What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Hunter Henry, NE (2 Viewers)

He was “sick” for 2 days before being placed on COVID-reserve list.  I’d assume he tested positive.

In my situation, I have to decide today as my backup TE plays today.  Cant afford to hope he was just a close contact & will be cleared to play.

The Athletic's Sheil Kapadia believes Hunter Henry could get $10.5 million a year in free agency. 

Kapadia said Austin Hooper's 2020 deal with Cleveland could be a fair comp for what Henry might fetch on the open market. Henry, 26, was franchise tagged last year. Henry, who averaged more fantasy points last season than all but nine tight ends, could see significant interest from teams who see him as a matchup nightmare against slower linebackers and smaller safeties. Ex-XFLer and touchdown machine Donald Parham could get a real shot at the Chargers' starting tight end job if Henry signs elsewhere this offseason. 

RELATED: 

Donald Parham

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 27, 2021, 4:29 PM ET

ESPN's Michael DiRocco said the Jaguars should "be aggressive in pursuing" Hunter Henry this offseason. 

Jacksonville had one of the league's worst tight end groups in 2020. Tyler Eifert is expected to leave via free agency, leaving the team without a viable starting tight end. Henry, 26, should see interest from several teams once free agency kicks off in a couple weeks. If Henry can stay healthy for 16 games -- a big if -- he could be a coveted fantasy option in the Jaguars' Trevor Lawrence-led offense. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Mar 2, 2021, 10:18 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Chargers won't use the franchise tag on Hunter Henry. 

The team's apparent disinterest in using the tag on Henry -- or working out a longer term deal with the tight end -- has been curious, bordering on unexplainable. Henry should have several suitors in free agency, including Buffalo, Jacksonville, and Washington. The Bills are reportedly "intent" on upgrading at tight end this offseason and the Jaguars have the most cap space in the league. It will be tough for Henry, who commanded the seventh most targets among tight ends last year despite missing two games, to find a better fantasy-related spot than with Justin Herbert in LA. Henry's departure leaves intriguing prospect Donald Parham atop the Bolts' tight end depth chart.

- Adam Schefter, Twitter

When I read his comments in this article was when I first started to think he'd be leaving. When a player who can be franchised is openly talking about having liked his time there and not ruling out staying he's probably leaving. SOP is to say you love it here, want to finish your career with team that drafted you, yada, yada ,yada.

So it has seemed to be that Henry wanted to hit UFA and I'll be curious to see if it's related to money or role, just hard to think he'd be in such a rush to leave Herbert. But he was far less efficient on a per target basis with Herbert then with Rivers.

Patriots signed Hunter Henry to a three-year, $37.5 million contract. 

Henry's deal includes $25 million guaranteed. The Patriots have now landed both of free agency's top tight ends in Henry and Jonnu Smith, who on Monday signed a four-year, $50 million deal with New England. There will be loose talk of the Patriots trying to revive the team's Rob Gronkowski-Aaron Hernandez offense from years ago. There is a slight difference between career prime Tom Brady and late-career Cam Newton. The Henry signing all but ensures neither tight end will be a startable fantasy option in 10 and 12-team leagues this season in New England's run-heavy, Cam-led offense. 

RELATED: 

Jonnu Smith

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 16, 2021, 10:03 AM ET

Pretty much a worst case scenario.  Anyone feel differently?  I feel like he just went from around a 5-10 ranking to outside of the top 12, maybe even top 15.  

Pretty much a worst case scenario.  Anyone feel differently?  I feel like he just went from around a 5-10 ranking to outside of the top 12, maybe even top 15.  
Yeah, it's really a bad situation IMO. Like I said in the Jets thread about Jonnu, what are they going to do, walk down the field and hand him the ball?

Oh yeah. Guess who's got 2 thumbs and a TE room of Jonnu and Henry. BB, and this guy!

Unrelated, is 4 too high for Pitts?

They're going to cannibalize each other. Even if the MOVE TE role has value... both of them have played the MOVE TE in their previous teams. It's going to be a weekly guessing game which guy will capitalize.

Pretty much a worst case scenario.  Anyone feel differently?
No.

You hope for 2 main things when you got a FA player you want to land well.

Good fantasy landing spot obviously to get solid usage with good offense. Not looking good.

Get well paid, which is a sign of commitment which can often be a sign of usage. I've not seen a breakdown of numbers so this might change for me but right now it sure seems like he took less then Jonnu.

Don’t mind this from a fantasy perspective. He only had four games north of 50 yards last season. Pats don’t have any WRs worth a damn, they know how to use TEs, QB is the biggest question. 

Don’t mind this from a fantasy perspective. He only had four games north of 50 yards last season. Pats don’t have any WRs worth a damn, they know how to use TEs, QB is the biggest question. 
Do they?  I mean they were able to use a TE that is likely the best that ever played in conjunction with another that was a mismatch while having the GOAT QB getting them the ball.  Besides that when have they shown they know how to use TE's?

This news would be far more interesting if Brady was the QB. 

But without a whole lot of receiving weapons Henry might still be valuable. Not as valuable as being paired with a bright young talent at QB in SD, but not a total value killer. 

#RIP your dynasty team. If someone buying, you should probably be selling. 

Jonnu = Gronk

Henry = Hernandez

Heavy run game with TEs running up both seams.
When that was effective the Pats had

1. an OL (remember those Visa 7 “layers of protection” commercials? Yeah, that’s not this OL. Not remotely close

2. Wide receivers who could take coverage away, leaving Gronk & the gang banger open.

3. An effective running game & James White as an elite target. From the sounds if things, white won’t be back. 

4. oh yeah - a HOF QB in his prime who loved throwing to TEs. 

Which leaves a whole lot of questions in my mind about how effective this offense will be. 

SeniorVBDStudent said:
Jonnu = Gronk

Henry = Hernandez

Heavy run game with TEs running up both seams.
I don't agree, but you've got cajones.  However, I think this is more for a reaction than you actually believing it.

I've not seen a breakdown of numbers so this might change for me but right now it sure seems like he took less then Jonnu.
He did not take less then Jonnu, based on numbers I just saw Henry will do a little better first 3 years of his deal then Jonnu and IMO not getting that 4th year that Jonnu did was also better for Henry.

Also I read yesterday the Giants were in on Henry. Phew. Cam can't throw anymore but once they get a QB I can at least trust NE to know how to utilize Henry, that trust did not exist with an offense run by Garrett.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree, but you've got cajones.  However, I think this is more for a reaction than you actually believing it.
Lets discuss.

The Pats finished 7-9 last year.  Larry Izzo had 199 yards receiving as the top TE.  I'm aware the everything is black white shark pool community wants to assess the current situation as "Cam is Toast.  /thread" but if NE's coaching staff doesn't agree with this assessment I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.  

In the could-be-something, could-be-nothing category, Hunter Henry injured his shoulder in practice yesterday and left mid-practice yesterday.

Per Mike Reiss: "Patriots TE Hunter Henry injured his shoulder in Sunday's practice, and is having an MRI, per a source. While initial indications are that the injury doesn't appear serious, the injury is painful and Henry could miss time in the preseason."

LINK

In the could-be-something, could-be-nothing category, Hunter Henry injured his shoulder in practice yesterday and left mid-practice yesterday.

Per Mike Reiss: "Patriots TE Hunter Henry injured his shoulder in Sunday's practice, and is having an MRI, per a source. While initial indications are that the injury doesn't appear serious, the injury is painful and Henry could miss time in the preseason."

LINK
When it happened, he kept practicing til he couldn't raise it. Coaches asked him if he wanted to come out and he said he could roll. At about a half hour later, someone sent him to the doc. I would not want to be that coach if this mri comes back badly

Any updates? Did he miss the entire preseason? There was speculation he would get snaps Sunday and haven't seen any follow up.

BobbyLayne said:
Any updates? Did he miss the entire preseason? There was speculation he would get snaps Sunday and haven't seen any follow up.
Henry was at practice today and was no longer wearing a red no contact jersey. That is definitely a step in the right direction with 2 weeks to go until opening day.

Henry was at practice today and was no longer wearing a red no contact jersey. That is definitely a step in the right direction with 2 weeks to go until opening day.
Very good news, and I like his prospects a lot better with Mac under center. I might be crazy. 

Patriots TE Hunter Henry (shoulder) said he expects to play in Week 1 against the Dolphins. 

A month after Henry injured his shoulder in training camp, he said he's “excited to go out there and compete with [Mac Jones]" against Miami in the Pats' season opener. New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said Henry and fellow prized free agent signing Jonnu Smith -- who was also dinged up in August -- will be ready to go for Week 1. “I feel very confident in both players’ aptitude and understanding of our system and our operation and what we do offensively and what their roles are in it," McDaniels said. New England should be among the league leaders in two tight end sets this season, making both Henry and Smith viable fantasy options in 12 and 14-team formats. Smith on Monday said he and Henry are "two alpha males" pushing each other on the practice field and the weight room. Adjust your ranks. 

RELATED: 

Jonnu Smith

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Sep 7, 2021, 10:50 AM ET

Hunter Henry caught 3-of-3 targets for 31 yards in the Patriots' Week 1 loss to the Dolphins. 

Pro Football Focus charted Henry playing 54 of the Patriots' 75 snaps, just one fewer than fellow free agent addition Jonnu Smith. Smith went 5/42, out-producing Henry, though all three of Henry's receptions came after the break. There is still reason to suspect Henry could emerge as an important target for the Pats' Mac Jones-led offense, especially in the red zone. It just might take a while for Jones to sort out his favorite pass catchers. Henry gets the Jets for Week 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunter Henry has run a pass route on 67.4 percent of Mac Jones' drop backs this season.

Jonnu Smith, meanwhile, has run a route on 37.1 percent of Jones' drop backs through three weeks. Smith, of course, leads the New England tight ends with 16 targets to Henry's 13. In negative game script against the Saints in Week 3, Henry ran 39 pass routes while Smith ran 15. Both tight ends saw six targets -- Smith caught one pass while Henry finished with five grabs. Smith's involvement despite the lack of routes will keep him somewhat fantasy relevant but it's Henry who looks like the superior play when the Patriots are forced into pass-heavy game scripts. 

RELATED: 

Jonnu Smith

Sep 27, 2021, 9:13 AM ET

Hunter Henry caught 4-of-5 targets for 32 yards and a touchdown in Week 4 against the Bucs.

Henry had two of his five catches on the Patriots' opening drive. Both of New England's touchdowns came in the red-zone, with Henry and Jonnu Smith doing the scoring this week. Henry has shown signs of life after a slow start, catching nine passes the last two games. He has a streamable Week 5 matchup with the Texans.

Oct 4, 2021, 1:51 AM ET

Hunter Henry caught 6-of-8 targets for 75 yards and a touchdown in New England's win over the Texans.

The Texans were amongst the league leaders in tight end targets allowed before the game and the game did nothing to change that. Henry peppered the middle of the field and got his touchdown on a corner route that Mac Jones deftly placed over the corner in the end zone. Henry will remain a borderline TE1/TE2 play against the Cowboys in Week 6. 

Oct 10, 2021, 5:52 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread