What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Should I Get Married? (1 Viewer)

Kids.  Yes, technically you could have children without being married, but much better for all involved to do it in a stable family environment.

No kids. Married 20+ years and love it..But it has to suck if you aren't right for each other.

Because you like the chick so much that the thought of someone else going balls deep drives you nuts.

Basically you're locking her up all for yourself.

Couldn't you have still lived her for 20 years WITHOUT Marriage?
Did you mean "with her"?

Oh yeah. We did it for her family. We could have been just as happy without making it official but I am glad we did. 30 years together this August.

Because you believe strongly enough in the relationship, separate and apart from the two individuals, that you want it to be more work to split up than it is to stay together, knowing that you will both eventually fix whatever the problem is and get back to a good place.

Can't think of any other reason.

Lot of "passing on your genes" talk.  That requires marriage?

The only reason I can think of to get married is either because you want to, or because you think that is what you are supposed to do. 

:ptts: :ptts: :ptts:

Literally the only reason to get married is to require lawyers get involved when you want to break up. 

Marriage has no other real benefits besides making 'not being married anymore' expensive and inconvenient. 
Thats a lawyer problem, not a break up problem. Blame the scummy lawyers looking for a payday enabling the bs. 

I'm interested in this thread, as it's a question I've asked myself. I've been with a woman going on three years. We've been living together on weekends but are going to move in together in a couple months. That's going to be a big step for me to get used to right there. I really prefer sleeping alone and like my alone time. I'm a writer and keep abnormal hours. But I do feel that I've found the perfect woman to fit me. We get along so easily, have never been in a fight (we'll see if that continues once living together full time) and align in what we want out of life. In our minds, we are already committed for the long term. But we don't want kids, so what's the need to marry? Marriage as an institution means nothing to me. I'm not traditional in any beliefs. She also isn't the typical woman who grew up dreaming of her wedding day. I think she would like to be married to me, but really she just wants us to spend the rest of our lives together.

So if living together goes well, do we get married? That's the question that has crept into my mind. I don't think marriage is a requirement of hers for us to stay together. I've never felt any pressure from her in that regard. The pressure comes from my mother, the traditional old guard. She thinks highly of my girlfriend and has been urging me to propose for two years. Since marriage doesn't have the romantic connotations to me (who would consider romantic the most broken vows in the history of mankind?), the only appeal to me is of a business nature. I make a decent enough sum to comfortably cover my expenses and live relatively well, but she makes more than me and likely always will. She has a good job in business. As a writer, I sacrifice money to do what I enjoy and never have to work out of an office or for a boss. I do have more money than her, though, as she still has a little bit left to pay back in college loans while I'm nine years older and have had more time to save. If we marry, I can piggyback on her health benefits, which would certainly be a plus. People say there are tax benefits. I haven't taken the time yet to look seriously into that, but it could be another advantage. But I think the biggest financial reason to marry would be my mother and stepfather. They are wealthy and I expect my mother would reward us for getting married, probably paying for us to take a great trip ("honeymoon") and giving us money toward the purchase of our first house. If we got married, I expect it wouldn't be with a wedding. We aren't traditional or religious. I'd say we sign the papers, have a nice dinner with about 30 family/friends and then take it to our favorite bar. The possible financial downside to my getting married is if I get a 7-figure inheritance from my mother, and then we end up getting divorced. That's hopefully a long way from being an issue, and I really feel we are lifers. But I suppose that is what everyone thinks when they get married. At this point, I like the idea of building a life together and taking advantage of the increased buying power of our joint finances. I do see us as stronger together. My family's connections can help her make more. She can bring in more annually while I'll bring in more eventually. It looks like a boost to my short-term finances. I really want us to do this (build) together. I see this working because I see us working. Maybe this is naive.

So there's my thoughts. If you're going to have kids, I can see marriage being a way to provide a stable environment, even it is a mirage. If you're not having kids and you find the right woman who doesn't hold the traditional regard for marriage, I don't think it is needed to be committed to each other. If it's financially advantageous, why not? But I'm guessing the OP is looking at it as potentially harmful to his finances. And I'd say most guys get married for a combination of it being what they are supposed to do and the only way they can keep this woman they like in their life after a certain point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shrugs, hate to break it to ya, but like 98% of what you just said will NOT play out that way once you get married.  Your welcome in advance

Shrugs, hate to break it to ya, but like 98% of what you just said will NOT play out that way once you get married.  Your welcome in advance
You may be right. What I think I could negotiate prior to marriage is the reward from my mother. She knows I have no interest in getting married, so if I get to a point where I'm even willing to consider it then when she bugs me I can let her know what it would take. At least I'd know there is one large benefit of which I could be certain. And if she says no, I just don't get married.

Seems like the strangest thing ever.  Hey mom, pay me and I will get married. 

Hey babe, my mom is paying us, that is the only reason we are getting married.

Seems like the strangest thing ever.  Hey mom, pay me and I will get married. 

Hey babe, my mom is paying us, that is the only reason we are getting married.
It does, and I don't think I would tell her exactly how that went. But if she knows we are committed with or without marriage and doesn't view marriage as important, she understands the business arrangement aspect.

It depends on the number of women you want to be in a relationship with, and vice versa.

0 - don't get married

1 - definitely get married

2  to a small number - probably should get married

a large number - don't get married.

The exception is if you want kids, and want a traditional upbringing for them, then you need to get married.

When you get divorced and are in your forties dating again women won't think something is wrong with you but if you've never been married it's assumed you have commitment issues. 

When you get divorced and are in your forties dating again women won't think something is wrong with you but if you've never been married it's assumed you have commitment issues. 
Exactly. And "he has commitment issues" is just womenspeak for "he might not stay married to me long enough for me to get alimony".

I tell women I'm a widower. It's amazing, sometimes I can actually hear their panties get wet.

If you like losing your home, giving up half or more of your ####, then taking half or more of your paycheck while she lets some schmo live in your house, and #### her in your bed while you live in an apartment that is an embarrassment ...then marriage is for you.  

How do you like gambling on more than 50% odds that this will be you in exchange for her health insurance?   

It's ironic that so many men are against prenups because they think it will increase the odds of divorce.

I'm a millennial who has already made up his mind to never get married/have kids. I'll check back in a couple decades to tell you how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread