What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bernie Sanders HQ! *A decent human being. (5 Viewers)

timschochet said:
Well thanks. 

But if we end these free trade deals, do you think the situation will improve for those workers? They'll go from indentured servitude back to starvation where they were before. Trade is the only way to improve their conditions, period. 

And when Bernie says he wants fair trade, how do you bring that about? You can't force it. It's only brought about through a gradual raising of wages over time as consumers grow the way they are right now in China. 
Maybe we can can send them some of our excess food we pay our farmers not to grow with money we spend on bombs to keep their bosses in line.

BUT TOKENS!
To be fair to Tobias (who I like despite his pension for appealing to authority) I think that the interview in print comes off as confusing and unclear in various places. Parts of it read like an attempt to transcribe a conversation being had over coffee or beers (particularly with the interjections from multiple parties at points). Sanders also does not get in to a ton of detail for implementing his policies in that interview - and Tobias is right that it is unsatisfying in this area at some points if that's what you're hoping to get out of it.

It does seem to me like he was not prepared for in depth discussions about the mechanics of implementing breaking up the banks, legal details of what constitutes fraud and what laws exist to prosecute that fraud. I found enough in there to think he's got the knowledge, or at least approaches to obtaining the knowledge when necessary, but I can understand where others would come away thinking otherwise in regard to those issues.

I think he does give numerous clear answers to questions throughout the interview on what many of his policies are and what effects they'll likely have. But I would agree with Tobias that it would be disconcerting if Sanders was given advance notice of what was going to be asked along with what sorts of answers were expected and that what he actually said was the best he could do in that situation. And I do think political opponents will be able to use this interview, and quotes taken from the interview, against Sanders in soundbites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daily News: Okay. Last question. If you are elected, alums of James Madison High School will be atop all three branches of the United States government, Congress, the Senate, the presidency, and the Supreme Court.

Sanders: Well, not quite the Supreme...

Daily News: Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Sanders: Well, she is there, but she's not...she's like a...yeah.
First of all, that's an impressive school.

Ok I have a question: Bernie Sanders seems to me to be an authentic New Yorker. So the subway question at first makes him seem dated but hey while the man lives in Vermont and likely hasn't had to go through the subway in some time, he is actually from Brooklyn. I thought the recovery about jumping the turnstile was great, that's probably his memory from being a kid and I'm guessing a time honored right of passage of growing up in NYC. I would think a lot of people could relate to that.

Does anyone have a POV or has there been any talk about the fact that Bernie is from NYC/Brooklyn, while Hillary is not? Sure, she's Westchester by way of the Senate by way of Arkansas by way of North Chicago. Doesn't Bernie have some intrinsic advantages in that way?

To be fair to Tobias (who I like despite his pension for appealing to authority) I think that the interview in print comes off as confusing and unclear in various places. Parts of it read like an attempt to transcribe a conversation being had over coffee or beers (particularly with the interjections from multiple parties at points). Sanders also does not get in to a ton of detail for implementing his policies in that interview - and Tobias is right that it is unsatisfying in this area at some points if that's what you're hoping to get out of it.

It does seem to me like he was not prepared for in depth discussions about the mechanics of implementing breaking up the banks, legal details of what constitutes fraud and what laws exist to prosecute that fraud. I found enough in there to think he's got the knowledge, or at least approaches to obtaining the knowledge when necessary, but I can understand where others would come away thinking otherwise in regard to those issues.

I think he does give numerous clear answers to questions throughout the interview on what many of his policies are and what effects they'll likely have. But I would agree with Tobias that it would be disconcerting if Sanders was given advance notice of what was going to be asked along with what sorts of answers were expected and that what he actually said was the best he could do in that situation. And I do think political opponents will be able to use this interview, and quotes taken from the interview, against Sanders in soundbites.
He probably should have just said "I'll tell them they better stop it.".  On foreign policy he could have called Assad a reformer or that said that much of what he knows about Islam came from what his kid learned in school.

Jeremy said:
Finally my turn to vote for Bernie.  My 16 year old niece is too young to vote but wants to make a difference, so she gathered her friends to phone bank for Bernie this weekend at her house.  They made kind of a party of it. 

<-----Proud uncle. 
I've got a friend, let's call him Slomer Himpson, that wants to know if there will be more of these phone bank parties.  

But how can Sanders be unprepared to discuss the central issue of his campaign?  He shouldn't have to prepare for this stuff - he should already know all of it.  

Had these questions been posed to Liz Warren, I have little doubt that she would have extremely thorough answers and would be able to speak to the details of her policies on these issues without any warning.  

Its disconcerting to say the least, but it's not a surprise and won't sway many voters, IMO.  Those of us who believe these details matter were already largely in Clinton's camp, and those who want change through revolution don't care about how it gets done.

But how can Sanders be unprepared to discuss the central issue of his campaign?  He shouldn't have to prepare for this stuff - he should already know all of it.  

Had these questions been posed to Liz Warren, I have little doubt that she would have extremely thorough answers and would be able to speak to the details of her policies on these issues without any warning.  

Its disconcerting to say the least, but it's not a surprise and won't sway many voters, IMO.  Those of us who believe these details matter were already largely in Clinton's camp, and those who want change through revolution don't care about how it gets done.
I think we can all agree that Warren v. Sanders goes to Warren. 

Bernie's put out 10 times the details Obama ever did.  Hope and Change alone kicked Hillary's ### 8 years ago.

Has anyone read the NY Daily News interview that Sanders did? wow, what a disaster for Bernie.  Must read on CNN.
The same CNN that has this posted

For Sanders, his margin matters quite a bit. He has to win more than 7 in 10 pledged delegates going forward to actually beat Clinton to the nomination, while she only has to win a little more than 3 in 10. He needs to win with 70% to 80% of the vote in remaining states to pull this off, and polls show him only leading by a small margin.

Good posting

But how can Sanders be unprepared to discuss the central issue of his campaign?  He shouldn't have to prepare for this stuff - he should already know all of it.  Those of us who believe these details matter were already largely in Clinton's camp, and those who want change through revolution don't care about how it gets done.
I think you have valid points here. I guess I remain in the second category. He's got an excellent track record of knowing the details and synthesizing them intelligently when the need arises, so I'm not too concerned that he hasn't integrated the finer details of Dodd-Frank or the specific terms of which fraud prevention laws were broken by wrote at this stage.

@timschochet CNN includes super delegates to get to that 70% number. He needs a large percentage from here in but it is closer to 57% if I recall correctly. 

@BassNBrew Really don't get the constant "you are either a moron or a criminal to vote for Clinton" line. Does nothing to add to the conversation and you use it across multiple topics.

It's easier when your a Hillary fan because her answers are just keep feeding the corrupt broken machine.

To be honest Bernie's math is very unlikely. Only chance really is to win most of the remaining states even by a smaller margin but enough to keep her from hitting 1237 pledged delegates and convince the supers that his momentum means she's flawed and done. An indictment would also help.

Edit: not 1237...that damn number is engrained in my mind...

I'd already figured the next debate might get tense, but things should be even more interesting now given the Panama Papers stuff and this Sanders interview. Their handlers are probably going nuts rewriting talking points and debate scripts right now.

@timschochet CNN includes super delegates to get to that 70% number. He needs a large percentage from here in but it is closer to 57% if I recall correctly. 

@BassNBrew Really don't get the constant "you are either a moron or a criminal to vote for Clinton" line. Does nothing to add to the conversation and you use it across multiple topics.
:goodposting:  

Especially the last paragraph. 

To be honest Bernie's math is very unlikely. Only chance really is to win most of the remaining states even by a smaller margin but enough to keep her from hitting 1237 pledged delegates and convince the supers that his momentum means she's flawed and done. An indictment would also help.
He has to take this a state at time - if he gets a double digit win tonight it give him momentum and 2 weeks to close in NY.  If it's close tonight and he loses NY then he's close to done.

CNN Exit polls have wrongly favored Bernie in the past (like in Nevada, where they were off by 7%), so I'm a bit skeptical - but 11% would ve pretty solid.

CNN Exit polls have wrongly favored Bernie in the past (like in Nevada, where they were off by 7%), so I'm a bit skeptical - but 11% would ve pretty solid.
Yep. I agree with what Sinn said earlier. 10 points is definitely that really interesting number for Sanders. Gives him a nice mix of actual delegates and some additional momentum heading to NY for a big showdown. 

http://fivethirtyeight.com/contributors/harry-enten/

HARRY ENTEN  9:11 PM

The exit polls suggest that Sanders has not fixed his problem with black voters. He is losing them by a margin of 74 percent to 26 percent in Wisconsin. Luckily for him, they made up just 9 percent of voters. Unfortunately for Sanders, they’ll likely make up more than 15 percent of voters in the biggest delegate prizes this month: Maryland, New York and Pennsylvania.

Entire margin came from Independents it looks like. Going to be his most difficult task in the next 3 weeks. 

Users who are viewing this thread