What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Can you imagine the matchup nightmares a lineup of Brown, Bryant, Green with Bell coming out of the backfield is going to cause?  I really think that group would rival any group in the HISTORY of the NFL as difficult to matchup against and good luck if Wheaton can be more consistent or Coates steps up.
That was a nice thing to imagine for a few days.

Sammie pick makes more sense every day. Hope he has a better grasp of the NFL (and footballs) this year.

Coates pick was clearly a total hedge against this eventuality the moment it was made.  A shame it turned out they "guessed right", but sh#t happens.   

Expect they'll be drafting another WR on day 2 again this go 'round.

I think the team should separate itself from Bryant. He's a wonderful talent but the window is now and it's clear he won't be apart and he's too risky to ever re-sign. Just cut off the wart and be done with it. Time for Coates and Wheaton to step up. Green was an even better signing now.

I think the team should separate itself from Bryant. He's a wonderful talent but the window is now and it's clear he won't be apart and he's too risky to ever re-sign. Just cut off the wart and be done with it. Time for Coates and Wheaton to step up. Green was an even better signing now.
He's still an asset. Even if he never plays another down for the Steelers, he's still on his rookie deal and if he "can prove he's turned his life around," some team may be enamored with his upside enough to trade for him next off season. 

I suppose... I think he's probably played his last down as a Steeler. Maybe they'll give Mike Wallace a call. I think Coates has a lot of talent, we'll be seeing what side of the coin he falls sooner rather then later.

Disagree. He is still very young and has a chance to turn it around. His contract runs through 2017, so I would keep him and make the determination at that time. 

He is going to get treatment for depression, so maybe once that is addressed that will be the end of the drug use? To me , you have nothing to lose by seeing how he reacts to this year away from football and the depression treatment. Per his agent the drug use is not a partying issue but a way for him to cope with depression. We will see.

Slim chance they will part ways with Bryant at this time, and slim chance they chase Mike Wallace.

I'm pretty sure a player under a 1 year banned substance suspension isn't even allowed at the team facility. They get cap relief for the (relative) pittance he's making. So, cutting him wouldn't be surgically removing a tumor any more than the suspension is. The only benefit to cutting him would be as a declaratory measure and I don't even know how well that would play in the locker room.  His teammates seem to like him and the Steelers might actually get more mileage inside the room by helping him through his rehab. It's not like this is Manziel-esque "F.U." stuff. Plus, they retain a potentially valuable asset. I just don't see him getting cut. 

JoeSteeler said:
Disagree. He is still very young and has a chance to turn it around. His contract runs through 2017, so I would keep him and make the determination at that time. 

He is going to get treatment for depression, so maybe once that is addressed that will be the end of the drug use? To me , you have nothing to lose by seeing how he reacts to this year away from football and the depression treatment. Per his agent the drug use is not a partying issue but a way for him to cope with depression. We will see.
What if a player lived in a state where medical marijuana was legal and it was prescribed by a doctor for treatment of depression?    I wonder if the NFL would have to make exceptions in cases like that?

No way do I want to see the Steelers blow their #1 pick on a QB that we hope doesn't see the field for 2-4 years.
You'd rather wait until Ben retires and go through a crapfest of qb's like the Steelers did pre-Ben? And this past year showed how important a quality #2 is. The Landry experiment is about done and it seems Vick and Grads won't be back and there's nothing worthwhile available on the market. Being able to draft an heir apparent who appears to have franchise qb skills (with a need for development) now with a late 1st pick could pay huge rewards down the road. Like I said, I wouldn't hate it but it all depends on who is available when they pick. Smart teams like the Pats and Pack draft for the future, not so smart teams (looking at you Browns) draft for now. Affecting that decision too is how much longer you (Steelers) think Ben will play. Pack took Rodgers when Favre was 35 and still playing well. That seems to have worked out well for them. They may have interest in a later round qb since they were talking to Prescott but not sure if he just ruined his chances with that DUI. Very deep defensive draft, especially along the Dline. Plenty of talent will be available in the later rounds. Affecting that of course is the picks they traded away.

I want to win a championship while the window is still open with Ben and I think drafting a pass rusher, defensive back or OT that could contribute this year, even on a part-time basis, is the way to go.

If they think Ben is going to hang it up at the end of the year then I don't have a problem using the #1 on a QB.  If they don't then I would rather have that pick out on the field rather than standing on the sidelines with a clipboard for 2 to 4 seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd rather wait until Ben retires and go through a crapfest of qb's like the Steelers did pre-Ben? And this past year showed how important a quality #2 is. The Landry experiment is about done and it seems Vick and Grads won't be back and there's nothing worthwhile available on the market. Being able to draft an heir apparent who appears to have franchise qb skills (with a need for development) now with a late 1st pick could pay huge rewards down the road. Like I said, I wouldn't hate it but it all depends on who is available when they pick. Smart teams like the Pats and Pack draft for the future, not so smart teams (looking at you Browns) draft for now. Affecting that decision too is how much longer you (Steelers) think Ben will play. Pack took Rodgers when Favre was 35 and still playing well. That seems to have worked out well for them. They may have interest in a later round qb since they were talking to Prescott but not sure if he just ruined his chances with that DUI. Very deep defensive draft, especially along the Dline. Plenty of talent will be available in the later rounds. Affecting that of course is the picks they traded away.
Sure, drafting a QB early may pay off dividends "down the road", but let's not get too cute. The year they drafted Rodgers GB went 4-12 and got their coach fired. Brilliant.
Believe it was also Ted Thompson's first year at the helm and Mike Sherman was the head coach. House cleaning was probably coming no matter who they picked. Add in a ton of injuries and some free agency losses to a crappy coaching staff and a bad season was likely to happen. So, drafting Rodgers over another player didn't lead to the 4-12 season but it did lead to many years of being a super bowl contender. Does seem to be brilliant.

BPA at places that have some future outlook of addressing.  Could be almost anyone and any position.

I think had Landry Jones not completely sht-the-bed he would have paid off very well with Ben missing games.  Heck, home field was freaking huge in the playoffs.  So if they think Paxton is the absolute BPA then I wont have many issues so long as we don't "Osweiller" the future resigning of him. Its a big part of my want of Nkemdiche - I think he may grade out way higher then most any other talent when it comes to the 18+draft range.

Before we leap to demonizing Martavis why don't we wait for the facts.  New reports are saying that he's smoking due to severe depression, which in my eyes is way more forgivable than just going out and partying.  And as far as him being a team cancer, I've never heard a single report of him being an issue in the locker room.  He's not dragging anyone down with him and he seems to work very hard on and off the field.  He's made mistakes but his issues are way different from Santonio (or Johnny Manziel/Josh Gordon).

As far as drafting Lynch in the first, I highly doubt the Steelers do that.  He wouldn't be the BPA at their pick.  He's not the talent that Aaron Rodgers was and every year there's talk of "We should draft a guy and have him sit like Rodgers and take over!"  If it was that easy don't you think that more than 1 team would have done that in the past 10 years...  I could easily see us grabbing a QB in the 3rd or 4th round, because the #2 QB spot is very important, but reaching for Lynch (or any other QB in the first) seems unlikely.

If we don't sign an OT in FA then I could see us drafting one like what has been suggested in several mocks (Conklin or Decker), but I'd rather we put that pick to good use on Defense.  We could use a star player at any position on D so it should be a great chance for us to grab BPA. 

The point being, the Steelers aren't on the verge of a house cleaning, they are a Super Bowl contender right now.

And let's remember, we're not talking about drafting Aaron Rodgers himself, but Paxton Lynch. How 'bout we improve this atrocious, 30th ranked secondary first before longingly casting our eyes about on a luxurious backup.
Again, it depends on what is available when they pick. If the remaining defensive players available are second round grades and Lynch is sitting there and you have a top 15 grade on him, you take him. It's not a "luxurious" backup when you have no backup currently. And it's a position that typically requires a couple years of development.

Sure, if the situation develops such that there are no first rounders left available, go ahead and draft the QB you have graded as the next Aaron Rodgers. You'll get no quarrel from me.

I also wasn't aware that the Steelers had completely given up on Landry Jones. If so, my apologies.
They haven't but he is in the last year of his contract. I have my doubts that they'll resign him unless there are no other options. Most fans certainly have given up on him though. While he showed slight improvement this year over previous seasons I don't think it's enough to keep him around, or even feel good about him as the #2.

Just to be clear, no one is "dragging Martavis through the mud" but his decision is equal parts stupid, insulting and makes him unreliable to the point that you wouldn't want to resign him down the line because who knows if he'll be playing for you or Madden on his couch. Having players like him is not how you win. They have to be on the field in order for that to happen. If he is depressed I hope he gets help. If the Steelers think they can trade him down the line or hope to get bonus snaps from him, fine. But I don't see him as a cornerstone anymore, and I doubt the management does either.

Supposedly Eric Weddle has whittled ( :mellow: ) his decision down to 3 teams and supposedly those 3 are Steelers, Ravens, Cowboys. Decision coming soon.

This from behindthesteelcurtain.com says this is for missed tests not failed tests and that could impact the length of any suspension.

"

What does the NFL drug policy say?

First, let's get something cleared up: the latest news in this saga is that Bryant's potential year-long suspension is the result of missed tests, not failed tests. How does that change things?

More than you might think.

We still know very little about the situation, but one thing is certain: the drug policy (Appendix E) is very clear about how the league handles missed tests -- or, as the policy calls it, "Failure to Appear for Testing." What's interesting is that the punishment being thrown about is a year-long suspension. I don't buy that, because the policy doesn't spell out any case where a year-long suspension would be demanded. And it very clearly states that failure-to-appear violations will not advance a player to the next Intervention Stage:

The discipline issued pursuant to these procedures shall not be dependent upon the Player’s program status within the Intervention Program, nor shall a Player be advanced to the next Intervention Stage based solely upon a violation of these procedures. A violation of these procedures may, however, be a basis for resetting a Player’s discharge date at the discretion of the Medical Director.

This means one of three things: either the reason for the suspension, or the duration, is wrong. Or, possibly, the NFL is being consistently inconsistent in how it handles punishment. "

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/3/14/11217908/how-does-the-potential-suspension-of-martavis-bryant-affect-the

The NFL drug policy if you want to read Appendix E yourself.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Active%20Players/Drug_SOA_Policy_9-29-14.pd

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly he wants to play for "a contender" so we'll see if he puts his money where his mouth is. The Steelers won't break the bank to sign him, nor could they afford to (and nor should they).
Bouchette says Patriots. Certainly a contender.

What if we draft Sterling Shepard in the 2nd round?  WR isn't an area of need but at this point I see an Antonio Brown clone who could fill a problem area if we fail to resign Brown after his current contract.

If this year is foreshadowing of what is to come with Weddle, I'm glad we didn't get him.  If SD thought he could still play at a high level they would probably have gone after him.  He's past 30 and had lots of injuries last year, I think our money can be better spent elsewhere.

Supposedly (using that a lot today) Steelers are not very far under the cap, least amount available. Not a lot of money to throw around right now.

3C's said:
Steelers get credit for his salary against the cap. Add 600k to their ~3M in cap space.
Will we actually gain anything since there will be another salary to replace his?  He was already on the cusp of not even being one of the top 40 salaries or w/e the number is, I think.

And I'm sure the Steelers are working behind the scenes to free up more cap space by extending/restructuring people.  Once they get that done we could sign a couple more people (including Okung or Beachum).  It's possible they have the deals in place but are waiting to see if Okung or Beachum will accept.  If they don't maybe they keep the money where it is so that it's not kicked into future seasons.

Will we actually gain anything since there will be another salary to replace his?  He was already on the cusp of not even being one of the top 40 salaries or w/e the number is, I think.

And I'm sure the Steelers are working behind the scenes to free up more cap space by extending/restructuring people.  Once they get that done we could sign a couple more people (including Okung or Beachum).  It's possible they have the deals in place but are waiting to see if Okung or Beachum will accept.  If they don't maybe they keep the money where it is so that it's not kicked into future seasons.
In some cases (IR) the players salary still counts against the cap so it's nice to get the relief here for bringing in another player. Actually winds up being more than 600k since they can recoup his signing bonus too. In fact, I read it's not that they can but that they have to. That puts them somewhere around $4.3M under the cap. Not a lot but I'm sure they're reworking contracts to gain a little more space. The Okung contract (offer) would have to more than eat that up alone.

Wallace signed with Baltimore for 2 years at $11M.  He'll be great for their favorite play: send the X receiver on a 9 route, let Flacco throw the ball as far as he can, the receiver tangles himself with the defender and goes to the ground, then jumps up with his arms out yelling for a PI flag. 

Wallace signed with Baltimore for 2 years at $11M.  He'll be great for their favorite play: send the X receiver on a 9 route, let Flacco throw the ball as far as he can, the receiver tangles himself with the defender and goes to the ground, then jumps up with his arms out yelling for a PI flag. 
...against the Steelers.  Six times per season.

Steelers sign Ryan Harris, OT (Denver last season).  He's basically a journeyman, serviceable OT.  2 years, $3.9 million.

Wish we could have landed Okung or Beachum, especially since Harris is already 31, but maybe he can be AV's mentor for a year before he's ready to take over.

2 years, $3.9M.  Steelers taking the bargain approach, stocking the cupboard with inexpensive depth so they can attack the pricey positions in the draft.  I think we're going to see picks on all three levels of the defense in the first few rounds.  We're perilously thin at ILB, OLB is a giant question mark, and we need line depth.  Oh, and also a safety and 1-2 corners.

...against the Steelers.  Six times per season.
It's the main reason I can't stand the Ravens, no joke.  I respect that organization as a rival, except when they do this #### over and over and over.  It's smart, don't get me wrong, it's just annoying and supergay.

We will have to see how it plays out.  Wallace has been an underachiever for 4.5 seasons now.  He still has all of the tools to be a great receiver but he needs to get over his selfishness and laziness.

Lost of roster moves in the past several days. 

M Bryant suspended for the year (or more)

Heath Miller retires

Ramon Foster gets an extension

Sean Spence signs with the Titans

Kelvin Beechum signs with the Jags

Steve McClendon signs with the Jets

TE Ladarius Green (SD) signs with the good guys for 4 years

OT Ryan Harris (DEN) signs for 2 years with the good guys.  

Lions DT Jason Jones has been in to Pittsburgh twice now for talks, and is being courted by the Dolphins and the Lions but hasn't made a decision that I have seen yet. 

Am I missing anything?  

Users who are viewing this thread