What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PK Roberto Aguayo - chronic case of the yips (1 Viewer)

The pressure broke him.  The pressure of trying to justify the pick.  The pressure of kicks when the game is 10-7 instead of 28-0.  That's the mistake Licht made.  He thought he was getting the 90%+ accuracy from college.  Those kicks were easy.  Once the real pressure was on Roberto wilted.  It wasn't bad enough that he was horribly inaccurate.  He also can't hit anything over 50 yards, and that isn't going to change.  It was painful how many times this team punted from the 35 yard line because Koetter had no confidence that Aguayo could even get close from 50+.  Just a horrible horrible pick.

Honestly, they should just end the charade now and let him fade off into oblivion.  Now that Folk is there he's probably just going to get worse.

The pressure broke him.  The pressure of trying to justify the pick.  The pressure of kicks when the game is 10-7 instead of 28-0.  That's the mistake Licht made.  He thought he was getting the 90%+ accuracy from college.  Those kicks were easy.  Once the real pressure was on Roberto wilted.  It wasn't bad enough that he was horribly inaccurate.  He also can't hit anything over 50 yards, and that isn't going to change.  It was painful how many times this team punted from the 35 yard line because Koetter had no confidence that Aguayo could even get close from 50+.  Just a horrible horrible pick.

Honestly, they should just end the charade now and let him fade off into oblivion.  Now that Folk is there he's probably just going to get worse.
This is why I can't understand how any team would think it's a good idea to use that high of a draft pick on a kicker.  It seems like common sense but even if one doesn't have common sense you'd think that they could have just seen how history has proven that it's a terrible idea.  Strange.

You know that once they release him and he eventually gets picked up by another team he'll then prove how great of a kicker he really is.

After this epic disaster I doubt it will happen again for a very long time.
Until the next GM that thinks he's smarter than everyone else gets a chance to do it again.  There's always going to be a guy like that and next time it will probably be a punter in a high round.

Until the next GM that thinks he's smarter than everyone else gets a chance to do it again.  There's always going to be a guy like that and next time it will probably be a punter in a high round.
Licht did sign Anger to a free agent deal after Jacksonville let him go (they took him in the 4th round I think?), and he was the best punter in the league last year.

Licht did sign Anger to a free agent deal after Jacksonville let him go (they took him in the 4th round I think?), and he was the best punter in the league last year.
3rd round, 70th pick. With Russell Wilson still on the board.  :lol:

Hawkeye's right - this won't ever happen again until the next time it happens, because GMs have short memories and huge egos.

That proves my point though.  Another team wasted a high draft pick on a punter only to let him go to get signed by another team and be one of the best in the league.  Silly.

I think the fact that they've done so well drafting all their other players makes the kicker pick even more shocking.  Seriously, go look at the history of where kickers are drafted and you'll see it makes zero sense to use any pick higher than the 4th round on one.  I looked and it proved my point which is why it surprises me why some teams still do it.
The story is they had intel that another team was about to pick him. Which could have been true. They should've just let them have him. 

The story is they had intel that another team was about to pick him. Which could have been true. They should've just let them have him. 
That's probably true and they should have let the other team get him.  What team is seriously going to look back and say "Man, we really missed out on taking that kicker in the second round.  He could have gotten us to the playoffs."

Bucs K Roberto Aguayo connected on just 5-of-9 field goal attempts during two OTA practices open to the media last week.
Competitor Nick Folk went 9-for-9 on kicks all from the same distance. Tampa Bay Times reporter Rick Stroud is skeptical Aguayo will be a part of the Bucs' 2017 roster, just one year after GM Jason Licht traded up to draft him in the second round. Whereas Aguayo managed a league-low 71 percent field goal rate as a rookie, Folk is a lifetime 81.3-percent kicker.

Source: Tampa Bay Times 
May 28 - 10:49 PM

Remember when some people on these boards were saying he was worth the 2nd round pick and that they were using late 2 and early 3rd rounders on him in rookie drafts? Now that was ridiculous. 

Remember when some people on these boards were saying he was worth the 2nd round pick and that they were using late 2 and early 3rd rounders on him in rookie drafts? Now that was ridiculous. 
I tried to justify it as a fan.  Recanted early last year. A kicker with the yips is unlikely to make the team over a proven veteran in Folk. The Bucs have playoff aspirations. 

Quite possibly the worst pick in franchise history after Bo Jackson.  

That being said.. Justin Tucker and Matt Prater have been offered up as suggestions in the "most valuable non-QB" thread. 

Had Aguayo been the same ultra-accurate kicker he was in college in his rookie season we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Look at all the players chosen before Aguayo. How many already feel like busts after their rookie season? 

meh.  Using a 3rd on him would have been fine if he was what TB thought he was.  Big legged super accurate kicker on a high powered offense.

Didn't work out, but almost all players picked in the 3rd in rookie drafts end up worthless anyway.

I tried to justify it as a fan.  Recanted early last year. A kicker with the yips is unlikely to make the team over a proven veteran in Folk. The Bucs have playoff aspirations. 

That being said.. Justin Tucker and Matt Prater have been offered up as suggestions in the "most valuable non-QB" thread. 

Had Aguayo been the same ultra-accurate kicker he was in college in his rookie season we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Look at all the players chosen before Aguayo. How many already feel like busts after their rookie season? 
Yep.  It's kind of crazy how many "safe bet" players don't pan out.  Especially when the kicking job doesn't change as much from college to pro as other positions.

And yes, it seems really inconsistent to say kickers have the 2nd most impact on wins while also saying no kicker is worth taking in the 2nd round.

Last edited by a moderator:
ILUVBEER99 said:
meh.  Using a 3rd on him would have been fine if he was what TB thought he was.  Big legged super accurate kicker on a high powered offense.

Didn't work out, but almost all players picked in the 3rd in rookie drafts end up worthless anyway.
I don't agree. A kicker that pans out has Almost no upside. No one is going to trade a 2nd or 1st for them if they do. A player from another position that pans out has significant upside. 

Particularly agree with your last point. Aguayo rightfully will catch a lot of heat because he's a kicker, but there are a load of 2/3rd round picks from that draft that are likely on borrowed time. 

Light botched this one but he's been pretty awesome elsewhere so time to move on imo.

What? I haven't read the thread so I don't doubt you, but those are pretty silly suggestions. I understand that Tucker is money as a kicker, but the only reason kickers can win you a game is because the rest of the team gives them that chance.

What? I haven't read the thread so I don't doubt you, but those are pretty silly suggestions. I understand that Tucker is money as a kicker, but the only reason kickers can win you a game is because the rest of the team gives them that chance.
Correct. I just find it interesting.

How deflating is it as a team to move the ball into scoring range but stall out, settle for a kick, and then it's missed? To say the kicker isn't worthy of a high pick and then also suggest he's the most valuable non-QB on the team is rather hypocritical.

How valuable is a kicker who never misses anything from 55 yards and in? 45?

Aguayo was billed as the perfect kicking prospect who you could always count on from inside 45 yards. He certainly wasn't that in 2016.

If he were to somehow turn in to Justin Tucker though I don't think Tampa would regret the pick so much. 

The NFL doesn't seem any better At scouting kicker talent now than they were 40 years ago. Punters seem to work out pretty well as draft picks but not kickers. 

The NFL doesn't seem any better At scouting kicker talent now than they were 40 years ago. Punters seem to work out pretty well as draft picks but not kickers. 
How do you scout players when the best ever at their position in college can't hack it in the NFL.  I'm not sure how you can evaluate a position that probably has more to do with mental fortitude than any other position in the game.

He didn't have a chance as soon as TB traded up for him and took him in the second round. I feel more confident in him with the next team than TB. A lot of the pressure will be off now that he failed. 

Love the move by the Bears. Hopefully a change of scenery works for him and he performs like he did in college. 

I kinda feel for the guy. He didn't pick himself in the second rd. and he's clearing pressing now. He needs to back away from the game and get with a sports shrink. Resurface for a tryout when teams get desperate later on and when he clears the cobwebs. Yikes

Users who are viewing this thread