Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Jonathan Williams, Lions

Faust

Jonathan Williams - RB -  Saints

Jonathan Williams saw reps with the first-team offense in the Saints' second preseason game.

Williams ran for 37 yards on eight carries, but missed a first-half blitz pickup. There's been some buzz on Williams over the last week, and he looks to have jumped Terrance West on the depth chart. Williams has a chance for an early-season role until Mark Ingram (suspension) returns.

Aug 18 - 11:22 AM

I don’t think he’s better than Ingram per se, but I think the drop off to Williams isn’t significant and probably makes the Saints comfortable planning a future without FA-to-be Ingram. 

The question is when the future begins. Week 1 with Ingram traded? Week 4 after Williams is more proven?  2019?

ETA - we don’t know what Ingram is like without the drugs. Doug Martin has never looked the same. 

Edited by JFS171
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

Hot take. I take it you think he's better than Ingram.

No, I still give Ingram the slight edge mainly due to body of work. But I do think after this season, Ingram walking and Williams stepping into his #2 role should be seamless.

some real high praise in here, still...

last year was a pretty big bummer but every time i watch this kid run, i like him... 

i'm hanging on but have to make some cuts soon. (might cut ties with john kelly instead.) thing i like about his value right now is we should know pretty quickly this season if he is who we think he is. sometimes i prefer the players at the end of the roster who should give me a quick answer in the season.

16 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

Terrance West released.  First domino ...

That kind of seals it. I like Boston Scott also but he's more suited for the Kamara role. I think Williams steps into the Ingram role now. I do expect for Kamara's role to expand while the Ingram role is reduced a bit though.

So Williams at least becomes a super cheap target for those who go zero RB or those who draft Ingram (or even Kamara really). It depends on how deep your league goes and how risk averse you are. I know that in every league I drafted Ingram last year I also drafted Kamara and it obviously worked out quite well. And of course there's a chance Williams solidifies his role/Ingram falls out of favor a la Snead although I do not think that is likely. 

The more I think about it the more I don't think I could draft Ingram without drafting Williams though. Ingram has been largely off my draft board ever since I realized NO has a week 6 bye and that I'd only be getting 1 game out of him before week 7 but the fact that Williams is such a good proxy makes drafting Ingram followed by Williams more palatable.

it really seems like williams has a very good chance to get 15 touches weeks 1-4 in new orleans.

in a league where opportunity is king, i am really surprised how late you can draft this guy... and the worst case scenario: he's barely involved in week 1 and you can use his slot to grab someone else who comes out of nowhere.

owners taking fliers on other players late in their drafts will often have to wait weeks and months to see if their sleepers pan out.

i'd probably value jonathan williams in the RB40s at this point, just behind some of the guys around there who have clear cut paths to volume but ahead of some of the talented guys who are in muddier situations.

Edited by strong
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 11:22 AM, SameSongNDance said:

So Williams at least becomes a super cheap target for those who go zero RB or those who draft Ingram (or even Kamara really). It depends on how deep your league goes and how risk averse you are. I know that in every league I drafted Ingram last year I also drafted Kamara and it obviously worked out quite well. And of course there's a chance Williams solidifies his role/Ingram falls out of favor a la Snead although I do not think that is likely. 

The more I think about it the more I don't think I could draft Ingram without drafting Williams though. Ingram has been largely off my draft board ever since I realized NO has a week 6 bye and that I'd only be getting 1 game out of him before week 7 but the fact that Williams is such a good proxy makes drafting Ingram followed by Williams more palatable.

Arghh, wish i read this before my draft. Im pretty solid at rb but i begrudgingly took d-jax in the 14th rd as i saw no other players i was interested in. Day after draft guy picks up Williams. (I took Ingram in the 4th). Your 7 wk mark is more of a disclaimer to Ingram than an advocation of Williams.

I still think this is the Kamara show for 4 wks though.

Love Williams super late- gives some viability to the zero RB strategy. You can start him early and buy some time to find a break WW RB or for one of your rookie RBs to take over. No way Kamara gets all those touches- just look at the Saints history. Also, they have a pretty soft schedule to start the year so there could be a lot of late game rushes and GL rushes. I think Williams could easily produce 80%-90% of what Ingram had. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dahabi said:

Was there an injury or something? I was expecting to see a ton of him against the Chargers...not 3 carries (for -3 yards)...

Yeah Boston Scott looked much better.  Worrying . . .

10 minutes ago, nittanylion said:

Don't overreact to this without getting more pertinant info. If I'm correct, Ingram has to be on the Roster today, then gets officially suspended tomorrow. No one is going to beat down the door for Williams. Tomorrow, they might be bringing him right back on board.

There is a reason why they would expose him over Boston Scott.

5 minutes ago, nittanylion said:

Don't overreact to this without getting more pertinant info. If I'm correct, Ingram has to be on the Roster today, then gets officially suspended tomorrow. No one is going to beat down the door for Williams. Tomorrow, they might be bringing him right back on board.

I’m not sure if u are correct or not about the suspension ( don’t think you are-it’s not like Ingram’s the first player suspended to start a season & ive never heard of this before), but if they had plans to keep Williams, why risk making him a FA for 2 days, to bring him back?  

It has to do with Roster construction rules, I'm being told. Ingram has to occupy a spot on the 53-man Roster today. Tomorrow he goes off the Roster while serving his suspension, creating an available spot for someone, maybe Williams.

Williams is only worth something to the Saints. He has little to no value to any other Team. There's little to no risk he's going to be signed by another Team.

8 minutes ago, nittanylion said:

It has to do with Roster construction rules, I'm being told. Ingram has to occupy a spot on the 53-man Roster today. Tomorrow he goes off the Roster while serving his suspension, creating an available spot for someone, maybe Williams.

Williams is only worth something to the Saints. He has little to no value to any other Team. There's little to no risk he's going to be signed by another Team.

On top of this, Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis put a lot of effort into bottom-of-the-roster churn, avoiding guaranteed salaries by cutting guys as a means of "holding" desired players out of the first regular season game. I don't know if very many franchises try to float as many cuts past Week 1 as the Saints -- didn't seem to be this way under the Jim Haslett regime here in New Orleans.

11 minutes ago, nittanylion said:

Who is telling you this?  Why has no one told us this when Doug Martin was suspended to start last year?  Or Le’veon Bell the year he was suspended to start the season?  And even if it were true, do you seriously think NO values Williams enough to play a major role in weeks 1-4, but not enough to keep him on active roster?

12 minutes ago, socrates said:

This is a curious move.  I didn't see this one coming. 

This guy seems to be a case where for whatever reason dynasty twitter sees something that the NFL doesn’t. The Bills decided it wasn’t critical to keep him either. 

I think he’s ok but the hype around him has always seemed ahead of the reality. He’s a solid RB but nothing special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nittanylion said:

A perusal of recent transactions shows a lot of players being put on the “reserve/suspended list” today, so I don’t think this info is correct.

Seems like ams can and are shifting guys to suspended status as part of their cutdowns.

2 minutes ago, Arodin said:

A perusal of recent transactions shows a lot of players being put on the “reserve/suspended list” today, so I don’t think this info is correct.

Seems like ams can and are shifting guys to suspended status as part of their cutdowns.

I think maybe he’s confusing being suspended with being placed on IR, designated to return.  For a player to be able to return from IR, he must be on active roster first, then placed on IR, then he can return from IR later this year.  If he doesn’t make the 53, and is just put on IR, he can’t return.  Pretty sure the “suspended player has to be on 53 first” is just false.

10 hours ago, SameSongNDance said:

I was just watching the final preseason game so I could compare Scott and Williams side by side and my gut tells me that there is something going on with Williams behind the scenes that we don't know about. He looks better than Scott IMO. 

This will probably be the last bit of energy I devote to him though. 

Word now is that it was about Payton's lack of confidence in J Williams' pass protection.

Meanwhile ... Mike Gillislee is in New Orleans for a visit. Gillislee knows the offense's terminology. Edmunds' or safety JT Gray's seat is warm.