What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (2 Viewers)

I mean, this has to be good news for Thomas owners, right? If you're healthy enough for fisticuffs, you're probably healthy enough to play next week.

If you can dodge a wrench... :shrug:  
Sounds like, given the Brees kerfuffle and BLM earlier this year, that Thomas has no trouble crossing teammates is what it sounds like.

I am glad you clarified this because I had no idea what the article I read meant by "disciplinary reasons".  I am wondering if they are using this as an excuse to give him an extended rest since the Saints are on bye next week. 
The Saints didn’t need any excuse to sit him another week, they could have easily have rested him, there is absolutely nothing good coming from this, only negativity towards the Saints and Thomas is the result.  After Thomas went ballistic on Twitter over a harmless tweet from Devante Parker, for him to punch his teammate isn’t a surprise at all.  Hopefully he misses a game check over this.

Scuttlebutt is that it wasn't merely a practice scuffle gone bad, but that Thomas sucker-punched DB Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Word is that pretty much the entire team came to Gardner-Johnson's defense and is PO'd with Thomas. Further word is that when coaches went to break up the fight, Thomas was "disrespectful" to the coaches as well. Don't know if that implies he got physical (say, a shove) with a coach or not.

Scuttlebutt is that it wasn't merely a practice scuffle gone bad, but that Thomas sucker-punched DB Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Word is that pretty much the entire team came to Gardner-Johnson's defense and is PO'd with Thomas. Further word is that when coaches went to break up the fight, Thomas was "disrespectful" to the coaches as well. Don't know if that implies he got physical (say, a shove) with a coach or not.
Oof - yeah, there's no class in a suckerpunch. That's allll bad. 

Mark Ingram was benched for a whole game for a single fumble. I can't imagine what Payton will do with this. 

One also has to consider the "talent:crazy" ratio. Thomas is one of the top 2 weapons on the team & they've looked like a different offense without him. 

Oof - yeah, there's no class in a suckerpunch. That's allll bad. 

Mark Ingram was benched for a whole game for a single fumble. I can't imagine what Payton will do with this. 

One also has to consider the "talent:crazy" ratio. Thomas is one of the top 2 weapons on the team & they've looked like a different offense without him. 
Ah yes, like the hot/crazy curve for dating. 😋

This gets people a plane ticket out of town in some cases. If true this could be just the tip of the iceberg :popcorn:  

The Saints didn’t need any excuse to sit him another week, they could have easily have rested him, there is absolutely nothing good coming from this, only negativity towards the Saints and Thomas is the result.  After Thomas went ballistic on Twitter over a harmless tweet from Devante Parker, for him to punch his teammate isn’t a surprise at all.  Hopefully he misses a game check over this.
I heard "fight" and had no idea what happened but agree that he deserves to miss the game and lose a game check over this if what you allege is true (I have no reason to doubt it). 

When I wrote that my thought process was the Packers held out Adams through the bye to protect him from re-injuring himself and giving himself a chance to fully heal rather than have his injury persist throughout the season. According to a few reports I read Adams was miffed at the team and wanted to play.  

Wow. Like it wasn't bad enough he had a high ankle sprain now this. And an entire bye week after tonight for everyone to stew on it.

Does anyone know in a situation like this, would Thomas be at the game in civies or is it a banned-from-the-building kind of thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Like it wasn't bad enough he had a high ankle sprain now this. And an entire bye week after tonight for everyone to stew on it.

Does anyone know in a situation like this, would Thomas be at the game in civies or is it a banned-from-the-building kind of thing?
I think banned from the building. 

Is anyone buying low on Michael Thomas? I know it sounds ridiculous, but assuming owners are frustrated seems a good candidate. 

Is anyone buying low on Michael Thomas? I know it sounds ridiculous, but assuming owners are frustrated seems a good candidate. 
I got him for Mckinnon and Gaskin from a guy in my league that needed wins and RBs desperately. I think he sees a strong second half and he has some great matchups remaining this year. 

I got him for Mckinnon and Gaskin from a guy in my league that needed wins and RBs desperately. I think he sees a strong second half and he has some great matchups remaining this year. 
No way Id sell that low.

Been contemplating making an offer to another team...  Giving up Thomas, Rojo, Brady...getting Rodgers, Chubb, Chark.  Only reason id even consider is Im not happy with my Brady/Goff combo having to try and pick the weeks one is good and the other puts up a dud and I think Rodgers is on this year big time.  And I have Ridley and Parker doing well for me at WR...

And even then I think the guy will balk at this offer.

Yesterday I received my first offer of Michael Thomas in my entire life and I turned it down. FFPC Superflex

My Godwin, McLaurin and Big Ben for Thomas, Brees and Unicorn. Close, though.

Yesterday I received my first offer of Michael Thomas in my entire life and I turned it down. FFPC Superflex

My Godwin, McLaurin and Big Ben for Thomas, Brees and Unicorn. Close, though.
I've taken a few pokes at the Thomas owner over the last few weeks. Was told to stop doing that.

Present but not participating in early portion of practice open to the media.

On top of Payton being non-committal on him playing from earlier today I'm starting to think he's may not be coming back this week.

I know why this is crazy but I got to put it out here. Is there any chance he's on the trade market?

I know why this is crazy but I got to put it out here. Is there any chance he's on the trade market?
A very thin chance, but a lot more of a likelihood than it was going into Game 1. The Saints have let go of players with big cap hits in the recent past, though Michael Thomas would be on another level.

A very thin chance, but a lot more of a likelihood than it was going into Game 1. The Saints have let go of players with big cap hits in the recent past, though Michael Thomas would be on another level.
Thanks and obviously I think it's no chance from a pure football angle- not a move you make to improve your team,  but the question was asked and pondered by me out of consideration to reports of how hard he is to manage.

Thanks and obviously only reason I think it's remotely possible is concerns of his attitude.

Present but not participating in early portion of practice open to the media.

On top of Payton being non-committal on him playing from earlier today I'm starting to think he's may not be coming back this week.
The local reporter that broke this on Twitter, Nick Underhill, deleted two tweets about this topic and then posted this:

Nick Underhill
@nick_underhill

Reposted that because people who don't follow the Saints fixating on a detail that doesn't matter and I'm not trying to mislead. Mike was there. Left. Didn't see him again. We're at practice for like 15 minutes. If someone goes to the bathroom we might not see them return.
So the local media was only present for a small part of practice -- they don't get to hang out on the sidelines and observe the entire time.

Upshot: Michael Thomas is fine.

The local reporter that broke this on Twitter, Nick Underhill, deleted two tweets about this topic and then posted this:

So the local media was only present for a small part of practice -- they don't get to hang out on the sidelines and observe the entire time.

Thanks but I knew that. Once training camp ends media can only view first 20 minutes I believe, this is why I phrased my initial post on his injury status the way I did, which was saying he was present but not participating in early part of practice open to the media.

Single handedly destroying one of my teams.  I’m going to make a lot of loud noises if he doesn’t play this week. 

Single handedly destroying one of my teams.  I’m going to make a lot of loud noises if he doesn’t play this week. 
Mine too.  I picked him as my first pick this year and he's hurt.  I picked Kamara as my first pick last year and he got hurt and was useless all season.  No more first round Saints for me.

Same rules everywhere in the league. All media must depart after the first 20 minutes.

The practice report is a press release from the team. Limited is a broad term. Sometimes it means the player worked on the side. Maybe he rode a stationary bike. He might have had reps later that were not observed by the beat writers. But the only info the team releases are Full Participant, Limited Participation, Did Not Practice.

Mine too.  I picked him as my first pick this year and he's hurt.  I picked Kamara as my first pick last year and he got hurt and was useless all season.  No more first round Saints for me.
I think it's more along the lines of NOT picking players coming off "career" years and not so much players from one team. MT had to get one of the best WR seasons ever after recording the best ever to satisfy that 1st round price tag. That's tough to do, even for MT. 

I was hoping when he was limited on the report yesterday it was with hammy soreness from getting back into it. But the Roto article says he picked up an injury during practice. Not great. Of course roto could be reading between the lines rather than actually having info about an in practice injury.

Hammy? Seriously? 

Ugh...was offered a trade last night of CEH for Thomas. Was going to decline, but now might have to accept. 

In order to talk fair, I have seen his twitter. Bitterness is one thing this guy embraces. He just comes off as an angry dude in my opinion. Sure that may make him play great, but if challenged and pushed by authority, he seems like the type who would break and be petty.
As a fan of the team, Michael Thomas worries me a lot now. I don't really believe in demonstrative, emotional athletes with thin skins -- seems they always end up unraveling at some point. Thomas has had an awesome start to his career, and his place on the Saints team and his place as an NFL elite have been assured -- his insecurity is disappointing. He can afford to play things cool and let things roll off his back ... but cannot do so. Meanwhile, younger/lesser players who want to make a name for themselves (even teammates) sense this insecurity and prey on it.

And yes -- now there's a hamstring tweak.

As a fan of the team, Michael Thomas worries me a lot now. I don't really believe in demonstrative, emotional athletes with thin skins -- seems they always end up unraveling at some point. Thomas has had an awesome start to his career, and his place on the Saints team and his place as an NFL elite have been assured -- his insecurity is disappointing. He can afford to play things cool and let things roll off his back ... but cannot do so. Meanwhile, younger/lesser players who want to make a name for themselves (even teammates) sense this insecurity and prey on it.

And yes -- now there's a hamstring tweak.
Was it a thin skin issue?  I thought he took issue with a dangerous tackle during practice.  Wasn't like a trash talk thing I don't think, right?

Was it a thin skin issue?  I thought he took issue with a dangerous tackle during practice.  Wasn't like a trash talk thing I don't think, right?
Don't know for sure. Have heard nothing about a dangerous tackle ... have heard plenty about CJ Gardner-Johnson jawing with Thomas at practices, going back to training camp 2019.

He punched his own teammate for darn sakes and he was the one who was punished so I can assume he was the one at fault not the person he punched.
Could be wrong, but I thought there was also an altercation with a coach that lead to the "go home" order.

Could be wrong, but I thought there was also an altercation with a coach that lead to the "go home" order.
Good read if you can access it but below the link I cut and pasted portion of the article that is a response to your post: https://theathletic.com/2135319/2020/10/13/michael-thomas-needs-to-wise-up-wake-up-and-grow-up-before-its-too-late/

Multiple sources said the suspension had less to do with Thomas’ role in a fight with teammate C.J. Gardner-Johnson during practice on Saturday than it did his actions after the fracas. Thomas, they said, talked back to coaches, including Payton, and obstinately refused counsel afterward.

Dropped in my redraft. I immediately picked him up. What's the forecast here ROS? Not a bad WR6 gamble behind Adams, Evans, Metcalf, Fulgham, and Cooks. Also gives flexibility to shore up my RBs (Cook, Gaskin, Gibson, and Harris).via trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dropped in my redraft. I immediately picked him up. What's the forecast here ROS? Not a bad WR6 gamble behind Adams, Evans, Metcalf, Fulgham, and Cooks. Also gives flexibility to shore up my RBs (Cook, Gaskin, Gibson, and Harris).via trade.
Huh?😧 Michael Thomas was dropped?  And you picked him up, but consider him your WR6?  Is there something that wasn't posted in this thread that I missed?  Because a fight with a teammate, argument with a coach, a "bad" attitude, and a tweaked hammy don't add up to pre-season #1 WR being dropped and viewed as a WR6 on a FF roster.

Adams is the only receiver you have that I would rank higher. Thomas is your WR2. At worst I could see Metcalf having a few weeks where he outscores Thomas. Other than that don't ever bench Thomas for the likes of Evans, Fulgham, or Cooks.

I’m shopping him. I made two gigantic trades in order to keep the lights on for him, now this.

one offer out is

Ronald Jones / Justin Jefferson

##### ### Thomas / Gibson

Users who are viewing this thread