What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Jonathan Williams, Lions (1 Viewer)

Pro Football Focus calls Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams the class' second most underrated runner.

The site believes Williams would have been one of the top runners in the class of 2014 had he declared. Williams elected to return to school and suffered a season-ending foot injury in August, depressing his draft stock. He tested well at the Arkansas Pro Day. In 2014, Williams forced 65 missed tackles and was the nation's 12th-best RB, according to PFF. 
Apr 13 - 6:08 PM

Source: Pro Football Focus

NFL Draft Scout's Frank Cooney wrote of Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams that "scouts could be hesitant to invest an early pick in a back that missed all of last year."
When healthy, [Williams] shows the elusiveness, burst and power to project nicely to the NFL," Cooney noted, "but scouts could be hesitant to invest an early pick in a back that missed all of last year." The 5-foot-11, 220-pounder suffered a left foot injury which required surgery before the start of the 2015 campaign. He is still working his way back from the bum boot, perhaps a reason why he managed just 4.59 seconds in the 40-yard dash during his Pro Day. Cooney was less than impressed by that mark, though it is reasonable to expect that Williams could run faster in the NFL the further removed he becomes from his foot woes. NFL Films' Greg Cosell cares not for these injury questions, though, and indicated in late March that he sees Williams being in the same tier as consensus No. 1 RB Ezekiel Elliott. That is a stretch in our books. 

Apr 10 - 6:39 PM

Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein believes that Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams could represent a steal in April's draft.

"Williams has been "out of sight, out of mind" after missing the 2015 season due to a foot injury. While he didn't "wow" the crowd at the Reese's Senior Bowl (after being out for an entire season) or his [P]ro [D]ay," Zierlein noted, "Williams possesses loose hips and good foot quickness." The analyst has previously compared him to former Alabama and current Jaguars back T.J. Yeldon, while NFL Films' Greg Cosell has gone so far as to say that he belongs in the same tier as consensus No. 1 RB Ezekiel Elliott. That is too rich for our blood. It's too rich for NFL Media's Chad Reuter, too, as in his five-round mock draft published on Monday, Reuter failed to type in Williams' name until he pegged him to the Giants with pick No. 109, in the fourth round. Mar 29 - 7:27 PM

Films' Greg Cosell believes Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams is in the same tier as Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott.

Just to refresh your memory, Williams missed the entire 2015 season and Senior Bowl with a foot injury, so there is an "injury factor" at play here. "I think he's a little quicker, laterally, than Elliott," Cosell began when discussing Williams. "He has all the traits... to function well in an NFL environment." Needless to say, this is high praise. Williams split carries with Alex Collins during his time at Arkansas, and most believe Collins is the superior prospect. Mar 23 - 10:34 AM

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein compared Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams to Jaguars RB T.J. Yeldon.

Williams missed the 2015 regular season with a foot injury, but in his last healthy campaign back in 2014, he rushed for 1,190 yards (5.6 YPC) and 12 touchdowns. Zierlein believes, "Williams is one of the more creative runners in tight quarters that you will find in this draft, but teams won't have to sacrifice too much toughness in order to take advantage of his slashing style." Keep an eye on his NFL Scouting Combine physical results next week, as they could be key to determining his position in the draft. While fellow NFL Media-er Chad Reuter doesn't have Williams being drafted in the first four rounds in his most recent mock draft, he does include him as a player worthy of being selected in that range.

Just watched his two games on DB and there's some good and bad. He does a good job keeping his feet moving and his eyes down field. This means that he's able to put some nice moves on defenders but it also means he sacrifices having a strong base. He can generate decent power when he wants to because of his compact build. I question his speed and explosion quite a bit. The movement speed of his feet and the amount he moves them work well against college defenses but in the NFL it may be a disadvantage. It just takes too much time and the windows close too fast. His burst and speed aren't on a high enough level to kill a defense on a single play. His vision and passing down skills can be enough that if left unchecked he will cut up a defense pretty bad.

For fantasy he may still be able to carve out a nice roll as a 3rd down/rotational back. He can still run draws or stay in for an entire series but I'm not sure if he can be a full game grinder. The way the NFL is now and PPR being so common, calling a guy a 3rd down back isn't even a knock on him anyone. 

Greg Cosell was very complimentary of this kid. He did a good breakdown with another FF site guru among fantasy picks. He liked JW a lot.

Bills selected Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams with the No. 156 overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft.
Williams (5'11/220) was an emerging star before he missed the entire 2015 season with a foot injury that required surgery, earning second-team All-SEC as a junior and logging a 406-2,321-16 (5.72 YPC) career rushing line with 26 receptions. Williams recovered in time for the Razorbacks' Pro Day, running 4.63 and excelling in agility drills. Quick footed with surprising lateral elusiveness for his size, Williams also flashed passing-game chops before his injury. If he's fully recovered, Williams has the skill set of an NFL feature back.

Apr 30 - 2:45 PM

Sal Capaccio of WGR 550 Buffalo said fifth-round RB Jonathan Williams "looked very steady" during OTAs.
Rookies often have a tough time adjusting to the speed of the NFL but Capaccio said Williams never looked "out of place" at OTAs. It might be hard for Williams to carve a role for himself with LeSean McCoy and Karlos Williams ahead of him on the depth chart. Head coach Rex Ryan also praised the performances of Mike Gillislee and James Wilder during OTAs. Running back is going to be a position to watch at Bills camp this summer.

Source: WGR 550 Buffalo 
Jun 24 - 7:08 PM

Karlos shows up fat, and now rookie Jonathan Williams gets busted for DWI.

Bump Gilleslie?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/14/bills-jonathan-williams-arrested-for-dwi/

Bills’ Jonathan Williams arrested for DWI

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 14, 2016, 9:31 AM EDT
Bills running back Jonathan Williams was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated early this morning in Arkansas.

According to Little Rock television station KATV, Williams was taken into custody and booked around 3:20 a.m. by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

Williams played his college football at Arkansas and was drafted by the Bills in the fifth round this year.

The 5-foot-11, 220-pound Williams had a very good junior season in 2014, carrying 211 times for 1,190 yards and 12 touchdowns. In the summer of 2015 he suffered a foot injury and missed his entire senior season.

Williams is joining a crowded backfield in Buffalo, with LeSean McCoy as the incumbent starter and youngsters Karlos Williams and Mike Gillislee sure to get plenty of time. This arrest won’t do Williams any favors in his quest to earn playing time with the Bills.

ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak expects rookie RB Jonathan Williams to avoid a 2016 suspension for his DUI arrest.
Williams will likely face a suspension in 2017, but the NFL has recently been letting DUI cases play out rather than taking action before a judgment is handed down. Following Karlos Williams' offseason weight balloon and four-game suspension, Jonathan has an outside chance to open the season as LeSean McCoy's primary backup. At present time, Mike Gillislee is the favorite for that role.

Source: Mike Clay on Twitter 
Jul 18 - 11:00 PM

With Karlos Williams showing up to OTA''s out of shape & then being suspended for the first 4 games, Williams is going to have plenty of opportunity in TC & preseason to secure the #2 RB spot. 

The Bills are the most run heavy offense in the league & led the league in rushing last season so if he wins that #2 spot, he will get a bunch of touches the first 4 weeks. Gillisee is alright but nothing special so I can see Jonathan Williams taking control of that back up role behind Shady. 

I'm from Arkansas - I like J/Williams

He blew his chance here big time IMO. That little DWI stunt will set him back and maybe to a place he can't ever come back from. With McCoy/Karlos already ahead of you, making mistakes isn't an option.

Been very quiet in here lately... Karlos now on the street; Gilislee just left the game with a concussion.  

His is competition is falling by the wayside to be that 2nd in line to a dude that tends to get banged up. 

Jonathan Williams rushed six times for 15 yards and a touchdown Saturday against the Giants.

He added two catches for 11 yards. Williams had a couple nice moments against the Giants, but the real story was his spot on the depth chart. Williams worked as the third back behind LeSean McCoy and Reggie Bush even before Mike Gillislee went down with a concussion. It is unlikely Bush would take over as the three-down back if McCoy were to go down, and Williams looks to be the next in line for early-down work. That said, the backup situation in Buffalo is extremely fluid.

Bills rookie RB Jonathan Williams left Friday night's preseason game with an undisclosed injury.
Williams was pile driven to the ground at the end of a play, and coach Rex Ryan was seen having a furious reaction on the sideline. The injury didn't necessarily appear serious. Williams finished with with 11 carries for 42 yards and a touchdown, with most of his gains coming on an impressive 37-yard scoring jaunt. Williams also caught one pass for two yards. He is the Bills' No. 4 back behind Shady McCoy, Reggie Bush, and Mike Gillislee.

Aug 26 - 11:47 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Bills rookie RB Jonathan Williams is "fine" after suffering a rib injury in the third preseason game Friday night.
Williams had to leave the game after being body slammed at the end of a play, but the injury should not cost him much time. Even with LeSean McCoy sitting out, Williams worked behind Reggie Bush on Friday. He will open the season as at best the No. 3 back, and he is likely still behind Mike Gillislee as well.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Any updates on the BUF RBs.  If I grab McCoy who is the best handcuff?

Bush - No Interest

Gillislee - I watched him last year and wasn't overly impressed, don't think he can realistically take over for McCoy and come close to producing same results.

Williams - He's still listed behind MG on depth chart, but seems like the guy that has the ability to take over for McCoy if he goes down.

Any recent updates? 

Bush - No Interest

Gillislee - I watched him last year and wasn't overly impressed, don't think he can realistically take over for McCoy and come close to producing same results.

Williams - He's still listed behind MG on depth chart, but seems like the guy that has the ability to take over for McCoy if he goes down.

Any recent updates? 
I don't think trying to compare any of them to McCoy is the way to go. Just because Mike is not McCoy, doesn't mean he can't be relevant. You ask for updates then discount Bush because no interest? lol He very well may play a decent role in the passing game.

Bush - No Interest

Any recent updates? 
I think Rex Ryan said that Gillislee is the #2RB, on paper at least. If something happens to McCoy I would expect it to be RBBC between him and Williams and if one of them seizes the opportunity then that is the guy that will start to get more carries.  It could easily be a week-to-week situation.

I don't think trying to compare any of them to McCoy is the way to go. Just because Mike is not McCoy, doesn't mean he can't be relevant. You ask for updates then discount Bush because no interest? lol He very well may play a decent role in the passing game.
I agree that Bush gets PT right off the bat, but I'm trying to identify McCoy's handcuff, and Bush is not that guy.  Karlos Williams (not Gillislie) was that guy last year and he did a great job of replacing McCoy's points last year when given the chance.  

Jonathan Williams is the best replacement for Karlos Williams in terms of running style. But he appears to be running behind Gillislee right now. Gillislee isn't that physical type of runner that Karlos/Jonathan are and I would prefer to have that type of guy as the #2. It was fantastic last year.

Williams hasn't had an overly impressive camp. He hasn't forced the Bills to slot him as the backup. He has intrigue because of his skillset, but hasn't turned enough heads to warrant being the backup right now. Part of that is because of the amount of RBs the team has had this off-season.

There is a lot of unknown as to who would see the snaps if Shady gets hurt. Rex said Gillislee. Rodak (whom I despise as he is as much anti-Buffalo as a Buffalo reporter could be) said it would be Bush. In terms of style Williams would be the ideal choice.

This could be one of those situations where we have to wait to see how Week 1 unfolds. If the Bills are able to run is often as they want, the #2 is going to get some touches during the game when Shady is getting a breather. That's how Karlos ended up snagging so many TDs last season as McCoy would be out there to get them down the field and Karlos would come in while McCoy needed a rest and would score.

Bush will have some involvement, but I think the telltale sign of who the #2 will be is who comes in when McCoy needs a breather, as Bush may have some designed plays etc specifically for him. I believe, down the stretch, Jonathan Williams will be the guy. Gillislee has some nice runs, but his stats don't tell the whole story. He's one of those boom or bust type of runners where he's locked down and then has 1 big run to make his stat line look good. Bush isn't someone I would rely on and I hope the team isn't planning to.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak calls sophomore Jonathan Williams the team's "most likely" replacement for Mike Gillislee behind LeSean McCoy.

A fifth-round pick last year, Williams is in a quietly terrific spot at the moment. The Bills' offense is naturally rushing friendly, and McCoy has battled injuries to both of his hamstrings the past two seasons. McCoy turns 29 in July. The Bills may add a running back in this week's draft, although it seems unlikely to be with a high pick. Williams' Dynasty value is rising, and he has a chance to become a 2017 re-draft factor, as well.

Source: ESPN.com 
Apr 24 - 5:33 PM

With the Bills not selecting an RB in the draft J. Williams stock has to be on the rise now. Interested to see how the buzz is in training camp and how he does in pre-season

Jonathan Williams said he recognizes the opportunity Mike Gillislee's exit has created, but he is "trying to take it one day at a time and keep getting better."
The coaches will like these comments, but the No. 2 job is clearly Williams' to lose. Underdrafted in the fifth round last year because of an injury which cost him his final season in college, Williams is also talented enough to take advantage of the role which netted Gillislee 110 touches last season, albeit under a different coaching staff. Williams is a buy in Dynasty and could become a re-draft contributor as well in 2017.

Source: Buffalo News 
May 30 - 8:43 AM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Bills RB Jonathan Williams will not face league discipline after being found not guilty in his 2016 DUI case.

Williams was arrested in Arkansas a year ago, but he was found not guilty earlier this month. With both the legal and league issues behind him, Williams can focus on winning the No. 2 job behind LeSean McCoy. Mike Gillislee rode that role to 627 total yards and nine touchdowns last season.

WKBW's Joe Buscaglia confirms second-year RB Jonathan Williams is getting "every opportunity" to win the Bills' No. 2 running back role.

Buscaglia says the Bills have shown "a lot of confidence" in Williams, and "it's on him now" to secure the backup role to LeSean McCoy. McCoy has battled knee and two hamstring injuries over the past two seasons, although he's missed only five games. Each of the Bills' last two No. 2 running backs -- Karlos Williams and Mike Gillislee -- had standalone fantasy value behind McCoy.

Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter 

Jul 30 - 2:16 PM

How hard can it be to beat out Joe Banyard, Cedric O'Neil & Jordan Johnson?
He's not really competing against them, but rather the many vet free agent RB's on the street. If they don't bring in one of them, that's a great sign for what they think of Williams. If they do sign another RB, then they must not envision Williams as the eventual successor to McCoy. By this point in his career, he should be able to distinguish himself.

Bills RB Jonathan Williams suffered a hamstring injury in Thursday night's preseason opener.

The extent is unknown, but hamstring problems are always concerning for skill-position players. Williams shined before going down, turning five touches into 46 yards. He is the favorite for No. 2 back duties behind LeSean McCoy.

Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter 

Aug 10 - 10:31 PM

Bills waived RB Jonathan Williams.

Williams dealt with a few injuries during the preseason, but he was healthy for the finale and fully expected to open the season as the No. 2 back behind LeSean McCoy. Buffalo seemed to be planning for this move, however, keeping six backs on their initial roster. With Williams gone, FB Mike Tolbert looks like McCoy's primary backup. Shady should get as much work as he can handle.

Related: Bills

Sep 3 - 1:45 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually saw this coming after their last preseason game. He played into the the 2nd half, it didn't make any sense at the time unless he was being showcased/on the bubble.

Users who are viewing this thread