What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld take:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Michael Thomas suffered a high-ankle sprain in New Orleans' Week 1 win over the Buccaneers.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport adds that Thomas is "likely" to be listed as questionable ahead of New Orleans' Monday night contest against the Raiders. The star wideout had his ankle rolled up on while blocking for Latavius Murray late into the second half but isn't expected to miss time since the injury is reportedly "something he believes he can play through." Whether he'll be productive playing through injury, however, is a different story. Fantasy players should prioritize Tre'Quan Smith as Thomas' WR handcuff ahead of primetime.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Sep 14, 2020, 1:40 PM ET

Buy Trequan?
He has A LOT to prove. Smith showed well several times as a rookie, and has never since matched that promise.

I don't think there'll be one clear player on the real-life 2020 Saints picking up all of Michael Thomas's fantasy value. One week Jared Cook will go off. Then Tre'Quan. Maybe Sanders, maybe Montgomery or Marquez Callaway or Bennie Fowler. Deonte Harris will get free on a long one sooner or later. Could be some games where the Saints don't pass a ton and both Lamara and Latavius Murray have fantasy RB1 days.

He has A LOT to prove. Smith showed well several times as a rookie, and has never since matched that promise.

I don't think there'll be one clear player on the real-life 2020 Saints picking up all of Michael Thomas's fantasy value. One week Jared Cook will go off. Then Tre'Quan. Maybe Sanders, maybe Montgomery or Marquez Callaway or Bennie Fowler. Deonte Harris will get free on a long one sooner or later. Could be some games where the Saints don't pass a ton and both Lamara and Latavius Murray have fantasy RB1 days.
yeah I can definitely see that... what i like about him is he seems the longest target of the available options that more in the Thomas mold to be a bigger target or go up and get one

Hearing maybe until week 7?
Where did you hear this?

ETA that I just saw their bye week is 6 with three of the upcoming games being quite winnable. Entirely Possible they hold him out until then. 

incredibly ####ed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
HAS seem to linger for much longer even after return to play. can any of you recall any WR comps from recent past that had HAS but actually came back to perform well the same season?

the google machine produced an article from 2013 on Roddy White. Said he had the injury occured in the 2013 pre-season. he played the entire season but didnt have over 50 yards receiving until December 1st that year (he then had monster games 4 of the last 5 games that year). 

last year mo sanu had HAS in late november, came back in december and didnt do much and then ended up having surgery Feb 2020 because of it.

i guess it will depend on the grade of the HAS.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports there’s “a little hope” Michael Thomas (ankle) can play in Week 2 against the Raiders.

The Saints have been “surprised at Thomas’ progress” at practice. Thomas has an extra day to get cleared with the Saints playing on Monday night but remains unlikely to suit up. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thomas is expected to miss “several weeks.”

SOURCE: ESPN

Sep 18, 2020, 11:46 AM ET

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports there’s “a little hope” Michael Thomas (ankle) can play in Week 2 against the Raiders.

The Saints have been “surprised at Thomas’ progress” at practice. Thomas has an extra day to get cleared with the Saints playing on Monday night but remains unlikely to suit up. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thomas is expected to miss “several weeks.”

SOURCE: ESPN

Sep 18, 2020, 11:46 AM ET
FYI

Because it's a Monday Night game, the Saints won't report he is out until at least Saturday (and perhaps not even then.)

Bums me out because our IR rules don't allow for moving  a player who is doubtful. Currently I have no DT on my roster and won't pick one up until Thomas is declared out.

A/C issues aside, I hope they don't play him until he is 100%. HAS are notoriously slow to heal, easy to re-aggravate, but obviously each injury is ICB.

Color me highly skeptical that Thomas plays through a high ankle sprain. He got rolled up on and looked visibly hobbled. This reeks of Payton-ism trying to keep his opponent off-guard. I'm not buyin what he's sellin. And IF Thomas is out there (5% chance IMO) he's a decoy at best. 

No one just magically recovers from a high-ankle sprain. 

Feels like this could be trending in the right direction...when that played happened it looked like it could have been a season ender...I like the fact they say he has a chance to play so quickly after the injury  but I would be shocked if he did...the Saints are a Super Bowl or bust team and they aren’t winning it without Thomas playing at an elite level...no need to push things in week 2.

Color me highly skeptical that Thomas plays through a high ankle sprain. He got rolled up on and looked visibly hobbled.
You think? A lot of us watching the game grimaced at first, but though Thomas looked fine walking along the sideline shortly afterward. I know on Saintsreport, there was shock when the high-ankle sprain diagnosis went public.

That said, we're almost 100% positive Thomas is missing the Raiders game. If he does play and play well, the high-ankle sprain diagnosis will likely have been in error.

You think? A lot of us watching the game grimaced at first, but though Thomas looked fine walking along the sideline shortly afterward. I know on Saintsreport, there was shock when the high-ankle sprain diagnosis went public.

That said, we're almost 100% positive Thomas is missing the Raiders game. If he does play and play well, the high-ankle sprain diagnosis will likely have been in error.
The words high ankle sprain and no missed time are not a normal combination.

Michael Thomas (ankle) was not spotted at the open portion of practice on Saturday.

With the Saints playing on Monday night, there is no way you can wait to make your lineup decision unless more positive news emerges on Sunday morning. Technically Thomas could play without practicing, but we aren't banking on it. Hopefully more positive news emerges heading into Week 3 against the Packers.

Sep 19, 2020, 3:37 PM ET

You think? A lot of us watching the game grimaced at first, but though Thomas looked fine walking along the sideline shortly afterward.
IMO, he looked nothing resembling “fine” on the sidelines when he was moving & testing it out. He looked fine standing in one place. Not sure that’ll be useful in a game tho. :shrug:  

I wouldn’t count on him playing. This vague optimism reeks of gamesmanship by Payton. IIRC he did these shenanigans with Kamara for 3 weeks last year. 

Not too many bids placed on Trequan and not hearing hype on him for this week. I know they have Sanders too but it seems like Trequan could be in a real good spot. 

Right on queue

Michael Thomas (ankle) has been ruled out for Week 2 against the Raiders.

This allows you to replace his spot in your lineup in time for Sunday's games. Emmanuel Sanders and Jared Cook should see the highest volume of targets this week, with Tre'Quan Smith as a desperation play. Hopefully more positive news on Thomas' ankle emerges heading into Week 3 against the Packers, but the initial prognosis placed Thomas out for "several weeks."

Not too many bids placed on Trequan and not hearing hype on him for this week. I know they have Sanders too but it seems like Trequan could be in a real good spot. 
Agree - Brees was talking him up quite a bit. That said, Brees didn’t look awesome week 1 & I’m betting the Raiders are gonna come out playing like their heads are on fire for the inaugural game at the Darth Vader Hockey Puck in the dessert.  

Michael Thomas (ankle) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

It would be a major surprise if Thomas is ready to play this week against the Packers. Tre'Quan Smith and Alvin Kamara were the focal points of the offense in Week 2 without Thomas in the lineup.

Sep 23, 2020, 5:06 PM ET

Thomas is out per Bill Huber
Rotoworld:

Saints WR Michael Thomas (ankle) is out for Week 3 against the Packers. 

Thomas will miss another game. Tre'Quan Smith, last week's most targeted Saints receiver, will be the No. 1 wideout against Green Bay on Sunday night. With Thomas out, Jared Cook could also see more involvement in the team's declining passing attack. 

RELATED: 

Tre'Quan Smith

SOURCE: Dan Graziano on Twitter 

Sep 25, 2020, 4:51 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Saints WR Michael Thomas (ankle) is "eyeing a Week 4 return."

Thomas held out on a Week 3 return for a few days before ultimately being ruled out due to his high ankle injury. Tre'Quan Smith looks to have the edge over Emmanuel Sanders as the No. 1 receiver in New Orleans. He led all Saints receivers in targets with seven in Week 2. Alvin Kamara, who led the entire team with nine targets last week, will continue to be heavily involved as a pass-catcher.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 27, 2020, 8:08 AM ET

Am I the only the owner not happy about this? Hate when guys are rushed back. This has weeks of BS Decoy written all over it.. I'd rather they take their time so when he's back I know I have a real WR1 in my lineup vs. a decoy WR4.
I agree in a vacuum but given how much injury there is across the WRs this year, alternatives are pretty slim. 

Am I the only the owner not happy about this? Hate when guys are rushed back. This has weeks of BS Decoy written all over it.. I'd rather they take their time so when he's back I know I have a real WR1 in my lineup vs. a decoy WR4.
I understand this... heck I'm experiencing it with Thomas needed in my line-up. On the other hand, I think this is going to be the risk no matter what week a guy comes back. If he was ruled out this week and returns next week, we'd be in the same boat... just with another zero week. We can't really say he's being rushed back. It all hinges on how injured he was, or still is, and no one can know that. Being active and having actual performance is the only way we can evaluate. Better to do that this week than next IMHO.

I sure could use him but I don't want him rushing back. He's not really gonna play this week is he?
JMHO, the fact the Saints did not put him on IR (3 week minimum) is worth considering before assuming he's being rushed back. If they themselves were not sure if this was a 3-week minimum injury, is it obvious he's being rushed back? Not sure what the incentive would be to keep a player on the active roster if you don't expect him back < 3 weeks.

JMHO, the fact the Saints did not put him on IR (3 week minimum) is worth considering before assuming he's being rushed back. If they themselves were not sure if this was a 3-week minimum injury, is it obvious he's being rushed back? Not sure what the incentive would be to keep a player on the active roster if you don't expect him back < 3 weeks.
I just had an A.J. Green flashback from last season. 😉

I understand this... heck I'm experiencing it with Thomas needed in my line-up. On the other hand, I think this is going to be the risk no matter what week a guy comes back. If he was ruled out this week and returns next week, we'd be in the same boat... just with another zero week. We can't really say he's being rushed back. It all hinges on how injured he was, or still is, and no one can know that. Being active and having actual performance is the only way we can evaluate. Better to do that this week than next IMHO.
My only hope is that the high ankle the media latched on to was an exaggeration and that it's just a normal sprain. 

Still, he'll be on my bench for Edelman. 

Users who are viewing this thread