Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Houston Texans Thread- Now a real ringleader @ QB

6 hours ago, Houston turmOiler said:

Wish I wouldn't have said "cultural change" in my post a few spots above considering their reasoning in firing Palcic. At this point I'm just ready for Cal to sell the team. 

Yep.  One of the worst run organizations in all of sports.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite possibly the worst day in franchise history. We gave everything away for peanuts.  I mean really, look at this: Clowney + 2020 1st + 2021 1st + 2021 2nd for Duke Johnson + Kenny Stills

Hallelujah 😁

I would have applauded them doing this a few years ago.  I suppose its a step in the right direction but BOB's GMing is really going to hurt the Texans going forward.   

Bradley Roby announces he too has been suspended 6 games 

“On Monday night, Houston Texans cornerback Bradley Roby announced that his season was over, as he has been suspended six games for violating the NFL's performance enhancing substances policy. Roby broke the news himself, and offered a statement apologizing to his teammates. 

Here's his statement, via James Palmer of the NFL Network:

"I apologize to my family, my teammates, the Houston Texans organization and the fans. A few months ago I unknowingly used a product that was contaminated with a banned substance by the NFL. I recognized that it is my job to know, and be responsible for, everything I put in my body. I will be suspended for 6 games ending my season. I will take the necessary steps in the future to prevent this from ever happening again. I look forward to rejoining my teammates next season in our goal to bring a championship to Houston."

Link

1 hour ago, Major said:

The hits just keep on coming.  I wouldn't be surprised if BOB also moonlighted as the team physician.  

Only silver lining is that I believe this voids Roby’s guaranteed salary for 2021. He’s our best corner but the salary cap needs a major overhaul so that gives a new regime a little more flexibility. I believe we also recoup his and Fuller’s salaries for the last 5 games which is like 4.5M.

4 hours ago, dhockster said:

So the obvious question is were Roby and Fuller using the same guy who gave them the PED's? I am also curious as to when the Texans knew about the possible suspensions since they cut Kenny Stills last week

Supposedly yes, they both saw the same guy and took the same substance that they “thought” was ok. That’s their story at least.

What do we know about Isaiah Coulter?

Pencil thin, good speed, can high point it, probably will excel best in intermediate and 9 routes (but he’s nowhere near as fast as the recently departed.)

Gonna line up outside mostly? I presume Coutee and the other shrimp (Stevie Sumtin’, mostly STer) will be in the slot.

Run game suxors, Atkins has duck hands, what’s gonna work best without a burner to keep the safeties honest?

FYI - Watson one of two QBs who started/finished 4 games in November without throwing an interception.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, dhockster said:

Very interesting article. Will the Texans want to or be able to keep Jack Easterby based on some of the assertions made in this article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

Awful, BOB gets all the blame but it appears Easterby was just as responsible for the mess the team is in as BOB. No wonder there was that report about Hopkins being told he was as bad as Aaron Hernandez, chaos reigns inside the Texans building.

Cal McNair needs to be removed or sell the team, he clearly has no idea what he’s doing either letting this craziness get so out of hand.

• 3 weeks later...

What a dreadful year end to end. No hope in sight for 2021 draft help and we handed Miami a top 3 pick for an OL that still is porous and in dire need of help.

Not sure where we really go. We need help everywhere and it probably needs to start with a big splash new coach that I can almost feel will underwhelm per usual Texans. 

I think we might see one or more of our LBers traded to get some draft picks back. We need help everywhere and Adams was a good fill in for McKinney so losing one of them isn’t the worst.

It’s small, but we are in big need of uniform updates too. Use the whole reboot needed to toss everything out and start over - new GM, new coach, new uniforms. 

14 hours ago, Jayded said:

What a dreadful year end to end. No hope in sight for 2021 draft help and we handed Miami a top 3 pick for an OL that still is porous and in dire need of help.

Not sure where we really go. We need help everywhere and it probably needs to start with a big splash new coach that I can almost feel will underwhelm per usual Texans. 

I think we might see one or more of our LBers traded to get some draft picks back. We need help everywhere and Adams was a good fill in for McKinney so losing one of them isn’t the worst.

It’s small, but we are in big need of uniform updates too. Use the whole reboot needed to toss everything out and start over - new GM, new coach, new uniforms. 

There are paths to fixing things but I have zero confidence they can execute on one at this time. Needs to be a busy off-season which starts with landing an good offense minded head coach IMO and capable GM. I doubt either of those happen but fingers crossed. They are projected $16M over the cap. Need to get some of BOB’s bad contracts off the books although some we have to live with for another year until 2022 makes guys easier to cut: trade one if not two linebackers like you said for any pick we can get, unfortunately I don’t think there’s any savings to cutting Cunningham, Randall Cobb or Mercilus because of their guaranteed salaries, maybe we can trade Mercilus. McKinney should be a trade or cut now that we have Adams.

Obviously the big questions are Watt, the WR’s and the RB’s. Some combo’s of restructuring or trades need to occur. A trade may be inevitable now but Hopefully you can mend fences with Watt and extend him and get his cap number down from 17.5M. A Cooks extension/restructure makes the most sense IMO but I could see either him traded too depending on the new regimes desire to free up as much space as possible. Fuller a 1 year prove it deal or franchise tag IMO, can’t imagine there will be large demand for him after the PED suspension and injury history.

The DJ’s outright cut Duke or both, if they keep David J then a 1-2 year extension converting his 6M non-guaranteed base salary to a signing bonus to spread out the hit. Find a cheap vet off the scrap heap if both are gone. RB FA market should be flush this year, a guy like Conner might be a good get if at the right price.

After that focus on the o’line, need upgrades at position coach, guard and center. Maybe you can somehow get a 2nd for one of Watt or Cooks and use that pick and our early 3rd on pieces for the o’line or front 7.

If it was me, I would face the music that the defense is trash and gut it along with a few other position groups like the TE’s and interior o’line. Roby voided his guaranteed, cut him and save the $7M. Let all the reclamation projects like Hargreaves go. The TE’s have been failures, save a little money and move on from Fells, give up on Warring for example. Cut Martin, Fulton, Kelemete and take a chance on some rook’s or other FA’s since we know these current three suck. Try to get the offense focused and in a good place for 2021, we’ve shown we can hang with the Colts and Titans even with our current terrible defense and poor o’line. With just better coaching we could threaten them again. Spend your draft and FA dollars rebuilding the defense starting in 2022 onwards.

One thing is for sure, if they keep Mike Devlin around then we know we are in for more of the same old crap.

Intradivision trades are always hard to forecast, but what would the titans need to give to get Watt? 

He could finally rock that Oilers throwback jersey he wants.

20 hours ago, Jayded said:

I would think Houston would be the most appealing job for any HC candidate. Sure you don't have draft picks, but you also have an elite QB just entering his prime. No other team with a coaching opening has that. Maybe Herbert, or Lawrence get there, but its possible/likely those guys are never as good as Watson is right now. That's a major asset, one more important than a couple high draft picks.

3 hours ago, Buckna said:

Fuller a 1 year prove it deal or franchise tag IMO, can’t imagine there will be large demand for him after the PED suspension and injury history.

I think there will be a huge market for Fuller regardless of the PED suspension. He's a 4.3 WR, who has shown the ability to be a #1 WR. I'd say he's the next guy up after Godwin and maybe Robinson among FA WR's. I'd bet he has a bigger market than Golladay or JuJu, and certainly higher than vets like Hilton or M.Jones.

The more I've noodled through this mess in my head, I think the 2021 draft needs to focus on offensive skill players. Not having a pick until the 3rd means we will be far too down the list of impactful OL or DL that this team really needs. I think we just need to wait for 2022 to see non-FA progress there or we'll be reaching for late round projects again.

I think we just go for it with RBs/TEs/WRs in the 2021 draft and spend 2022 offseason on defense as a whole (DL in particular) and OL.

15 hours ago, Jayded said:

The more I've noodled through this mess in my head, I think the 2021 draft needs to focus on offensive skill players. Not having a pick until the 3rd means we will be far too down the list of impactful OL or DL that this team really needs. I think we just need to wait for 2022 to see non-FA progress there or we'll be reaching for late round projects again.

I think we just go for it with RBs/TEs/WRs in the 2021 draft and spend 2022 offseason on defense as a whole (DL in particular) and OL.

Not a bad thought. Although I think the defensive cupboard is so bare, you have to try and find some diamonds in the rough there. The offense will be fine. The O-line is going to be better with better coaching and scheme. Seeing a game where Coutee and Hansen were the starters and each had 100 yard games, shows that Deshaun can work with any receivers. The Texans should extend Cooks in a cap friendly way and wave bye bye to Fuller. He has great talent, but if he can't stay on the field unless he is using PED's then his value is not worth the contract someone will be willing to pay him.

22 hours ago, travdogg said:

I think there will be a huge market for Fuller regardless of the PED suspension. He's a 4.3 WR, who has shown the ability to be a #1 WR. I'd say he's the next guy up after Godwin and maybe Robinson among FA WR's. I'd bet he has a bigger market than Golladay or JuJu, and certainly higher than vets like Hilton or M.Jones.

If there is that big a market then another team is welcome to him. The PED suspension in a contract year, the only year he stayed healthy is a massive red flag.

Texans have a new GM

”The #Texans and Nick Caserio have an agreement in place, source said. The former #Patriots Director of Player Personnel is the new GM in Houston.”

Link

Edited by whole-show
  • Sad 1

Does this team want any fans? I really cannot see how they do not see the precipice on which they currently stand. Cal surely has no clue how to fix this, but there's no way he can't sense the danger his franchise is in right now, right?

If we end up trading Watson, we'll almost be forced to trade JJ given his comments and desire to play for a winner (trading Watson would signal the end of that in near future).

Ugh, PFT has reported that not only was Omar Khan likely going to be hired, he had been negotiating a contract!!! with Houston when Jack Easterby swept in and intercepted the whole operation. Caserio wasn’t even on the list of GM’s recommended by the search team that McNair paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and spent the last 3 months working on. Just a giant mess.

24 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Ugh, PFT has reported that not only was Omar Khan likely going to be hired, he had been negotiating a contract!!! with Houston when Jack Easterby swept in and intercepted the whole operation. Caserio wasn’t even on the list of GM’s recommended by the search team that McNair paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and spent the last 3 months working on. Just a giant mess.

The only 🤷‍♂️ about Khan as I've read more is he's strictly a numbers guy (Cap & Contract) and not really a personnel guy. As I understand it, Caserio has experience on both sides, but yeah the oddity is you hire a third party to help and take literally none of their suggestions at all.

Given personnel issues, I wonder if we'd still be in similar personnel messes with Khan or others not named Caserio but I also think the head coach is going to be huge here. I'm really curious when we decide to pull the trigger as the pool of teams looking is only getting bigger by day.

The other bad optic, is soliciting input from your star QB on who he would want as head coach, and then not even interview the guy he wants most (who is being interviewed by virtually every other team who is looking for a head coach). If you are not going to give any creedence to what he wants, don't even ask him to be part of the process.

• Like 1

Bills fans saw this with their founder Ralph Wilson. It was a gigantic mess for a decade or more before he passed in his mid 90s. I hate to tell you Houston fans, but I think you are in for the same. Bad ownership = bad teams

1 hour ago, Jayded said:

The only 🤷‍♂️ about Khan as I've read more is he's strictly a numbers guy (Cap & Contract) and not really a personnel guy. As I understand it, Caserio has experience on both sides, but yeah the oddity is you hire a third party to help and take literally none of their suggestions at all.

Given personnel issues, I wonder if we'd still be in similar personnel messes with Khan or others not named Caserio but I also think the head coach is going to be huge here. I'm really curious when we decide to pull the trigger as the pool of teams looking is only getting bigger by day.

Yeah, I should have been more clear. I am not upset at not getting Khan, I am more upset that they told the guy he had the job and were negotiating in good faith with someone and then pulled the rug out. What coaching candidates or front office personnel or players are ever going to trust you or want to deal with you after seeing that?

Edited by Buckna
15 hours ago, rockaction said:

This is just brutal. More Rivers McCown on Easterby.

https://www.riversmccown.com/2021/01/11/there-are-many-megachurches-in-houston/

Couldn't have said it better myself. Cal is in over his head as an owner and Easterby is taking advantage of that. With Andre Johnson's tweet yesterday that nothing good has happened for the organization since they hired Easterby, it will be interesting to see if McNair responds to the growing public pressure (as well as pressure for current and former players) to get rid of Easterby.

Edited by dhockster

So fellow fans, let’s assume the Texans do decide to move on from Watson despite any of our feelings pro or contrary. 

In that specific scenario, what would make that “ok” to you? What would it take to not make you completely throw your hands up or to feel like the Texans got fair equity in the deal?

19 hours ago, Jayded said:

So fellow fans, let’s assume the Texans do decide to move on from Watson despite any of our feelings pro or contrary. 

In that specific scenario, what would make that “ok” to you? What would it take to not make you completely throw your hands up or to feel like the Texans got fair equity in the deal?

Most teams who have traded up into the number 1 or 2 draft slot in recent years have traded at least 2 number ones and a second to get those picks to select a "potential" top QB. Watson is a known top QB. Therefore, if the Texans got 3 numbers ones and at least a second round pick, I think that would be fair compensation. Maybe if he went to Miami, and Tua was coming back in the deal, it would be Tua, 2 number ones, and at least a second round pick.

Edited by dhockster
1 hour ago, dhockster said:

Most teams who have traded up into the number 1 or 2 draft slot in recent years have traded at least 2 number ones and a second to get those picks to select a "potential" top QB. Watson is a known top QB. Therefore, if the Texans got 3 numbers ones and at least a second round pick, I think that would be fair compensation. Maybe if he went to Miami, and Tua was coming back in the deal, it would be Tua, 2 number ones, and at least a second round pick.

Almost typed something similar: 3, 18, the 2.18 and Tua? I don’t think that is enough to be honest. I think MIA taking some salary from us in the form of a LB’er or a Cobb would also need to be in play as well or maybe instead another future pick with conditions like their ‘22 2nd that turns into a 1st if they make the AFC title game or something.

Tua prior to his college injury looked like a future star but what little I saw of him this year makes me question if he’s damaged goods and will ever get back to what he was. I don’t see him as a major positive in the trade, more a speculative maybe. And if you do or don’t get Tua are you still forced to take a Zach Wilson or Justin Fields at 3? And battle it out? Otherwise maybe Tua and take JaMarr Chase at 3 to give him a weapon that doesn’t cost a ton like Fuller might? Plus if Fuller does sign big somewhere else, we’d be in line for a compensatory 3rd. There’d potentially be a trade down option from 3 as well from a QB hungry team and then grab a WR farther down plus extra picks. A move out of the 3 that netted us another future 1st or 2nd would be one heck of a shot in the arm.

At 18 you’d almost have to take some form of pass rusher, otherwise switch to best defender at 3 (are any worth that? All the mocks I see are filled with offense at the top) and a WR at 18. Either a guard or another Def front 7 player at 2.18. Trading Watson would also need to result in some sort of decent return for moving Watt, as well cutting some of the dead weight I mentioned in an earlier post.

I’m not sure there’s a realistic haul that can really restore my faith in this organization. The front office needs massive change all the way up to ownership. I can easily see them trading for whatever they get offered since the sharks smell blood in the water which wouldn’t be enough. QB’s bust all the time and that sets teams back year after year, it’d have been much easier to keep Watson happy and to take our licks for another year, at which point you can get out of these terrible contracts and start retooling thru the draft and FA.

Maybe the Dolphins can send Fitzmagic back to us as a stopgap QB? LOL

Yeah the above is why I asked. As much as I'd hate to lose JJ, at a certain point the deal is actually a good one I could probably be talked and ok with.

With Watson there's a whole next level here too. We took forever to finally find a true franchise QB. If we move on from that, what does that signal to the fans?

I think anything short of a franchise QB or a would-be franchise QB (think Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, etc.) is going to tailspin the team and the fans.

It's probably impossible to imagine but to me we'd need to get someone like Lawrence to make the Watson trade palatable for me personally. Since that's only likely if a division rival were to go along, I really don't see it happening. I like Fields/Wilson as prospects, but I'm not mortgaging Watson for the "hope" that it happens unless we absolutely must even if that's 2-3 other 1sts coming back. Watson is a team leader and done good for the city, so even if the talent is there for someone else, it's a bigger hill to climb than just seeing Watson as a top 10 level QB.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, The Duff Man said:

Don’t they need to trade him out of the conference. He may play 15 more years. Once you get turned around do you really want to be facing him in the playoffs for more than a decade?

Ideally yes, but I believe the Jets and Dolphins are the most common names being batted around due to them having multiple extra draft picks.

4 hours ago, GregR said:

Can I just ignore the news and hope they manage to work things out with him instead?

Please?

I'm just... sick to my stomach with how inept this franchise has been.

I think we’ll have a better idea in a week or so, Eagles appear to be leaning towards McDaniels or Staley. All other head coach spots are filled and while lots of interviews no one snatched up Bienemy who we interviewed finally on Monday. Chiefs will either be out or in the two-week window before the SB. Hiring Bienemy or another coach Watson approves of would be a significant olive branch.

Of course, any coach coming to Houston will have to watch his back to make sure Easterby doesn’t stick a knife in it.

Thought this was interesting for Watt:

https://twitter.com/sethwalder/status/1351998400439455745?s=21

One of the most double-teamed and still successful pass rushers in the league. Texans just have no one else opposing offenses have to account for leading to Watt’s reduced headline stats/numbers. If he does get traded somewhere wouldn’t be surprised to see people talking about his “resurgence” next year.

1 hour ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

There's a rumor that the Texans are apparently exploring the idea of Josh McCown as head coach but surrounding him with at least one former head coach on his staff.

I saw this on ESPN. What a bizarre move. Dude is coaching HS football. But that’s his only coaching experience? He surely knows the game but that’s quite the leap. 

Any chance they pull a Bill Russell and roll him out there as a player-coach if they trade Watson? Just joking... kind of.

McCown is highly thought of and considered an almost for certain future head coach. Texans signed him away as a player mainly for that reason. Surely they aren’t actually considering him as the head coach at this point though. Hopefully it was more an experience builder and maybe a curtesy in order to keep him in the building as part of the future staff.

Rumors now that Watson actually has the Jets at the top of his list because they hired Saleh. I imagine these rumors will change every few days, but this one seems odd considering how bad of shape the Jets roster is in. I assumed Watson wouldn’t be interested, but a possible trade there works better for the Texans. The 2, 23, and either both their ‘22 1sts or one of them plus multiple other picks would ease the sting of trading Watson. That doesn’t hurt the Jets future much as those extra 1sts are from trading away Jamal Adams plus they are likely to use the #2 on a QB anyway. They have the 2nd most cap space as well so could fill roster holes that way and recoup a mid round pick by trading Darnold. The 2nd pick would put the Texans in the drivers seat for a lot of QB hungry teams to pay well to trade up to.

Daydreaming here: if the Texans can come away with something like a pick in the 7-15 range (Lions thru Patriots of QB needy teams), the 23, a 2nd from trading down from 2, another 2nd for Watt, a 3rd from the Jets, and 2 future 1sts (1 from the Jets, 1 from a trade down from 2) that would be quite a haul to start over with. I don’t know what you’d do at QB though. Maybe one of Fields, Wilson or Lance slips to whatever pick you trade down to from the 2.

What sucks most about us still flapping in the wind with our coaching search is the rumor mill going crazy given the situation with Watson. I don't know how to make heads or tails of any of it.

I like EB regardless as a coach and good fit for the team and a future identity, but let's not kid ourselves in that part of the hope with his hire is to appease Watson as well. If reports this morning are to be believed, it might not matter who we hire at all as Watson might just be done done.

Does that change your opinion of who should be coach if Watson is out no matter what? I think if he's out, it makes me lean even more to an offensive candidate (EB, Brady, McCown) than it would defensive like Frazier. If we have to start over at QB, we would want someone to groom that player from the beginning.

I still prefer we keep Watson, but if we must move on, I wonder if a new option that arose yesterday might be a better next step for us - Send him to the Jets and get more picks or a defensive player like Williams instead of Darnold. Flip something to the Lions to get Stafford to bring him back to Texas. Then draft your top choice at QB with #3 from the Jets (Wilson, Fields, or Lance). Let that 1st round QB sit for a few years behind Stafford to learn and use the picks from Watson trade to rebuild weapons, defense, and OL so it is in a better position for the 1st round QB in a few years.

Are the Houston Texans really dumb enough to trade Watson just because he wants out or says rotten things and won't take phone calls? What are the options? He doesn't show up and he doesn't get paid for the next 2-3 years, Houston made their bed they should lie in it for a bit. Watson is one of the best Quarterbacks in the NFL, if they have to trade him then their entire fan base should just pack up. I'm sorry but why suffer for another 10-20 years, abandon ship. There are simply some things that teams should never screw up and not being able to hold on to a Top Tier QB in the NFL, you're playing a different game but it's not football or at the NFL level. You're just throwing away money supporting that kind of franchise. I've been quiet about it and I know my team is heavily involved in the rumor mll and all i can say is whatever the Texans want within reason, I would trade Tua back in return, throw in whatever picks they want and MOVE FORWARD, that's what Miami would be doing. 

Watson just had perhaps the greatest season of any NFL QB, 88% of his team's offense, I'll take that all day long don here in Miami. I loved him at Clemson, feel he isn't talked about in the same nice ways as others who produce less. This guys is a complete stud at QB and Miami has never had a QB with his skills, NEVER. And if Houston is dumb enough to trade him or feels like they somehow owe it to him to get him out of town, please oh please pick up the phone and ask for some of these draft picks back, sent happily. 

Sincerely,

The City of Miami 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Are the Houston Texans really dumb enough 

You're asking this about a team that traded one of the best receivers for an old RB? and then ruined their relationship with one of the most valuable players in the league. 

Even JJ watt wants out. 

Edited by -OZ-
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

You're asking this about a team that traded one of the best receivers for an old RB? and then ruined their relationship with one of the most valuable players in the league. 

Even JJ watt wants out. 

I'm sorry OZ, that's gotta stink and I understand what you're saying. 

6 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I'm sorry OZ, that's gotta stink and I understand what you're saying. 

Are you confusing me for a Texans fan? 

• Thinking 1