What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Houston Texans - (1 Viewer)

Well, the distance does matter in that if Hardman doesn't break a long one, taking it out 5 yards deep in your endzone will usually result in worse field position than if he caught it on the 2 yard line. So assuming the Texans know what you know, that Hardman takes it out of the endzone a lot, I would think they would want to kick as deep as they can.
Yeah, that's what makes it interesting. If Fairbairn can't kick it that far, that's one thing.

But if the Texans were intentionally trying to kick it right at the goal line, that's poor coaching. So yeah, I get your point.

The Texans ranked 26th in touchback percentage which would possibly indicate that Fairbairn does not have a strong. However, I heard on the radio today that the Texans ranked 2nd in Opponents starting field position after kickoff, meaning that they were intentionally were not going for touchbacks becasue they had really good coverage teams.

How were you guys feeling during that first quarter? It was something I've never felt before as a Texans fan.  Our team actually coming to play in a big game, executing perfectly on the road and getting a lot of breaks.  I knew it wouldn't last with BOB at the helm but 41 answered points is Buffalo 1993 like.   Wish we could look toward the future but lack of draft capital, impending max contracts for Tunsil + Watson, and BOB as GM/HC aren't letting me see the glass half full   :kicksrock:  

How were you guys feeling during that first quarter? It was something I've never felt before as a Texans fan.  Our team actually coming to play in a big game, executing perfectly on the road and getting a lot of breaks.  I knew it wouldn't last with BOB at the helm but 41 answered points is Buffalo 1993 like.   Wish we could look toward the future but lack of draft capital, impending max contracts for Tunsil + Watson, and BOB as GM/HC aren't letting me see the glass half full   :kicksrock:  
That last part, coupled with yesterday should end it. I think the only thing that could salvage what just happened is finding a new coach for the team and we fans to rally around. Otherwise, it's some figurehead GM in title only and a lame duck coach with little ability to improve on obvious deficiencies.

I knew it wouldn't last or at very least that it would definitely end up a LOT closer. I'm realizing today that while I was upset with the defensive collapse, I could have been harsher on the offense too. They grab all of the momentum back and bring it back to 24-14. Scoring a TD on that next drive would have brought the doubt right back to the forefront.

The drives on offense when the collapse were this:
Score 24-7, next drive is 4 plays for 8 yards and a punt
Score 24-14, special teams fumble on kickoff
Score 24-21, next drive is 6 plays for 27 yards and a punt
Score 24-28, next drive is short but results in a missed FG

So there are plenty of reasons to want Bill O'Brien fired. But 2 that stand out from the last 3 days for me:

1) The video of O'Brien going off on a fan at halftime of the Denver game, which was just released last Friday. Anyone who can get that angry at something that he must deal with on a regular basis, to me, is mentally unbalanced. 

2) O'Brien having to call timeouts twice in yesterday's game on 4th down because he didn't know what to do. The first one, he took too long getting a play in on fourth and one from the KC 13. Whether this was because he wasn't sure whether they got the first down or not, or he took too long deciding on a fourth down play, both are inexcusable for a HC in his sixth year. As a result he burned a TO (which might have helped the Texans get an easier FG attempt at the end of the first half) and then decided to go conservative and kick a FG. The second one, it was fourth and 4 with 11 minutes left in the game and the Texans down by 17 on the KC 42. O'Brien, in explicitly sends the punt team on the field, and then after Deshaun Watson tells him they should go for it, he changes his mind, but has to call timeout because they wouldn't be able to get the offense back on the field in time.

My biggest criticism of OC's who become head coaches is the ones that can't get their heads out of the Denny's menus and have to keep calling plays. It hurts their ability to adequately manage the whole team during a game, and they become less effective as OC's because they are distracted by other head coaching duties. O'Brien is a prime example of this.

So there are plenty of reasons to want Bill O'Brien fired. But 2 that stand out from the last 3 days for me:

1) The video of O'Brien going off on a fan at halftime of the Denver game, which was just released last Friday. Anyone who can get that angry at something that he must deal with on a regular basis, to me, is mentally unbalanced. 

2) O'Brien having to call timeouts twice in yesterday's game on 4th down because he didn't know what to do. The first one, he took too long getting a play in on fourth and one from the KC 13. Whether this was because he wasn't sure whether they got the first down or not, or he took too long deciding on a fourth down play, both are inexcusable for a HC in his sixth year. As a result he burned a TO (which might have helped the Texans get an easier FG attempt at the end of the first half) and then decided to go conservative and kick a FG. The second one, it was fourth and 4 with 11 minutes left in the game and the Texans down by 17 on the KC 42. O'Brien, in explicitly sends the punt team on the field, and then after Deshaun Watson tells him they should go for it, he changes his mind, but has to call timeout because they wouldn't be able to get the offense back on the field in time.

My biggest criticism of OC's who become head coaches is the ones that can't get their heads out of the Denny's menus and have to keep calling plays. It hurts their ability to adequately manage the whole team during a game, and they become less effective as OC's because they are distracted by other head coaching duties. O'Brien is a prime example of this.
Not to mention, wasting those timeouts also didn't allow him to challenge the pass interference that should have been called against Hopkins. Yeah, I know they never seem to overturn, but it was right in the middle of the bludgeoning and a big pass into Chiefs territory. Never know if it could have led to points and stopped the bleeding.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-to-give-Bill-O-Brien-GM-title-promote-15011119.php

*sigh* Why do I ever think this team will do the necessary thing to win? McNair must be Scottish for complacent chicken.
I don't understand it either. To me it is easily apparent that O'Brien has too much on his plate during a game with play calling duties negatively impacting on his ability to make good head coaching decisions. One could argue that some of his poor game planning (falling behind 38-3 to Denver, Falling behind 16-0 to Buffalo) could be the result of having too much on his plate with GM duties. 

Of the ten coaches this season who have been head coaches during O'Brien's six years as head coach, O'Brien is ranked 9th in regular season wins (one ahead of Ron Rivera), Is the only coach not to have a first round bye during that time, and along with Garrett and Harbaugh have not been to a conference championship during that time. Both Garrett and Rivera were fired, and Harbaugh is a past Super Bowl winnning coach. 

Factor in his halftime explosion on a fan during the Denver game, and I would fire him as fast as I could. If I had to keep him, I would at least make him hire a play caller. 

Oh my.  Hate to see Hopkins go but why would they want David Johnson and his decaying body and bloated contract?  At least get a pass protector.  Can pick up a RB anywhere.  Devonta Freeman was just released.  Could have probably signed him for cheap.  

Bill O'Brien.  yikes.

Oh my.  Hate to see Hopkins go but why would they want David Johnson and his decaying body and bloated contract?  At least get a pass protector.  Can pick up a RB anywhere.  Devonta Freeman was just released.  Could have probably signed him for cheap.  

Bill O'Brien.  yikes.
Seriously, Watson should demand 50-60 million a year right now. Why not? He might get it. They clearly aren't concerned or interested in building a good team.

So we trade multiple 1sts for Tunsil and we can't even get a 1st for Hopkins after the Raiders got a 1st for Cooper?

We have the dumbest GM in the league and quite possibly the history of the league. I would probably trust Matt Millen more as a GM at this point. We didn't HAVE to have another running back and if you wanted someone of his profile, Gordon is out there on the market and is younger.

WR has been a weakness of the team for a while outside of the one guy we always seem to have. Now what are we going to do at WR? No one else can catch or stay healthy. This feels like a signal that we'll try to go big after some FA WR like Cooper but I'd still take Hopkins over all of this nonsense.

Fire O'Brien NOW!

This one really hurts.  Trading away the future to Miami is one thing.  Trading away the present is another.  I have no more words to describe BOB and Texans ownership for allowing this f*ckery year after year.

Spoke about it in the Hopkins thread, yet another sad day to be a Texan fan. ARI should have paid us a 2nd just to take DJ and his guaranteed contract off their hands, just an inexcusably bad trade...

Honestly, just trade JJ Watt now. We all love the guy and would hate to see him go, but he deserves to play for an organization that doesn't have its head up its ###.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got to respond collectively in a way that tells the McNairs no more. I go to a game with my son every year and hell no am I going anymore until that clown is gone. No more tickets, no more gear. Nothing until O'Brien is gone.

Galaxy brain O'Brien always has a plan B, in this case Randall Cobb at 3/27. 

So now its:

1.Fuller 2. Stills 3. Cobb 4. Coutee

So 3 injury prone guys and Stills. None of whom are ideally #1 WR's, and only Fuller is ideally a #2.

BOB must be thinking he's Belichick and his system is so great he doesn't need to spend money on good WR's like the Pats did in many years. :yucky:

Hopefully seeing that Diggs trade just a few hours later and all the deserved vitriol and belittling being thrown at the organization wakes ownership up but we all know it won't make a difference.

BOB must be thinking he's Belichick and his system is so great he doesn't need to spend money on good WR's like the Pats did in many years. :yucky:

Hopefully seeing that Diggs trade just a few hours later and all the deserved vitriol and belittling being thrown at the organization wakes ownership up but we all know it won't make a difference.
Talk about pouring salt into the wound.  I can't wait to hear Bob's rationalization of the Hopkins trade.  Not getting a 1st and taking on that horrific contract still befuddles me.  

So Buffalo gives up a 1st, 5th, 6th and a 4th (2021) for Diggs, a guy not on the same tier as Hopkins.  Wonder did BoB even try to get a first rounder.  

Maybe he'd trade D. Watson to my Panthers for Cam Newton... let's make this happen!  

Galaxy brain O'Brien always has a plan B, in this case Randall Cobb at 3/27. 

So now its:

1.Fuller 2. Stills 3. Cobb 4. Coutee

So 3 injury prone guys and Stills. None of whom are ideally #1 WR's, and only Fuller is ideally a #2.
Piling on, and I got no dog here, but man, I would have thought Texans could have pulled Isabella or Hakeem Butler back....or even the 6th rounder wr whose name escapes me now.   Keesean I think?    Seriously, a throw in at that point.   

Talk about pouring salt into the wound.  I can't wait to hear Bob's rationalization of the Hopkins trade.  Not getting a 1st and taking on that horrific contract still befuddles me.  
The scary thought is maybe he thought David Johnson was worth as much as a 1st.

Reports now that Hopkins threatened to hold out if he didn't get a contract extension. Even if true, you don't ship him off for just some magic beans.

Remember when all the complaints about not doing anything at all in Free Agency last year? I would kill for that same kind of offseason compared to this mess.

BOB not exactly having a stellar offseason. Just gave LT Laremy Tunsil the largest contract for an offensive lineman. An extension for 3 years, $66M with $57.85M guaranteed (including $40M over the first two years and a $13M signing bonus).

BOB not exactly having a stellar offseason. Just gave LT Laremy Tunsil the largest contract for an offensive lineman. An extension for 3 years, $66M with $57.85M guaranteed (including $40M over the first two years and a $13M signing bonus).
$22MM/year, good Lord. Beats the next highest OL salary by $4MM/year. And Tunsil pockets even more because he did this without an agent!

Had to trade two first round picks and now this contract...BOB just flying by the seat of his pants.

I don’t mind when BOB screws up his own team

But now he’s screwing up other teams by blowing out the salary scale for top quality LTs across the NFL

He’s a virus 

Okay, I am not one to defend BOB, but this deal is not nearly as bad as people portray. Initially, people say the deal is $66 million for 3 years so he's getting $22 million a year. Not true. the 3 years is added onto this year, which is for $10 million. So Tunsil gets $76 million over the next 4 years or $19 million per year. Lane Johnson was the highest paid lineman at $18 million per year, so not a significant increase over that. The cap hits for the Texans over the next 4 years are $14 m, $19m, $21 m, and $22 m. They basically guaranteed the first two years and if he is a flop they can get out of the contract in year 3 with only $6.5 million of dead money. With the signing bonus, Tunsil gets paid $23 million, $16 million, $18 million, and $19 million over the 4 years of his contract.

Now if Tunsil can stop the false starts, the Texans may have something.

Yeah, I get the piling on for a lot of BOB’s poor decisions, but not in this case. It was known when he was traded for that he would get a market setting contract. And that contract is not nearly as bad as the headline numbers. Despite his false starts, he was a pro bowler. Per PFF, Tunsil allowed a pressure only once every 28 snaps this season, fourth among qualifying left tackles. This despite being traded a few days before the start of the regular season.

They could have not traded the picks and once again not been able to draft one of the top 4 tackles this year as they went in the first 13 picks. (Would not having Tunesil lost them 4 games to get in front of the 13th pick? Would TB just paid an even higher price to trade up in front of HOU for the last OT? IDK.) To trade up this year would have cost them at least next years 1st with no guarantee that guy pans out. Just look at all the derision they took last year for getting sniped on Andre Dillard, he’s already being labeled a bust after one year and the Eagles tried to unload him last week with no takers. While Tytus Howard quietly made the PFF All Rookie team playing RT despite missing the last third of the season.

Between some of the off-season moves and of course the state of the world,  been kind of hard to get excited.  But glad the season is finally about here.

Go Texans!

Yeah, just hoping we can keep it respectable against the Chiefs on Thursday. I actually like the Cooks addition so I think the offense has a chance to not take as big a step backwards as many expect but this may not be the game to see it if we fall down big early. I don't think David Johnson is a fit for this offense at all but I've been wrong about things before. Maybe we can pick up Miller cheaply as 1-2 down banger insurance.

Watson contract was understandable, but I have no idea how BOB is going to manage the cap next year. Cobb/Mercilus (both horrible contracts), and Roby, Cunningham contracts are too much dead money to get out of everybody, that leaves Watt, Cooks, and DJ as the biggest money savings guys. One is the longtime face of the franchise and the other two you just traded away important assets for. Also no 1st or 2nd next draft. Way to go BOB.

These are my preseason predictions for the Texans this year that I was chatting on with coworkers today as well:

• The much maligned Texans OL actually shows well and finishes as a top 10 unit
  • Brandin Cooks is already hurt (sigh) and I think that'll be an unfortunate trend to our WR corps this season. I'd guess Randall Cobb stands out as our most consistent WR option across the season with Cooks and Fuller missing games here and there.
  • David Johnson has a really good and surprising-to-most rebound year and shows himself not only as a bell cow back, but the second best receiving option of the bunch.
  • The division goes down to the wire with Texans, Titans, and Colts all in there until the end. This division has the makings of 3 teams right around 9-7 or 8-8 beating each other up.
  • I think the Texans take one of the wild card slots as I think the Titans finally take the division this year. Texans lose in the first round if it's a cold weather away game (i.e. Pittsburgh) but win it if it's a warm weather destination (i.e. Chargers) and then fall in the second round to KC/Baltimore

I think the o'line does have a chance to shine this year. There's been good preseason buzz about Fulton and Howard really played well once they settled him in at RT. Tunesil had no offseason with us last year so hopefully he cuts down on the false starts which were really the only negative his first year.

The rest IDK, I think we still have a pretty good shot at the division title, I personally think the Titans regress and the Colts are able to give us a run for our money with a resurgent Rivers at the helm. If Rivers truly is cooked like he kind of looked last year, then the Colts will struggle. Next year is probably when things fall apart for us and all of BOB's bad decisions finally catch up to him.

Well, I was cautiously optimistic that the Texans would spread the ball around a lot more with the Deandre Hopkins gone and the variety of options they have at WR, TE, and RB. Last night was disappointing because A) even though KC was taking away the deep ball playing cover 2, the Texans took no shots down the field to Cooks or Fuller. I think you have to take some shots to keep the defense honest B) If the deep ball was taken away, why didn't Randall Cobb have any catches until late in the four quarter with the defense playing prevent? C) why did the TE's only have 4 catches again with the defense taking away the deep ball? D) Finally, why no designed QB runs? Deshawn has the ability to run, why not use that talent to give the defense one more thing to defend?

I know Tim Kelly is calling the plays, but I think ultimately the offense is still being run by BOB. I just don't think he knows how to utilize the talents of the players he has, he just tries to make everything fit into his predetermined system.

Well, I was cautiously optimistic that the Texans would spread the ball around a lot more with the Deandre Hopkins gone and the variety of options they have at WR, TE, and RB. Last night was disappointing because A) even though KC was taking away the deep ball playing cover 2, the Texans took no shots down the field to Cooks or Fuller. I think you have to take some shots to keep the defense honest B) If the deep ball was taken away, why didn't Randall Cobb have any catches until late in the four quarter with the defense playing prevent? C) why did the TE's only have 4 catches again with the defense taking away the deep ball? D) Finally, why no designed QB runs? Deshawn has the ability to run, why not use that talent to give the defense one more thing to defend?

I know Tim Kelly is calling the plays, but I think ultimately the offense is still being run by BOB. I just don't think he knows how to utilize the talents of the players he has, he just tries to make everything fit into his predetermined system.
Yep more of the same last night. Bad clock mgmt., lack of urgency, defense did better defending on the deep plays but then got picked apart underneath. Some dumb penalties at the worst times. Right side of the line struggled mightily but when facing Chris Jones and Frank Clark that'll happen to lots of guys. Started out well, but you can tell the Chiefs adjusted to what we were doing that was new and then we couldn't pivot from there.

Ravens are another tough matchup next week but then the schedule lightens up.

Users who are viewing this thread