Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

WR Michael Thomas, NO


Recommended Posts

I think MT was covered by Slay, and even had a safety bumping him on occasion. The Saints went to Ginn effectively in the 1st half but then the whole offense curled up when they went up 35. They got real conservative and couldn't convert third downs. The Saints still need a reliable WR2, they're missing Cooks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, rickyg said:

Is it an argument?  Is that what this is?  Not for me.  I'm just stating a fact.  That's where he is sitting in my league RT now.  I acknowledged his bye week skewed it.  I'm not stupid.  I get it.

I'm done here.  You should be too.  This is dumb.  And unproductive.  Here's to thomas blowing up for 150 yards and 2 tds next week and ending the season as wr1.  Cheers! 

Way to miss the point. You took a "right now" ranking on late Sunday afternoon, barely into the byes where the player in question already had his bye, and extrapolated that #20 in points to be a #3 WR. It was pointed out that he came into the week #12 DESPITE THE BYE, and you've done nothing but double down on your statement ever since. Yes...he had an AWFUL week. No...he was NOT performing as a 2 or 3. Yes, he has been (very) mildly disappointing. NO...he was not close to benchable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the saints.  Players have down games on the saints. Moreso than most teams.  Didn't Brees only throw for like 200 yards?  This would have to happen a couple more times for me to consider taking him out of my lineup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, rickyg said:

Is it an argument?  Is that what this is?  Not for me.  I'm just stating a fact.  That's where he is sitting in my league RT now.  I acknowledged his bye week skewed it.  I'm not stupid.  I get it.

I'm done here.  You should be too.  This is dumb.  And unproductive.  Here's to thomas blowing up for 150 yards and 2 tds next week and ending the season as wr1.  Cheers! 

Why not just sort the rankings by ppg?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rickyg said:

Didn’t even know you can do that in yahoo?  Can you?  That would be awesome   

 

Can do it on MFL. AFTER this weeks bad game, Thomas is now #18 in ppg. That's in standard scoring (1 pt/10yds, 6/TD, no PPR). Coming into week 6 (IE, weeks 1-5), he was #11 in points per game.

In other words, he had been performing as a low end #1. Mild disappointment, but nowhere close to a "bust". I'd bet a weeks salary he ends up top 12 in PPG (barring injury) at years end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, renesauz said:

Can do it on MFL. AFTER this weeks bad game, Thomas is now #18 in ppg. That's in standard scoring (1 pt/10yds, 6/TD, no PPR). Coming into week 6 (IE, weeks 1-5), he was #11 in points per game.

In other words, he had been performing as a low end #1. Mild disappointment, but nowhere close to a "bust". I'd bet a weeks salary he ends up top 12 in PPG (barring injury) at years end.

Fornthe last time I never said I think he’s a bust.      I think you are mixing me up with other people in this thread.  I traded for him this past week and got crushed by his near goose egg in standard scoring.  I agree that he’s a mild disappointment in ppr and a moderate disappointment in standard leagues.  Hoping better days ahead.  

Edited by rickyg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2017 at 8:28 PM, rickyg said:

In ppr he's been pretty good.  In standard he's been a wr2/3

This is what you wrote. You're right though...looking back, it was others who ripped him worse. And the data backs up what I said...he has been better then a WR 2/3 type...significantly better. You'll be happy you bought him. :thumbup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some perspective on where he is valued right now I just managed to acquire him (12 team, super-flex, PPR redraft).

I gave up Carlos Hyde and Devin Funchess.  I feel that I still had to overpay a little but I could afford it.

HTH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Chaka said:

For some perspective on where he is valued right now I just managed to acquire him (12 team, super-flex, PPR redraft).

I gave up Carlos Hyde and Devin Funchess.  I feel that I still had to overpay a little but I could afford it.

HTH

I do not see that as an overpayment - I think you got a bargain.  Hyde is a most every week player, Funchess is a roulette player - and now you got an every week player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I do not see that as an overpayment - I think you got a bargain.  Hyde is a most every week player, Funchess is a roulette player - and now you got an every week player.

It's a funny thing about Hyde but dude has been a clear every week player with one dud game.  He has been incredibly consistent and has utilization and he produces on that utilization.  #9 RB in my league putting up 13.2 ppg. Hyde should change his name to Carlos Dangerfield.

I love Thomas, obviously I do, but he has also had one dud game (in one fewer game played than Hyde, which increases Thomas' value as he is past his bye) is not utilized nearly as consistently as Hyde (proportionately, as RBs should get more touches overall) and, ultimately is putting up 11.6 ppg, which makes him WR#20 in my league right now.

Funchess is totally a dart throw but over his last four games has gotten 10, 9, 8 & 9 targets (36 targets) he looks dialed in for targets (at least if/when Olsen returns) and Thomas has 35 targets over his last four.  Obviously Brees>>>>>>Cam as a passer which is another reason I am happy I made the deal.

I think the lesson learned is that people cling very strongly to draft position (Thomas went 2:11 & Hyde went 5:10) and even when trying to "buy low" you have to be ready to pay.

I could afford it but I absolutely feel I overpaid: I gave up the #9 RB (with no reason to think he will regress) and #27 WR (a bye week filler with an expectation for high variance) in my league for the #20 WR (with every hope that he will finish top 10).

Edited by Chaka
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chaka said:

It's a funny thing about Hyde but dude has been a clear every week player with one dud game.  He has been incredibly consistent and has utilization and he produces on that utilization.  #9 RB in my league putting up 13.2 ppg. Hyde should change his name to Carlos Dangerfield.

I love Thomas, obviously I do, but he has also had one dud game (in one fewer game played than Hyde, which increases Thomas' value as he is past his bye) is not utilized nearly as consistently as Hyde (proportionately, as RBs should get more touches overall) and, ultimately is putting up 11.6 ppg, which makes him WR#20 in my league right now.

Funchess is totally a dart throw but over his last four games has gotten 10, 9, 8 & 9 targets (36 targets) he looks dialed in for targets (at least if/when Olsen returns) and Thomas has 35 targets over his last four.  Obviously Brees>>>>>>Cam as a passer which is another reason I am happy I made the deal.

I think the lesson learned is that people cling very strongly to draft position (Thomas went 2:11 & Hyde went 5:10) and even when trying to "buy low" you have to be ready to pay.

I could afford it but I absolutely feel I overpaid: I gave up the #9 RB (with no reason to think he will regress) and #27 WR (a bye week filler with an expectation for high variance) in my league for the #20 WR (with every hope that he will finish top 10).

Seems a fair redraft trade. Absolute steal if it were dynasty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2017 at 6:39 AM, Bronco Billy said:

People’s penchant to panic is amazing.  Weeks 1-4 he was a top 10 WR.  Weeks 2-4 he was a top 5 WR.  Then he has a bye and a poor game and suddenly he’s a disappointment.  My goodness people.

Probably has a lot to do with ridiculous expectations going into the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read the edited thread title? And I’m. It sure what the cautionary part of this tale is?  Did anyone who drafted or traded for Michael thomas bench him, drop him or sell him low this week after the sticker?  I know I didn’t. He’s locked and loaded in my lineup.  What’s the cautionary tale?

Edited by rickyg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rickyg said:

I read the edited thread title? And I’m. It sure what the cautionary part of this tale is?  Did anyone who drafted or traded for Michael thomas bench him, drop him or sell him low this week after the sticker?  I know I didn’t. He’s locked and loses in my lineup.  What’s the cautionary tale?

Answered your own question?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rickyg said:

Glad he was able to salvage his day.  Bree’s was off today.  I saw him miss thomas twice for a td.   Better days ahead hopefully.  

He's a good player on a good offense but he isn't a great player and the offense is running through the RBs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please be a veteran rest day.
 

Quote

 

Michael Thomas (knee) didn't practice on Wednesday.

Thomas must have picked up the injury in Sunday's win over Green Bay. It's hard to speculate on his status for Week 8, though if he's limited or absent, it would obviously open up targets for Ted Ginn. Thomas has gone for at least 80 yards in four of six games this season.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure hope this is minor but no Saints beat writers seem to know. Some good news is that he was out there in open portion of beginning of practice, not tucked away in training room or off getting seen by a doc.

I went back and re-watched his last catch, which was at the 8:25 mark. After the catch he goes to make a move and one leg kind of slides on the grass awkwardly but not that bad, he did not get bent back or anything. He got up looking fine. Remained in game most of that series but never got another target but Brees never attempted another pass to a WR or TE, just some throws to Ingram. When they came out for the final series with a little more than 4 minutes left Michael Thomas did not return, Brandon Coleman operated as the lone WR but afraid I've not paid attention to Saints games to know if this is normal when they are in obvious running downs and only use one WR.

 

So all in all video seems minor as can be. I feel like I do a good job of noticing players who look banged up or not quite right and he looked normal to me the entire game, all the  way through his last catch.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Sure hope this is minor but no Saints beat writers seem to know. Some good news is that he was out there in open portion of beginning of practice, not tucked away in training room or off getting seen by a doc.

I went back and re-watched his last catch, which was at the 8:25 mark. After the catch he goes to make a move and one leg kind of slides on the grass awkwardly but not that bad, he did not get bent back or anything. He got up looking fine. Remained in game most of that series but never got another target but Brees never attempted another pass to a WR or TE, just some throws to Ingram. When they came out for the final series with a little more than 4 minutes left Michael Thomas did not return, Brandon Coleman operated as the lone WR but afraid I've not paid attention to Saints games to know if this is normal when they are in obvious running downs and only use one WR.

 

So all in all video seems minor as can be. I feel like I do a good job of noticing players who look banged up or not quite right and he looked normal to me the entire game, all the  way through his last catch.

He looked fine to me.

Wed stud maintenance day

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing definitive yet, but early word from Rotoworld is promising:

Saints coach Sean Payton said Michael Thomas' knee injury is not significant or a long-term concern.

Thomas sat out practice Wednesday because of the issue. Payton did not have anything else to say on the matter, and the comment does little to clear up Thomas' availability for this week. Hopefully the injury report on Thursday gives us a better indication. Oct 26 - 10:00 AM

Source: Mike Triplett on Twitter

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, menobrown said:

Sure hope this is minor but no Saints beat writers seem to know. Some good news is that he was out there in open portion of beginning of practice, not tucked away in training room or off getting seen by a doc.

I went back and re-watched his last catch, which was at the 8:25 mark. After the catch he goes to make a move and one leg kind of slides on the grass awkwardly but not that bad, he did not get bent back or anything. He got up looking fine. Remained in game most of that series but never got another target but Brees never attempted another pass to a WR or TE, just some throws to Ingram. When they came out for the final series with a little more than 4 minutes left Michael Thomas did not return, Brandon Coleman operated as the lone WR but afraid I've not paid attention to Saints games to know if this is normal when they are in obvious running downs and only use one WR.

 

So all in all video seems minor as can be. I feel like I do a good job of noticing players who look banged up or not quite right and he looked normal to me the entire game, all the  way through his last catch.

I'm a little concerned because in other games that's been Thomas on the field in one WR sets. Coleman going out there right after Thomas has the slip on the grass gives me pause. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rotoworld reports him back at practice.  Doesn't seem to be a lot of concern...

Michael Thomas (knee) returned to Saints practice Thursday.

He'll likely be listed as "limited." The Saints are laughably opaque with injury "updates," but there's zero reason to believe Thomas is in danger of missing Week 8. Oct 26 - 3:04 PM

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Quote

Updating an earlier report, Michael Thomas (ankle) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

Thomas was originally reported as a nonparticipant but was apparently limited with an ankle issue. It's a new injury for Thomas, though it shouldn't keep him from playing Sunday at Buffalo. The second-year wideout has averaged 58.8 yards during his four-game touchdown drought.

Source: Nick Underhill on Twitter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Michael Thomas hauled in 9-of-10 targets for 117 yards in the Saints' Week 10 win over the Bills.

Thomas had been limited to mostly short catches on quick slants early in the game, but he exploded for a couple big catches at the end of the second quarter including a great 28-yard gain in which he went up high for the catch and then broke a few tackles to set up a field goal. He kept things going after the break, making a spectacular leaping grab to keep the chains moving on the opening drive of the third quarter and converting a fourth down in the final quarter. Unfortunately, Drew Brees only had to throw five times in the second half as the Saints dominated with the running game, and what could have been a massive game for Thomas ended up just being a good one. Even though Thomas has yet to really break out this season, he will be a quality WR1 next week against Washington.

Nov 12 - 4:05 PM

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, LivingTheDream said:

he's really good at football.

He certainly is, but quite frankly, he has under performed this year to date. Many considered him a top 5 WR coming into the season at the very minimum a top 10. In my league he is the 21st WR in total points so far this year. Here' to hoping he takes this good game and catches fire the rest of the year. Needs to start getting in the endzone for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Joe Bryant changed the title to WR Michael Thomas, NO

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...