What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dak Prescott, DAL (3 Viewers)

regardless of whether you think Dak deserves $35 million a year, or $25 million a year, or somewhere in between, there is definitely pressure on Dak to get a deal done before he subjects himself to injury in training camp, preseason games or regular season games. He has not had the huge payday yet, and he doesn't really have a safety net with this being the last year of his rookie deal. I would be surprised if something doesn't get done early in training camp.

He brings a team-oriented mindset and stability to the offense, which showed significant improvement down the stretch. His skills may not be heralded in the fantasy community but I can see him maturing into a quarterback who is capable of winning a Super Bowl with a strong defense. I think 30+ a year is warranted, given his age, signs of continued improvement and positive presence in the locker room. If he develops a connection with Cooper, that offense could be really good.

He brings a team-oriented mindset and stability to the offense, which showed significant improvement down the stretch. His skills may not be heralded in the fantasy community but I can see him maturing into a quarterback who is capable of winning a Super Bowl with a strong defense. I think 30+ a year is warranted, given his age, signs of continued improvement and positive presence in the locker room. If he develops a connection with Cooper, that offense could be really good.
Trent Dilfer was enough to win with a strong defense.

Until proven otherwise, that is about the tier Dak has earned.

To continue this line of logic.. the other quarterbacks getting paid that money are getting paid to carry those teams.  Under no interpretation is Dak able to carry a team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trent Dilfer was enough to win with a strong defense.

Until proven otherwise, that is about the tier Dak has earned.

To continue this line of logic.. the other quarterbacks getting paid that money are getting paid to carry those teams.  Under no interpretation is Dak able to carry a team.
Dak might not be carrying them but he's 32-16 as a starter.

I don't think guys like Wentz and Cousins necessarily carry their teams. They're all getting paid. Every time a QB is due for a contract they're resetting the market. QB salaries are what they are. If they shave a little off the league-wide top end salary that's a bargain for a QB who has shown he can get it done.

I think the Cowboys would rather keep him than roll the dice on an unknown. They've been pretty shrewd evaluating talent and building their team over the last few years, curious to see how they play it.

Dak might not be carrying them but he's 32-16 as a starter.

I don't think guys like Wentz and Cousins necessarily carry their teams. They're all getting paid. Every time a QB is due for a contract they're resetting the market. QB salaries are what they are. If they shave a little off the league-wide top end salary that's a bargain for a QB who has shown he can get it done.

I think the Cowboys would rather keep him than roll the dice on an unknown. They've been pretty shrewd evaluating talent and building their team over the last few years, curious to see how they play it.
Right. In Dak's dreams he is Cousins.

Cousins at his worst is > Dak to date.

I realize he is going to get paid.. it just makes me cringe.

He is managing a team with a great OL, good skill, very good defense.  Once the money makes it impossible to keep the great OL, good skill, very good defense...... :shrug:

I'd rather keep the rest of it in tact.  This coming from a lifelong cowboy hater that has started to root for the team.

Yes.  Please do.

Prior to the second half of last year, Dak was thanking his lucky stars that Mariota and Lamar Jackson kept him out of the conversation for worst passer in the league.
except:

his passing stats are better than Wilson's first 3 years

and

his resume is among notable names such as peyton manning and Tom brady

I'm not saying hes going to be as good or better than Brady or manning... thatd be about as ridiculous as someone saying he could be confused with the worst passer in the league, but his stats are damn good compared to the first 3 years for Wilson, brady, matt Ryan, and several others

except:

and

I'm not saying hes going to be as good or better than Brady or manning... thatd be about as ridiculous as someone saying he could be confused with the worst passer in the league, but his stats are damn good compared to the first 3 years for Wilson, brady, matt Ryan, and several others
Wilson and Prescott's stats are nearly identical so not sure how writer of that concludes better than, but in any case point taken.

one more

— Prescott is the only quarterback in NFL history with multiple seasons of 20 or more touchdown passes and fewer than 10 interceptions by the age of 25.

— Prescott is the only quarterback in NFL history with consecutive seasons of 20 or more touchdown passes and five or more rushing touchdowns.

— Prescott is the only quarterback in NFL history with multiple seasons of 20 passing touchdowns, five rushing touchdowns and fewer than 10 interceptions.

— Prescott is the only quarterback in NFL history with more than 20 games of a 100-plus passer rating (minimum 20 attempts) through the first three years of their career.

— Since 1994, Prescott is the NFL’s highest-rated passer (by an wide margin) when tied in the fourth quarter or overtime (minimum 50 pass attempts).

and hes the highest rated passer by an obscene margin tied in 4th quarter 

even after 2 years his stats are compelling 

I'm surprised to see Dak ranked around qb14. If he has zero progression and he has peaked in his career then sure, that makes sense, but people seem to have such short memories... as if Russell Wilson was a top5 qb from his second year on. 

As much as I dislike Dallas, they are (seemingly) quietly putting together a really good team. A lot of people dont like him and his wrs from a dynasty perspective because he "only throws 22 TDs." Except 14 of his 22 TDs came weeks 9-17 after the team got Cooper. The future is bright

except:

and

A lesson in how you can spin numbers to say whatever you want. 

Comparing Dak's resume to Russel Wilson, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady.   What the ####.   :lmao:

eta - I can easily make Daks numbers argue he is among the worst passers in the league.

4 games over 300 yards passing.  15 games under 200 yards passing.

29 games with 1 or fewer passing TDs.

From what I can see, among QBs who played 16 games - he passed for more yards than 2, while throwing fewer TDs than either.

BUT - those 2 QBs have giant contracts, so I guess this is what will happen.

eta - correction, he threw for one more TD than one of them (Stafford).

I am resigned to the fact that Dak will get the contract... and if the team (like posters here) believe he is the next Tom Brady/Peyton Manning I guess that is the right call.

I just hold the apparently crazy opinion that he is more Marcus Mariota than Peyton Manning.

. and if the team (like posters here) believe he is the next Tom Brady/Peyton Manning I guess that is the right call.

I just hold the apparently crazy opinion that he is more Marcus Mariota than Peyton Manning.
You obviously didnt read my entire post. No one here is saying he is the next Brady or Manning. 

You were right on Mariota and I give you full credit on that, but Dak is much better than him IMO, but we can debate this for another 3 months and make zero headway. I think he is closer to QB6-12 than he is 20-32

If DAL pays Prescott$30M+ a year like he wants, they’re nuts.  You pay that kind of money to a QB who can put a team on his back and win despite the rest of the team not contributing much.  I just don’t see Prescott as that kind of QB, nor do I see he growing into that kind of QB.

If DAL pays Prescott$30M+ a year like he wants, they’re nuts.  You pay that kind of money to a QB who can put a team on his back and win despite the rest of the team not contributing much.  I just don’t see Prescott as that kind of QB, nor do I see he growing into that kind of QB.
The salary cap is going to keep going up and QB salaries are going to keep ballooning. I think the Cowboys and Dak will figure out a number that scales acceptably over time in relation to the cap. A number right at $30M won't seem as bad in a few years. That's what I'm guessing he'll get. The Cowboys are in position to make a title run over the next few years with the team as constructed.

I think Dak's reputation got cemented during a stretch when he had NO weapons around him. Dez was horrible as he sputtered to irrelevancy, Zeke was out on suspension. The offense as a whole was bad. So yeah Dak needs some weapons around him like most quarterbacks in the league. But when he got Cooper and Zeke back he started putting some huge games again.  I don't see why that won't continue.

The salary cap is going to keep going up and QB salaries are going to keep ballooning. I think the Cowboys and Dak will figure out a number that scales acceptably over time in relation to the cap. A number right at $30M won't seem as bad in a few years. That's what I'm guessing he'll get. The Cowboys are in position to make a title run over the next few years with the team as constructed.

I think Dak's reputation got cemented during a stretch when he had NO weapons around him. Dez was horrible as he sputtered to irrelevancy, Zeke was out on suspension. The offense as a whole was bad. So yeah Dak needs some weapons around him like most quarterbacks in the league. But when he got Cooper and Zeke back he started putting some huge games again.  I don't see why that won't continue.

$30M+ QBs should create weapons, not have to have them placed around him. It’ll seem a lot when they’ve got to keep paying to put pieces around Prescott capable enough to provide enough support to help him win.  Prescott’s QBR has dropped significantly every year he’s been in the league.  It’s very possible that his ceiling is a 3800 yd/24 TD QB.  In today’s NFL that’s nothing short of mediocre.

It’ll seem a lot when they’ve got to keep paying to put pieces around Prescott capable enough to provide enough support to help him win.  Prescott’s QBR has dropped significantly every year he’s been in the league.  It’s very possible that his ceiling is a 3600 yd/24 TD QB.  In today’s NFL that’s nothing short of mediocre.
I'd agree that if he does not keep up the pace he had with Cooper and take another step this year, he could be considered a middle of the road QB. I think he's still an ascending talent. I would not put his potential at quite the level of Wilson, but like Wilson he has shown that he finds ways to win. Therefore I believe he can become a top 10 QB as guys like Brady and Brees exit the league.

Therefore I believe he can become a top 10 QB as guys like Brady and Brees exit the league.

Now there’s an odd position.  You’re counting on no good to great QBs entering the league in the future and therefore Prescott will rise up the list?  For every Brees and Brady that retires, we’ll see Mayfields and Murrays enter.  And by the looks of it, Prescott sits on the outside of that club looking in.

Now there’s an odd position.  You’re counting on no good to great QBs entering the league in the future and therefore Prescott will rise up the list?  For every Brees and Brady that retires, we’ll see Mayfields and Murrays enter.  And by the looks of it, Prescott sits on the outside of that club looking in.
I'm counting on Dak improving and being ahead of the curve compared to guys coming up in the league. Guys like Mayfield and Murray might be more enticing from a fantasy perspective, but in terms of winning Dak has proven himself whereas those guys haven't had the chance to yet. In NFL terms, not fantasy (although even on that front I can seem him being top 10) I don't think it's crazy to think Dak can establish himself as a top ten guy at all.

You obviously didnt read my entire post. No one here is saying he is the next Brady or Manning. 

You were right on Mariota and I give you full credit on that, but Dak is much better than him IMO, but we can debate this for another 3 months and make zero headway. I think he is closer to QB6-12 than he is 20-32
Fair enough.  We shall see.

For fantasy he can very well be a top 8-15.  For real life he is bottom third imo.  The offense is stacked at the line and skill positions, I would describe Dak as the limiting factor on that side of the ball.

$30M+ QBs should create weapons, not have to have them placed around him. It’ll seem a lot when they’ve got to keep paying to put pieces around Prescott capable enough to provide enough support to help him win.  Prescott’s QBR has dropped significantly every year he’s been in the league.  It’s very possible that his ceiling is a 3800 yd/24 TD QB.  In today’s NFL that’s nothing short of mediocre.
I agree that Dak isnt your typical 30m qb, however does Carson Wentz create weapons? Matt Ryan? Matt Stafford? Jimmy G? Kirk Cousins? granted those last 3 are just sub 30mil but it's close enough. I'd say Dak does no different tha Matt Ryan over his career

I'm not even sure if Russell Wilson creates weapons. Hes awesome but he hasnt created guys like Ben and Rodgers have. 

I agree that Dak isnt your typical 30m qb, however does Carson Wentz create weapons? Matt Ryan? Matt Stafford? Jimmy G? Kirk Cousins? granted those last 3 are just sub 30mil but it's close enough. I'd say Dak does no different tha Matt Ryan over his career

I'm not even sure if Russell Wilson creates weapons. Hes awesome but he hasnt created guys like Ben and Rodgers have. 

I’m not arguing with you here, although Wilson I believe has proven that he can win without other studs around him.  Wentz is still open for debate  and will need to stay healthy to see if he can pull it off.  Probably the same with Garappolo.

Not sure how Stafford and Cousins even enter the conversation.  They are gobbling up cap space and their teams can’t surround them with enough talent to overcome their shortcomings.  They are perfect examples of the team problems that their excessive salaries create.

NFL management has grown so scared of losing a franchise QB that they have in many cases lost sight that their franchise guy is someone who can’t take the team to a serious contender level.  You can’t help but think, looking in from the outside, whether those teams wouldn’t be better off rolling the dice by trying to capture serious talent at QB with high draft picks rather than just shrugging their shoulders with suboptimal guys and being satisfied with security at QB that guarantees them mediocrity as a team.  Draft a young stud to push the secure vet and if it pans out, move the vet for draft capital.  If it doesn’t work out - well, you can still be mediocre with the vet.

Just treading water with the vet creates stability to have those guys, sure.  But you have to wonder if their fans are just downright tired of the same old safe QBs who are playing golf in January rather than playing football.

Not sure how Stafford and Cousins even enter the conversation.  They are gobbling up cap space and their teams can’t surround them with enough talent to overcome their shortcomings.  They are perfect examples of the team problems that their excessive salaries create.
I mention them because they are each about 3 mil away from 30 per year average. They dont deserve it, but it goes to show how competent QBs should get paid 30+ mil; it's just the going rate. There is no reason Dak should be paid less than Cousins, even if Cousins doesnt deserve that salary. I dont need to lecture anyone on how the market works in the NFL. 

I agree, teams are scared that if they let a "franchise" qb go (and we can debate what a franchise qb is; I do not define it as a future hall of famer), so they overpay these guys. They have a fear of the unknown qb

This is a great article that depicts this, and is exactly what you're talking about. 

I'm not sure Dak is worth 30 million, but he will probably get it because bad QBs are making slightly less than that, and he is worth more than them. I do think Dak is a franchise qb. I dont think today he is a guy who can single handedly win games such as Rodgers. He struggled a bit when his team was pretty poor, but he was/is young. 

You dont let Dak walk if you're the Cowboys but you also cant ruin your salary cap. Dallas will have to hope they can do well in the draft on defense and OL to help support the contracts for Dak, Cooper, and Zeke. 

I’m as high on Dak as anyone but I think he’s making a mistake. He’s not wrong but it would be in his best interest to not necessarily take a hometown discount, but just take less than the max. 

I dont see the Cowboys paying him the max. I believe they’ll cave a little but I suspect they’ll get Dak lower than his demands. 

For me- Give more guaranteed money and less max money. Guarantee the whole damn thing if it means you could possibly get him anywhere close to sub 30 annually. 

Jon Machota @jonmachota

Cowboys DB coach Kris Richard: “Dak has grown a lot. I’ve never seen a guy so intense. ... He puts in the work, he cares, he asks questions. He’s hyper-competitive. And he’s tough as nails. He’s an awesome leader of a football team.”

NFL Network's Jane Slater reports the Cowboys have made a "generous" offer to walk-year QB Dak Prescott.

The same is reportedly true for Amari Cooper and Ezekiel Elliott. According to Slater, Dallas is willing to let Prescott play out the final year of his deal if the asking price does not come down. That sounds like basic negotiation talk, and the reality is Dallas cannot let both Prescott and Cooper play out their deals because they can only tag one of them next spring. The most likely scenario remains Prescott signing a big extension prior to Week 1.

SOURCE: Jane Slater on Twitter

Aug 6, 2019, 9:35 AM ET

Charles Robinson ✔ @CharlesRobinson

If the #Cowboys force Dak Prescott to bet on himself in 2019 and he wins big, count on his agent starting next year’s salary negotiations with an average salary of 40 million.@TerezPaylor & I give you the latest on Dallas contract talks on the pod. https://apple.co/2Z2P6Mm

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1160985362640097280

[Slater]I can confirm reports that QB Dak Prescott has, in fact, turned down 30M a year offer and is instead seeking 40M a year per source informed. #Cowboys

https://twitter.com/SlaterNFL/status/1161011483473600514

because... you know... who can live off 30 mil? 

Not that this guy needs to give any kind of a discount- everyone should get paid what they're worth- I just find it hard to believe that Dak Prescott deserves to be the highest paid player in the nfl. I get ti, his stats are impressive compared to some of the elites first 3 years, I just find this hard to believe. 

I'm more curious how they're going to make Zeke the highest paid rb, cooper the highest paid wr, and Dak the highest paid player. 

ProFootballTalk reports Dak Prescott has not asked for $40 million annually.

This conflicts with a previous report. The Cowboys are offering Prescott top-five money, but it's clear the sides still have work to do. Even with Prescott in a walk year, he's not a lock to be extended before the season.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports

Aug 12, 2019, 5:32 PM ET

Wouldnt be surprised if the Cowboys started this rumor so that when they sign him for 35 mil its seen as a discount and not outrageous. 

Wouldnt be surprised if the Cowboys started this rumor so that when they sign him for 35 mil its seen as a discount and not outrageous. 
Idk about 35 mil but they definitely started the rumors. Any time offered contract numbers come out before something is signed, I assume it’s the team trying to put pressure on the player, you can tell because it’s always the annual average, never the guaranteed number. The more knowledgeable understand that guaranteed is what really matters but the general public doesn’t and their reactions tend towards, well, towards how many above reacted to the idea that Dak wanted 40 and turned down 30. If they offered him 30, it probably only included 45-55 guaranteed. Dak would turn that down based on the franchise tag alone netting him 30+ next season and that meaning there is less than 1 year’s worth of new money

Players can "seek" any type of number they want.  Can they get that number is the question.

I really like Prescott as a person, as a player he is a solid NFL QB.  Where are NFL teams going to draw the line is the question.  Would Prescott get 49 million on the open market with a new team?  I doubt it.

Are teams going to start rolling the dice and let QBs walk and take chances drafting a QB and hoping to win something in 4 years on a reasonable rookie deal?  That might be the new trend. Worked out good for Dallas when they drafted Prescott.

Users who are viewing this thread