What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Darren Waller, NYG (1 Viewer)

Same

I don't get the sense from the rejections I've gotten that people are concerned about his past. They're worried about Ruggs, Renfrow, etc, mouths to feed and all that. Mostly it has been me shopping him rather than the one receiving offers. Most people think he is a 1 year wonder. Could be right. I think he is better than that. 

Not to be underestimated here is the undercurrent, which is "TEs are just hard to move".
Oh you're probably right. I'm just not worried about Ruggs at all. I don't think anyone values off field risk properly. 

I would rather Goedert over Waller in a heartbeat long term.
Yeah I'm more win now. I think it's closer than you do but I can see why some would feel that way. I only have Goedert and Jarwin behind Kittle and that has me a little nervous. Waller>Goedert for 2020. 

Oh dude you're good. Jarwin is about to emerge.
Yeah funny thing. I got Kittle off the WW late in his rookie season. That's how I got Jarwin too. I hope you're right because I just offered Goedert + Jarwin for Waller + 3.05 and was rejected again. So I'm done now lol. Rolling with what I got I guess. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah funny thing. I got Kittle off the WW late in his rookie season. That's how I got Jarwin too. I hope you're right because I just offered Goedert + Jarwin for Waller + 3.05 and was rejected again. So I'm done now lol. Rolling with what I got I guess. 
Well funny story I own Waller in an FFPC superflex and am trying to move him. Dude named Milkman keeps trying to buy my Antonio Brown. Haven't found the right middle ground yet. That wouldn't be you would it? I am Hot Route.

I got Kittle in probably the 6th round of a couple rookie drafts and managed to hold him. So sweet. 

Well funny story I own Waller in an FFPC superflex and am trying to move him. Dude named Milkman keeps trying to buy my Antonio Brown. Haven't found the right middle ground yet. That wouldn't be you would it? I am Hot Route.
Nope not me lol. Not interested in Brown. Lol

Whoever turned that down is nuts.  Its a free Jarwin at least.

Whoever turned that down is nuts.  Its a free Jarwin at least.
I've lost my fair share of trades in that league but I do have a reputation for being ahead of the curve. So some owners simply won't trade with me at all. That guy is also not rostering a second TE at this moment. Lol

The only reason to fade Waller is if you are worried the 2 rookies are going to eat up his targets. He was elite last year in terms of efficiency and production. He even has room to get a little luckier on TDs. It's not hard to see a 90/1100/7. For redraft, I don't usually like taking those 2nd tier TEs but I feel like Waller actually presents some exciting upside. 

Darren Waller caught 6-of-8 targets for 45 yards in the Raiders' Week 1 win over the Panthers.

With the Raiders up 27-15 entering the 4th quarter, Waller's services simply were not needed. He did lead the team in targets with eight and should see more volume in Week 2 against the Saints. Waller will still operate as a TE1, especially in games that force the Raiders to throw more than run.

- Rotoworld

Waller is a legit stud. He's not a one year wonder. He's Carr's safety blanket. 

NO starting to double him. This happened a lot last year too.

Darren Waller caught 12-of-16 targets for 103 yards and one touchdown in the Raiders' Week 2 win over the Saints Monday night.

Waller was second in the NFL among tight ends in receiving yards last season, but he scored just three touchdowns. It was nice to see him find the end zone from one yard out in the second half on a wide-open play-action pass from Derek Carr. Waller's 16 targets were a commanding 42.1% of the Raiders' market share. No other Raiders pass-catcher saw more than three targets Monday. After two weeks, Waller has 18 catches for 148 yards and the one touchdown on 24 targets. Still Carr's favorite target despite an improved supporting cast, Waller is a volume-driven TE1 who should see positive regression in the touchdown department this season. Waller gets the Patriots on the road in Week 3.

Sep 21, 2020, 11:41 PM ET

probably benching for henry this week. belicheck will scheme to stop waller and i'd imagine he'll produce something closer to week 1 than Monday nights game.
I think this line of thinking is overrated. Look at Seattle last week - NE didn't really take away anyone.

Russ: 288/5

Carson: 17/72, 3/36/1

Lockett: 7/67/1

Metcalf: 4/92/1

Players gonna play.

Darren Waller (knee) is not practicing Wednesday.

It's a new injury for Waller but could easily be nothing serious after he was targeted 16 times (12-103-1) in Monday night's Week 2 win over the Saints. Assuming he's fine, Waller is a volume-driven top-six TE1 for Week 3 against the Patriots.

Sep 23, 2020, 5:23 PM ET

Darren Waller (knee) is questionable for Week 3 against the Patriots after returning to Friday's practice and getting in a limited session. 

Waller will be good to go in New England, but it is unclear what percent he will be at physically after soaking up a ridiculous 16 targets against the Saints on Monday. Patriots coach Bill Belichick sung Waller's praises this week, a not-so-subtle indication he will be a focal point of the defensive game plan. At seemingly less than 100 percent going up against a defensive maestro, Waller probably belongs more in the TE5-6 range than TE3-4. 

Sep 25, 2020, 6:11 PM ET

I think this line of thinking is overrated. Look at Seattle last week - NE didn't really take away anyone.

Russ: 288/5

Carson: 17/72, 3/36/1

Lockett: 7/67/1

Metcalf: 4/92/1

Players gonna play.
Big difference between Wilson and Carr IMO. It's not just about the opposing defense.

How to fix Eagles' Carson Wentz; no rebound for Drew Brees?

Excerpt:

2) Is Darren Waller the best tight end in football? Move over, George Kittle and Travis Kelce -- the competition for the TE1 spot is now a three-man race, with Waller closing fast. If you're not familiar with the Raiders' tight end, you're missing out on a fantasy football god with a game that keeps defensive coordinators up at night.

The former Georgia Tech receiver-turned-tight end has become the ultimate mismatch player for the Raiders with the speed and athleticism of a wideout in a basketball player's body. Measuring 6-foot-6, 255 pounds with long arms and strong hands, Waller combines ballerina-like movement skills with post-up ability in traffic. He is a superb route runner with enough wiggle to separate from linebackers and safeties on seam routes, crossers and option routes.

Waller is a five-star route runner with hard-to-guard ability, but he is at his best with the rock in his hands after the catch. Possessing the most yards after catch (91) among tight ends this season, he is a dynamic runner with the speed, balance and body control to turn short passes into big gains in the open field.

In 2019, Waller flashed big-play potential during a 1,100-yard campaign that showcased a surprisingly polished game for a converted wide receiver, and the fifth-year pro has taken his game up a notch during his third campaign under Jon Gruden.

"Darren's a great player, our job is to try and get him the ball," Gruden said, via the San Jose Mercury News. "I'd take him over any tight end. I know Kittle and Kelce are as good as they get, but Waller is right up there with them. This is his second year playing the position. It's astonishing what this man can do."

Against the Saints, Waller displayed his progress in a 12-catch, 105-yard effort that included a touchdown reception. He accounted for eight first downs as the Raiders' designated chain mover in the passing game and showed improved skills as a blocker. Waller's prime-time performance caught the attention of defensive coaches around the league, including a six-time Super Bowl winner slated to face the spectacular tight end in Week 3.

"He's a big challenge. Really impressed by everything he does," Bill Belichick said during a media conference call on Tuesday. "He's a very competitive blocker, got great size, got great quickness for his size, catches the ball very well. You know, he can really, he can run all the routes. Is really a very versatile player, talented, that shows good toughness and very competitive guy. So, yeah, he'll definitely be a problem for us."

Waller's combination of size, athleticism and skill will continue to give opponents problems as he makes his case to be considered the ultimate TE1 in today's game.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Raiders TE Darren Waller (knee, questionable) is expected to play in Week 3 against the Patriots.

Waller racked up 16 targets for the Raiders in Week 2 against the Saints. He trails only DeAndre Hopkins in targets on the year. Bill Belichick talked up Waller earlier in the week so it's likely that he'll be the weapon that the Patriots attempt to take away in Week 3. Despite the difficult matchup versus New England, Waller is a must-play in fantasy based on his volume alone.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 27, 2020, 8:48 AM ET

Yes disappointing after last week.  Glad I benched him for TJ Hock, but was second guessing that call all morning...
Congrats on having the guts to make that call; I did not...everything pointed to fading Waller for TJ, but I just couldn't do it after his monster MNF game.

Pure decoy.  Brutal
He looked like he was moving around well. Maybe he didn't have that extra gear as usual to get separation but definitely didn't seem limited.

Watched every snap of the game and was perfect storm of:

• BB scheming to rotate different defensive players on him -- rather than have a single guy account for him out of coverage, looked like they were being opportunistic and a little disguised about how to cover him, which may have disrupted Carr and Waller from their usual ability to set up a mismatch right off the snap.
  • Good coverage by those defenders
  • Carr not recognizing Waller when he was open -- there were at least two instances of Waller shaking a defender free and Carr either mistimed the ball or went elsewhere
  • Injury limitations
Sucks to have depended upon him and for him to net 2 for 9, especially in a game where the Raiders needed to pass to keep up with the surging Pats.

But it happens. I don't see this as anything dire or concerning. Just a bad week.

Waller also has this odd pattern of never putting two big games together in a row.  Going back to the beginning of last season, he has not had two games of more than 10 fantasy points back to back (at least in my 0.5 PPR league).   He’s a yo-yo, EKG, tight end, like a lot of them are.  Love him, but coming off of last week’s big game, a bit nicked up, facing BB’s defence that has a proclivity of taking away a team’s best offensive player, on the road, can’t say today’s result comes as a surprise.   Next week who could/should be back with a much stronger performance.

Darren Waller caught just 2-of-4 targets for nine yards in the Raiders' Week 3 loss to the Patriots.

After going berserk with 12-103-1 on 16 targets last Monday night against the Saints, Waller was eliminated by the Patriots, who could simply focus on stopping him with Henry Ruggs already out hurt. Waller wasn't targeted in the first half and didn't catch his passes until the game was essentially over. Waller should bounce back Week 4 against the Bills, even in a similarly difficult spot.

Sep 27, 2020, 5:13 PM ET

Waller also has this odd pattern of never putting two big games together in a row.  Going back to the beginning of last season, he has not had two games of more than 10 fantasy points back to back (at least in my 0.5 PPR league).   He’s a yo-yo, EKG, tight end, like a lot of them are.  Love him, but coming off of last week’s big game, a bit nicked up, facing BB’s defence that has a proclivity of taking away a team’s best offensive player, on the road, can’t say today’s result comes as a surprise.   Next week who could/should be back with a much stronger performance.
Very true that Waller hasn't put up two back to back games.

Also true that it's really rare that TEs give you that kind of ongoing robust performance.

He was good enough to be Top 5 and still good enough to be Top 5 this year. 

Patience.

Loomba said:
Yes disappointing after last week.  Glad I benched him for TJ Hock, but was second guessing that call all morning...
Wish I had made that decision.   Let me know when you are sitting Waller again.   I trust your judgment more than mine.  

probably benching for henry this week. belicheck will scheme to stop waller and i'd imagine he'll produce something closer to week 1 than Monday nights game.
his health played no role in my call on this.

but for those who watched, how did he look? running ok? i recall watching last monday night and there were several second half tackles that made me squirm since they looked like awkward leg tackles with his knee twisting in ways it shouldnt... of course he bounded right up from all of them but still i was not surprised to see him in injury report with a knee.

his health played no role in my call on this.

but for those who watched, how did he look? running ok? i recall watching last monday night and there were several second half tackles that made me squirm since they looked like awkward leg tackles with his knee twisting in ways it shouldnt... of course he bounded right up from all of them but still i was not surprised to see him in injury report with a knee.
I was thinking the same thing. He was a beast last week and I cringed every time he got tackled. Which was a lot. There is actually one spot where I had the luxury of benching him for Andrews this week and did, but of course took it on the chin everywhere else. But I do wonder if he was a little more banged up than we realized. I didn't see any of the game yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread