What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PK Roberto Aguayo - chronic case of the yips (1 Viewer)

Some other rookie jobber misses a few kicks and nobody cares.  You get drafted in the second round and come out of the gate struggling all eyes will be on you.  I guess Jason Licht never pondered that this kid might miss a few and what would happen if he did.

It's a Bucs life.

Bucs coach Dirk Koetter believes second-round K Roberto Aguayo's struggles are mental.
"I think [the struggles are mental] and I think he believes that," Koetter said. "We've talked to him. He knows what he has to do." The best kicker in the nation throughout his college career, a mental block is the only reason for Aguayo to be struggling as much as he is. The embattled kicker missed three more kicks in practice Tuesday, but Koetter said the team is not yet looking to bring in competition.

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter 
Aug 23 - 12:36 PM

I took him at PK26 back in April in the PDSL leagues over in the Mock Draft forum.

The Bucs trade up to draft him in the 2nd and in the SSL, immediately thereafter, he goes at PK8.

Then he misses a couple FGs in preseason and promptly falls to me in Anarchy 6 at ... PK26. Frantic overreactions FTW! ?

It really doesn't matter if he has the yips or not; he's got the talent and will get the entire season to prove himself. Because he's a 2nd-round pick, and that's what GMs do.

Drafting him in the last round with my fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought this tweet was funny today:

@xmasape 1st RD QB: hope you become good in the next 3-4 years
2ND RD KICKER: if you miss a preseason kick we'll kidnap your family

Thought this tweet was funny today:

@xmasape 1st RD QB: hope you become good in the next 3-4 years
2ND RD KICKER: if you miss a preseason kick we'll kidnap your family
Apples and oranges. Is there some sort of new technique or new offense or new coaches that a kicker needs to learn like a QB does. Does a kicker need to gel with his snapper and holder like a QB has to with his WRs/TEs? How many kickers in the entire history of the NFL were given a pass in year 1 because they need a year to grow. How many games is OK for Aguayo to lose this year?

This may be fun to watch this year, but Aguayo should have no issues kicking FGs and XPs in pre-season at all.

Apples and oranges. Is there some sort of new technique or new offense or new coaches that a kicker needs to learn like a QB does. Does a kicker need to gel with his snapper and holder like a QB has to with his WRs/TEs? How many kickers in the entire history of the NFL were given a pass in year 1 because they need a year to grow. How many games is OK for Aguayo to lose this year?

This may be fun to watch this year, but Aguayo should have no issues kicking FGs and XPs in pre-season at all.
It was just a funny tweet dude. 

He's definitely got the yips but if he overcomes this adversity it'll probably make him a better kicker in the long run.

Capella said:
It was just a funny tweet dude. 
Not really directed at you, just a really terrible tweet. I guess funny in a I can't believe people think like that to justify what their GM did kind of way.

He's right in that picking a K in rd2 is never a good move.  It is a terrible process regardless of the results.
If he literally never missed a kick for the rest of his career it would be one of the best selections in history. 

As it is, it was probably a bad use of an asset but not the end of the world either. Been plenty of terrible top-60 picks over the years. 

Perfect so far.  :thumbup:

I think you could hear the collective sigh of relief from here in town all the way in Atlanta when that first one split the uprights. 

Several big field goals and extra points missed in Opening Week. 

Disastrous use of resources. I concede.

Magnified by the amount of injuries they have. The Bucs could have used a couple other actual football players with the picks they used for this choke artist. 

Everyone criticized Lovie for sticking with bad kicking too long, so I would expect a similar situation here.  They should bring in kickers for tryouts during the bye, and then see how he does in San Fran.  

I could see them keeping both to start the season.  Teams have done that in the past, in particular when one is much more effective on kickoffs than the other.  Losing a 2nd round investment would suck, so it wouldn't surprise me if they keep Aguayo too with Folk as the safety net.

After a troubling rookie season, Bucs Robert Aguayo was essentially put on the hot seat when the team brough in veteran kicker, Nick Folk.

In their first showdown of the 2017 practice season, Folk took the lead by going an impressive 4-for-4 on the skinny goal posts. Aguayo, on the other hand, went just 1-for-4. Not only did Folks’ kicks go right down the middle, they were also kicked with significantly more power than Aguayo’s. We’re one day into practice and things don’t look good for the former Florida State record holder.

Aguayo lined up for four medium-range kicks on the skinny goal posts, which are about half as wide as regulation NFL goal posts. Aguayo’s first kick hit the right upright. Then he overcompensated and was wide left. Then he overcompensated again and was wide right before making his final field goal.

Had Aguayo lined up for field goals on a regular uprights, he would have made two and perhaps three, but he wouldn’t have been perfect. Folk, who was signed this offseason as competition after Aguayo was the worst-rated kicker in the NFL last year as a rookie, was perfect. He nailed all four of his kicks right down the middle of the skinny uprights and made an incredible first impression.

Folk is going to make it. Sunk cost. Good thing Light has done a great job almost everywhere else. He swung and missed on this one though. 

Something about a team trading up to draft a kicker in the second round only to consider dropping him the following season just makes me laugh.

No reason.  I just can't wait for the Bucs to kick the crap out of Mike Glennon week 2.
Oh... So you took offense to my comment.  lol   That's fine.  The Bucs are better than the Bears right now and have been putting together a good team so they will most likely beat them.  I was making fun of the pick though, not the organization.  I mean, come on, that was one of the worst draft moves ever.

Oh... So you took offense to my comment.  lol   That's fine.  The Bucs are better than the Bears right now and have been putting together a good team so they will most likely beat them.  I was making fun of the pick though, not the organization.  I mean, come on, that was one of the worst draft moves ever.
No offense taken.  I was alluding to the Bears use of draft capital to move up one spot to take a QB they could have had one pick later.  Yes, Aguayo is a disaster, but I see that move turning out to be one as well. 

Licht was thinking his team was closer than it was, and he also thought he wasn't getting a mental midget kicker.  I defended it myself for a couple pages in here.  No sugar coating it now.  Licht gets a pass because he has nailed other selections and has put together a respectable roster, but it's difficult to think about the other players that could have been taken with the picks that were used to get Roberto

No offense taken.  I was alluding to the Bears use of draft capital to move up one spot to take a QB they could have had one pick later.  Yes, Aguayo is a disaster, but I see that move turning out to be one as well. 

Licht was thinking his team was closer than it was, and he also thought he wasn't getting a mental midget kicker.  I defended it myself for a couple pages in here.  No sugar coating it now.  Licht gets a pass because he has nailed other selections and has put together a respectable roster, but it's difficult to think about the other players that could have been taken with the picks that were used to get Roberto
Not sure that moving up one spot to take a QB in the first and moving up to take a kicker in the second round is a very good comparison.  There is no proof that Trubisky would have fallen and there were plenty of reports that teams wanted him.  I can't imagine there was another team that was going to take a kicker ahead of the Bucs in the second round or even the third.  I'm curious as to where Roberto was actually expected to go in that draft.

Hawkeye21 said:
I mean, you guys just traded a ton move up to get your future backup quarterback. 

I mean, you guys just traded a ton move up to get your future backup quarterback. 
They didn't trade away a ton but it was certainly a risk.  I wasn't happy with the move at first but now I'm fine with it.  As long as he becomes a good QB it will be well worth it.

Regardless if Aguayo was a great kicker or not it was still an odd move to trade up and draft him.  How many kickers have ever been worth taking before the 4th round?  Very few, maybe one or two.  Like I said before, I wasn't bashing the Bucs since I think they've done an awesome job building a team.  I'm just bashing that one, extremely questionable draft pick.

They didn't trade away a ton but it was certainly a risk.  I wasn't happy with the move at first but now I'm fine with it.  As long as he becomes a good QB it will be well worth it.

Regardless if Aguayo was a great kicker or not it was still an odd move to trade up and draft him.  How many kickers have ever been worth taking before the 4th round?  Very few, maybe one or two.  Like I said before, I wasn't bashing the Bucs since I think they've done an awesome job building a team.  I'm just bashing that one, extremely questionable draft pick.
I agree it was dumb to move up and get a kicker. Teams give up a lot of draft picks for bad players all the time though. Usually not a kicker...but still. 

I wish he hadn't done it but he's done such a good job building the team that I think most Bucs fans have just forgotten about it. 

I agree it was dumb to move up and get a kicker. Teams give up a lot of draft picks for bad players all the time though. Usually not a kicker...but still. 

I wish he hadn't done it but he's done such a good job building the team that I think most Bucs fans have just forgotten about it. 
I think the fact that they've done so well drafting all their other players makes the kicker pick even more shocking.  Seriously, go look at the history of where kickers are drafted and you'll see it makes zero sense to use any pick higher than the 4th round on one.  I looked and it proved my point which is why it surprises me why some teams still do it.

I think the fact that they've done so well drafting all their other players makes the kicker pick even more shocking.  Seriously, go look at the history of where kickers are drafted and you'll see it makes zero sense to use any pick higher than the 4th round on one.  I looked and it proved my point which is why it surprises me why some teams still do it.
The Jets spent a second round pick on John Hall one year. It's never a good idea since the kicking game is so mental and not physical. Almost always, like here, the kid gets cast aside and a veteran that's succeeded before is brought in.

Users who are viewing this thread