What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 23 cities with the best quality of life.. (1 Viewer)

They must have done these rankings before all of the rapists invaded western Europe.

Interesting that there isn't a single city outside of western Europe, Canada, and Australia/NZ. As oso diablo said, that is racist as ####.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their metrics are skewed towards those countries.

No mention of unemployment rates, no mention of opportunity for personal financial growth?

No mention of access to hot women or beaches and mountains?  Those are the things most (working) guys put in their Top 10 list. 

What a joke.

America is a great place for people with high incomes, but a relatively lousy place for the working class.

Pretty good list.  I've really enjoyed all of the cities I've been to that are on it.
Can't speak to all the cities but I lived in NZ for a few months and Auckland and Wellington can't compare to SoCal, SanFran or NYC.  While they have their attributes and I might consider living in NZ after retiring, there's no where near the opportunities there to succeed while I'm working and raising a family.

Most of the Kiwis that I hung out with would rather live in the US.

America is a great place for people with high incomes, but a relatively lousy place for the working class.
Wrong.  America is a great place to live for people that want to outwork their neighbor and get compensated for it.  Exact reason the Kiwis I knew that wanted to live here, because no matter how hard they worked they didn't feel like they could get ahead... 

It also probably didn't help that the women there were :X

"I'll take 'Things that only sound funny in jon_mx's head' for 200, Alex"
seriously though, what is the criteria in which Germany place 5 cities In the top 20 and another 3 or 4 closely neighboring cities.  Their seems to be a bias favoring Germany and really the weather and scenery does not justify it.   Diversity is suppose to be a key factor, but Getmany is over 80 percent German descent and over 91 percent European descent.  Hardly diverse.  The rankings make no sense.  Not that there are not great towns in Germany, but they don't deserve to dominate these rankings. 

America is the spoiled kid whose Grandparents were extremely successful.  American has been living in the past for decades now.  You can say it's the best country in the world until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't make it true.  It's just another first world country that is slowly being past by countries that aren't scared to death of change.  You'll be a second world nation by 2100.

Can't speak to all the cities but I lived in NZ for a few months and Auckland and Wellington can't compare to SoCal, SanFran or NYC.  While they have their attributes and I might consider living in NZ after retiring, there's no where near the opportunities there to succeed while I'm working and raising a family.

Most of the Kiwis that I hung out with would rather live in the US.

Wrong.  America is a great place to live for people that want to outwork their neighbor and get compensated for it.  Exact reason the Kiwis I knew that wanted to live here, because no matter how hard they worked they didn't feel like they could get ahead... 

It also probably didn't help that the women there were :X
Good friend is a Kiwi so I've heard a lot about it. The problem isn't the taxes (top rate is 33%, no capital gains), but there's not a lot of opportunity. If he could have made $100k a year there he would have stayed and been happy to pay the taxes but he could make more here.

The quality of life is definitely higher for most Western Europe countries.  I really enjoyed my time in Copenhagen and Stockholm.  And the ratio of beautiful women in Northern Europe easily eclipses the best US cities.  

America is the spoiled kid whose Grandparents were extremely successful.  American has been living in the past for decades now.  You can say it's the best country in the world until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't make it true.  It's just another first world country that is slowly being past by countries that aren't scared to death of change.  You'll be a second world nation by 2100.
A ridiculous statement.

This is still a great country - the biggest problem with the path we're on is that it's difficult for those from low to middle income families to move up. The real why I'm a proponent of single payer health care is that healthy families can take care of their kids. I support low cost college/trade education so kids can succeed and eventually become high earning tax payers.

Other countries have figured this out and I hope we do too soon.

seriously though, what is the criteria in which Germany place 5 cities In the top 20 and another 3 or 4 closely neighboring cities.  Their seems to be a bias favoring Germany and really the weather and scenery does not justify it.   Diversity is suppose to be a key factor, but Getmany is over 80 percent German descent and over 91 percent European descent.  Hardly diverse.  The rankings make no sense.  Not that there are not great towns in Germany, but they don't deserve to dominate these rankings. 
Nothing racial about it.

Free health care, free college, and a well paid middle class.

My wife works for Mercer and participated in this release though not selecting the cities. This is not a "best cities in the world" list, it's quality of life for multinational companies to send expats to work. That's the kind of info Mercer produces and thats why there are no American cities. 

No mention of unemployment rates, no mention of opportunity for personal financial growth?

No mention of access to hot women or beaches and mountains?  Those are the things most (working) guys put in their Top 10 list. 

What a joke.
No shortage of hot women in Toronto, Vienna, Montreal, Stockholm, etc. 

My wife works for Mercer and participated in this release though not selecting the cities. This is not a "best cities in the world" list, it's quality of life for multinational companies to send expats to work. That's the kind of info Mercer produces and thats why there are no American cities. 
Way to rain on the parade.

Are you sure?

Americas

Quality of Living remains high in North America, where Canadian cities dominate the top of the list. Vancouver (5) is the highest ranking city, followed by Toronto (15) and Ottawa (17). In the United States, San Francisco (28) ranks highest for quality of living, followed by Boston (34), Honolulu (35), Chicago (43), and New York City (44). In Mexico, Monterrey (108) is the highest ranking city, whereas Mexico City ranks 127th. The lowest ranking cities in North America are Monterrey (108) and Mexico City (127) and for the Caribbean, Havana (191) and Port-au-Prince (227). In South America, Montevideo (78), Buenos Aires (93), and Santiago (94) remain the highest ranking cities for quality of living, whereas Bogota (130), La Paz (156), and Caracas (185) rank lowest. 

Canadian cities all rank high for personal safety, with Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, and Vancouver sharing 16th place, whereas no US cities make the top 50. Kingston (199), Tegucigalpa (201), and Port-au-Prince (211) have the lowest levels of personal safety in the region. In 96th place, Montevideo is South America’s highest ranking city for personal safety; Caracas (214) is the lowest.

Most North American cities remain fairly safe for expatriates. But Mexican cities are ranked relatively low, mainly because of drug-related violence. The recent increase of unemployment in Latin America and Caribbean countries, along with the economic downturn and political instability in some of these countries, explains relatively low rankings in personal safety across the region. 

http://www.mercer.com/newsroom/western-european-cities-top-quality-of-living-ranking-mercer.html

Buttonhook said:

What a joke.
They specifically mention unemployment and have a picture of two chicks sitting on a beach for Perth. 

22 (joint). Perth, Australia — Australia has some of the highest quality of living worldwide. The Western Australian city is home to some of the country's most beautiful beaches, and its inner region has a super-low unemployment rate of 4.1%.

22-joint-perth-australia--australia-has-some-of-the-highest-quality-of-living-worldwide-the-western-australian-city-is-home-to-some-of-the-countrys-most-beautiful-beaches-and-its-inner-region-has-a-super-low-unemployment-rate-of-41.jpg

However they don't mention that Perth has one of the highest Costs of Living in the entire world, and that the unemployment is bound to go up thanks to the oil crash.

The US just needs to bring its military spending down a few hundred billion so that its in line with military spending of the rest of these countries as a percentage of gdp.  Then reinvest that money in healthcare, education and infrastructure.    Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread