What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dak Prescott, DAL (3 Viewers)

I feel bad because DP is a good person.  But this is why in the NFL you take the big $$$$$ when it is on the table and don`t let foolish pride get in the way. Cowobys offered Dak 35 million a year for 5 years. Why did he not take that deal??

Granted even if DP never plays again he is set for life.  But he blew a huge payday and I really think that is why he was crying when he left the field.  NFL=Take the $$ and run.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that's why they needed to have surgery performed tonight. 

I think rather than project a timeframe for recovery, I think we should all just take a moment and either pray, reflect, hope for the best, we can discuss when he might return later on. Right now, maybe just hearing how he pulls thru tomorrow and hope he doesn't suffer any more than he has to. I bet in a couple months we might hear some good things like the bones are healed but the time frame for him ot return to sports might be a very long road. 
It's gonna be a long road back for sure, but I would guess - totally speculative but I've had a similar injury - that he's back by week 1 of next year.

It's gonna be a long road back for sure, but I would guess - totally speculative but I've had a similar injury - that he's back by week 1 of next year.
I hope you are right Steve and I know Jerry Jones will be by his side and if this was going to happen, maybe Dallas is the best team for it to take place because Jerry won't turn his back on Dak, i don't believe he just says good bye in the off season and lets him rehab and sign elsewhere, not in my opinion. But I do think Dallas needs a QB with some experience or seize an opp to get a former high draft pick for a bargain by a team wanting to try and finish dead last and go get Trevor, there are a couple of those type of teams that might be interested. 

Why? It's not like Dak is someone's cousin here at Football Guys.  It sucks what happened to him today, and he seems like a good guy who I hope recovers and plays again, but there is no doubt that he erred in asking for too much and then not accepting Jerry's offer.  He likely cost himself a lot of money. 
Unless he has some nerve issues or unless Dallas gets another QB he’s still getting paid. 

After a bunch of weeks of Andy Dalton Jerry will still pay Dak. Always a gamble when you don’t take the money and hindsight is 20-20.  He bet on himself. Bummed for him and it was more exciting seeing that explosive offense with him in it. 

I feel bad because DP is a good person.  But this is why in the NFL you take the big $$$$$ when it is on the table and don`t let foolish pride get in the way. Cowobys offered Dak 35 million a year for 5 years. Why did he not take that deal??

Granted even if DP never plays again he is set for life.  But he blew a huge payday and I really think that is why he was crying when he left the field.  NFL=Take the $$ and run.
Kirk Cousins made a lot of money betting on himself and playing under the franchise tag for a couple years. 

I think $35 million will look underpaid for an elite QB in three years. And even if other people don't believe it, Dak has to believe he's an elite QB if he's ever going to become one. 

Betting on himself wasn't wrong. Taking the money wouldn't have been wrong, either. Just a really unfortunate injury. 

And I'm pretty sure he was crying because he knew his season was over and that division is totally up for grabs. He's a competitor and he's almost a year away from being able to compete again, with a lot of rehab instead. I hope he recovers fully. 

It's been reported his surgery was successful. I am not sure exactly what that means but I take it that Dak will be able to walk again and they saved his foot. I would not begin to put a timeframe on when he returns, some think as early as Week 1 next year, will that be for Dallas? 

I still think we should focus on his health over playing status for a while and that means Dallas has to think 2020, they are going to win their Division and compete in the playoffs likely, how far can they get without Dak Prescott? Is it worth mortgaging the future to make a run? Do they need an upgrade at QB, which teams might be willing to let go of someone nobody is really talking about right now?

Happy he had a "successful" surgery but have no idea what that really mean so far. But good news nonetheless 👍

Speedy Recovery Dak!

Kirk Cousins made a lot of money betting on himself and playing under the franchise tag for a couple years. 
I think $35 million will look underpaid for an elite QB in three years. And even if other people don't believe it, Dak has to believe he's an elite QB if he's ever going to become one. 

Betting on himself wasn't wrong. Taking the money wouldn't have been wrong, either. Just a really unfortunate injury. 

And I'm pretty sure he was crying because he knew his season was over and that division is totally up for grabs. He's a competitor and he's almost a year away from being able to compete again, with a lot of rehab instead. I hope he recovers fully. 
I agree, and Dak made 31 million this season alone.  The key word is "Betting" or rolling the dice.   If you have 160 million in the bank, will your happiness and quality of life improve if you have 170 million?  No, it will not.

It all get back to even though you have enough money for 20 lifetimes players get upset when a year or two later another guy gets a bigger deal.   When in real life it really does not impact your life at all.

This is possibly a career changing injury. If Dak is not ready to go by next season not sure he will get tagged again.  That is why I wish Dak would have taken the 34 million for 5 years and be done  with it. There would be zero worries then if this is career ending.

I still think we should focus on his health over playing status for a while and that means Dallas has to think 2020, they are going to win their Division and compete in the playoffs likely, how far can they get without Dak Prescott? Is it worth mortgaging the future to make a run? Do they need an upgrade at QB, which teams might be willing to let go of someone nobody is really talking about right now?
Who is Dallas going to be able to trade for that is better than Andy Dalton. Dalton isn't elite but he was a solid starter for a number of years in this league and is now working with the best supporting cast he's ever had. He should be able to keep the Cowboy's offense on track.

This isn't baseball where you trade for another bat in the lineup or a pitcher to get you over the hump.

Expecting success from an in-season trade for a QB is just not plausible. Dalton is the absolute best they can hope for this season. 

Who is Dallas going to be able to trade for that is better than Andy Dalton. Dalton isn't elite but he was a solid starter for a number of years in this league and is now working with the best supporting cast he's ever had. He should be able to keep the Cowboy's offense on track.
I think I agree with you but they need to get a back up now or another arm to develop and take all the pressure off Dak to try and return too quickly if he ever plays again which I think is a fair POV although I'm hoping for the best but you also have to be realistic. 

Tank the season and go after Trevor Lawrence.  Maybe package  Zack Martin and their high 1st round pick for the first pick if it’s someone like Cincy who has a QB already

Tank the season and go after Trevor Lawrence.  Maybe package  Zack Martin and their high 1st round pick for the first pick if it’s someone like Cincy who has a QB already
There's no "tanking" a season when you invest heavily in the RB position.

Cowboys will be fine with Dalton at QB. They're on cruise control in the worst division in football. Likely not (weren't) winning the Super Bowl this year anyway with the way their defense is playing.

I agree, and Dak made 31 million this season alone.  The key word is "Betting" or rolling the dice.   If you have 160 million in the bank, will your happiness and quality of life improve if you have 170 million?  No, it will not.

It all get back to even though you have enough money for 20 lifetimes players get upset when a year or two later another guy gets a bigger deal.   When in real life it really does not impact your life at all.

This is possibly a career changing injury. If Dak is not ready to go by next season not sure he will get tagged again.  That is why I wish Dak would have taken the 34 million for 5 years and be done  with it. There would be zero worries then if this is career ending.
Well then Mahomes would have left $330-$340 million on the table with that thinking 

Fans and media often overreact about injury impacting long term contract offers.  If his recovery goes as expected this may not cost him anything or very little. Unless he suffers nerve damage or gets a bunch of infections I really don't think this will as impactful as most are saying.

But for sure, his peace of mind right now would probably be way better had he accepted the long term deal. And on that note when he got carted off in tears I got no problem saying it hit me a little harder then that kind of thing normally would and it has to do with his battle with depression. Just knowing he's prone to depression that and that he'll be away from teammates, doing rehab which can often be lonely all the while second guessing himself and/or having fears about walking away from so much money truly concerns me for his mental well being. 

I think I agree with you but they need to get a back up now or another arm to develop and take all the pressure off Dak to try and return too quickly if he ever plays again which I think is a fair POV although I'm hoping for the best but you also have to be realistic. 
When the season began, Andy Dalton was widely considered one of the best backups in the league.  With that being said, I love Dak - think he is a great person and is my son's favorite player, but the difference in talent and play from Dak to Dalton isn't as gaping as many of you want to believe.  Dak Prescott has often times had terrible decision-making ability.  For all the weapons we have on offense, he has thrown balls behind the receivers, etc.  

I hope Dak has a speedy recovery, but I don't think he is the QB of the future for Dallas (not at the price tag he thought he deserved.)

I’m still in shock I guess. Can’t believe this happened. I don’t watch a lot of football anymore. And truth be told, I don’t really enjoy most of the games I do watch. 

My favorite players of all time are Kobe Bryant, Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, Joe Montana, Emmitt Smith and Dak Prescott. 

I stopped paying attention to basketball when Kobe retired. I did watch a good bit of the finals this year. That is not a brand of basketball that I enjoy.

Dak is the only reason I watch. When he retires I’m not sure I’ll continue to watch. 

Different situation.   Mahomes was not on a tag year.   KC extended him before his rookie deal was up.
Yeah but market is market. Mahomes didn’t have to sign that deal. He set the market. Jerry’s offers were before Mahomes set the market. One would have to think if Dak continued at this level this season without injury he would have gotten $40+M a year and more guaranteed. Bet would have paid off big time 

Why? It's not like Dak is someone's cousin here at Football Guys.  It sucks what happened to him today, and he seems like a good guy who I hope recovers and plays again, but there is no doubt that he erred in asking for too much and then not accepting Jerry's offer.  He likely cost himself a lot of money. 
This. Enough said.

Dak, the NFL QB, is average. He's been gifted weapons around him his entire career that many could only dream of. Zeke carried him his rookie season to a great record. Dak's been, as someone else alluded above, a near .500 QB since with Sub 4k passing in every season but one where he racked up passing yards against soft coverages in garbage time. He doesn't elevate anyone whatsoever.  Absolutely no one. The only success he's had was when carried by a high end RB.

I believe this will be for the best for the Cowboys for the future. Dak's not a high level QB talent and the film will show that. Anyone that's done that will tell you you're absolutely positively NUTS paying Dak Prescott elite QB money. Period. End O Story.

Yeah but market is market. Mahomes didn’t have to sign that deal. He set the market. Jerry’s offers were before Mahomes set the market. One would have to think if Dak continued at this level this season without injury he would have gotten $40+M a year and more guaranteed. Bet would have paid off big time 
Without the injury I agree but this is the NFL where injury is common. It happens, look at Alex Smith, Joe Theisman, Steve Young,  Culpepper was never the same after a bad injury. 

When you bet there is a chance you can lose that bet.  5 at 35 million per sounds pretty good right now.

Fans and media often overreact about injury impacting long term contract offers.  If his recovery goes as expected this may not cost him anything or very little. Unless he suffers nerve damage or gets a bunch of infections I really don't think this will as impactful as most are saying.

But for sure, his peace of mind right now would probably be way better had he accepted the long term deal. And on that note when he got carted off in tears I got no problem saying it hit me a little harder then that kind of thing normally would and it has to do with his battle with depression. Just knowing he's prone to depression that and that he'll be away from teammates, doing rehab which can often be lonely all the while second guessing himself and/or having fears about walking away from so much money truly concerns me for his mental well being. 
Agree that most people overreact a bit in most cases, but this was ALREADY a case where the two sides were probably under 50% to meet on a long term deal.  So I wouldn't say this situation HELPS him re-sign in Dallas by any stretch.  They already seemed reserved on giving him a huge deal, so if he's to get a huge deal post-injury, it might have to be in FA and I'm not sure any team will give him what he wants.  He can probably drop his asking price down a bit though and still get signed for a lot of money.

Agree that most people overreact a bit in most cases, but this was ALREADY a case where the two sides were probably under 50% to meet on a long term deal.  So I wouldn't say this situation HELPS him re-sign in Dallas by any stretch.  They already seemed reserved on giving him a huge deal, so if he's to get a huge deal post-injury, it might have to be in FA and I'm not sure any team will give him what he wants.  He can probably drop his asking price down a bit though and still get signed for a lot of money.
I just don't see it that way.

I don't think they were far apart on the money, more the years is what a lot of people were saying.

We got plenty of  examples of players breaking ankles and tearing ACL's in contract years and getting long term big contracts. Some that come to mind from last few years are Earl Thomas and Allen Robinson. Again as long as he recovers well I just don't think is going to be the issue it's getting played out to be and he does not not need to drop his asking price at all.

I don't think they were far apart on the money, more the years is what a lot of people were saying.

We got plenty of  examples of players breaking ankles and tearing ACL's in contract years and getting long term big contracts. Some that come to mind from last few years are Earl Thomas and Allen Robinson. Again as long as he recovers well I just don't think is going to be the issue it's getting played out to be and he does not not need to drop his asking price at all.
I think they were a lot further apart than you think.  It didn't seem like a deal was going to get done this offseason anyways.

I think they were a lot further apart than you think.  It didn't seem like a deal was going to get done this offseason anyways.
Possibly but I do live in the area and have some good sources for info. Not the kind of sources that are going to tell me something like Calvin Johnson is retiring before it breaks you know, but good sources of information.

I don't think franchise tagging him next year was going to work so was going to be Dak getting extended or walking to another teams lucrative offer. I don't think that has changed, with the again caveat of if teams like how he's recovered.

Possibly but I do live in the area and have some good sources for info. Not the kind of sources that are going to tell me something like Calvin Johnson is retiring before it breaks you know, but good sources of information.

I don't think franchise tagging him next year was going to work so was going to be Dak getting extended or walking to another teams lucrative offer. I don't think that has changed, with the again caveat of if teams like how he's recovered.
haha not sure if that was a jab or not :P  

Ya I do think another team was probably going to make him an offer unless Dallas made a decent playoff run.  Now that they may have a higher pick, and likely don't make a deep playoff run, I could see another team outbidding them for Dak... but I still don't think it's going to be AS lucrative as it would have if racked up insane stats this year like he was on pace for.

Dak is a real good person. I enjoy cheering for him but it pains me to cheer for the Cowboys. I hope he recovers and finds himself in a new uniform. He’d look great with a horseshoe on his helmet. 

I hope he recovers completely and quickly. I’ve been as critical as any on this board, but he’s a class act and a good person. 
Well said.

I've never been a huge fan and think he's overrated but there is no denying his ability, his skill, his ability to lead this team, and his accomplishments in the league so far. And absolutely seems like an upright and classy guy.

Hope he recovers with no ill effect. The league is more fun with Dak in it.

Question that I just thought of...

Does Dalton's performance ROS contribute to Dak's contract?  If Dalton lights it up and leads the Cowboys into a playoff run, or strings together a bunch of wins, does that diminish Dak's contract value either with Dallas or another team?

Does Dalton's performance ROS contribute to Dak's contract?  If Dalton lights it up and leads the Cowboys into a playoff run, or strings together a bunch of wins, does that diminish Dak's contract value either with Dallas or another team?
Depends.  Dallas has great offensive weapons and a horrible defense.  That means good numbers for the QB.   If Andy puts up big numbers it may put some doubt in JJs mind.

The thing is Dak albeit a great guy and a very solid QB has never won anything.  Most QBs who get to set the market are coming off Superbowl wins or an appearance.  Then once a team wins a Superbowl and pays their QB they are in cap hell a 1-2 years later.  KC has a 1-2 year window now then the rest of the guys want to get paid too.

Dallas has not won and if they pay Dak for 8-8 seasons they will never win.

Tough decisions to make for sure.

I doubt that I really do. I don't think teams operate with that kind of a mindset. As an example, fans aside, did Wentz value diminish when Foles won a SB? Did Brees value diminish when Teddy took them on a 5-0 run?

On the flip side if Dalton stinks up the joint, maybe he can't hide the losses on the OL like Dak,  do I think that will increase Dak's cost? I do not.

I doubt that I really do. I don't think teams operate with that kind of a mindset. As an example, fans aside, did Wentz value diminish when Foles won a SB? Did Brees value diminish when Teddy took them on a 5-0 run?

On the flip side if Dalton stinks up the joint, maybe he can't hide the losses on the OL like Dak,  do I think that will increase Dak's cost? I do not.
Just to take it to the impossible extreme, if Dalton takes them to a Super Bowl, or wins one, don't you think they move on from Dak based on him wanting to be a top 3 paid QB in the NFL?

I think Jerry is pretty desperate to win more than anyone, and if Dalton stinks it up he might throw the money at Dak.  But he may move on from him if Dalton shows that Dak was a product of the system.

Think its a bit different from the Carson situation as Foles was great in 3 games, Dalton would be good in 10+ if it plays out like that.

Deamon said:

Take it a step further.

What if Dalton lights it up and leads a playoff run, and he and his agent signal a willingness to sign a reasonable 3-4 year deal.  Jerry's got Dak on line 1 asking for $40/yr, and Dalton on line 2 asking for $20/yr (or less?).

Then what.  

Take it a step further.

What if Dalton lights it up and leads a playoff run, and he and his agent signal a willingness to sign a reasonable 3-4 year deal.  Jerry's got Dak on line 1 asking for $40/yr, and Dalton on line 2 asking for $20/yr (or less?).

Then what.  
I'm not sure.  I think Dalton would literally have to lead them to a superbowl for them to commit to him long term.

For those concerned I think Dak will be OK financially even if he never plays another down of NFL football. Dak after this year will have made around 35 million playing football for 5 years.  Endorsements and insurance policy will tack on another 50 million.   I think 85 million is a comfortable retirement if need be.

Prescott, 26, has endorsement deals with several top companies, including Campbell’s Chunky Soup, 7-Eleven, New Era caps, Sleep Number beds, Pepsi, Citi, and Oikos. Aside from those deals – many of which are in place for years to come – Prescott has taken out loss-of-value and disability insurance policies that will compensate him in the event of a career-ending injury.

Taken together, Prescott’s endorsement deals and insurance policies are worth more than $50 million, ESPN reported, citing league sources familiar with the matter.

Just to take it to the impossible extreme, if Dalton takes them to a Super Bowl, or wins one, don't you think they move on from Dak based on him wanting to be a top 3 paid QB in the NFL?

I think Jerry is pretty desperate to win more than anyone, and if Dalton stinks it up he might throw the money at Dak.  But he may move on from him if Dalton shows that Dak was a product of the system.

Think its a bit different from the Carson situation as Foles was great in 3 games, Dalton would be good in 10+ if it plays out like that.
Dalton is serviceable, and they keep him, let Dak walk..... and then invest in the defense, and O line.....if Jerry is honest with himself, he can plainly see that with the defense as is, they ain't winning squat.

All that said, I have zero idea about how they sit with salary cap stuff on any of the potential scenarios.......I kinda draw the line at dissecting that crap.

Users who are viewing this thread