Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Bernie Sanders HQ! *A decent human being.


Recommended Posts

On 10/3/2019 at 10:14 PM, jm192 said:

Well no, there aren't many 78 year old laborers.  And I don't expect Bernie to do a lot of hard labor.  That's the point.  Laborers can go back to laboring.  Bernie can go back to being a politician, which is obviously much less strenuous.  Even at 78.  

He is seeking to run for President. That is about as stressful a job as there is in the entire world. Trump was 70 when he started his presidency, the oldest of any US President. Bernie would be 79 if he were to be elected. IMO he has no chance. Nor should he.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

He is seeking to run for President. That is about as stressful a job as there is in the entire world. Trump was 70 when he started his presidency, the oldest of any US President. Bernie would be 79 if he were to be elected. IMO he has no chance. Nor should he.

I get what you're saying.  I just don't buy that being president and being stressed is as hard on your heart as strenuous physical activity.  

I'm not a Bernie supporter.  I'm not arguing for him.  I openly stated this would undo his chances.  But I think it's majorly overstated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, jm192 said:

I get what you're saying.  I just don't buy that being president and being stressed is as hard on your heart as strenuous physical activity.  

 

Being President is obviously extremely stressful in terms of decision making (unless of course you don’t ever care about the consequences, like our current President.) 

But I’ve often thought that, in terms of sheer physical energy, what Bernie has been doing over the last several months, running for President, requires more work than the job itself. Constant travel, constant speeches (sometimes several a day), gladhanding all day long and you need to be constantly on. And if you become the nominee this goes on for a year and a half. It has to be completely exhausting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

He should be more like Trump who always puts family first.

I'm surprised he didn't go to Canada to have his heart procedure.  I mean he was touting how great they are and how bad the US is in the debate and even used heart surgery as the example.  Another practice what you preach guy!  I'd say it looks like he got pretty good treatment here in the US

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

I'm surprised he didn't go to Canada to have his heart procedure.  I mean he was touting how great they are and how bad the US is in the debate and even used heart surgery as the example.  Another practice what you preach guy!  I'd say it looks like he got pretty good treatment here in the US

"I'm having a heart attack lets take a 3 hour plane ride"

What a hypocrite! 

Edited by KiddLattimer
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoBirds said:

Then that’s pretty sad for his family that he doesn’t have his priorities in line. 

I am curious - do you have the same opinion of the soldier who puts his/her life on the line to defend the country?  Should they walk away - for their family's sake?

 

Whether or not you agree with Sanders - he feels very strongly that the issues he raises are critical for the future of the country.  Why would you criticize someone for putting their life on the line to create a better country?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sinn Fein said:

I am curious - do you have the same opinion of the soldier who puts his/her life on the line to defend the country?  Should they walk away - for their family's sake?

 

Whether or not you agree with Sanders - he feels very strongly that the issues he raises are critical for the future of the country.  Why would you criticize someone for putting their life on the line to create a better country?

I am curious, is the soldier 78 and just had a heart attack?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GoBirds said:

I am curious, is the soldier 78 and just had a heart attack?

Probably not.  But the threat of death is the same.  Sanders does not have to worry about being shot at, nor IEDs on the road.

You don't walk away from what you see as a duty simply because there is risk involved.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

Probably not.  But the threat of death is the same.  Sanders does not have to worry about being shot at, nor IEDs on the road.

You don't walk away from what you see as a duty simply because there is risk involved.

 

Proof to support this statement?

Also is the soldier integral to the success of a mission or similar to Bernie when his time was four years ago but sadly his own party unfairly buried him because Clinton was a lock to win?

Not a very good comparison on many levels. 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2019 at 6:03 PM, Summer Wheat said:

I liked Bernie and it is very sad his time has passed to make a serious run.  The DNC screwed one of their own as Bernie would have beat Trump.  Still disgusted with the Democrat party for that.

Yep. What happened at the DNC was a real coup.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

So he’s done complaining about heart procedures in the US?   He’d probably still be waiting for one in Canada 

He's not saying that doctors in the US don't know how to do their job, he's saying that poor people are going bankrupt because they have heart attacks, cancer, autoimmune diseases, etc

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

I think Bernie has to step down. 78 and coming off a heart attack is no go imo.

I disagree.

Keep in mind that I was a Bernie supporter in 2016, and am on record in this cycle as saying he has no shot at the nomination.  So, I don't think he lost his chance at the nomination because of the heart attack - it was already a lost cause.

 

But, he has a message that he believes very fervently.  His supporters - the ones who pushed him to the top fundraiser in Q3 - also believe in his message, and it is slightly different than Warren.  He, and they, deserve to have that message broadcast as loudly and as widely as they can afford.  This is his last national stage to make his case - I won't begrudge him making that case all the way to the convention.

Eventually, there will be a presumptive nominee - and Bernie, despite what some may think, did back Clinton when she became the presumptive nominee.  I went and saw him speak - and his stump speech was littered with Pro-Clinton/Anti-Trump rhetoric.  Many of his supporters refused to back Clinton - but Bernie did, and did so publicly.  Bernie will eventually back the Dem nominee when the time comes.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I disagree.

Keep in mind that I was a Bernie supporter in 2016, and am on record in this cycle as saying he has no shot at the nomination.  So, I don't think he lost his chance at the nomination because of the heart attack - it was already a lost cause.

 

But, he has a message that he believes very fervently.  His supporters - the ones who pushed him to the top fundraiser in Q3 - also believe in his message, and it is slightly different than Warren.  He, and they, deserve to have that message broadcast as loudly and as widely as they can afford.  This is his last national stage to make his case - I won't begrudge him making that case all the way to the convention.

Eventually, there will be a presumptive nominee - and Bernie, despite what some may think, did back Clinton when she became the presumptive nominee.  I went and saw him speak - and his stump speech was littered with Pro-Clinton/Anti-Trump rhetoric.  Many of his supporters refused to back Clinton - but Bernie did, and did so publicly.  Bernie will eventually back the Dem nominee when the time comes.

 

But will his supporters follow his lead this time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, identikit said:

But will his supporters follow his lead this time?

That is a loaded question - the majority of his supporters followed his lead last cycle...

But, I think more of his supporters will support the Dem nominee this time, simply because the health issue creates a narrative for why he loses the nomination, rather than the narrative that formed in 2016, that he was not given a fair chance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, identikit said:

But will his supporters follow his lead this time?

It depends on who the nominee is.  I voted 3rd party last time, this time theres a couple I would probably support, Biden not being one of them.  I'm also in New York so it doesn't really matter beyond the primary anyway

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KiddLattimer said:

It depends on who the nominee is.  I voted 3rd party last time, this time theres a couple I would probably support, Biden not being one of them.  I'm also in New York so it doesn't really matter beyond the primary anyway

 

Our system sounds pretty sad when people in about 45 states say. "My vote for president doesn't really count anyway" and it's the truth. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, timschochet said:

I’m sure Bernie welcomes the kind advice of @GoBirds and others in this thread. But how about we let him decide when and if he wants to quit the campaign? 

Hey Tim, rest easy don’t think anyone believes a political subforum on a football site is directing his decision.....was just stating the obvious. Don’t lose any sleep over it. 

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

It was a pretty funny response, be honest.

It was funny the first time. But the guy follows me from thread to thread and repeats the same post every time. Takes any chance he can to try and catch me being a hypocrite. Never posts about issues. I don’t really care but it’s a little weird. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, timschochet said:

It was funny the first time. But the guy follows me from thread to thread and repeats the same post every time. Takes any chance he can to try and catch me being a hypocrite. Never posts about issues. I don’t really care but it’s a little weird. 

:lmao: You just called out GoBirds trying to play gotcha with him and got it thrown back in your face.  Stop dishing it out if you can't take it.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2019 at 8:03 PM, Summer Wheat said:

I liked Bernie and it is very sad his time has passed to make a serious run.  The DNC screwed one of their own as Bernie would have beat Trump.  Still disgusted with the Democrat party for that.

Look, I'm one of the biggest Bernie fans on the board but it's a little revisionist to say that Bernie was/is "one of their own" - I think that would be an accurate statement if the same thing happened to Warren if she was in Bernie's shoes in 2016.  But I agree with you that I didn't like it and felt the party should have done better.  This is why I'll still hammer the 2-part system - one side kept their thumb on the scale while the other allowed an unqualified narcissist to get the nomination.  I do think Bernie would have beaten Trump in 2016 but not so much that I'd stake my life on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Sanders is spectacularly mistaken about a vast range of economic issues, but I think his heart's in the right place: he is an honest reformer trying to do what he thinks is best for the country.

Many of his online supporters however, seem very similar in character to Trump's supporters. It's kind of weird. Some of it may be explained by the fact that Russian bots are part of both camps, but I don't think that's the whole explanation.

https://twitter.com/MoiraDonegan/status/1181604170811527179

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

I think Sanders is spectacularly mistaken about a vast range of economic issues, but I think his heart's in the right place: he is an honest reformer trying to do what he thinks is best for the country.

Many of his online supporters however, seem very similar in character to Trump's supporters. It's kind of weird. Some of it may be explained by the fact that Russian bots are part of both camps, but I don't think that's the whole explanation.

https://twitter.com/MoiraDonegan/status/1181604170811527179

Search any candidate's twitter followers and you'll find the craziest of the craziest and the lowest of the low

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tough week for Bernie - his daughter-in-law passed away on Saturday at the age of 46 - cancer.

 

Bernie Sanders’ daughter-in-law dies at 46 after cancer diagnosis - The Boston Globe

Rainè Riggs, the daughter-in-law of Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, died Saturday shortly after being diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2019 at 11:04 PM, timschochet said:

It was funny the first time. But the guy follows me from thread to thread and repeats the same post every time. Takes any chance he can to try and catch me being a hypocrite. Never posts about issues. I don’t really care but it’s a little weird. 

It's not really following you around. When you post as much as you do, you're in just about every thread regularly.

Also, if you don't like being pointed out for your hypocrisy, may I suggest a very simple solution? Don't be a hypocrite. Or if you choose to continue to be, at least stop whining about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...