What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bernie Sanders HQ! *A decent human being. (3 Viewers)

SIDA! said:
Sinn Fein said:
Better sit down for this one.

New Quinnipiac national poll out this morning:

Clinton 44

Sanders 42

Mountains of salt needed - the poll asks "Democrats and Democrat Leaners" But still, a crazy tightening in a national poll.
Remarkable accomplishment for Bernie.

Not sure that those numbers are legit because I don't know what they define as Democrat Leaners. Many states coming up after New Hampshire aren't open primaries so you have to be registered Dem to vote in the Dem primary. Not sure which ones those are...but I am pretty sure the bulk of them are like that where NH is more the exception to the rule.

My understanding based on CNN or MSNBC reporting last night (I was switching back and forth) is that Hillary is doing better with registered Dems but Bernie is crushing it with "independents." Not sure if that was a national observation or just specific to NH though as I was doing other stuff at the time the TV was on.
Quinnipiac polls always seem to be rough on clinton i've observed but even if she really has an 8 point lead its great news at this point.

open primaries are...

SIDA! said:
Sinn Fein said:
Better sit down for this one.

New Quinnipiac national poll out this morning:

Clinton 44

Sanders 42

Mountains of salt needed - the poll asks "Democrats and Democrat Leaners" But still, a crazy tightening in a national poll.
Remarkable accomplishment for Bernie.

Not sure that those numbers are legit because I don't know what they define as Democrat Leaners. Many states coming up after New Hampshire aren't open primaries so you have to be registered Dem to vote in the Dem primary. Not sure which ones those are...but I am pretty sure the bulk of them are like that where NH is more the exception to the rule.

My understanding based on CNN or MSNBC reporting last night (I was switching back and forth) is that Hillary is doing better with registered Dems but Bernie is crushing it with "independents." Not sure if that was a national observation or just specific to NH though as I was doing other stuff at the time the TV was on.
Quinnipiac polls always seem to be rough on clinton i've observed but even if she really has an 8 point lead its great news at this point.

open primaries are...

There's no real barrier to voting in either primary in Ohio. They just assign you to the party you request a ballot for.

Thank's for the Ohio catch Plasma, Wikipedia didn't have it. Sounds like just as you described it but reading the technicalities is pretty funny http://tomwfox.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/ohio-is-a-semi-open-primary/

From 2012, The blog Daily Kos, which launched Operation Hilarity to encourage Democratic crossovers in Michigan, said in a post Wednesday that it was shifting focus for Super Tuesday to North Dakota, Tennessee and Vermont.

It didn’t include the Buckeye state — maybe because the Republican National Committee put out a list that says the Ohio primary is “closed.”

Let's try to keep posting the match-up polls as they come out, the media is misleading Americans into believing Bernie Sanders is not electable, we can note the truth here, and share it with people we know so they aren't mislead.

Can always find the polls on http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/#

2/5 General Election Qunnipiac

Trump vs Sanders Sanders +10
Trump vs Clinton Clinton +5

Cruz vs Clinton Tie
Cruz Vs Sanders Sanders +4

Rubio vs Clinton Rubio +7
Rubio vs Sanders Tie

If Bernie wins the nomination, I'd bet that Hillary supporters (who are almost 100% Democrats) would hold their nose and vote for Bernie in the national election. I don't know if it's true the other way around. Bernie draws in so many diverse groups of people that might not vote (especially for Hillary) if Bernie isn't on the ticket.

Gonna be a wild ride!

I really didn't see the questioning by Maddow and Todd as being biased or unfair.

Once Matthews jumped in afterwards was different story
Agreed. I watched it on tape so I didn't see the Matthews nonsense but the debate itself seemed fairly moderated.
You didn't notice Hillary's ability to interrupt and rebut at will last night compared to what they allowed for Bernie?
I came away thinking Maddow and Todd did a good job but you're right, they really weren't moderators in the sense they didn't moderate anything, they were really hosts asking questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Bernie wins the nomination, I'd bet that Hillary supporters (who are almost 100% Democrats) would hold their nose and vote for Bernie in the national election. I don't know if it's true the other way around. Bernie draws in so many diverse groups of people that might not vote (especially for Hillary) if Bernie isn't on the ticket.

Gonna be a wild ride!
Bernie with Hillary as VP would beat anyone IMO.

Biggest concern about Bernie for me is that women will stay home but with her on the ticket they'd have to vote...not as good as a woman President but better than nothing.

Today was the first I'd heard of Bernie's plan to tax financial transactions--0.005% for equities, 0.001% for bonds etc. I have to say that this is one of the worst thought out plans I've ever seen and anyone supporting Bernie should really rethink that support.
The strategy of defending HFT isn't going to sway my vote. Why is this a negative?
I made a mistake--the proposed taxes are actually 0.5% for equities and 0.1% for bonds.

HFT would probably be the most impacted group but the entire industry would be hurt and in turn the country. I know Wall Street is a dirty word in this thread but the industry is critical to the country and hurting its competitiveness won't end well.
Yawn. I already liquidated my retirement to keep it out of the hands of the Wall Street pirates.

:oldunsure:

Another issue has popped up for Bernie - apparently Michigan is on Spring Break the day of their primary. Not sure what percentage of kids head out of state, but given that Bernie draws a lot of support from college-age students, it could have an impact....
He could just bus in voters from out of state. Problem is Hillary already reserved all the busses.

Gonna be a wild ride!

Biggest concern about Bernie for me is that women will stay home but with her on the ticket they'd have to vote...not as good as a woman President but better than nothing.
Are you volunteering to be Bernie's food taster in that scenario?

He should pick Warren to placate female voters if he feels it necessary.

Gonna be a wild ride!
We attended a wedding for my niece, at the reception their was a group of strong democrats from MN & WI the group over 50 who for the most part had served in the military or spouse had, said they would vote GOP if Sanders was the democrate nominee, he was seen as being weak on terrorists and supporting our military. He was also viewed as as someone who increase taxes on everyone. my daughter and her boyfriend love Bernie but neither have even registered to vote.Gonna be an interesting ride, but Bernie is over looking the 50 plus voter

Gonna be a wild ride!
We attended a wedding for my niece, at the reception their was a group of strong democrats from MN & WI the group over 50 who for the most part had served in the military or spouse had, said they would vote GOP if Sanders was the democrate nominee, he was seen as being weak on terrorists and supporting our military. He was also viewed as as someone who increase taxes on everyone. my daughter and her boyfriend love Bernie but neither have even registered to vote.Gonna be an interesting ride, but Bernie is over looking the 50 plus voter
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be opposed to Sanders, but anyone who thinks he doesn't support military personnel doesn't have any idea what he's about.

US Uncut?

Good Lord.

Look at their home page.....you would think it was a website made from The Onion.
ugh, gonna make me work, i understand. :)

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/trackers/2016-01-14/sanders-says-170-experts-support-his-wall-street-plan

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/jan/13/how-much-would-bernie-sanders-health-care-plan-cos/

Gerald Friedman, a health economist at the University of Massachusetts Amherst,analyzed a different 2013 Medicare-for-all bill proposed by Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., and concluded it would be enough to cover everyone, upgrade benefits and save the country $5 trillion over a decade.
If there's one thing John Conyers is know for, it's great foresight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqOSNI7l0bQ

Gonna be a wild ride!

younger women are pumped for Bernie and older women are in the demographic that are reliable to show up and vote in elections. I think Bernie would probably want someone young as his VP. With McCain's old age, his Palin VP pick was a big deal, among other reasons. Bernie would be oldest president but Hillary would be same age as Regean, our oldest president.

We attended a wedding for my niece, at the reception their was a group of strong democrats from MN & WI the group over 50 who for the most part had served in the military or spouse had, said they would vote GOP if Sanders was the democrate nominee, he was seen as being weak on terrorists and supporting our military. He was also viewed as as someone who increase taxes on everyone. my daughter and her boyfriend love Bernie but neither have even registered to vote.

Gonna be an interesting ride, but Bernie is over looking the 50 plus voter
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be opposed to Sanders, but anyone who thinks he doesn't support military personnel doesn't have any idea what he's about.
Sure, but in a political context, the phrase "supporting our military" usually doesn't refer to supporting military personnel so much as it refers to supporting Lockheed Martin, Halliburton, and the like.

Not that I agree with his capability of being able to deliver a fraction of what he plans to do, I do think Bernie is by far and away the most genuine of the front runners. I don't trust Trump or Hillary at all.

So is this where we go to assert that the closing in the polls in Iowa was to be expected because of x,y,z but if Bernie doesn't maintain his lead he should shut it down immediately?

So is this where we go to assert that the closing in the polls in Iowa was to be expected because of x,y,z but if Bernie doesn't maintain his lead he should shut it down immediately?
I do love the false narrative of Bernie is only ahead because he is from a neighboring state.

It ignores that Dean lost in New Hampshire. It ignores that the candidates who did win were from Massachusetts - where southern New Hampshire is actually part of the Boston TV market. It ignores that in all of those cases the Massachusetts candidates started with a big lead (compared to Bernie who surged a lead after trailing badly). It ignores that the neighbor state "advantage" presupposes some sort of name recognition advantage - which did not exist in this race. It ignores the fact that Hillary Clinton won this race 8 years ago - so she does not have a negative history with the voters.

In short - its simply an excuse that the Clintonistas are dishing out, rather than wonder why she is really losing...

Does Clinton turn on the water works again?
She just cares SO MUCH. And she's a FIGHTER. A progressive WHO GETS THINGS DONE.

What exactly has she gotten done you say?

Well, um, I'M THE FIRST FEMALE RUNNING FOR POTUS! That ALONE means i'm the Progressive. Not gun loving Bernie. Give me my throne. It's MY TURN damnit!

Sinn posted this article by one of Bill's former advisers in the Hillary thread which really highlights what Bernie is up against (including the establishment media). It's a really good read.

One of the things I've been frustrated with is the media's fundamental misunderstanding of Bernie's campaign. It's not just that he's for universal healthcare, breaking up the banks, free college tuition, etc, but that the way politics is financed prevents those ideas from getting a fair hearing in the first place. Not just his ideas in particular, but any ideas that run counter to the interests of the big political donors. Hillary is not even touching this issue (for obvious reasons).

The campaign finance system is broken which influences and pollutes every aspect of the way the political game is played in this country. Taking on the monied interests is the new "third rail" of politics. An amendment repealing Citizens United should have been passed unanimously if our politicians were serious about being "for the people", yet it is barely talked about because its ramifications benefit both parties greatly.

I remember when Obama and McCain (and now Hillary) agreed that the campaign finance system was broken but they had to work within the system to raise money because to not do so would give an unfair advantage to their opponents. The astonishing thing is the way Bernie has literally put his money where his mouth is and has still been able to compete financially. It's a testament to the man and his message. It's only going to grow from here.

So yeah, read the article.
Salon? I'll pass but thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread