What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Skiing Thread*** (1 Viewer)

My only day skiing this year was Lake Louise - I was there for a conference.  Absolutely gorgeous up there.  We usually go to Vail for spring break, but after such a warm week there in late March last year - including rain - we went to the Bahamas this year.  Of course, they got about 25 inches of snow.  Back to co next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Professionally?   I was a chef.   

For the skiing,  depended on the snowfall.  If there was a good storm I would head to the bowls.  Standard day I would migrate with the sun.  I liked to hang around blue sky and Pete's.  At Breck, peaks 7 and 10

Skied a lot growing up near Boston. Had friends who had a place near Waterville. Good variety of places near there. My family would go on breaks too. Our schools had a break in February that was good for skiing.

Lost it during college, and then married a girl who became a CPA. Hard to ski when you are working 70+ hour weeks in the winter!! We may try to get back into it next year.

I'm 50 now, and picked up skiing last year. We now have a family house near Park City (Heber City - Red Ledges). So I skiied a bunch this year and will be going forward. Took me a few trips to nail down the parallel skiing, but love it now. Kids are all skiiers too.  :thumbup:

SKIING RULES!

I was addicted to skiing when I was young.  Would go on family ski vacations and those were my favorite 5-6 days of each year.  I decided to become a full-time ski bum after I got my college degree so I moved to New Zealand during their winter and then moved to Winter Park for their winter.  Between NZ and WP I got about 150 days in my first year, including at least 15 days backcountry skiing on Berthoud Pass.  I stayed in Winter Park and the next winter I got about 110 days in.  The next year I was then lucky enough to get a job using my degree and I have been in WP for over 20 years. But I do miss those early days.  While I barely had enough money to pay rent and buy a six-pack, all those face-shots on deep powder days easily made up for it.

I gave up downhill skiing about 15 years ago and now just telemark, which is lots of fun and a great workout.  I get out with my family about 15-20 times a year (which has been a good bonding experience) and I still sneak out from work on big powder days.

Let's say we're almost 50 and our skiing experience was going a couple of times in high school.  Next season, is it even worth trying to learn or is it the kind of thing that takes years to get good enough to have fun.  And lets also say that our wife would be joining us who's in decent shape but not a particularly good athlete.

My answer depends on how much you are willing to spend.  If you are okay dropping $5-10k for a week out west in early March, I would absolutely do it.  Most high-end resorts have enough available to make it a great week even if you decide that skiing isn't for you.  Ideally I would go to Vail, book lodging through VRBO, and set up private lessons for the first couple of days.  Make a bunch of good dinner reservations - do this a month ahead of time - Seeet Basil, Kelly Liken, Matsuhita - throughout the week; game creek restaurant your second to last night; on day 3 assess whether you want to keep skiing or spend the rest of the week in a hot tub or on a massage table.

Just kidding - last winter snowshoe was absolutely buried in snow.  The conditions would be far more likely to be cold and icy anywhere on the east coast.  If you neither you nor your wife are bothered by that, go for it.  Today's ski and outerwear technology make it a far less demanding sport than it once was, but you're still outside in the elements the whole time.

No, but in my mind the weather does.
I'm not following you.  I assumed it will be cold where ever you ski?  My question is more toward can a guy in good shape who's a decent athlete get good enough skiing to enjoy himself in his late 40's?  And the same for his wife minus the decent athlete portion.

Got out to Aspen Snowmass in December...more recently the bunny hills of Wisconsin (Alpine Valley), since it is the only thing within an hour or two drive of me  :bag:

In Colorado, Utah, etc. the base of snow is great enough that they stay open until mid April usually.  As a result, you have the ability to learn to ski when it's between 35-50 degrees and bright sunshine.  With the occasional 10 inches of snow overnight.

:blackdot:

Got into skiing 2 years ago, late bloomer. Took lessons and getting better every time I go out, and love it. Rented equipment year one and bought equipment year two, it makes an  absolute world of difference for other beginners out there. I was mad that the East Coast had one of the warmest winters on record this year, was kind of crappy for skiing, all the more reason to start planning trips I guess. I want to go out west, and in the shorter term try to get to a country on the Euro while it's still sort of depressed vs the dollar.

I'd say buy boots and rent skis.  The fit on rental boots is gong to have a huge impact on your day, and on your ability to enjoy skiing.

I'd say buy boots and rent skis.  The fit on rental boots is gong to have a huge impact on your day, and on your ability to enjoy skiing.
And black and blue toes. Had that experience with rental boots, and they felt like anvils trying to make turns. Middle-grade boots that I was properly fitted for that were my own made all the difference in the world, much lighter for turning and more comfortable.

