 Viewers)

Hold on, I missed something, when did the FBI go back to being the best investigative agency in the world and stop being part of the deep state? 
You're obviously confusing the political hacks and leak artists at the top of the organization with the incredible folks who do these investigations.

Huge difference.  Huge.

Last edited by a moderator:
so even if it's in a State don't you need a plaintiff, that actually has a name???
I have no clue what you’re trying to say.  The FBI said they weren’t investigating because it was a matter for local authorities.  It had nothing to do with the merits of the claim, and they did not draw any conclusions as to whether a crime was committed or not.

What would your response be if somebody posted an article about how the accuser was known to drink and party a lot?
My response would be to post the link, as I did here. 

In any event, consistent with the point you made earlier in the thread, there are things that would tend to corroborate one account or the other. The third person in the room denying the event occurred certainly supports Kavanaugh’s denial. But that witness’ own description of being a blackout drunk during the relevant time period and the fact that the event occurred at a party as I understand it does call in to question (however slightly) his ability to convincingly recollect that the event never occurred.

But again, to answer your hypothetical question, if the alleged victim had written a memoir that she was a blackout drunk during this period of her life, I think that would be very relevant with respect to evaluating the veracity of her claim and the clarity of her recollection, and I would have linked to that article as well if it existed. 

What would your response be if somebody posted an article about how the accuser was known to drink and party a lot?
In this scenario, did she say she doesn’t remember the incident ever happening and also write a book about how she was a blackout drunk? 

Edit: because it would support her story, so that seems like a good thing. 

Also, the relevance here may be that while you can’t consent while drunk, you can commit crimes.  

“I’m changing the names to protect the people I went to school with.”

”What will you call Brett Kavanaugh?”

”Bart O’Kavanaugh.”

”Brilliant!”

:lmao:
Bart O’Kavanaugh’s is the name of my Beef ‘O’ Brady’s tribute restaurant.  We sponsor a bowl game of two 6-6 teams played in my neighbor’s backyard streamed on Facebook Live.

While we're on the topic of evidence. it's worth noting that there are now journalists rummaging through Mark Judge's life.  If Judge has a history of sexual assault, we will presumably find that out in a matter of days.  That would be relevant to know as well.  Obviously, if it turns out that Judge assaulted somebody, that wouldn't prove that Brett Kavanaugh assaulted a different somebody, but it would certainly speak to his credibility on this topic.  And of course his credibility increases if there's no pattern of this type of behavior.

Henry Ford said:
In this scenario, did she say she doesn’t remember the incident ever happening and also write a book about how she was a blackout drunk? 

Edit: because it would support her story, so that seems like a good thing. 

Also, the relevance here may be that while you can’t consent while drunk, you can commit crimes.  
Also, Judge's story isn't "I don't remember that incident."  His story is that it's "absolutely nuts."  

The Kavanaugh classmate quoted in the New Yorker is Mark Judge, a writer in Washington, D.C. Judge spoke to THE WEEKLY STANDARD Friday afternoon, strongly denying that any such incident ever occurred. "It's just absolutely nuts. I never saw Brett act that way," Judge told TWS.
That's about as categorical a denial you can possibly expect considering that Judge doesn't even know who the accuser is.

Also, Judge's story isn't "I don't remember that incident."  His story is that it's "absolutely nuts."  

That's about as categorical a denial you can possibly expect considering that Judge doesn't even know who the accuser is.
Absolutely.  His second interview, with The Weekly Standard, which is an (I believe former, but he may still write for them) employer of his, was a categorical denial.  With Ronan Farrow his response was this:

“I have no recollection of that.”

Oh, and just to clarify, he denied seeing Brett do anything.  No mention of whether he ever participated in anything like that.  So yes, the denial could have been stronger. Though I understand why the Standard didn’t focus on him. 

By the way, @IvanKaramazov or anyone else, I’m curious - do you think a publication doing a piece on how a writer is denying being involved in an attempted rape should notify its readers that he’s been employed by the publication the article is being published in?

By the way, @IvanKaramazov or anyone else, I’m curious - do you think a publication doing a piece on how a writer is denying being involved in an attempted rape should notify its readers that he’s been employed by the publication the article is being published in?
Yes, of course.  It seems to me that that should be standard "full disclosure."

It certainly makes me think about the words the writer used to describe Judge’s demeanor, his denial, and his resolve about this issue.  I hope it all gets clarified soon. 
Me too.  Notice how we make informed judgement's about Mike Judge's credibility since we have a name attached to this character.  Notice how it's impossible to apply this same analysis to the anonymous accuser.

Me too.  Notice how we make informed judgement's about Mike Judge's credibility since we have a name attached to this character.  Notice how it's impossible to apply this same analysis to the anonymous accuser.
Notice how all most people are saying is that we’d like an investigation and to wait to confirm him until there has been one. 

Notice how all most people are saying is that we’d like an investigation and to wait to confirm him until there has been one. 
When you ask for an "investigation," what form do you want that to take?  I'm in favor of digging into this story to see if it's credible, but that's more like "investigative journalism" and less like a senate hearing.  I don't even know how you do the latter when the accuser won't come forward and when the letter hasn't been made public.  Or do you have different thoughts on that?

When you ask for an "investigation," what form do you want that to take?  I'm in favor of digging into this story to see if it's credible, but that's more like "investigative journalism" and less like a senate hearing.  I don't even know how you do the latter when the accuser won't come forward and when the letter hasn't been made public.  Or do you have different thoughts on that?
Honestly, my biggest thought is that we need an investigative body that works on these things. I agree with Anita Hill that the Judiciary Committee needs to implement a process for handling sexual misconduct allegations because they happen a lot to judges. This is obviously an outlier.  But at the least a confidential (between the parties) investigation proceeding that will yield a written determination by the Senate seems warranted. 

While we're on the topic of evidence. it's worth noting that there are now journalists rummaging through Mark Judge's life.  If Judge has a history of sexual assault, we will presumably find that out in a matter of days.  That would be relevant to know as well.  Obviously, if it turns out that Judge assaulted somebody, that wouldn't prove that Brett Kavanaugh assaulted a different somebody, but it would certainly speak to his credibility on this topic.  And of course his credibility increases if there's no pattern of this type of behavior.
The pattern for Judge would have been long ago, of course.  He was an alcoholic in high school and college but quit drinking 30 years ago at the age of 25.  I would imagine Judge is less likely to have any pattern that continued. 

His writing about himself/his life is primarily focused on three thing: sobriety, conservative religion, and his high school buddies (whom he still likes to meet up with and go skinny dipping with when they reunite.  No that’s not a joke.) 

https://acculturated.com/boys-night-out/

I went to an all-boys high school, and it’s noticeable how physical our friendships still are, even decades after we graduated. At reunions we tend to fall back on the age-old male expression of affection—light punches on the shoulder, a bear hug, even playful wrestling after a few beers. Last year a few of us met at our school’s homecoming game and the subject of that year’s reunion came up. We were sorting out the details—a trip to the beach—when one of the guys asked: What about wives and girlfriends? Should they be invited?

The decision was instant and near unanimous: No. All it took to make the right call was a reminder of last year’s monkeyshines: the drinking, pick-up games, late night skinny dipping in the ocean, frank talk about women and sex. We needed to pick the insects and fleas off of each other, and that was best done without girls.

It appears that people believe he’s deleting his accounts because they’re basically full of pictures/videos of young, pretty, objectified women and girls. 

Edit: and twitter rants about feminism and the emasculating culture we live in  

Most of those are legit but some? :oldunsure:

There is nothing artistic of photographing 4 17 year old chicks in bikinis, so that excuse is out.
I don’t know the ages of the women/girls on there, and many women look younger than they are. No doubt he was working on some kind of project at some point given that he’s an author. I’m sure that’s why the cheerleader shots and the young woman on the beach and the farm. And the extensive collection of photos of women of Asian descent. 

I don’t know the ages of the women/girls on there, and many women look younger than they are. No doubt he was working on some kind of project at some point given that he’s an author. I’m sure that’s why the cheerleader shots and the young woman on the beach and the farm. And the extensive collection of photos of women of Asian descent. 
Extreme vetting of foreigners.  He’s gunning for DHS to, in his words, “bounce that skirt who can’t even spell her name right.”

In all fairness, my male friends from high school were scummy then and are creepy old men now too.  Of course, those are two of the many reasons I’ve never skinny dipped with them.  And don’t talk to them anymore. 

I was casual friends with a guy in high school who was by all appearances a nice guy. Dated a friend of mine. Treated his teachers, friends, and acquaintances with respect. 

Turns out in his spare time he caught wandering cats and dogs and tortured them to death. Nobody knew for years. 
Plot twist: his name was Brett Kavanaugh. 

“Through a White House spokesman, Kavanaugh declined to comment further on Ford’s allegation and did not respond to questions about whether he knew her during high school. The White House had no additional comment”

Users who are viewing this thread