What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld take:

Michael Thomas (ankle) won't play in Week 15 against the Chiefs.

Welp. He'll be replaced by Emmanuel Sanders and Tre'Quan Smith in a game that's slated with the highest total (52) on Sunday. Alvin Kamara was the direct beneficiary without Thomas earlier this year, averaging 9.7 targets and a team-high 27.1% target share from Weeks 2-8, but Sanders wasn't available for two of those performances. Given the game environment, Sanders, Kamara, Smith, and even Jared Cook can all be viewed as terrific options in lineups for Sunday.

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter

Dec 18, 2020, 4:02 PM ET

Moe Green said:
Imagine drafting Thomas instead of Davante with your Round 1 pick.
I did that. I then had to "settle" for Davante in the second when the guys I really wanted were all taken. Looks like I had this great WR strategy, when in reality fate had to force the guy onto my team against my "better" judgment. I regretted the pick at the time. 

I sure am good at this game...

Pure speculation as I haven't even heard this mentioned anywhere, but is there any chance that Thomas' "injuries" are continued fallout from Brees' comments this summer regarding kneeling during the national anthem?  IIRC, wasn't Thomas the most vocal against Brees?  Did they ever say who the fight was with in Week 5?  Usually, when players get into a fight at practice, it doesn't take too long to find out who the fight was with.  Any chance that it was a major blowup between Thomas and Brees? 

They basically have only played parts of three games together this year, with Thomas getting injured week 1.  Then as he was about to return for week 5 (I believe), instead he gets suspended for getting into a fight at practice, and afterwards doesn't come back because of a new injury.  Returns week 9, then Brees got hurt week 10.

Again, this is purely speculation on my part as I haven't heard this anywhere, but the team keeping a lid on who was involved in the fight makes it seem strange.  Why keep a lid on in, unless the other player involved would turn it into a much bigger deal? And imagine the story and the publicity if two of the Saints' best players were having major problems due to race-related issues.  That would become THE story, and could end up distracting the entire NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pure speculation as I haven't even heard this mentioned anywhere, but is there any chance that Thomas' "injuries" are continued fallout from Brees' comments this summer regarding kneeling during the national anthem?  IIRC, wasn't Thomas the most vocal against Brees?  Did they ever say who the fight was with in Week 5?  Usually, when players get into a fight at practice, it doesn't take too long to find out who the fight was with.  Any chance that it was a major blowup between Thomas and Brees? 

They basically have only played parts of three games together this year, with Thomas getting injured week 1.  Then as he was about to return for week 5 (I believe), instead he gets suspended for getting into a fight at practice, and afterwards doesn't come back because of a new injury.  Returns week 9, then Brees got hurt week 10.

Again, this is purely speculation on my part as I haven't heard this anywhere, but the team keeping a lid on who was involved in the fight makes it seem strange.  Why keep a lid on in, unless the other player involved would turn it into a much bigger deal? And imagine the story and the publicity if two of the Saints' best players were having major problems due to race-related issues.  That would become THE story, and could end up distracting the entire NFL.
Fight was with CJ Gardner-Johnson

Imagine turning down an offer of Dobbins + Tannehill + Godwin + Williams+ a1st Rounder for Thomas.
What up TROLL!  Fun fact, there was no 1st rounder in that offer, FAKE NEWS!  Funner fact, my team scored more points with MT than it would have with Godwin ( I would never have started Dobbins)....I'm about to win $200 for 2nd most points thanks to not taking Godwin over Thomas which was the only starter for me in that deal.  So go ahead and crawl back into your hole now that we know the out come of my decision for my team. : Mic Drop:

What up TROLL!  Fun fact, there was no 1st rounder in that offer, FAKE NEWS!  Funner fact, my team scored more points with MT than it would have with Godwin ( I would never have started Dobbins)....I'm about to win $200 for 2nd most points thanks to not taking Godwin over Thomas which was the only starter for me in that deal.  So go ahead and crawl back into your hole now that we know the out come of my decision for my team. : Mic Drop:
Nice try. 

Probably my worst draft pick, relative to expectations, in 20 years of playing. Even when briefly healthy, produced next to nothing. Thought Adams was a bit disappointing last year, if only I had the crystal ball to have MT last year and Adams this year. 

I don’t know what you mean. Are you saying that there was a first round pick offered to me? I guess you must know more about the offer than I do! Go scroll up and read it yourself fool.I don’t know what you mean. Are you saying that there was a first round pick offered to me? I guess you must know more about the offer than I do! Go scroll up and read it yourself fool.
Classy 

Probably my worst draft pick, relative to expectations, in 20 years of playing. Even when briefly healthy, produced next to nothing. Thought Adams was a bit disappointing last year, if only I had the crystal ball to have MT last year and Adams this year. 
Well, week 1 was the only week he was healthy obviously.

Well, week 1 was the only week he was healthy obviously.
Perhaps but he played the vast majority of 7 games (got injured on like the last play of week 1), you'd think he was at least mostly healthy for those games. Not a single td and 2 games where he just about made it past 100 yards. Kind of hope for a bit more from a first rounder.

Perhaps but he played the vast majority of 7 games (got injured on like the last play of week 1), you'd think he was at least mostly healthy for those games. Not a single td and 2 games where he just about made it past 100 yards. Kind of hope for a bit more from a first rounder.
I totally get it wanting more from your 1st rounder.   I've been playing FF for 20 years, and I know high ankle sprains don't go away in 5-6 weeks.  I also know your 1st rounder doesn't define your team.  

I totally get it wanting more from your 1st rounder.   I've been playing FF for 20 years, and I know high ankle sprains don't go away in 5-6 weeks.  I also know your 1st rounder doesn't define your team.  
Fair to say a first rounder shouldn't define your team. Also fair to point out that although injury can't be blamed on the player (if memory serves it was something clumsy that Kamara did), you kind of want your first rounder to also preferably not get involved in boneheaded and destructive physical altercations with teammates. Even beyond injury, this player has been a total disappointment.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Michael Thomas (ankle, IR) is expected to practice Wednesday.

Thomas has made "good progress" since getting placed on IR in Week 14. He'll practice on a limited basis Wednesday before ramping things up later in the week. This has been the plan all along for Thomas. Barring a setback, Thomas should return for Sunday's Wild Card matchup with Chicago.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jan 6, 2021, 10:55 AM ET

Saints activated WR Michael Thomas (ankle) from injured reserve. 

Thomas returns after missing the minimum three games. Whether he is anywhere close to 100 percent healthy is another matter. Thomas enters the postseason having made just seven appearances in 2020, only 2.5 of which came with Drew Brees under center. Thomas will still be a premium DFS play for Sunday's three-game slate, but with so many variables, both his floor and ceiling are much lower than usual. 

Jan 9, 2021, 4:30 PM ET

Michael Thomas caught 5-of-7 targets for 73 yards and one touchdown in the Saints' Wild Card win over the Bears.

After going scoreless across seven injury-riddled appearances in the regular season, Thomas found the end zone to start off 2021 and the Saints' playoff run. He got the scoring started from 11 yards out in the first quarter, and it was the only touchdown of the first half. Drew Brees under center is much better for Thomas in the box score. The Saints will host the Bucs in the Divisional Round next weekend. Thomas actually played in both games against Tampa Bay this season, totaling 8-69-0 on 11 targets in those games.

Jan 10, 2021, 8:29 PM ET

Michael Thomas failed to catch any of his four targets in the Saints' Divisional Round loss to the Bucs.

It's a fitting end to what was a forgettable season for Thomas. He missed nine games to injury during the regular season and didn't catch a touchdown Weeks 1-16 before scoring last week in the Wild Card win over the Bears. Thomas had just two 100-yard games on the year. Drew Brees wasn't nearly his normal self, and Thomas had to catch passes from Taysom Hill for a month. It's a likely outlier year for Thomas, but with Brees headed for retirement, it will be interesting to see what the Saints do under center. If Hill gets the job, it will be a major ding to Thomas' fantasy value. Maybe the Saints will re-sign Jameis Winston to start.

Jan 17, 2021, 10:18 PM ET

Michael Thomas had an 11.4 percent target share in four games with Drew Brees this season. 

Thomas caught none of the four targets he saw in the Saints' Divisional Round loss to the Bucs, smothered by Tampa CB Carlton Davis, who later flamed Thomas on Twitter. Interpersonal conflict might explain why Brees stopped looking Thomas' way this season after Thomas enjoyed a target share of around 30 percent from 2017 to 2019. Whatever the reason, Thomas went from the most reliable receiver in fantasy football to little more than a WR4 with Brees under center. Thomas will be better off with Taysom Hill, who targeted Thomas at a far higher rate this season. That assumes the Saints go with Hill as their 2021 starter. 

RELATED: 

Drew Brees

, Taysom Hill

SOURCE: Adam Levitan on Twitter 

Jan 18, 2021, 9:30 AM ET

Michael Thomas is likely to undergo surgeries this offseason to repair damage in his ankle. 

This could explain Thomas' cryptic Tuesday morning Twitter posts and his subpar performance in the Divisional Round against the Bucs. ESPN's Adam Schefter said Thomas is "likely" to opt for surgery to repair "both the torn deltoid and other injured ligaments in his high ankle." Thomas missed eight weeks with a high ankle injury he suffered against Tampa in Week 1. He managed to play in nine regular season games and both of the Saints' postseason contests, though he appeared less than healthy in all but a few games. Schefter said Thomas "knew it was likely Drew Brees’ last year and didn’t want to miss out trying win a Super Bowl with him." With that dream dashed, Thomas will look to get right before likely catching passes from Taysom Hill in 2021. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 19, 2021, 11:01 AM ET

That's interesting, and not all that surprising to hear he gutted it out to play on Brees' last hurrah. Could make MT a good buy low candidate for frustrated dynasty managers.

The Athletic's Larry Holder reported Saints officials were "happy" with Michael Thomas' response to his midseason benching. 

After a lengthy absence following Thomas' Week 1 ankle injury, Thomas was suspended one game for punching cornerback C.J. Gardner-Johnson at practice. Holder said coaches and front office officials were pleased with how Thomas returned from the suspension. He said "there’s confidence that he will return to his 2019 form after undergoing surgery to repair his injured ankle." Thomas never fully recovered from his Week 1 injury, and he's expected to undergo surgery to repair the torn deltoid and other injured ligaments in his high ankle. Probably we won't know for a while whether Taysom Hill or Jameis Winston will be throwing passes to Thomas in 2021, but either way, it'll be an upgrade over faltering late-career Drew Brees. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 1, 2021, 8:26 AM ET

He’s older, was injured, had attitude problems and lost his HOF QB

Other than that, no reason at all
No need to be condescending.  He isn’t 30. He had a high ankle sprain. The coaches were happy with how he responded to his benching.  Winston is 1 season removed from a 5000 yd season.  I’ll gladly buy from anyone trying to sell.  I’m back to playing dynasty from a 10+ year hiatus.  People really seem to sour on players more quickly than in the past. 

eta:   Thomas is 1 season removed from a record setting season.  He hasn’t fallen off any cliff here.  

Thomas is a volume guy who IMO was highly dependent upon a HOF QB that lost his fastball and needed a volume short to intermediate target. 

Users who are viewing this thread