What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Houston Texans - (1 Viewer)

Jayded said:
So with Foreman now gone, we’re missing a #2 or a bruiser now that Blue is also on the team. 

I know we don’t have a GM but hopefully someone is keeping an eye on the situation with a lens towards the future. While a bruiser would probably better compliment Miller, I would bet someone like Duke Johnson wouldn’t cost a lot and at least bring another vet into the building to help stabilize the position. 

The Texans aren’t craft enough for this to be a sign of something bigger (Gordon) but I’ll happily eat crow we’re we able to pull something bigger off. 
They had eyes for Gordon when he was in the draft, Chargers jumped them to draft him that year. But with no GM in place I see no way they make a play for Gordon right now. Maybe after mid season and Gordon has to report. My guess is some vet off the scrap heap out there, I don’t see Cleveland parting with Duke until after Hunt comes back from suspension.

I didn’t mind the draft :-)LOL: at someone calling Howard a 4th rounder) but hated FA. What a #### show this offseason has been. Can only wonder what the players think? And if they are really holding out for Caserio, he can’t be hired until after the 2020 draft was my understanding based on the articles out there? How the hell will that work with FA and the draft process? Insane.

Will be at the opener in New Orleans, at least I can drink a hurricane during the game. We already had a super tough schedule and then the front office craziness, looking like possibly a looong season.

Coutee hurt for the time being. Hopefully it won't be another one that goes into the season. Man, we could really use him having time with the offense.

Interested to see how the trade works out at RB now.

Howard looked good until the end of his night,  then got beat a couple of times, though lasted long enough for Webb to get rid of it.

Okay, so things seem to be running really smoothly for the Texans:

• Top running back out for the season. Replacement has a high of 104 carries in a season and is new to the team and the system. No other RB has had significant if any NFL carries.
  • Offensive line is still a big question mark. The FA tackle they signed has been bad and hasn't seen the field in about a week and a half. The two rookie tackles they drafted might play at guard and their play has been mixed. The center, who is been out most of training camp, played poorly in his preseason debut on Saturday
  • They look like they will trade one of their top defensive players if and when he signs his franchise tag. No significant additions to the defense this season which struggled mightily when they played good qb's last year. They play a lot of good qb's this year (even though Luck just retired, the Texans are 0-3 against Jacoby Brissett who has won 5 games as a starter in his career).
But at least they have Bill O'Brien coaching them!

Clowny for Trent seems to make a lot of sense.  Clowny is exactly the hype over production guy that the Skins go crazy for.... 

Clowny for Trent seems to make a lot of sense.  Clowny is exactly the hype over production guy that the Skins go crazy for.... 
It makes sense except for the fact that the Redskins have about $11 million in cap space and Clowney's one year franchise tag is for about $16 million. Trading Williams would give the Redskins about $9 million more in cap space so it is doable but very tight.

Last edited by a moderator:

• Top running back out for the season. Replacement has a high of 104 carries in a season and is new to the team and the system. No other RB has had significant if any NFL carries.
  • Offensive line is still a big question mark. The FA tackle they signed has been bad and hasn't seen the field in about a week and a half. The two rookie tackles they drafted might play at guard and their play has been mixed. The center, who is been out most of training camp, played poorly in his preseason debut on Saturday
  • They look like they will trade one of their top defensive players if and when he signs his franchise tag. No significant additions to the defense this season which struggled mightily when they played good qb's last year. They play a lot of good qb's this year (even though Luck just retired, the Texans are 0-3 against Jacoby Brissett who has won 5 games as a starter in his career).
You forgot that they waited too long to trade Clowney because no one can negotiate a new deal with him now... so compensation potentially pretty low. Bang up job so far although the Duke trade is looking pretty prescient now.

And even crazier is that with Luck retiring the division is wide open and the Texans are favored to win it. Guessing one of the Titans or Jags finally steps up this year. No Bortles might mean an actually good Jax team for once.

All of these items would seemingly be BETTER for Watson's numbers this year. No ? 

All of these items would seemingly be BETTER for Watson's numbers this year. No ? 
Perhaps. If he survives the season. A lot will also depend on the health of Will Fuller and Keke Coutee. If they stay healthy and Watson learns how to get rid of the ball quicker, he could have a big season.

Damare Crockett?   No way Duke can be a lead back - one year with over 100 carries (104), he’s a COP back. 

Not only that but he is the team's GM and QB Whisperer.   Should be nothing but championships from here on out.   A true NFL wunderkind.  

Bill O'Brien's recent quotes: "We have a good situation at RB" and "Matt Kalil is my starting Left Tackle".

These are reminiscent of the following quotes:

2015: "Brian Hoyer is my starting QB". After one half Hoyer was benched.

2017: "Tom Savage is my starting QB". After one half Savage was benched.

Anyone who believes anything O'Brien says in preseason has not been paying attention.

Good news on the injury front:

Offensive tackle Matt Kalil, guard Tytus Howard, receiver Keke Coutee, safety Justin Reid, safety Tashaun Gipson and center Greg Mancz returned to practice.

? The Clowney trade? 
Yes.  Getting to the situation they felt they had to trade him. What they are getting in return isn't better than having him play out this season and tag and trade him next year, or take the compensatory pick which is likely to be pretty close to the pick they got from Seattle.  That leave as their only other benefits if the 2 players they got outperform during their time in Houston what Clowney would have brought for 1 year, plus the money difference.

The only other benefit I can see is they don't have to be reserved in free agency next year. They would have to make sure to not sign more than they lose or else they'd lose a potential Clowney compensatory pick then.

That's just not enough to me.

Any homers thoughts on how RB position plays out? :popcorn:
Just kicking this same thought around.

Really surprised Penny wasn't part of the Clowney deal.

Might be interested in McCoy if he signs for cheap.

Would they still be talking to the Dolphins about Drake?

Waiting for Carlos Hyde to get cut (or others possibly)?

Hard to  believe they are satisfied to have Duke carry the load.

I'll be surprised (and upset) if they are satisfied at RB. But yes, imagine they are probably content with picking up someone who is cut.

Just kicking this same thought around.

Really surprised Penny wasn't part of the Clowney deal.

Might be interested in McCoy if he signs for cheap.

Would they still be talking to the Dolphins about Drake?

Waiting for Carlos Hyde to get cut (or others possibly)?

Hard to  believe they are satisfied to have Duke carry the load.
Any of the young guys on roster have a shot or just not ready and a street RB will come in and take over w Duke?

Any of the young guys on roster have a shot or just not ready and a street RB will come in and take over w Duke?
I didn't see anything particularly special out of the young backs. Opponents had guys who will probably be cut who I might take over them just based on what we saw in preseason games. Like Justin Davis of the Rams probably outplayed any of the Texans backs this year.

I am now fearful hearing that the Chargers have given Gordon permission to seek a trade. We're still sitting on a 2021 first rounder we haven't mortgaged away today.

i get that he wasn't the focal point and i guess the depth doesn't hurt.  just seems like a weird part of the deal.  and stills isn't cheap.
The J Z thing said Stills was gone. That he  was used as a sweetener to get 2 1’s and a 2 is an utter joke and steal of the highest level 

This is what you get with Bill O'Brien as your GM.  He's mortgaging the future in desperate effort to keep his job as Head Coach.   Unfortunately, the other GMs know this and are taken him to the cleaners.  RIP Texans :kicksrock:

This is what you get with Bill O'Brien as your GM.  He's mortgaging the future in desperate effort to keep his job as Head Coach.   Unfortunately, the other GMs know this and are taken him to the cleaners.  RIP Texans :kicksrock:
The consolation is that BoB or likely their new GM influence by BoB would royally eff up those picks anyhow. 

This is like when the one guy in your league who knows nothing about football gets fleeced and then the commish has to reverse the trade.  Can Goodell do that?

Some notable cuts:

WR: Vyncent Smith  and Tyron Johnson both cut.  Also Allen, Dixon, Hansen, Mitchell, Weah. 
RB: Higdon, Crockett, Ferguson cut.  
DB: Boddy-Calhoun
P: Anger

Kept 4 RB with Buddy Howell and Taiwan Jones making the roster.
Kept 5 WR  with DeAndre Carter getting the last spot now Stills is in the mix.
Kept all 5 TE.

OLB is pretty thin now.

Roster then:

OFFENSE (27):

Quarterback (2): Deshaun Watson, AJ McCarron

Running Back (4): Duke Johnson, Carlos Hyde, Buddy Howell, Taiwan Jones

Fullback (1): Cullen Gillaspia

Wide Receiver (5): Keke Coutee, DeAndre Carter, Kenny Stills, DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller

Tight End (5): Jordan Akins, Jordan Thomas, Kahale Warring, Jerell Adams, Darren Fells

Offensive Line (10): C Nick Martin, C/G Greg Mancz, C/G Zach Fulton, G Senio Kelemete, T Seantrel Henderson, T Laremy Tunsil, G/T Tytus Howard, T Roderick Johnson, T Matt Kalil, G/T Max Scharping

DEFENSE (24):

Defensive Line (6): DE Angelo Blackson, DE J.J. Watt, DE Carlos Watkins, NT D.J. Reader, NT Brandon Dunn, DE Charles Omenihu

Inside Linebacker (4): Dylan Cole, Benardrick McKinney, Zach Cunningham, Peter Kalambayi

Outside Linebacker (4): Brennan Scarlett, Barkevious Mingo, Jacob Martin, Whitney Mercilus

Cornerbacks (6): Johnathan Joseph, Bradley Roby, Lonnie Johnson, Xavier Crawford, Keion Crossen, Aaron Colvin

Safety (4): Tashaun Gipson, Jahleel Addae, A.J. Moore, Justin Reid

SPECIAL TEAMS (3):

Kicker (1): Ka’imi Fairbairn

Punter (1): Trevor Daniel

Long Snapper (1): Jon Weeks

Quite possibly the worst day in franchise history. We gave everything away for peanuts. 

I mean really, look at this:

Clowney + 2020 1st + 2021 1st + 2021 2nd for Duke Johnson + Kenny Stills + Laremy Tunsil

I washed the thirds for Duke and Clowney, but holy hell. 
####### awful, had to take a day away to cool down. Someone needs to beat Cal McNair senseless and take away control of the team from him for signing off on letting BOB mortgage the future.

Altogether:

Get:

Tunsil

Stills

Duke

Hyde

LB Martin

LB Mingo 

CB Crossen

3rd 2020

4th 2020

:::

Give:

LB Clowney

G Rankin

DB Bademosi

OT Davenport

1st 2020

1st 2021

2nd 2020

4th 2020

6th 2020

:::

Cut:

Kalil

Do they have a draft next year? My heart actually goes out to these fans. What the heck? Thank God they have Deshaun and Nuk and Fuller V and a formidable defense or this would be awful to watch happen. As it is, maybe there's a deep run here or free agency in 2020? I don't know...

####### awful, had to take a day away to cool down. Someone needs to beat Cal McNair senseless and take away control of the team from him for signing off on letting BOB mortgage the future.
I feel you.  I'm glad I let go a few years back when they extended BOB's contract but this hurts just as much.  I thought we'd soon be free from his poor coaching but looks like these trades and poor draft decisions will last long after his departure   :kicksrock:  

Do they have a draft next year? My heart actually goes out to these fans. What the heck? Thank God they have Deshaun and Nuk and Fuller V and a formidable defense or this would be awful to watch happen. As it is, maybe there's a deep run here or free agency in 2020? I don't know...
:lmao:

They were top ten in DVOA last year. I get you're being flippant, but I'm pretty sure they were. 
They also had a very favorable schedule last year where they played a lot of second string or rookie QB's. When they faced good qb's, they got picked apart (Luck, Brady, Foles). This year they do not have that luxury as they play some of the best qb's in the league (Brees, Ryan, Brady, Mahomes, Rivers, Foles twice). They did get a break in that they don't have to play Luck twice this year. If Watt gets hurt this season, that defense is in big trouble. Even if he stays healthy, other teams can game plan to stop him because they don't have any other real strong pass rushers. Mercilus may help going back to his old position, but I don't know if that will be enough to help the secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread