Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official*** Dak Prescott Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These posts are in very poor taste in this moment.

Kirk Cousins made a lot of money betting on himself and playing under the franchise tag for a couple years.  I think $35 million will look underpaid for an elite QB in three years. And even if othe

When has he been a loser?  History tells a different story.  I seriously don't get the hate for this guy.  He's not elite, but he's far from a loser.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:13 PM, Deamon said:

Just to take it to the impossible extreme, if Dalton takes them to a Super Bowl, or wins one, don't you think they move on from Dak based on him wanting to be a top 3 paid QB in the NFL?

I think Jerry is pretty desperate to win more than anyone, and if Dalton stinks it up he might throw the money at Dak.  But he may move on from him if Dalton shows that Dak was a product of the system.

Think its a bit different from the Carson situation as Foles was great in 3 games, Dalton would be good in 10+ if it plays out like that.

Dalton is serviceable, and they keep him, let Dak walk..... and then invest in the defense, and O line.....if Jerry is honest with himself, he can plainly see that with the defense as is, they ain't winning squat.

All that said, I have zero idea about how they sit with salary cap stuff on any of the potential scenarios.......I kinda draw the line at dissecting that crap.

Edited by Manster
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Cowboys will make a push to sign QB Dak Prescott to a long-term deal or else they'll franchise tag him once again.

After being unable to come to an agreement last offseason, the Cowboys chose to hit Prescott with the franchise tag for 2020. The deadline for the Prescott to sign a long-term deal this year is March 9th. Prescott reportedly turned down a $33-$35 million per year deal that included $100 million in guaranteed money. Pelissero added that the Cowboys pushing to sign him is an indicator that his gruesome ankle injury won't be a problem. Prescott led the NFL in passing yards per game at 371.2 before suffering the injury. He also averaged 8.4 yards per attempt. That means he likely played himself into an even bigger deal if the salary cap isn't cut drastically. Franchise tag or long-term contract, Prescott will be playing for Dallas in 2021.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Feb 7, 2021, 9:07 AM ET

• 2 weeks later...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys want to extend impending free agent Dak Prescott "now." 

Per Rapsheet, the Cowboys are "confident enough in Prescott's rehab to do a big-time, long-term deal now." The Cowboys may want the deal now, but even as he rehabs his gruesome injury, Prescott holds all the leverage. He can play 2021 out with a fully guaranteed $37.7 million under his second consecutive franchise tag. Prescott's camp knows the Cowboys desperately need to get that number down. The window to apply the tag is now open, with the deadline coming March 9.  

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Feb 23, 2021, 1:43 PM ET

2 minutes ago, Faust said:

Prescott holds all the leverage. He can play 2021 out with a fully guaranteed $37.7 million under his second consecutive franchise tag.

This part of their blurb is 100% accurate but in last week I still see people who think Dak gambled and lost and/or Dallas won by Dak not accepting their extension prior to the 2020 season. 

Dak gambled and provided his ankle heals and no horrific career ending injury occurs he won and won big. If you think if he played poorly in 2021 he'd lose on what Dallas was offering I'd bring up exhibit A, let's call it Carson Wentz. Keeping in mind whatever guarantees he turned down in the earlier extension by this point he'd have seen $68M. 

Dallas is now in a position of paying Dak $37M and watching him hit UFA next year as possibly the most coveted young QB to ever hit the open market or reaching a long term deal with him when he holds all the leverage. That's the position they put themselves in by not extending him last year.  Saying that I don't blame Dallas like I see a lot of people do for putting themselves in this position, you can walk a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

There is world that exists where Dak's play would decline so much that Dallas will win by him not having accepted their earlier extension. I won't argue against that, but this is not how Dallas wanted this to play out so far. For Dak, even with tearing up his ankle, he's were he wants to be.

BTW if what this guy is saying is true, and I don't think it is but he is the guy who broke the story on Dak getting a second surgery and is a sports radio host in Dallas, then  almost everything I wrote in the post above will be proven as wrong.

@MikeBacsik “I think there’s a possibility they release Dak Prescott in June...I know something that nobody else knows & it’s very tough to keep my mouth shut on this...I’m just telling you, I know something & the Cowboys know it to & Dak knows it to.

Ugh.

What really sucks is that the Cowboys, for a minute there we were drafting great and drafting the right type of players, read offensive and defensive lineman, linebackers in corners.

Now that they’ve messed up made everything Dak friendly, he went out put up a bunch of points in a bunch of yards and now the whole thing is upside down. 

Now Dak wants elite money and deserves it based on his play. This will cripple the team and they need to show him all the players that will be playing for different teams because he wants top dollar. 

Cowboys should walk this through with Dak and see if they’re OK with struggling  while they rebuild once his contract is a few years down the road. 

Depending on how that looks- might be best to trade Dak. 

4 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Ugh.

What really sucks is that the Cowboys, for a minute there we were drafting great and drafting the right type of players, read offensive and defensive lineman, linebackers in corners.

Now that they’ve messed up made everything Dak friendly, he went out put up a bunch of points in a bunch of yards and now the whole thing is upside down. 

Now Dak wants elite money and deserves it based on his play. This will cripple the team and they need to show him all the players that will be playing for different teams because he wants top dollar. 

Cowboys should walk this through with Dak and see if they’re OK with struggling  while they rebuild once his contract is a few years down the road. 

Depending on how that looks- might be best to trade Dak. 

Can’t trade a free agent 

I have trouble understanding why one player wants literally everything the team has even though it will end up crippling the ability of the team to remain competitive. I mean, at some point, the price has to become cost prohibitive no matter how good the player may be doesn't it?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I have trouble understanding why one player wants literally everything the team has even though it will end up crippling the ability of the team to remain competitive. I mean, at some point, the price has to become cost prohibitive no matter how good the player may be doesn't it?

Do you believe in capitalism?  If so, then there's your answer.  Not everyone can marry someone who makes more money than them like Brady.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Its not literally everything but your point still rings true. Im Daks biggest fan but it makes the most sense for the Cowboys to move on from him at this point.

I think I already said this but...Sad to say...

Trade Dak and another offensive player you dont need.

Draft Mac Jones and go OL/Defense indefinitely. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Capitalism has nothing to do with this and belongs in another thread and  eventually to the political forum.

It has everything to do with this.  I'll drop it there.  Not being political at all.  Dak wants to be paid his worth.  Some might not agree he's worth that, and that's their opinion......but it's nothing more than their opinion.