Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Jonathan Williams, Lions

Faust

13 minutes ago, EBF said:

Does he have some off-field problems? Otherwise this is puzzling. He looked like one of the better backup RBs in the league.

Gotta be something more behind this. Some kind of looming suspension and/or legal trouble or something :unsure:

IIRC, he was facing a DWI charge but eventually found not guilty and avoided suspension. Maybe he pushed his luck? This is just weird.

Edited by whiskey7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, whiskey7 said:

Gotta be something more behind this. Some kind of looming suspension and/or legal trouble or something :unsure:

This. I smell a suspension for something. That said, he's too talented not to get picked up by someone. Actually, for dynasty leagues, it could be a blessing that he got cut by the Bills and has the chance to join a decent team 

Edited by FGITLOTR
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FGITLOTR said:

This. I smell a suspension for something. That said, he's too talented not to get picked up by someone. Actually, for dynasty leagues, it could be a blessing that he got cut by the Bills and has the chance to join a decent team 

Ian Rapaport is saying no injury or suspension coming, just a surprise cut. 

Where's the tank emoji?

• Like 1

Arian Foster was cut late his rookie year. He resigned with the Texans and had a decent fantasy career.

Unlikely for Williams but still a strong hold at this point. There are worse options than him in my opinon still on rosters.

Edited by PHall
Accidentally underlined
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dope said:

can anyone think of a similar situation where:

a young RB is cut late and goes onto success with another team in the same season?

I cant think of any. his dynasty value just plummeted.

Concur. I think he's a marginal talent, still surprised as there isn't much respectable depth at RB in Buffalo.

It's official: the Bills are determined to tank their season. 

The trades seemed like that kind of sign, but going with 174 year old Tolbert as RB2 is insanity. Especially considering how effective he's looked this preseason.

I drafted him in the 3rd to last round as a lottery ticket - it's just nuts they dropped him. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

44 minutes ago, Dope said:

a young RB is cut late and goes onto success with another team in the same season?

Not exactly the same, but Ryan Grant was traded from the Giants to the Packers (for a 6th round pick) just before final cuts were announced in 2007, and he ended up taking over the starting RB job by midseason (rushing for 956 yards and saving many a fantasy season).

Edited by [scooter]
  • Like 2

Just now, [scooter] said:

Not exactly the same, but Ryan Grant was traded from the Giants to the Packers just before final cuts were announced in 2007, and he ended up taking over the starting RB job by midseason (rushing for 956 yards and saving many a fantasy season).

Great memory. That was the first year of my work league (still going strong) and the guy who picked himup mid-seas0n won the inaugural championship.

1 hour ago, Dope said:

1 hour ago, Dope said:

Since when has a team done any of the stuff Buffalo is doing this off-season?

1 minute ago, Moonlight said:

Just seems like there's something more here then we know. Some type of character issue.

Agreed. He's a 5th round pick in the 2nd year of his rookie contract. He should have made the team even if he was the 4th string RB. He did something.

1 hour ago, thehoch said:

The Jonathan Williams cut makes sense. You can't play in the NFL and have your mind on composing music for the next Jurassic Park movie.

Was that your tweet? G Double T or whatever?

Edited by PIK95

1 minute ago, Streetduck said:

He's the knucklehead because the Bills cut him? :no:

The only way this makes sense is Williams made some knucklehead mistake.  I cannot think of any reason the Bills would otherwise make such a move.  It is not a performance issue.  It is not a salary cap move.  It is not an injury settlement.  The Bills don't have excess depth at the position.  Joe Banyard looked solid, and I guess he is worth putting in a claim for now, but there must be more to this story than we are presently hearing.  

• Like 1

Makes no sense whatsoever.  If the bills were trying to throw away the season to rebuild and grab darnold next year, trade McCoy and start Jonathan williams.  

By all accounts, williams had a great training camp and preseason.  He is healthy and had a great game last week.   Makes zero sense.  I really hope he lands on a Rb starved team like the giants and takes over. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rickyg said:

By all accounts, williams had a great training camp and preseason.  He is healthy and had a great game last week.   Makes zero sense.  I really hope he lands on a Rb starved team like the giants and takes over. 

I'm surprised because they lack depth, but truth be told, he is a mediocre RB. He had a great game last week against scrubs, most of whom do not have NFL jobs today.

Let's not kid ourselves here, this guy is averaging less than 3.5 yards per carry since turning pro and simply does not and will not carry the load for any team in the NFL.

21 minutes ago, Casting Couch said:

I'm surprised because they lack depth, but truth be told, he is a mediocre RB. He had a great game last week against scrubs, most of whom do not have NFL jobs today.

Let's not kid ourselves here, this guy is averaging less than 3.5 yards per carry since turning pro and simply does not and will not carry the load for any team in the NFL.

He averaged 3.5 yards a carry (27 carries) during his rookie year, coming back from a major injury that ended his college career and dropped him in the draft. It's  pretty limited sample size since turning pro, especially coming off the injury and missing most of last years offseason.

He looked like a better player this offseason, starting 3 preseason games and averaging close to 6 yards a carry.

He's not a superstar talent but with the Giants or Eagles he could make some noise.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mcd said:

He averaged 3.5 yards a carry (27 carries) during his rookie year, coming back from a major injury that ended his college career and dropped him in the draft. It's  pretty limited sample size since turning pro, especially coming off the injury and missing most of last years offseason.

He looked like a better player this offseason, starting 3 preseason games and averaging close to 6 yards a carry.

He's not a superstar talent but with the Giants or Eagles he could make some noise.

This.