What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Phife Dawg (1 Viewer)

I'll never forget when I first heard this song. Made me fall in love with rap

Wow. Just nothing I can say but wow. My nephew sings that song and has no idea where it came from. 

It's not a get off my lawn moment, it's just a stunner. We don't realize the age we bring.  

RIP Phife. Midnight Mauraders was an essential album of the '90s. Classic. Never forget the show you all did at our school. 

It was just another case of that PTA, if we want Native Tongue.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the day before the internet existed, I used to sit by the radio and tape songs when they came on the radio on Hot 97. I'll never forget when this song first came out they said it was coming on after the next commercial break and my mom was driving us home somewhere and I begged her to drive fast so I can tape it. Came out in 1992 when I was 14 years old.

:(

from what I saw on a recent tribe documentary he has always been battling health issues

Back in the day before the internet existed, I used to sit by the radio and tape songs when they came on the radio on Hot 97. I'll never forget when this song first came out they said it was coming on after the next commercial break and my mom was driving us home somewhere and I begged her to drive fast so I can tape it. Came out in 1992 when I was 14 years old.
Yep. Favorite song of my freshman year in college. Midnight came out sophomore year. Classics, back to back. Loved the alliance with NT and then West Coast with Hieroglyphics and Pharcyde. 

But forget that ####. Just so many good memories listening to Low End and Midnight.  

Sunday night on Hot 97 was when you got the good ####. 

I'll never forget seeing them at The Tibetan Freedom Concert. What a great show. I'm going to dust off some old CDs today.

RIP to the funky diabetic. ?

"We all love Phife. We love Phife because he was one of us. Of the whole Native Tongue crew and its descendants he was the only one who was really like us. Not as charismatic and enigmatic as Q-Tip. Not as weird as Pos and Dave. Not as cool as Afrika and Mike. Not wild like Busta. He couldn’t sing like Yasiin. Wasn’t as deep as Kweli. Women didn’t fall at his feet like Common. He was like us, and that’s why we love him." RIP Funky Diabetic

Control the mic like Denzel on the girls
Wack MCs be on the nuts like Rocky J. Squirrel
The worst thing in the world is a sucka MC
Favorite rap group in the world is EPMD
Can't forget the DeLa, the two originality
And if I ever went solo my favorite MC would be ME! 
PhifeDawg up in the house I give a shout out to snoopy
Peace to all the Questers, to hell with the groupies
Like uh...
Ralph up to Potsie
Brooklyn to Dodger
Laverne to Shirley 
Rerun to Roger
Ren to the Stimpy
Laurel to Hardy
Q-tip and Phifer, they mash up the party
Kick the rhymes and more rhymes, Kick the beats and more beats
We'll have you scratchin on your head, like Shaheed on Technics
For those who wanna oppose, just take a stand
But for now just shut your #### and clap your hands

1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

The video is still awesome

RIP Phife. :(

Don't think I ever realized there was a young redmann in this video. 

Last edited by a moderator:
"You wanna diss the Phifer but you still don't know the half..."

Still have his stuff all over my playlists, will be different to listen to now.  R.I.P.

Grew up (til I was 15...moved in 91) in a Lilly white small Wisconsin town.  Local college radio station had 2 hours of rap on Sunday nights.  Would tape as much of it as I could and then listen the next day...then dubbing the sings I wanted to another tape.

Good times.

RIP Five Foot Freak

Let me hit it from the back girl

I won't catch a hernia

Bust off on your couch

Now you got Seaman's Furniture

Wow, had no idea until I saw this thread.  Always liked him way more than Tip.  His verse from Award Tour is still one of my favourites ever.  Now we have no one to eat booty MCs like cheese grits.

microphone check one two what is this

the five foot assassin with the ruffneck business

i float like gravity never had a cavity

got more rhymes than the Winans got family

They're giving him a tribute on Backspin. Mr. Cee called in and made an interesting point that I never realize before.  Phife kind of started the trend of rappers wearing sports jerseys.  I tried, but couldn't think of anyone before him that did the same.

The Scenario video seemed futuristic in its day. Back then I used to buy VHS tapes whenever I had some extra cash so I could record videos.  I remember watching MTV all day waiting for them to play that video so I could record it.  I still have those tapes.

They're giving him a tribute on Backspin. Mr. Cee called in and made an interesting point that I never realize before.  Phife kind of started the trend of rappers wearing sports jerseys.  I tried, but couldn't think of anyone before him that did the same.
The All Out Show was making the point how he was the first (or one of the first) to rap about sports. 

And how he'd poke fun at himself, which was rare for a rapper to do at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread