What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (1 Viewer)

LionOfGosforth said:
Same. Thomas in round 2 and Tyreek in round 3 core of my team.
Well I just made a huge trade to get Tyreek but had to trade Michael Thomas in the deal to get him. The trade was from my team Andrew Luck, Todd Gurley, M. Thomas, CMC, and the Saints D for Goff, Melvin Gordon, Lamar Miller, Tyreek Hill, and Rams D. 

Lol, yes I am aware. I made a thread about it. It is my first ever time playing Fantasy Football and my first ever trade. I guess I live and learn. 

It’s not a bad trade until the season is over and the stats prove it.  Until then you should run your team as you see fit and ignore the “experts”.  You could very well end up being the expert here while the criers of “raped” eat crow (or just silently slink away).

I thought yesterday would be the Kamara show, this guy may just be match-up and gameflow proof  :wub:
He’s my long term keeper in my main league. Still in disbelief I did not target him in any other draft. Bree’s is locked on to him. And to be fair - Ginn and Smith aren’t gonna draw his eye unless Thomas is blanketed. 

Had him last year but good gravy. :shock:
Not making a direct player comparison but this summer he reminded me of Mike Evans from a couple of years back (early 3rd rounder that year). Coming off a big yardage but low TD season and somehow flying a little under the radar as compared to receivers like Beckham and Allen et al this year. I drafted him as WR8 in my big local redraft late second. Killer value so far.

Not making a direct player comparison but this summer he reminded me of Mike Evans from a couple of years back (early 3rd rounder that year). Coming off a big yardage but low TD season and somehow flying a little under the radar as compared to receivers like Beckham and Allen et al this year. I drafted him as WR8 in my big local redraft late second. Killer value so far.
Good comparison. 

I didn't have a shot at Thomas per se given my draft spot, but I did have Keenan and OBJ ranked ahead of him.  I mean goodness this guy is thrashing.

Good comparison. 

I didn't have a shot at Thomas per se given my draft spot, but I did have Keenan and OBJ ranked ahead of him.  I mean goodness this guy is thrashing.
Yeah It's too early to make TOO many predictions or get TOO excited but Brees is playing well and appears locked onto him. I imagine most people had OBJ and Allen ahead of him, I know I did too. Sometimes, you're just in the right spot, rather than it being any great assessment of talent or situation.

I went Kamara then Thomas...then Brees about 4 rounds later.  Its gonna be mostly feast than famine with these guys!
Wish i'd done that instead of DJ but I greatly underestimated just how bad the Cards were going to be and how badly utilized he would be early on. Funny thing is, if i'd taken Kamara, I probably would have passed on Thomas for someone like Adams round 2, not a fan of overloading players from one team. With hindsight however!

Wish i'd done that instead of DJ but I greatly underestimated just how bad the Cards were going to be and how badly utilized he would be early on. Funny thing is, if i'd taken Kamara, I probably would have passed on Thomas for someone like Adams round 2, not a fan of overloading players from one team. With hindsight however!
The double end score (6 pts for TDs, bonus for long TDs) is awesome to see.  Much like my Elway to McCaffrey combo in years past.  One minute, you're losing...the next...bam!  Up by like 25 pts.

The double end score (6 pts for TDs, bonus for long TDs) is awesome to see.  Much like my Elway to McCaffrey combo in years past.  One minute, you're losing...the next...bam!  Up by like 25 pts.
I remember it well with Manning+Harrison and Brady+Moss, too much fun but definitely none at all for your opponent.

Quiet thread this, considering the pace Thomas is on. Franchise record game yesterday. Occasionally takes a back seat to the RBs, especially in the red zone but that catch and run for 72 yards yesterday was a thing of beauty.

Is there any doubt he's the best young WR in the league? Not going to say he's better than AB, but in a dynasty, I don't think there is a WR in his zip code other than Nuk. He makes it look so easy too

Quiet thread this, considering the pace Thomas is on. Franchise record game yesterday. Occasionally takes a back seat to the RBs, especially in the red zone but that catch and run for 72 yards yesterday was a thing of beauty.
People tend to argue and debate endlessly about marginal players they have concerns about. 

I'm assuming you're being cheeky, that being said some may not know it's DeAndre Hopkins.
Nope, not being cheeky. I've only seen "Nuk" a few times here in the Shark Pool, and could not figure out who it was from context.

There's a lot of modern media/social media that I don't participate in, so I miss a lot of stuff like this. Whatever source(s) popularized "Nuk" is a source that I must not follow.

Nope, not being cheeky. I've only seen "Nuk" a few times here in the Shark Pool, and could not figure out who it was from context.

There's a lot of modern media/social media that I don't participate in, so I miss a lot of stuff like this. Whatever source(s) popularized "Nuk" is a source that I must not follow.
Apologies. ?

It was the nick name his Mom gave him as the Nuk brand pacifier was the only name brand he would use.

I didn't know "Nuk" = Hopkins either....and I own Hopkins (and Thomas for that matter) in my dynasty league ?

I didn't know "Nuk" = Hopkins either....and I own Hopkins (and Thomas for that matter) in my dynasty league ?
Getting it back to Michael Thomas: I don't know if this will catch on nationally, but some Saints fans online will refer to Michael Thomas as "CGM". I found out recently that it comes from Thomas' Twitter handle #cantguardmike.

Getting it back to Michael Thomas: I don't know if this will catch on nationally, but some Saints fans online will refer to Michael Thomas as "CGM". I found out recently that it comes from Thomas' Twitter handle #cantguardmike.
I guess I'll need to remember that as I won't be able to plead ignorance next time

Thanks

Does the Bryant pickup affect MT in any way? I tend to think once he's playing it will help, even if it's just a little bit, to take some coverage away? I'm probably looking at it from too basic a perspective.

Does the Bryant pickup affect MT in any way? I tend to think once he's playing it will help, even if it's just a little bit, to take some coverage away? I'm probably looking at it from too basic a perspective.
I think it raises Thomas' floor without really adding anything to Thomas's ceiling.

I think it raises Thomas' floor without really adding anything to Thomas's ceiling.
That's fair, I don't think raising his ceiling is likely or reasonable, it's already very high and NO have so many options in their passing offense. If it even loosens the coverage just a little, can't hurt right?

Yep.

And raising Thomas' floor is no small thing. WRs, even great ones, can be inconsistent week to week. Having the stats smooth out a bit -- while remaining high -- is a big help in FFB.
4 of Thomas' 5 TDs this year have come from the 5 yard line or closer.  That's probably the area where Dez would contribute the most (almost as a pseudo-TE).  While that wouldn't hurt MT's yardage all that much, the loss of some of those TDs would suck.  If he has 2 fewer TDs, he drops to WR7.  If he has 3 fewer, he drops to WR12.

4 of Thomas' 5 TDs this year have come from the 5 yard line or closer.  That's probably the area where Dez would contribute the most (almost as a pseudo-TE).  While that wouldn't hurt MT's yardage all that much, the loss of some of those TDs would suck.  If he has 2 fewer TDs, he drops to WR7.  If he has 3 fewer, he drops to WR12.
In addition to the 5 TDs he's scored, he has also been tackled at the 1 yard line, 3 yard line, 4 yard line, 5 yard line (twice), 6 yard line, 8 yard line, and 9 yard line.  So he's been more involved in the red zone than those 5 TDs would indicate.  I don't think that's going to change by adding a pseudo-TE.

In addition to the 5 TDs he's scored, he has also been tackled at the 1 yard line, 3 yard line, 4 yard line, 5 yard line (twice), 6 yard line, 8 yard line, and 9 yard line.  So he's been more involved in the red zone than those 5 TDs would indicate.  I don't think that's going to change by adding a pseudo-TE.
I don’t understand.  My point was that a lot of his production is coming from near the goal line, and since Dez seems to be more suited for those kind of short-yardage looks, his signing could impact those numbers.

Your response is “yeah, he’s been really involved in that area so far this year; adding another player that might take some of that work doesn’t matter.”

??

I don’t understand.  My point was that a lot of his production is coming from near the goal line, and since Dez seems to be more suited for those kind of short-yardage looks, his signing could impact those numbers.

Your response is “yeah, he’s been really involved in that area so far this year; adding another player that might take some of that work doesn’t matter.”

??
Thomas has 5 TDs, and you removed 2-3 of those to show a possible impact from Dez.  I only wanted to point out that with all of his close calls near the goal line, it isn't a stretch to think that Thomas could have more than 5 TDs at this point anyway.  So I don't think he is going to suddenly drop to 2 TDs in the 2nd half of the season.

Thomas has 5 TDs, and you removed 2-3 of those to show a possible impact from Dez.  I only wanted to point out that with all of his close calls near the goal line, it isn't a stretch to think that Thomas could have more than 5 TDs at this point anyway.  So I don't think he is going to suddenly drop to 2 TDs in the 2nd half of the season.
I wasn’t remove them, just pointing out that a small dip in that important area (where, presumably, Dez would be utilized) is more impactful than a dip in other areas (like losing a few catches between the 20’s).  

Dez may not impact Thomas, but, IMO, MT’s far more likely to see a slight dip in red zone production due to Dez’s presence than he is to see a boost there if Dez signs.  That’s a logical leap without basis, I’m afraid.

Michael Thomas caught all four of his targets for 92 yards and a touchdown in the Saints' Week 11 win over the Eagles.

With Tre’Quan Smith dominating, Thomas was limited to just four targets, but he made the most of them. He got loose for two long gains on each of his two first-half catches, the second of which put him over 1,000 yards for the season. He did even better after the break, coming down with a pinpoint throw from Drew Brees for a 23-yard touchdown, his eighth of the season and fifth in the last five games. By catching all four of his targets, Thomas once again bumped up above a 90 percent catch rate for the year. He will remain a no-doubt WR1 on Thanksgiving against the Falcons.

Nov 18 - 7:44 PM

Michael Thomas - WR -  Saints

Michael Thomas caught 5-of-8 targets for 40 yards in the Saints' Week 13 loss to the Cowboys.

Thomas was also drawing penalties left and right, but that does not show up in the box score for fantasy owners. Although he's in the midst of a monster fantasy campaign, Thomas has cleared 100 yards in just 3-of-12 contests. He's hit the century mark once since September. He has a safe, even floor but ceiling has been unpredictable. Thomas does have a circle-the-calendar Week 14 matchup with the Bucs. Thomas ripped Tampa to shreds for 16/180/1 in Week 1.

Nov 29 - 11:41 PM

Users who are viewing this thread