What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dak Prescott, DAL (4 Viewers)

Cowboys placed franchise tag on QB Dak Prescott.

The tag is expected to be worth about $33 million. The Cowboys have until July 15 to sign Prescott to a multiyear contract before the start of the 2020 season. Reports indicated that the Cowboys' final long-term offer to Prescott was larger than Jared Goff's four-year extension with the Rams worth $134 million with roughly $57 million guaranteed. NFL Network's Jane Slater added the Cowboys felt good about their latest offer, but Prescott's agent Todd France sent back another proposal and as of late last night, "all was quiet." It does appear the two sides truly did try to come to a long-term agreement. Prescott will be playing for the Cowboys in 2020 and likely beyond. It just remains to be seen how much money it will be for.

SOURCE: Jane Slater on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 10:26 AM ET

It was the right decision considering the circumstances. 
I think this is a bit of a mess. I think Dak’s camp knows the cap is going to go up and that’s why they want a shorter deal or may be happy to ride out this one year franchise offer. Cowboys have just set the floor at whatever the cap hit is this year AND next years number. I don’t remember how it escalates but I know it does and exponentially more the follow years. 

On the flip side, what Dak and most guys don’t get is you make so much more money by winning games. If you win a SB you never pay for a meal again. Playing QB for Dallas albeit coming with its own negatives (pressure/expectations), the endorsements are unlike anywhere else in sports. 

The whole thing is touch and go. A lot of other guys to sign too. 

Better the franchise tag than commit long-term right now. It's not like he's been a world-beater.

Dak may very well turn out to be worth a bunch of money, but this way, we get to see him another season (which is the safe route).

BTW, LOL at Aikman, Snoop, & other celebs complaining about Dak not getting paid. He IS getting paid.

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Cowboys have "resumed" contract negotiations with Dak Prescott.

Negotiations with Prescott should have never stopped, but the Cowboys opted to place the exclusive rights franchise tag on Prescott ahead of free agency and are now tasked with signing him to a long-term contract. That process should begin as soon as possible before Prescott starts taking offense to Dallas ironing out deals with Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper, and others. Prescott deserves around $35 million annually in today's quarterback market. Last season, Prescott averaged 8.2 yards per pass attempt and picked up an additional 17.3 rushing yards per game.

SOURCE: Ed Werder on Twitter

Mar 25, 2020, 7:05 PM ET

I don't think Dallas is having an issue giving him $35M. Kind of the opposite. They want to give it to him for 5 years but Dak only wants to be signed for 4. Had heard several weeks ago that was main holdup in the talks, not so much what Dallas wanted to pay him but how long Dak wanted to be locked up in anticipation of cap going in a few years.

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports Cowboys QB Dak Prescott won't participate in the team's virtual offseason without a long-term deal.

The league's recently announced virtual offseason program is entirely voluntary, so it only makes sense Prescott avoid it without any long-term deal in place. The ultimate deadline remains July 15, which is the last day a franchise-tagged player can put pen to paper on a multi-year contract. Both sides are still expected to reach an agreement on a market-setting deal prior to the clock running out.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

Apr 14, 2020, 9:50 AM ET

"To set the record straight -- I know that we all need to do our best to socially distance and like everyone else, I am continuing to adjust to what that requires, but the truth is that I was with fewer than 10 people for a home dinner -- not a party -- on Friday night.

"I am very sensitive to the challenges we are all facing and making sure to support the first responders and medical personnel and everyone else putting in long hours. We are all at a time when we need to keep educating ourselves about the importance of health and isolation during this pandemic and I will continue to make sure to do my part by following the guidelines until we are approved to start returning to normal activities."

Honestly? What a complete and utter moron and what a ridiculous statement. 

While the guidance had been variable prior to the 31st of March, Texas has since April 1 enacted a state-wide stay at home edict. This gathering was not only a monumentally stupid idea, but how Dak can both claim he appreciates the need for social distancing and doing what's required to adjust and do his part by following guidelines, and then specifically break those guidelines, is utter cowpie (to use the parlance of the areas).

Dak -- you not only deserve all the scrutiny this ill advised party gained you, but you deserve even more for this lame, insincere, and useless deflection attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dak is so full of it.  All this is going to do is make TMZ dig every deeper to prove their info was correct.

Despite his obvious flaws, being a good decision maker was one of Dak's biggest positives, but I am not sure that can be said anymore.  And remember that it was like a week or so earlier when he was photographed with a handful of other NFL players who were all working together and doing this big group hug.  Not sure if a little success and the prospect of a big contract has gone to his head, but these are major red flags.  A franchise QB and the face of the team has to be smarter than this.

2020 NFL Draft: Dak Prescott, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Austin Ekeler among biggest Fantasy winners coming out

Excerpt:

QB Winners 

Dak Prescott

Prescott took a big step forward with the addition of Cooper midway through the 2018 season, and carried it over into a career year in 2019. Regression seems less likely after the draft because the Cowboys shockingly took CeeDee Lamb, arguably the most talented receiver in the draft. Between Cooper, Michael Gallup and Lamb, Prescott arguably has the best receiving corps in the game. The play-action-heavy, vertical passing game Kellen Moore installed last season is still in place, and with the talent around him, Prescott figures to keep on rolling. He should be the consensus No. 3 QB in Fantasy, behind only Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson.

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones said Dak Prescott's long-term extension will "ultimately get done."

“Obviously, it has no bearing on Dak," Jones said about Andy Dalton's signing in an interview with 105.3 The Fan. "Dak is the quarterback of our franchise now, and for many years to come. We’ve gotta get his contract —  we’ve gotta get over that hurdle. But we’ll do it, it’ll ultimately get done.” Deadlines have historically made deals in Dallas, and Prescott clearly isn't in a rush to sign his franchise tag since the two sides have until the July 15 deadline to negotiate a long-term extension. As known all along, 32-year-old Dalton is merely glass to break in case of emergency. Expect Prescott's eventual deal to reset the market (before Patrick Mahomes' resets it again).

RELATED: 

Andy Dalton

SOURCE: Ed Werder on Twitter

May 6, 2020, 4:55 PM ET

as shannon sharpe so eliquently put it... "show us the guaranteed (money)"

dallas keeps talking 30+m/yr, but what's guaranteed? 

matuski said:
You can truly make numbers say anything.
I wouldn't say this is really "making" numbers say anything. It's just simple division:

Free agent Dak Prescott is the best vertical passer in the NFL. He went 67/108 on throws deeper than 15 yards and 36/60 on throws deeper than 20 yards. 62% and 60%

I wouldn't say this is really "making" numbers say anything. It's just simple division:

Free agent Dak Prescott is the best vertical passer in the NFL. He went 67/108 on throws deeper than 15 yards and 36/60 on throws deeper than 20 yards. 62% and 60%
The numbers are the numbers.

You are making the numbers say "the best".

I strongly disagree that he is the best at any type of passing.  He just isn't.

The numbers are the numbers.

You are making the numbers say "the best".

I strongly disagree that he is the best at any type of passing.  He just isn't.
I haven't run comparisons myself but I would assume the that the author has and Dak has the highest completion percentage on throws of 15+ and 20+ years. What other criteria would you use to define the best deep/vertical passer?

This seems pretty cut and dry. It's not arguing some vague concept like "best at pre-snap reads" or "best pocket presence." It's a quantifiable metric.

I haven't run comparisons myself but I would assume the that the author has and Dak has the highest completion percentage on throws of 15+ and 20+ years. What other criteria would you use to define the best deep/vertical passer?

This seems pretty cut and dry. It's not arguing some vague concept like "best at pre-snap reads" or "best pocket presence." It's a quantifiable metric.
How open were the receivers?

Is Dak what the defenses are afraid of?

1000000 variables beyond stats that would be in the criteria.

I bet Garappolo deep ball stats can be made to look good too.  For the exact same reasons.
His receiving corp also either led the league or was top 3 in dropped passes. Somebody help me find out, I tried looking and can’t find the article that said so. 

I’m not gonna sit here and tell you that Dak is the most accurate quarterback in the league because he isn’t. But just like Tony Romo faced unfair criticism, the length that people go to to knock this guy down is bizarre. Anytime anybody has anything nice to say about the kid people clamor and jubilantly disagree. It’s bizarre.

Youre a prime example of this. I don’t read a lot of non-cowboys related threads in the shark pool so excuse me if I’m wrong, but do you go into other QB  threads for the sole purpose of knocking them down? 

His receiving corp also either led the league or was top 3 in dropped passes. Somebody help me find out, I tried looking and can’t find the article that said so. 

I’m not gonna sit here and tell you that Dak is the most accurate quarterback in the league because he isn’t. But just like Tony Romo faced unfair criticism, the length that people go to to knock this guy down is bizarre. Anytime anybody has anything nice to say about the kid people clamor and jubilantly disagree. It’s bizarre.

Youre a prime example of this. I don’t read a lot of non-cowboys related threads in the shark pool so excuse me if I’m wrong, but do you go into other QB  threads for the sole purpose of knocking them down? 
I simply said he isn't the best passer (any kind of passing) no matter what numbers say.  He isn't the best deep ball or most accurate passer in the league...

We seem to agree?  Are you also knocking him down?

eta - and yes - I do put my 2 cents in when I see posts/threads I disagree with.  Mariota for example.  Sammy Watkins for years.  Or I can be contrarian in the other direction, Tannehill for example.  You seem to take it personally, you shouldnt.  :shrug:

At what? Being terrified behind center?
At playing QB.   Dak is great at putting up big numbers against bad teams, but he comes up short way too often against the good teams.

But hey, here is a fun fact: in the last three seasons, the 49ers were 19-5 in the regular season when Jimmy G started the game at QB; they were 4-20 when anyone else started at QB.

I am not saying Jimmy G is elite, but he is very good, and very valuable to his team.  And he is better than Dak.

At playing QB.   Dak is great at putting up big numbers against bad teams, but he comes up short way too often against the good teams.

But hey, here is a fun fact: in the last three seasons, the 49ers were 19-5 in the regular season when Jimmy G started the game at QB; they were 4-20 when anyone else started at QB.

I am not saying Jimmy G is elite, but he is very good, and very valuable to his team.  And he is better than Dak.
He’s horrific under pressure. How did he perform in the playoffs? 

I simply said he isn't the best passer (any kind of passing) no matter what numbers say.  He isn't the best deep ball or most accurate passer in the league...

We seem to agree?  Are you also knocking him down?

eta - and yes - I do put my 2 cents in when I see posts/threads I disagree with.  Mariota for example.  Sammy Watkins for years.  Or I can be contrarian in the other direction, Tannehill for example.  You seem to take it personally, you shouldnt.  :shrug:
Not personal at all. I already said and apologized in advance if you take time out of your day to crap on other QBs. 

Just seems odd to constantly say the same things about Dak. Don’t you think you’ve made your point clear at this point? We’re all aware you think he isn’t very good. 

It’s cool, have at it. I was just curious to the rational behind it. 

Not personal at all. I already said and apologized in advance if you take time out of your day to crap on other QBs. 

Just seems odd to constantly say the same things about Dak. Don’t you think you’ve made your point clear at this point? We’re all aware you think he isn’t very good. 

It’s cool, have at it. I was just curious to the rational behind it. 
You don't actually seem cool with it at all.

Speaking of odd, you have also been consistent in having some sort of personal investment in Dak.  To the point where you make these weird attempts to insult someone over their opinion of a football player.  

To be clear, I have been consistent on Dak as a player.

He is 1-3 passes a game away from being really good.  Turn those 1-3 god awful (can't tell what his target was) passes each game into completions, and we are talking about a different player.

The Cowboys lead the league in offense last season. They were also 2nd in passing yards with Cooper dinged much of the season.

Here's some breaking news...

From what we know right now (as of today), Dak is one of the better QBs in the league. That certainly means he's one of the better passers in the league.

We can discuss how he compares to other top QBs, but the statements above aren't debatable & they're not negotiable.

How did Dak?  Oh, right, despite having a stacked team on offense, he couldn't get his team past an Eagles team that was wrecked with injuries in order to win the NFC East.
Way to avoid the question but I’ll play along. Dak’s shoulder was wrecked and The clapper thought it would be wise to have him throw the ball 44 times and only let Zeke carry the ball 15 times. To top that off, we ran the most vanilla defense in the league because in the words of Red Jesus, “We do what we do”. 

I mean I guess they at least thought Dak was a competent enough passer to throw more than single digit attempts in most games so that’s a positive. 

So now that we’ve established that Dak didn’t crap his pants please defend your boy for crapping his. 

You don't actually seem cool with it at all.

Speaking of odd, you have also been consistent in having some sort of personal investment in Dak.  To the point where you make these weird attempts to insult someone over their opinion of a football player.  

He is 1-3 passes a game away from being really good.  Turn those 1-3 god awful (can't tell what his target was) passes each game into completions, and we are talking about a different player.
Yes, you have been clear. Repeatedly. If and when I have time I’ll go back through the thread and quote all your posts which amount to the exact same post ad nauseam. 

As far as you reading into things about this being personal, I prefaced my last two posts apologizing in advance so you wouldn’t think it’s personal but yet here we are. I can only do so much to coddle your insecurities. 

Yes, you have been clear. Repeatedly. If and when I have time I’ll go back through the thread and quote all your posts which amount to the exact same post ad nauseam. 

As far as you reading into things about this being personal, I prefaced my last two posts apologizing in advance so you wouldn’t think it’s personal but yet here we are. I can only do so much to coddle your insecurities. 
I am assuming you are a grown man.

Dak isn't as good as you want him to be.... and that isn't my fault.  Get over it.

The whining isn't a good look.

The Cowboys lead the league in offense last season. They were also 2nd in passing yards with Cooper dinged much of the season.

Here's some breaking news...

From what we know right now (as of today), Dak is one of the better QBs in the league. That certainly means he's one of the better passers in the league.

We can discuss how he compares to other top QBs, but the statements above aren't debatable & they're not negotiable.
I absolutely debate that he is one of the better passers in the league.  Teams going against Dallas want to put the ball in Dak's hands.  You don't do that against the best passers in the league.  

Fantasy football? Top 5. 

Real life passer?  Middle of the pack.  He is a solid QB, but he isn't a "franchise" QB... the Cowboys are not built around Dak.  Not yet.  If they pay him $40m a year?  That Oline and running game is going away... he better become a great passer.

I am assuming you are a grown man.

Dak isn't as good as you want him to be.... and that isn't my fault.  Get over it.

The whining isn't a good look.
I haven't whined once. I didn’t insult you once. 

I asked you why you post the exact same thing over and over and over and apparently you're sensitive and that’s not my fault. 

I also will post my opinion on a player or post if I disagree. Except I’ll make my post once, no continue the same Zacatecas narrative over the course of YEARS as you have done in this thread. 

It doesn’t make me upset, it bores me. 

I honestly don’t have anything against you and more often than not I actually agree with you - even in your criticism of Dak. 

This is a completely fair and accurate account of Prescott. What’s confusing to me is how this his different than any other quarterback? Literally every single quarterback in the league has 1-3 or even 5-10 throws a game that are off. There are a lot of variables to that; recover read the defense wrong and ran the wrong route, pressure, etc.. 

What different is that whoever wears the Star on the their helmet seems to be held to some higher standard and I think we know the reason. 

Dak has improved every year, even his second year he was better at so things dispose his numbers declining from his rookie year. 

Have a good evening man. No hard feelings. 

Please stop man.

Mods please for the love of all of it.. remove these posts.  Mine too.  

Get back to Dak.

I'm not a Cowboys fan FTR.......this post is far from accurate.  Jimmy has never had to carry that offense.  He's had a few good games, but the niners success has everything to do with that D and an outstanding running game.

I absolutely debate that he is one of the better passers in the league.  Teams going against Dallas want to put the ball in Dak's hands.  You don't do that against the best passers in the league.  

Fantasy football? Top 5. 

Real life passer?  Middle of the pack.  He is a solid QB, but he isn't a "franchise" QB... the Cowboys are not built around Dak.  Not yet.
You're taking a real outlier position on Dak. You can certainly do that, but nothing suggests you're right.

There's all kinds of metrics that suggest Dak is one of the better passers in the league, not to mention raw stats. My eyeballs tell me he's among the best, as well. Is he great? I wouldn't say that. In fact, I'd say no.

You seem to be grading Dak on some obscure stuff. Sounds like he could be the top passer in the league (he was real close last season) & you still wouldn't give up your stance. What does he have to do?

At some point, you simply have to change your opinion.

Dak is a great fantasy QB but not a great NFL QB... 
Agreed. He isn’t great. He’s an ascending player who came into the league very raw and had the single best rookie season in the history of the NFL and has improved his game each and every single year despite some of the worst coaching in the league. 

I haven’t seen one person say he is elite or great but I have read tons of negative hyperbole. It’s either hate or hyperbole, cause it isn’t reality. 

You're taking a real outlier position on Dak. You can certainly do that, but nothing suggests you're right.

There's all kinds of metrics that suggest Dak is one of the better passers in the league, not to mention raw stats. My eyeballs tell me he's among the best, as well. Is he great? I wouldn't say that. In fact, I'd say no.

You seem to be grading Dak on some obscure stuff. Sounds like he could be the top passer in the league (he was real close last season) & you still wouldn't give up your position. What does he have to do?

At some point, you simply have to change your stance.
So your eyeballs tell you he is among the best but not great.... aren't the best the great ones?

Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brees, Stafford, Brady, Ben - he isn't in this tier of passers right?  These guys carry their teams.

So then we get to Watson, Ryan, Goff, Wentz, Garoppolo, Baker, Cousins - I could see you putting him here?  I could even buy this argument, but as a passer I would put him bottom half of this tier.  

My eyeballs tell me he isn't among the best.  My eyeballs tell me his team doesn't look to him to even be the best player on his own offense.

What does he have to do?  Again - those couple few passes a game that he misses and misses badly.  The ones that kill big drives.  Turn those into completions.  Then we can start moving him into the conversation with the other actually great passers in the league.  Get to a place where Dak is the goto for the team's offense.  My position would gladly change.

Agreed. He isn’t great. 

I haven’t seen one person say he is elite or great but I have read tons of negative hyperbole. It’s either hate or hyperbole, cause it isn’t reality. 

Dak is the best vertical passer in the NFL,

eta - which is where I spoke up in disagreement.

All that and in the end, you agree with me.

So your eyeballs tell you he is among the best but not great.... aren't the best the great ones?

Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brees, Stafford, Brady, Ben - he isn't in this tier of passers right?  These guys carry their teams.

So then we get to Watson, Ryan, Goff, Wentz, Garoppolo, Baker, Cousins - I could see you putting him here?  I could even buy this argument, but as a passer I would put him bottom half of this tier.  

My eyeballs tell me he isn't among the best as well.  My eyeballs tell me his team doesn't look to him to even be the best player on his own offense.

What does he have to do?  Again - those couple few passes a game that he misses and misses badly.  The ones that kill big drives.  Turn those into completions.  Then we can start moving him into the conversation with the other actually great passers in the league.  Get to a place where Dak is the goto for the team's offense.  My position would gladly change.
Dak has to be GREAT to be among the best QBs/passers in the NFL right now? Haha. "Great" should be reserved for the very best to ever play the game (he just might get there, though).

Bottom line, when I hear somebody tell me Jimmy G is better than Dak, my spidey sense starts going off.

Here's what I'm going to tell you. You know as well as I do, you'll never type the words, "Dak is one of the best passers in the league". I can even tell you why. 

Do you want to know?

Dak has to be a great QB to be among the best QBs/passers in the NFL? Haha. Great should be reserved for the very best to ever play the game (he just might get there).

Bottom line, when I hear somebody tell me Jimmy G is better than Dak, my spidey sense wakes up.

Here's what I'm going to tell you. You know as well as I do, you'll never type the words, "Dak is one of the best passers in the league". I can even tell you why. 

Do you want to know?
Now we are getting to a reasonable place... you want to rank Dak ahead of Jimmy G?  Cool.. That is a good place for him in the rankings.  I wasn't the one that said JG was better, but lets go ahead and work with this:

Like Jimmy G, Dak isn't even the focal point of his own offense.

Dak will never be one of the better passers in the league.  He can become one of the best QBs in the league... but he simply doesn't have the arm talent of Mahomes and company, or the command/precision/anticipation of a Rodgers etc, to be in that place as a passer. 

This isn't an insult, Lamar Jackson will also never be a great passer - obviously won't prevent him from being a great QB.

Users who are viewing this thread