What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (1 Viewer)

He certainly is, but quite frankly, he has under performed this year to date. Many considered him a top 5 WR coming into the season at the very minimum a top 10. In my league he is the 21st WR in total points so far this year. Here' to hoping he takes this good game and catches fire the rest of the year. Needs to start getting in the endzone for sure.
Agreed. He's better in real life than for fantasy this season. In fantasy, his upside has been capped by the strength of the NO defense and running game. It seems like every week Thomas is playing for 3 quarters and they ice the game in the 4th. 

Brees is on pace for his worst statistical season since 2007. 

At some point you have to think Defenses make an effort to focus on their running game and they can exploit the pass opportunities. Let’s hope that’s the case and maybe it hits at just the right time for those of us looking at the playoffs. 

He certainly is, but quite frankly, he has under performed this year to date. Many considered him a top 5 WR coming into the season at the very minimum a top 10. In my league he is the 21st WR in total points so far this year. Here' to hoping he takes this good game and catches fire the rest of the year. Needs to start getting in the endzone for sure.
14th in ppr here, should move into the top 10 after today.  :shrug:

How are we viewing him this weekend? Is josh Norman going to give him trouble? Are they just going to run it all over skins or are we looking at shootout?

I thought he would blow up with Cooks gone. He's not even meeting his rookie year numbers. He certainly is a solid starter though. Just not worth his late first or early second round draft position. I'm still hoping he catches fire down the stretch here and makes it a worthwhile pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
In redraft standard leagues, he is barely rosterable. I also dont roster people based off of names, I do it based of production.

His longest catch is 33 yards, a RB has a longer catch than him at 36. I mean theya re using him as a possession WR and throwing TDs to Ginn, Coleman and their RBs. In standard leagues, his receptions dont matter, so again...he isnt even rosterable in standard leagues. 2 TDs will not cut it. Rishard Matthews and Paul Richardson have more than that.

Cutting Thomas for Rishard Matthews or Paul Richardson in any format is, at best a highly questionable move. At worst it's...

I didnt say I was, but clearly reading what you want instead of what was stated had to be a mistake on your part. Also, names dont score points for that matter and hope of them scoring points dont work either.

In redraft standard leagues, he is barely rosterable. I also dont roster people based off of names, I do it based of production.

His longest catch is 33 yards, a RB has a longer catch than him at 36. I mean theya re using him as a possession WR and throwing TDs to Ginn, Coleman and their RBs. In standard leagues, his receptions dont matter, so again...he isnt even rosterable in standard leagues. 2 TDs will not cut it. Rishard Matthews and Paul Richardson have more than that.
In standard leagues he is still in the top 20 WRs for the season.  There is production, just not enough because of the TDs.  If he is "barely rosterable", where do you have him ranked going forward?

Since he's barely rosterable, please cut Michael Thomas from your team so you can stop posting this nonsense in the Michael Thomas thread. 

Lol ok. I can't think of any league that wouldn't roster a guy who's averaging a double digit floor every week.

Will the Michael Thomas truthers at least Agree that he isn’t the elite wr1 we all thought he would be in preseason?  He’s a very good wr on a team that is focused on the run game, defense, and spreading the ball to the rbs, WRs and te.   

He’s not a total bust.  But he’s also not what we had hoped for when we drafted him high 2nd RD (some people first RD).  

He is MUCH better in ppr leagues than standard.  Still a wr1 in ppr I believe.  Standard more like mid tier wr2.  

Will the Michael Thomas truthers at least Agee that he isn’t the elite wr1 we all thought he would be in preseason?  He’s a very good wr on a way that is focused on the run game, defense, and spreading the ball to the rbs, WRs and te.   

He’s not a total bust.  But he’s also not what we had hoped for when we drafted him high 2nd RD (some people first RD).  

He is MUCH better in ppr leagues than standard.  Still a wr1 in ppr I believe.  Standard more like mid tier wr2.  
You believe correctly. He's #9 in my league. Ahead of JJ, Evans, Dez, etc. I have no regrets taking him and even without the TD's he is as safe a bet to set and forget as any other player. 

Will the Michael Thomas truthers at least Agee that he isn’t the elite wr1 we all thought he would be in preseason?  He’s a very good wr on a way that is focused on the run game, defense, and spreading the ball to the rbs, WRs and te.   

The TDs aren't there. He is on pace for more targets, catches and yards than last year.

TDs are just too fungible to reliably predict.  After consecutive seasons of 19, 10, 22, 25 & 15 TDs Emmitt Smith had four TDs in 1997 at 28 years old.  After scoring 15 & 17 TDs in his first two seasons Curtis Martin had five TDs in 1997 at 24 years old (I remember this well because they were my 1st and 2nd round picks that season).

Sadly these things happen but it isn't because anyone made a mistake evaluating Thomas, he's still producing.

Here's 2017's preseason ADP.   I'm having a much harder time with the guys in Bold.  Michael Thomas is the least of my worries.

1. Antonio Brown  -  #1 in PPR

2. Julio Jones

3. Mike Evans

4. Odell Beckham Jr

5. AJ Green  - #7 in PPR

6. Jordy Nelson

7. Michael Thomas  -  #8 in PPR

8. Amari Cooper

9. Dez Bryant

10.  Brandin Cooks  -  #10 in PPR

Stating the obvious here but maybe we get a little positive regression to the mean on TDs just in time for the FF playoffs?
I think the percentages say that he almost has to finally find the end zone. It's been so frustrating.  When you see the score change and the Saints scored a touchdown.  Check the app.  It's Ginn or Coleman or Ingram or Kumara.  Then you look at the drive and Thomas had a 24 yard reception to help get them there.  Just got to keep plugging him and in and crossing your fingers. And realize there's a real good chance that he's only getting you points for his 70 yards. 

I didnt say I was, but clearly reading what you want instead of what was stated had to be a mistake on your part. Also, names dont score points for that matter and hope of them scoring points dont work either.
I didn't say you did.  But the bolded seems to indicate that you don't believe he should be rostered (or barely so) in standard leagues. Whether or not you think Matthews or Richardson are rosterable in that format is debatable, I guess, but your statement seems to strongly indicate as much.

Please feel free to clarify. No judgement here. 

I think the percentages say that he almost has to finally find the end zone. It's been so frustrating.  When you see the score change and the Saints scored a touchdown.  Check the app.  It's Ginn or Coleman or Ingram or Kumara.  Then you look at the drive and Thomas had a 24 yard reception to help get them there.  Just got to keep plugging him and in and crossing your fingers. And realize there's a real good chance that he's only getting you points for his 70 yards. 
True,  Thomas also had some decent weeks against Atlanta last season.   He plays them in weeks 14 and 16.  Points will be scored.  

2016 - Wk 3:   7-71-1

2016 - Wk 17:  10-156-1

He definitely hasn't performed like an elite fantasy WR1. A real life WR1? Different question and I think he has, but maybe nobody on this forum really cares.

Saints suffered some injuries on defense (Okafor out for season and Lattimore hurt his ankle). If their D regresses a bit, that should help Thomas down the stretch. In most games (besides yesterday), he's been putting up his stats in 3 quarters of work as the Saints are playing with a big lead in the 4th quarter. 

He definitely hasn't performed like an elite fantasy WR1. A real life WR1? Different question and I think he has, but maybe nobody on this forum really cares.

Saints suffered some injuries on defense (Okafor out for season and Lattimore hurt his ankle). If their D regresses a bit, that should help Thomas down the stretch. In most games (besides yesterday), he's been putting up his stats in 3 quarters of work as the Saints are playing with a big lead in the 4th quarter. 
I think Thomas is a WR1. Fantasy wise the Saints are running the ball a lot more this year. Thomas still usually gets the most targets every week on his team, but Brees has overthrown him several times, especially in the endzone. 

Some need to get in their head not everyones leagues are the same, thats why people say and qualify their remarks with "barely" and "short bench" and "redraft" and "standard." So respond to how they qualify their remarks not to how your league works. If you do not play in short bench standard TD heavy leagues, you really shouldnt even respond to my remark and just pass on by.

Clearly you wouldnt cut him in a dyno.

clearly you wouldnt cut him in a PPR redraft.

But in TD heavy short bench standard redraft, yes...you can cut him and get better value since hoping doesnt win you weeks. Thats is what I mean by "barely" rosterable. In bonus leagues he doesnt have much value either since he doesnt go over 100 yards. I have not cut him, but I have cut Ajayi. Thomas value is still there, but barely in leagues I qualified. He is WR 35 in standard td heavy leagues i am in.

Some need to get in their head not everyones leagues are the same, thats why people say and qualify their remarks with "barely" and "short bench" and "redraft" and "standard." So respond to how they qualify their remarks not to how your league works. If you do not play in short bench standard TD heavy leagues, you really shouldnt even respond to my remark and just pass on by.

But in TD heavy short bench standard redraft, yes...you can cut him and get better value since hoping doesnt win you weeks. Thats is what I mean by "barely" rosterable. In bonus leagues he doesnt have much value either since he doesnt go over 100 yards. I have not cut him, but I have cut Ajayi. Thomas value is still there, but barely in leagues I qualified. He is WR 35 in standard td heavy leagues i am in.
Actually the onus is on you to specify that your comment pertains to short bench standard TD heavy leagues, not on everyone else to figure it out.

I can't think of any circumstances where you'd drop him. He's a disappointment at his draft position, but there certainly isn't anyone more productive on the waiver wire. 

On my short bench waiver wire? Stills is tempting me this week.

Kenny Stills seems to be someone who is on lots of wires and plays NE twice down this stretch and the first week of playoffs. He already has more points than Thomas and could put up more down the stretch.

Thomas value is in PPR and Dynos right now, in TD heavy he is just average if that. If you get past the name, its reasonable. Ginn and Coleman have more value than Thomas in TD heavy leagues. Brees loves Coleman in the RZ.

WheelsUp said:

Okay, then will you own that you would endorse dumping Thomas for Richardson or Matthews in those leagues?

The two biggest things holding him back are two things no one saw coming.  

NO running the ball with the best 2 headed monster in the league.

And how good their defense has been.

If one of those starts to change it will help his numbers I think.

The defense started to show some cracks last week but Washington's offense is better than most.

He plays ATL twice in FF playoffs.  :thumbup:

Bench him, drop him, do what you want. He's going to be in my starting lineup (along with Julio Jones who's having the same bad luck).

I played in a TD only league once....ALstott was an absolute beast.

Dumbest league ever.

Why on earth would someone make an argument based on THOSE league settings...while not mentioning he meant ONLY in those league settings? Dumbest....

nm, I like it here

The two biggest things holding him back are two things no one saw coming.  

NO running the ball with the best 2 headed monster in the league.

And how good their defense has been.

If one of those starts to change it will help his numbers I think.

The defense started to show some cracks last week but Washington's offense is better than most.
the only thing holding him back is lack of touchdowns - he has 3 redzone targets this year and that is because Brees is throwing it much less near the goal line.

As backwards as it is, I'm actually kind of excited that their schedule toughens up in the coming weeks.

Hopefully these teams can either A) hold their run game in check and/or B) keep up with them in points, so that the passing game will be more relied on.

Prob just wishful thinking from a Brees / Thomas owner :P

It is all about adjusting expectations...I'm sure most (I know I was) were looking for more production but right now he is pretty much an automatic for 7/8 receptions and around 75 yards receiving...if he is your #1 you maybe in some trouble...if he isn't you now know his floor and there is no question he has the talent to exceed those expectations which could put you over the top if your WR corps is not relying on him too much...

I played in a TD only league once....ALstott was an absolute beast.

Dumbest league ever.

Why on earth would someone make an argument based on THOSE league settings...while not mentioning he meant ONLY in those league settings? Dumbest....

nm, I like it here

Then please don't pick back up the "dumbest" line of comments. 

Users who are viewing this thread