I'm not following you.  I assumed it will be cold where ever you ski?  My question is more toward can a guy in good shape who's a decent athlete get good enough skiing to enjoy himself in his late 40's?  And the same for his wife minus the decent athlete portion.
Sure, you can pick up skiing late in life, no problem. And as a guy that learned on the East Coast and spent a lot of time at Snowshoe, Wisp, and Seven Springs... if you can ski well on an east coast ice mountain, you can ski anywhere.

Let's say we're almost 50 and our skiing experience was going a couple of times in high school.  Next season, is it even worth trying to learn or is it the kind of thing that takes years to get good enough to have fun.  And lets also say that our wife would be joining us who's in decent shape but not a particularly good athlete.
I think it is worth learning how to do.  From there, you can decide how you want to ski.  There can be a certain zen to just coasting on corduroy or fresh powder.... or you can challenge yourself with steeps and moguls (or build up to it).  it is also something the family can do together for years.

We taught our daughter young. then did not ski for 5 years.  we went to Tahoe this year and for the first day took her to an easier hill (diamond peak).  it came back to her and later in the trip we did northstar.  it is a very family friendly mountain with more going on.   I am also at a place where i do not need to ski every day on a ski vacation.

Does the mountain really matter that much if you're a beginner?
Yes.  Maybe not necessarily the exact mountain, but certainly the snow conditions make a huge difference.  Skiing back east will almost guarantee you rock-hard/icy snow conditions.  There's always exceptions, but skiing out west will almost always guarantee you better conditions, which will make your skiing experience more enjoyable.  If you want your wife to get into it, I do not recommend bringing her out on a cold icy day because "we're beginners and it really shouldn't matter where or when we ski."  Maybe you can't get out west to ski and if that's the case I'd find another way to spend quality time with your wife. I've skied back east one time and IMO it was a complete waste of money - I can't imagine enjoying myself at the age of 50 trying to learn to ski on concrete.

One advantage you will have is the new shaped/rocker skiis makes turning much easier than with the old long boards.  You can be on the blue (intermediate) runs within a few hours if you are a decent athlete.

Long time skier.  Been living near Sun Valley Idaho for 20+ years.  My wife works for the mountain so I get a free pass every year.  Usually works out to about 20-30 days per year, as I have a full time job that keeps me busy.  Anything more than that and I get bored, especially skiing alone.  I've been doing more backcountry skiing the past few years, and it is a great way to get exercise, explore the mountains in solitude, and get some killer powder turns - you just have to be safe, invest in the right equipment, and make good decisions.

Because I have a pass, I don't travel to ski much, but I would strongly advise people looking to explore new areas to invest in a Mountain Collective Pass.  For $389, pass entitles you to 2 days skiing at each of 12 resorts and 50% off day tickets after that.  Participating mountains include Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, Alta/Snowbird, Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows, Stowe, Aspen/Snowmass, Taos, Mammoth, Lake Louise, Whistler/Blackcomb.  There are also some participating mountains in Japan, Australia and France.  It could also be a good deal for family vacation as well (kid's pass is $99).  I think the price goes up in summer/fall, so now is the time to buy.  

Youtube videos will probably be more useful after you've gotten back on your skis, so you have something to relate to. 

Half day of lessons should be enough to get you going in the right direction.

In Colorado, Utah, etc. the base of snow is great enough that they stay open until mid April usually.  As a result, you have the ability to learn to ski when it's between 35-50 degrees and bright sunshine.  With the occasional 10 inches of snow overnight.
Yep. Colorado mountains are expecting a 2-3 foot dump this weekend.  BAM!

My sister from Cali was going to fly in today (but her flight got redirected) and she couldn't believe she still had to bring her winter clothes.

I picked up a couple of new pairs of skis for next season.  Killer deals on both.

192 cm DPS Wailer 99 Pure for everyday 

189cm DPS Lotus 120 Pure for when it DUMPS

First skis I've bought in 6+ years.  I blew out the edge on my old Volkl Mantras.

SKIING RULES!

I was addicted to skiing when I was young.  Would go on family ski vacations and those were my favorite 5-6 days of each year.  I decided to become a full-time ski bum after I got my college degree so I moved to New Zealand during their winter and then moved to Winter Park for their winter.  Between NZ and WP I got about 150 days in my first year, including at least 15 days backcountry skiing on Berthoud Pass.  I stayed in Winter Park and the next winter I got about 110 days in.  The next year I was then lucky enough to get a job using my degree and I have been in WP for over 20 years. But I do miss those early days.  While I barely had enough money to pay rent and buy a six-pack, all those face-shots on deep powder days easily made up for it.

I gave up downhill skiing about 15 years ago and now just telemark, which is lots of fun and a great workout.  I get out with my family about 15-20 times a year (which has been a good bonding experience) and I still sneak out from work on big powder days.
I may have driven you up the pass a few times.

I was going to buy one in addition to my goggles and gloves. Any huge difference between the $80 and $400 ones?
The $400 helmets will probably fit and look better but I haven't heard that they offer any better protection.  They probably also have a longer service life but that probably doesn't matter unless you plan to wear it >200 times.

just stumbled on to this thread.  this year rocked, we got in 11 days at mammoth!  timed 2 huge storms perfectly.  this year really got my wife into it and my 9 year old daughter is starting to be able to hang with me :eek: .  i used to ski a ton and now that the family is on board, we're already planning next year.  i'd love to hit 14 days+ next season.

I picked up a couple of new pairs of skis for next season.  Killer deals on both.

192 cm DPS Wailer 99 Pure for everyday 

189cm DPS Lotus 120 Pure for when it DUMPS

First skis I've bought in 6+ years.  I blew out the edge on my old Volkl Mantras.
why so long?  i used to ski 200+.  now i 175-185 max.  

Anybody have experience with prescription goggles? I just had to get glasses for the first time and wondering how I'm going to handle skiing. Things were pretty blurry for me last year and it makes for some unnecessarily dicey moments here and there. Do you wear glasses under your goggles?

just stumbled on to this thread.  this year rocked, we got in 11 days at mammoth!  timed 2 huge storms perfectly.  this year really got my wife into it and my 9 year old daughter is starting to be able to hang with me :eek: .  i used to ski a ton and now that the family is on board, we're already planning next year.  i'd love to hit 14 days+ next season.
38 days in 16 and 32 days in 17. 18 is shaping up nicely.   Headed to Mammoth for thanksgiving for the 4th straight year.  Deer valley for a week for New Years.  Gotta plan 18 more days, so I can get another year with an entire month on the slopes.  F’ing love skiing. 

Apple Jack said:
Anybody have experience with prescription goggles? I just had to get glasses for the first time and wondering how I'm going to handle skiing. Things were pretty blurry for me last year and it makes for some unnecessarily dicey moments here and there. Do you wear glasses under your goggles?
Met a dude last season that rocked Clark Kent’s under his goggles. 

i ski 30-40 times per year.   Been teaching my kids starting about 7 years ago, this will be their 8th season.    Oldest daughter doesn't like it because she doesn't like "cold" but she' s good skier and ski most anything.   Middle daughter quit for a couple years, then she went again last spring at Park City with me and the two younger kids and she said she loved it again   Of all the kids, she had the most "natural" athletic stance on her skis.  I had high hopes for that one, but she just likes to glide down at a moderate speed.   The 12 yr old boy is a killer, he'll go anywhere I go which is about 99% of any mountain.   The little 9yr old girl is my slowest learner, she has the talent but not the instinct.  She's afraid still.   Hopefully this will be the year she really "gets it".   

family ski time is really fun and i'm glad my kids will know how to ski for the rest of their lives if they choose to

Love skiing.  We are debating warm weather vs ski trip over Xmas.  Either Breck, Vail, or Tahoe.  We do not go nearly as often as I would like.

Ikon pass. ?  On same skis and in same boots for 20+ years now.  Might upgrade but I still like my boards.  Salomon pocket rockets.

Love skiing.  We are debating warm weather vs ski trip over Xmas.  Either Breck, Vail, or Tahoe.  We do not go nearly as often as I would like.
Haven't been in a while. I liked Breck as a base of operation as it gives easy access to Copper, Keystone and A-Basin. If you need to, Vail is less than an hour away.

I'm no expert, but Breck will be at the higher elevation so should be almost guaranteed to be fully open by X-mas.
That high elevation terrain(Imperial) at Breck is pretty rocky and even in early season is shut down in many cases. But Breck is a great place to go for a lot less money than Vail. I prefer the fall lines at Vail - both front and back.

I've never been to Keystone, or A-Basin.

Wife and I are beginner skiers,but want to hit the slopes on Thanksgiving morning since none of our families are in town. By the looks of it, A-Basin won't have much in the way of runs for us. We'll only do 3 or 4 runs and then head back down the mountain since we have dogs who will need to be let out. Which one would be easier to park/get onto the mountain?
Get there real early - I mean real early and you can park in the main lot at A-Basin and walk to car between runs. Granted it is better when Pali is running - which would be a miracle on Thanksgiving - but for you the runs at A-Basin are a nice rolling set of gullies that will give you some good turns and a few drops. There should only be about 2,000 other dogs in the lot.

Users who are viewing this thread