What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Skiing Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Headed to Stevens' Pass this afternoon to ski tomorrow.   If we can make it through the pass (it's been closed every night this week due to avalanches/rockslides) we should be on 17" of fresh powder tomorrow.
This was a sort of odd local trip.   Normally the local skiing of choice would be Crystal Mountain, but once they got bought by Ikon they created a nightmare that Covid made worse.   It's nearly impossible to get a weekend lift ticket if you don't have a season pass, and even if you manage to get one when you get there parking isn't guaranteed and if you arrive after 7-7:30 in the morning you may face a 2-hour backup that ends with being turned around (this happened on Saturday as well).

So we booked Stevens Pass, which is an issue because with the dumping snow the pass closed for at least part of the day every day for a week, including as we were driving up there.   Finally made it, had one day of great conditions with about 10" powder overnight.   Some little out of control grommet on a snowboard cut across me without looking at the base of a run and caused me to make an awkward turn to avoid him.   Wrenched my bad knee and my hip and I'm still paying for it two days later.   

That's probably it for me this year because local is so bad now, so I'm thinking next year will be a week somewhere like Deer Valley.   Will see what happens with Covid and book a trip at the end of summer.   My daughter will be a senior in high school, so it may be our last ski trip together for a while. 

Snowboarded at loveland today. All of the lifts were open, but the lift going to the ridge should have been closed due to lack of snow.

Fair bit of exposed rocks in the moguls as well, but still had a good time.

First time boarding in 10 years and managed to do a few black diamonds, but mostly stuck to the blues on my board.

I like the highspeed quad at the base that had good access to the double blacks. I did ski 2 double blacks at the end of the day. At copper mountain and vail there are no good double blacks accessible from the first lift. Getting to double blacks quickly is nice.

I need to research where to go on Thursday. The snow conditions are not great and I am unsure which resort is least affected.

This was a sort of odd local trip.   Normally the local skiing of choice would be Crystal Mountain, but once they got bought by Ikon they created a nightmare that Covid made worse.   It's nearly impossible to get a weekend lift ticket if you don't have a season pass, and even if you manage to get one when you get there parking isn't guaranteed and if you arrive after 7-7:30 in the morning you may face a 2-hour backup that ends with being turned around (this happened on Saturday as well).

So we booked Stevens Pass, which is an issue because with the dumping snow the pass closed for at least part of the day every day for a week, including as we were driving up there.   Finally made it, had one day of great conditions with about 10" powder overnight.   Some little out of control grommet on a snowboard cut across me without looking at the base of a run and caused me to make an awkward turn to avoid him.   Wrenched my bad knee and my hip and I'm still paying for it two days later.   

That's probably it for me this year because local is so bad now, so I'm thinking next year will be a week somewhere like Deer Valley.   Will see what happens with Covid and book a trip at the end of summer.   My daughter will be a senior in high school, so it may be our last ski trip together for a while. 
i will do deer valley with you, in a heartbeat!!  just got back from there, yesterday.  we love it.

Snowboarded at loveland today. All of the lifts were open, but the lift going to the ridge should have been closed due to lack of snow.

Fair bit of exposed rocks in the moguls as well, but still had a good time.

First time boarding in 10 years and managed to do a few black diamonds, but mostly stuck to the blues on my board.

I like the highspeed quad at the base that had good access to the double blacks. I did ski 2 double blacks at the end of the day. At copper mountain and vail there are no good double blacks accessible from the first lift. Getting to double blacks quickly is nice.

I need to research where to go on Thursday. The snow conditions are not great and I am unsure which resort is least affected.
There isn't much steep terrain at Vail at all. Still nothing better than the bowls on a powder day.

ETA: Unfortunately, there is exposed rock everywhere in the Rockies right now. Prime example is High and North Face lifts open at Crested Butte, which is great, but you have to watch where you are going. Still 20-30 inches short of where you want the base. Not a great season for the southern Rockies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mookie said:
Sorry, didn't see this.  No snow in the forecast this week but sunny.  Monday- Wednesday, get early start and hammer the groomers.  Thursday and Friday get later start and chase the corn skiing (slopes that face more southerly, down Valley, aspects).  Weekend weather is too early to tell.
Thanks for all the info - first day on the mountain tomorrow  :hifive:

Apple Jack said:
There isn't much steep terrain at Vail at all. Still nothing better than the bowls on a powder day.

ETA: Unfortunately, there is exposed rock everywhere in the Rockies right now. Prime example is High and North Face lifts open at Crested Butte, which is great, but you have to watch where you are going. Still 20-30 inches short of where you want the base. Not a great season for the southern Rockies.
Yeah, the steepest runs at Vail are frontside, and not really that great. The Bowls/Blue Sky are where it’s at - Steep and Deep and Lover’s Leap are probably the most fun steeper terrain, though they’re fairly short.

I think I will get that next year. 

However since I do not have it this year I am going to winter park tomorrow. I will avoid the epic pass places this year.
Although Epic places end up more crowded, the pass is definitely worth it if you ski a week or so per season. I’ve heard good things about Ikon as well, but it used to only be a couple days per resort were covered. That may have changed though.

Although Epic places end up more crowded, the pass is definitely worth it if you ski a week or so per season. I’ve heard good things about Ikon as well, but it used to only be a couple days per resort were covered. That may have changed though.
I think I am going to start going 5-10 times a year. I will look into an Ikon pass as well.

I guess tomorrow I am going to A-basin. I just went to buy my Winter Park tickets and they have a policy where you need to get tickets 48 hours in advance. Maybe next week for them.

Ikon has both unlimited resorts and limited day locations. Usually a week. 

Sorry, didn't see this.  No snow in the forecast this week but sunny.  Monday- Wednesday, get early start and hammer the groomers.  Thursday and Friday get later start and chase the corn skiing (slopes that face more southerly, down Valley, aspects).  Weekend weather is too early to tell.
All your recs have been great. Thanks a lot!

You didn’t mention any of the new Sunrise terrain. If you haven’t checked it out, you should. While the Sunrise bowl has been closed, the gladed runs and chutes are excellent. We did a few laps there today, and I really liked the Numbers area - great, consistent pitch with trees of all spacing from which to choose. If we get any fresh snow I’m heading there as early as possible.

Anyway, thanks again.

You didn’t mention any of the new Sunrise terrain. If you haven’t checked it out, you should. While the Sunrise bowl has been closed, the gladed runs and chutes are excellent. We did a few laps there today, and I really liked the Numbers area - great, consistent pitch with trees of all spacing from which to choose. If we get any fresh snow I’m heading there as early as possible.

Anyway, thanks again.
Sunrise Bowl was open...crusted ice and slush. Less than ideal. But the glades to skiers’ left and furthest Cold Spring Chute still held good, relatively untracked snow. 👍

Terminalxylem said:

Anyway, thanks again.
Hope you had a great time.  I have yet to ski the Sunrise area.  It was closed early season, and I just haven't skied much this year.

Hope you had a great time.  I have yet to ski the Sunrise area.  It was closed early season, and I just haven't skied much this year.
They closed the area again yesterday, but I highly recommend it when you the chance. The bowl doesn’t look much different than those elsewhere on the mountain, but the stuff between the trees is spectacular. I like the Glades best, followed closely by the Cold Springs Chutes and Numbers.

I booked Easter 3/31-4/3 at Winter Park (never been there before) for my wife and 2 boys -  wife and boys worked hard on the local hill this year with their lessons and got competent so I'm ready to show them what they did all that learning for!

Storm chasing. Drove to Mammoth last night. The wife was the initiator!  Currently have flurries.   Be here through sat
What is the snow quality like there? I know it dumps but is it safe to assume that it's like Tahoe where you don't really know what it's going to be like until you're in it and it is frequently on the wet side?

What is the snow quality like there? I know it dumps but is it safe to assume that it's like Tahoe where you don't really know what it's going to be like until you're in it and it is frequently on the wet side?
It always heavier.  Nature of the beast  

It’s pretty cold, so this storm will be nice. The elephant snot, snow happens when it’s 40+ all the time.    

alrighty...

Spent three days on Northstar with my wife, enjoying the Ritz, which is an excellent Tahoe property. We're not high rollers, we used Marriott points for the stay. Had a wonderful time.

Next to last day, we get out early for some runs. Runs are mostly groomed, a bit icy from the previous days warm weather that iced over night. We hit a wonderful run on Powder Bowl, then make our way to Castle Peak.

Next think I know, I'm in our car making our way to our hotel. Seems I took a spill, knocked myself out, and got helicoptered to the trauma center in Reno. Spent most of the day there undergoing tests, and was released. Holy crap.

A few days on, I am sore as F. What I thought was a lat tear is acting more like a cracked or broken rib now. Coughs, hiccups, sneezes, sitting up from bed. Super painful. My ankles swelled a lot, and are now bruising. I'm lightheaded. But all in all, i feel headed in the right direction. But I have no idea what happened. My wife was 200 yards behind me and doesn't know. I think I hit an ice patch.

That's it for me this season. I'm thankful for my health. I'm sad too. Hasn't been easy. Guess it's not always smooth turns and apres ski. 

Be safe everyone. Never know when you may need that extra bit of attention.

Whoa.  Glad you’re ok!

Just got back from Tahoe as well. Skied mt rose, great little hill that i hit on a sweet powder day. 

Skied squaw as well. Crusty hard pack, with spots of powder, if you got lucky. North Bowl was pretty sweet. 

Heading to north Lake Tahoe tomorrow  :pickle:

alpine on Sunday... just the guys.

Homewood on Monday with the kids
We had some drama with this trip. Daughter is a freshman on cheer and lacrosse teams.

on Monday, cheer implemented mandatory games and practices over spring break. We had a chat with the coach.. compromise is:

-daughter is going to a game today in Marin (so leaving at 1p instead of now)

- she will do a zoom practice on Monday 

- we are going to come back on Wednesday for an afternoon practice (originally Saturday)

Last edited by a moderator:
We had some drama with this trip. Daughter is a freshman on cheer and lacrosse teams.

on Monday, cheer implemented mandatory games and practices over spring break. We had a chat with the coach.. compromise is:

- we are going to come back on Wednesday for an afternoon practice (originally Saturday)
That is inconsiderate of the coach. Let kids have their spring break.

Those few practices do not matter in the long run.

That is inconsiderate of the coach. Let kids have their spring break.

Those few practices do not matter in the long run.
The coach is young and doesn't comprehend navigating family vacations. I get that they have new routines that need to be practiced, but it was going to hinder future events after spring break.

Covid was a big influence on this. Since summer, everything has been unpredictable with practices (live vs zoom).  The football season just started here. The school has not had any history of mandatory activities during spring break, and we even reviewed this with her 2 weeks ago.  My only issue was the spontaneous decision to have mandatory events during spring break ...5 days prior to our trip.

alrighty...

Spent three days on Northstar with my wife, enjoying the Ritz, which is an excellent Tahoe property. We're not high rollers, we used Marriott points for the stay. Had a wonderful time.

Next to last day, we get out early for some runs. Runs are mostly groomed, a bit icy from the previous days warm weather that iced over night. We hit a wonderful run on Powder Bowl, then make our way to Castle Peak.

Next think I know, I'm in our car making our way to our hotel. Seems I took a spill, knocked myself out, and got helicoptered to the trauma center in Reno. Spent most of the day there undergoing tests, and was released. Holy crap.

A few days on, I am sore as F. What I thought was a lat tear is acting more like a cracked or broken rib now. Coughs, hiccups, sneezes, sitting up from bed. Super painful. My ankles swelled a lot, and are now bruising. I'm lightheaded. But all in all, i feel headed in the right direction. But I have no idea what happened. My wife was 200 yards behind me and doesn't know. I think I hit an ice patch.

That's it for me this season. I'm thankful for my health. I'm sad too. Hasn't been easy. Guess it's not always smooth turns and apres ski. 

Be safe everyone. Never know when you may need that extra bit of attention.
Dang.  

I assume Castle Peak is a blue?  To me, the worst damage on a wipeout is when you are on level ground.  I'd much rather skid 200 feet, with energy dissipating, that just flip over, and stop dead, with your body absorbing the impact.  

When I was learning to ski, I was so annoyed at falling over one time, I just decided to tuck and have one big crash at the end, rather than a bunch of little ones.  :lol:   I was completely out of control.  My crash beginning to end must have been 300 yards.  Didn't get a scratch.  Popped up like it was no big deal, and people were running over to see if I was dead.  

Feel better, man.  

Drunken knight said:
The coach is young and doesn't comprehend navigating family vacations. I get that they have new routines that need to be practiced, but it was going to hinder future events after spring break.

Covid was a big influence on this. Since summer, everything has been unpredictable with practices (live vs zoom).  The football season just started here. The school has not had any history of mandatory activities during spring break, and we even reviewed this with her 2 weeks ago.  My only issue was the spontaneous decision to have mandatory events during spring break ...5 days prior to our trip.
That's a teaching moment for a young coach. Way too late for that kind of call and could come at a financial cost for families who've made plans, such as yours. 

massraider said:
Dang.  

I assume Castle Peak is a blue?  To me, the worst damage on a wipeout is when you are on level ground.  I'd much rather skid 200 feet, with energy dissipating, that just flip over, and stop dead, with your body absorbing the impact.  

When I was learning to ski, I was so annoyed at falling over one time, I just decided to tuck and have one big crash at the end, rather than a bunch of little ones.  :lol:   I was completely out of control.  My crash beginning to end must have been 300 yards.  Didn't get a scratch.  Popped up like it was no big deal, and people were running over to see if I was dead.  

Feel better, man.  
Thanks man. Yes, it's a blue. Long, wide, plenty of opportunity to control your line. It's a great run, not dangerous. I'm still at a total loss. I'm usually with you on the slow, level stuff. Wipeouts on cat trails happen and suck for snowboarders. Not going fast but hard to keep a line and then you catch an edge. But you're not going fast, so damage is minimal usually. I think this time I was probably going around 30 mph and just ate it and tumbled. The first hit knocked me out, the tumble did the damage to my feet, ankles and ribs.

Tomorrow is two weeks to the day. Healing is slow going, slower than anticipated. But I'm grateful. Could have been worse.

Drunken knight said:

##### move by the coach.  That kind of ####, chaps my hide. 

That's a teaching moment for a young coach. Way too late for that kind of call and could come at a financial cost for families who've made plans, such as yours. 

##### move by the coach.  That kind of ####, chaps my hide. 
Yeah... we are very conscientious about school and activities. 

So, yeah... there are the financials, but in this case we need some time away as a family.  SIP started last year when we went up to Tahoe for her spring break.  We have not had a family trip this year and have had to cancel other trips due to covid. 

Anybody ski on Stockli's in here?  About to buy the Laser ARs for 870 bucks (1250 retail).  Good time for deals and besides graphics - who cares - they aren't changing the ski for 2022.  About a 30% discount.

Anybody ski on Stockli's in here?  About to buy the Laser ARs for 870 bucks (1250 retail).  Good time for deals and besides graphics - who cares - they aren't changing the ski for 2022.  About a 30% discount.
Where are you purchasing from? Do you have a good online site that has discounts? \

I am going to start skiing more and more these next few years.

Where are you purchasing from? Do you have a good online site that has discounts? \

Do you have a local place that will let you rent for a season, and exchange demos?  I used to do this, then purchase used demos I liked at the end of the season

A friend in Vail.  You can find them online for a grand (20% off), it's that time of year.  Although I've noticed some sizes are gone at certain shops.  I'm waiting still waiting to hear back, but when I do, I'll pass along the info if you want.

Do you have a local place that will let you rent for a season, and exchange demos?  I used to do this, then purchase used demos I liked at the end of the season
There is sun and ski sports, but that is the only place in Houston that I am aware of. The online prices do not seem to be very discounted. Years ago I remember getting 50% off at end of season sales, but I was never picky on the brand.

I am fairly confident that I can purchase without riding them before hand. I want something that is light and somewhere between an all mountain ski and a mogul ski.

I can either snowboard or use my current skis if there is a powder day, so getting something that does not work on powder days is not an issue.

A friend in Vail.  You can find them online for a grand (20% off), it's that time of year.  Although I've noticed some sizes are gone at certain shops.  I'm waiting still waiting to hear back, but when I do, I'll pass along the info if you want.
I am more curious if you know of shops that are offering steep discounts. I have siblings/parents in the denver area that could pick something up for me if there was a great deal.

I was going to do this and have demo'd many times in preparation to buy.  However I've come to the conclusion that the savings isn't worth the tradeoff in not knowing where those ski's have been.  Some of them are beat to ####.  Yes, they fix them back up but still, people put those things to the test.  Would you buy a rental car? 

Skis aren't that expensive.  At my age, I've decided to just go with the best ski I can find.  And get some savings by buying this (last) year's model.  Again, the only difference is graphics (and 30%).  I feel confident I'll be riding on better skis made with better materials for not a whole lot more.

The guy that pointed me to the Stocklis does this for a living.  I wanted Volkl, he said no, the Stockli is a better ski.  I researched it for a night and am convinced his guidance is better than any decisions I would be making by demo'ing a bunch of skis all day and hearing their pitch on their selection/contract of skis.

I was going to do this and have demo'd many times in preparation to buy.  However I've come to the conclusion that the savings isn't worth the tradeoff in not knowing where those ski's have been.  Some of them are beat to ####.  Yes, they fix them back up but still, people put those things to the test.  Would you buy a rental car? 

Skis aren't that expensive.  At my age, I've decided to just go with the best ski I can find.  And get some savings by buying this (last) year's model.  Again, the only difference is graphics (and 30%).  I feel confident I'll be riding on better skis made with better materials for not a whole lot more.

The guy that pointed me to the Stocklis does this for a living.  I wanted Volkl, he said no, the Stockli is a better ski.  I researched it for a night and am convinced his guidance is better than any decisions I would be making by demo'ing a bunch of skis all day and hearing their pitch on their selection/contract of skis.
I worked at Vail Cascade for 4 years. We had 2 rental places at the resort. Staff was great with me.  I would pay a flat fee, and they would let me try different skis throughout the season. At the end, if I purchased, they would knock the fee off of the discounted purchase.  I recall being surprised by disliking certain ones I thought I would love (ie: there were some volkl I really wanted to try but felt terrible on the mountain), and vice versa. It worked out well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread