Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Skiing Thread***

On 2/24/2020 at 9:07 AM, Drunken knight said:

@Redwes25

I was living in Breckenridge when I ventured out to Telluride. It was stunning.  I called my wife to discuss moving.  Ultimately, we decided that it was a bit remote (and we enjoyed being closer to a major city).  

It had a wonderful feel to it and I loved the dramatic mountains.

I was in Durango for five years and was way ready to get back to city life.

Just had a couple super sneaky soft days at Vail. Only 7 reported Sun-Tue, but Mon-Tue skied like full-blown powder days due in large part to the soft snow still around from the three foot storm they had recently. Two completely exhilarating days with the mountain relatively empty of people. So awesome when they hit on early week days.

ETA: Demo'd the K2 Mindbenders and I am sold. Those things are badass.

Edited by Apple Jack
  • Like 2
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading to north Lake Tahoe tomorrow  alpine on Sunday... just the guys. Homewood on Monday with the kids

www.backcountry.com and its discount site www.steepandcheap.com www.moosejaw.com and its discount site www.mountainsteals.com www.evo.com www.the-house.com (great reviews too) www.

All your recs have been great. Thanks a lot! You didn’t mention any of the new Sunrise terrain. If you haven’t checked it out, you should. While the Sunrise bowl has been closed, the gladed runs

18 hours ago, Apple Jack said:

I was in Durango for five years and was way ready to get back to city life.

Just had a couple super sneaky soft days at Vail. Only 7 reported Sun-Tue, but Mon-Tue skied like full-blown powder days due in large part to the soft snow still around from the three foot storm they had recently. Two completely exhilarating days with the mountain relatively empty of people. So awesome when they hit on early week days.

ETA: Demo'd the K2 Mindbenders and I am sold. Those things are badass.

awesome!  i do everything i can, to not go on weekends.  i'm going to jackson hole, sun-sat, next week.  can't wait!  i got the Nordica enforcers this year, and love them!  ski tech has really changed over the years, and the ski really matters now.  it's amazing how differently they perform, from ski to ski.

• 3 weeks later...

Today was supposed to be the last day at our local hill but corporate officially closed it down last night. :kicksrock:

It was in rough shape, but I'm still pretty bummed.  It was a great social distancing activity. They had signs at the lifts yesterday instructing people to only ride with other people in their parties. I skied for hours yesterday and never got within 15-20ft of anyone. 

• Like 1

Going to lake Tahoe this week. North Star, squaw valley, alpine, heavenly and a few others closed.  Wondering how many more before head head up.

also wonder about how many restaurants will close and how well stocked the grocery stores will be.

1 minute ago, Drunken knight said:

Going to lake Tahoe this week. North Star, squaw valley, alpine, heavenly and a few others closed.  Wondering how many more before head head up.

also wonder about how many restaurants will close and how well stocked the grocery stores will be.

I'd be surprised if any of them are open beyond today, which is a bummer because I know they just got pounded.

Edited by Apple Jack

Well seems like my season is over for the year after being in Breck last weekend.  Got out 11 times which was pretty good for me.  Was hoping for one last spring weekend but that is not going to happen.  Probably for the best to be honest.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Redwes25 said:

Well seems like my season is over for the year after being in Breck last weekend.  Got out 11 times which was pretty good for me.  Was hoping for one last spring weekend but that is not going to happen.  Probably for the best to be honest.  

Bummed to not get one more trip in as well. 18 days for me. Maybe mammoth will reopen in april. I skied there on the 4th of July, last year. 

15 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Bummed to not get one more trip in as well. 18 days for me. Maybe mammoth will reopen in april. I skied there on the 4th of July, last year. 

yeah, out in the east where I live spring skiing is March!

Edited by Redwes25
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok, I feel some coolness in the air which has gotten me to think about my true love (skiing).  I had kept up working out for the start of Covid but feel off the band wagon around end of July so need to get back into and ready for ski season because Covid is not stopping me from getting on the slopes.  Do folks have a work out plan they use.  I typically do some cardio and then start doing some leg blasters that are torture.  I started on the bike this past week end and plan to start the leg routine I have used in past on Monday - it is torture.  

https://sawback.com/blog/leg-blasters/

On to more interesting topics, anyone planning any trips?  I think I am shooting for a week in February in Northeast.  I don't think I can get the whole fam on a plane this year to out west. No idea if annual guys ski trip to Breck is happening this year.  That may be a more wait in see approach.  

Edited by Redwes25
2 hours ago, Redwes25 said:

Ok, I feel some coolness in the air which has gotten me to think about my true love (skiing).  I had kept up working out for the start of Covid but feel off the band wagon around end of July so need to get back into and ready for ski season because Covid is not stopping me from getting on the slopes.  Do folks have a work out plan they use.  I typically do some cardio and then start doing some leg blasters that are torture.  I started bike on the bike this past week end and plan to start the leg routine on Monday - it is torture.  

https://sawback.com/blog/leg-blasters/

On to more interesting topics, anyone planning any trips?  I think I am shooting for a week in February in Northeast.  I don't think I can get the whole fam on a plan this year.  No idea if annual guys ski trip to Breck is happening this year.  That may be a more wait in see approach.  

My ski workouts are all about core.  Squats, lunges, planks, etc. and a big dose of hiking - mostly hills.

I expect to mostly backcountry ski this year.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Mookie said:

My ski workouts are all about core.  Squats, lunges, planks, etc. and a big dose of hiking - mostly hills.

I expect to mostly backcountry ski this year.

Leg routine I do is just lots and lots of squats and lunges. Do biking for cardio and general fitness. 

I think a few good hikes this fall would be a great family workout. Will need to schedule something. 

Edited by Redwes25

I am undecided, I still hope to make it skiing this year, but will put off booking the trip for another month. If we do go it will probably be to the Vail/CopperMountain/Frisco area, although it might be the Crested Butte area this year.  It would either be in late February or March during my daughters spring break.

I have started increasing my workout to prepare for skiing. If we do go I want to be in great shape this year. So far I have added a few faster running days to my workout schedule and added lunges, but i will do more in December.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Anyone been out there much this year?  I have kept my skiing all in NY state this year and bought the NY state season pass.  I just finished up a week in Lake Placid skiing Whiteface and just hit my 11th day.  Will probably due another day or two Belleayre and might try to get to 14 days.  

Unfortunately, guys trip to Breck got cancelled this year (first time in a decade) but honestly I was too interested in flying out west and no way could I get the Wife's buy in.  

I’m in deer valley as we speak. 5th trip this year. Mammoth twice. Solitude/Brighton, Jackson hole. Now deer valley. Will hit 30 days this week. Other than minor inconveniences, it’s been great!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

I’m in deer valley as we speak. 5th trip this year. Mammoth twice. Solitude/Brighton, Jackson hole. Now deer valley. Will hit 30 days this week. Other than minor inconveniences, it’s been great!

I knew you would be out there this year!  Even though I have stayed out east this year conditions have been great.  

I hadn't been to Whiteface in at least a decade and forgot how good a mountain it is.  Some great steep runs on it and they don't do the fake diamond inflation that lots of places out east do.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

I knew you would be out there this year!  Even though I have stayed out east this year conditions have been great.  

I hadn't been to Whiteface in at least a decade and forgot how good a mountain it is.  Some great steep runs on it and they don't do the fake diamond inflation that lots of places out east do.  

One of these days, I’ll ski back east. Or maybe not. :lmao:  

glad to hear, you still got out locally.   

I really want to go heli skiing in Canada, if they ever let us back in. 

1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Was in SLC last week, PC Tue/Wed, Snowbasin Thu. PC Was epic. In Crested Butte now. Sunny day steeps. Should probably get back to work at some point.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

One of these days, I’ll ski back east. Or maybe not. :lmao:  

glad to hear, you still got out locally.   

If I lived out west no way would I journey to ski the east.  Of course there is some underrated mountains that are looked down on from folks out west but in a lot of ways the east can be more challenging.  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

the east can be more challenging.  

Icy, shorter, packed slopes are definitely more challenging.

Where do you ski here? Dumping snow right now in the city...

I live 20 minutes from Sun Valley, Idaho.  We've been here for 30+ years and I have a full (free) ski pass because my wife works for the company.  I've only skied 3 days on the mountain this year, and have focused more on backcountry and nordic skiing.  The mountain seems more crowded, and I'm still a little too sketched out about COVID.  I'm spoiled, but I just don't feel comfortable with it.  

As for east coast skiing, I left in 1990 and have never gone back.  Said goodbye to blue ice, skiing in the rain, massive lift lines, and crazy, scary road trips.  Altitude is everything.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Icy, shorter, packed slopes are definitely more challenging.

Where do you ski here? Dumping snow right now in the city...

Usually we do a few closer mountains to the city a couple times of year and then do a week out west.  Near the city my favorite spot is Belleayre (though not a challenging mountain).  I think Plattekille is the most challenging mountain near NYC but haven't been there in ages. 

This year we did our skiing all in NY state and did a couple of day trips and two longer trips.  I spent about four days at Gore around New Years and it is a good family friendly mountain though unfortunately The Rumor wasn't open yet and that is the best run there. It is not a super crowded mountain compared to VT mountains.

Also, just got back from a week at Whiteface.  Whiteface also is not a crowded spot either and has some really great runs (Skyward, Cloudsplitter, Mountain Run and a few of the glades are all top notch).  I have never skiied the Slides as they really only open up in the spring as they are too much of an avalanche risk during the main season.  It is a cold mountain but we kind of lucked out as it wasn't too brutal in temp departments but I remember skiing there about 20 years ago and it was below zero for like a week.  

Edited by Redwes25
  • Like 1

I am going Monday and I am unsure where to go. My brother has a place on west side of Denver near 70. So we will be doing a day trip.

Maybe Loveland? I am open to suggestions and will be going at least 3 days over the next 2 weeks.

I  have only been to Copper and Vail in the Denver area. Any other choice would be new to me.

Edited by MTskibum
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, MTskibum said:

I am going Monday and I am unsure where to go. My brother has a place on west side of Denver near 70. So we will be doing a day trip.

Maybe Loveland? I am open to suggestions and will be going at least 3 days over the next 2 weeks.

I  have only been to Copper and Vail in the Denver area. Any other choice would be new to me.

What is the level of the group you are skiing with? 

if you like moguls, winter park

a-basin gives a nice challenge.

Keystone, breck, vail, bc has more range... can be advanced or family friendly 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Drunken knight said:

What is the level of the group you are skiing with? 

if you like moguls, winter park

a-basin gives a nice challenge.

Keystone, breck, vail, bc has more range... can be advanced or family friendly 

I think we will do a few runs down some double blacks but mostly single blacks. Although I plan on snowboarding a few halfdays, ie board in the morning and ski in the afternoon. For snowboarding mostly blues with a couple single blacks.

I do want to spend one day at Arapahoe Basin, but probably the last day.

That still leaves one more ski hill that we need, probably one of Breckenridge, Keystone, or Winter Park.

I eventually want to ski them all, which I should be able to do by next year.

Edited by MTskibum
  • Like 1

@MTskibum

i am still partial to vail and beaver creek for the full experience.  I like trees/glades, and the bowls.  

you might have some fun at the further parts of keystone. 

• Like 1

Headed to Stevens' Pass this afternoon to ski tomorrow.   If we can make it through the pass (it's been closed every night this week due to avalanches/rockslides) we should be on 17" of fresh powder tomorrow.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Drunken knight said:

@MTskibum

i am still partial to vail and beaver creek for the full experience.  I like trees/glades, and the bowls.  

you might have some fun at the further parts of keystone. 

I would like to go to Beaver Creek eventually, but that would be a long day trip from Denver.

8 minutes ago, MTskibum said:

I would like to go to Beaver Creek eventually, but that would be a long day trip from Denver.

Only about 10 more minutes than vail (more or less)

On 2/18/2020 at 4:03 AM, Terminalxylem said:

Tomorrow. Gonna try and sneak another week in at Park City next month.

My last day skiing in 2020...had to cancel Park City as covid ramped up.

Going to Sun Valley next week. Will be the first time traveling since the pandemic began.

• Like 1
On 2/22/2021 at 5:43 AM, DA RAIDERS said:

Me too. But it doesn’t have to be in Canada. Trying to convince my regular ski group to fork out the $ before we’re too old to enjoy it.

ETA How’d you like J-Hole?

• Like 1
On 2/22/2021 at 7:07 AM, Mookie said:

I live 20 minutes from Sun Valley, Idaho.  We've been here for 30+ years and I have a full (free) ski pass because my wife works for the company.  I've only skied 3 days on the mountain this year, and have focused more on backcountry and nordic skiing.  The mountain seems more crowded, and I'm still a little too sketched out about COVID.  I'm spoiled, but I just don't feel comfortable with it.  

I bet the crowds are b/c of the Epic Pass. That’s why I’m going.

Any secret stashes you’re willing to recommend? Anything to do in Sun Valley besides skiing?

13 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

I’ve never been, but hear good things about eldora

Eldora is great for a small-medium resort, but too many big resorts off I-70 to pass up. Personally, I prefer Vail.

Beaver Creek and A-Basin are also nice, though polar opposites on the froufrou spectrum. I also liked Winter Park.

Edited by Terminalxylem
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Me too. But it doesn’t have to be in Canada. Trying to convince my regular ski group to fork out the $ before we’re too old to enjoy it.

ETA How’d you like J-Hole?

Loved it!  2nd time there. I’ll be back. 

And keep me in mind if you need another skier, for the heli skiing. I will most likely be going solo. 

• Thanks 1
On 2/27/2021 at 2:06 AM, Terminalxylem said:

I bet the crowds are b/c of the Epic Pass. That’s why I’m going.

Any secret stashes you’re willing to recommend? Anything to do in Sun Valley besides skiing?

A lot depends upon when you are here and the conditions.

If it snows or is snowing, hit Fire Trail, Central Park (the trees/glades on skier's right off Upper College, just past Upper River Run), the trees between Limelight and Upper Picabo's, and the glades/runs in the Frenchman's area.  All will retain snow, be less crowded, and have decent visibility.

If it's colder (highs of 32 or less) with no new snow, make sure to get on the lifts at 9 am and hit Lower College, Canyon, Mid River Run, Flying Squirrel, Greyhawk, and the runs on Seattle Ridge - all fast, fun, corduroy groomers, but they get skied off by noon.

If it's sunny, Mid-March or later, and the daytime high will get above 35, get a later start (10:30 or 11) and hit Ridge south slopes, Christmas Ridge, and then the bowls (Lefty's being my personal favorite) once they start to corn up (get a little slushy).  Try to hit the south facing slopes first as they will soften up quicker.  It's like skiing in a tub of margarine if you time it right.  

if you still have legs on a powder or spring day, ski the moguls on Holiday, Rock Garden, and Exhibition towards the end of the day.

I'm spoiled - the lift lines are generally nonexistent.  Mostly high speed quads and a sustained pitch from top to bottom.  You will be worked after 3-4 hours.  Don't forget sunscreen. 

Other - Nordic skiing and/or snowshoeing at Galena Lodge - spectacular drive.  Snowmobile rentals at Smiley Creek - even more spectacular drive over Galena Pass.  Drive to Stanley (spectacular 1.5 hour drive over Galena Pass) and eat lunch at Bridge Street Grill (food is decent, but the Sawtooth views are incredible) - nice hot springs about 15 minutes down river from there.  Near Stanley - Walk, snowshoe or cross country ski into Redfish Lake (about 1.5 miles each way). Target shooting at the SV Gun Club.  Frenchman's Hot Springs out Warm Springs.  Fly fishing on Big Wood River - Steelhead fishing on Salmon River (several guide shops in Ketchum).  Wander through the Gold Mine Thrift Store. 

Food - Get a Schooner of beer and a foul burger at Grumpy's.  Great steaks and massive potatoes at the Pioneer Saloon.  WrapCity, KB's burritos, Rickshaw, Desperados all really good cheaper options.  Beers and pub food on the deck at Lefty's on a sunny day.  Craft beers at Sawtooth Brewery (two locations - better food in Ketchum).  If you are driving up from the south (Salt Lake City or Boise), order take out from South Valley Pizza in Bellevue - best pizza in the Valley (thai chicken is my favorite).    

• Like 1
On 2/27/2021 at 1:47 AM, Terminalxylem said:

My last day skiing in 2020...had to cancel Park City as covid ramped up.

Going to Sun Valley next week. Will be the first time traveling since the pandemic began.

Sorry, didn't see this.  No snow in the forecast this week but sunny.  Monday- Wednesday, get early start and hammer the groomers.  Thursday and Friday get later start and chase the corn skiing (slopes that face more southerly, down Valley, aspects).  Weekend weather is too early to tell.