What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Darren Waller, NYG (3 Viewers)

Darren Waller continues to impress coaches and teammates at Raiders camp.

On Tuesday night's episode of "Hard Knocks," Waller was the subject for a segment when media members asked multiple members of the organization which player has impressed the most, and many answered with Waller's name. Waller missed a brief amount of time with a shoulder injury but played 13 snaps as an every-down player last weekend in the second preseason game against Arizona. Waller admitted on "Hard Knocks" that he spent the early part of his career in Baltimore "getting high literally every day" on pain pills, cocaine, Xanax, and "whatever I could get my hands on." He's been clean for over two years. Waller remains a strong sleeper at tight end for those who miss out on the studs at the top.

Aug 21, 2019, 2:15 PM ET

My .02.   The most talented TE on the team is in fact a former college WR.  His initials are DC not DW.   It's ok if I am wrong.  However I will stick with my choice heading into last year as the future Raiders TE.
Carrier has had many, many shots in the NFL. He ran behind Waller last year toward the end of the season, he’s run behind him in the preseason and he’s less of an athlete than both Waller and Moreau. Which is not actually an insult since he’s quite an athlete himself. He was turned into a blocking TE by Jay Gruden and that’s what he serves as for Jon.

:bag:  yup. neglected the TE position a bit, so Waller is my guy for now. Hoping for a great game and that Denver's inability to cover TE's is still a thing
Same here. Starting him over Hockenson, who I am in love with, in one league. Choo choo.

admittedly all i know is jared cook was pretty good last year and waller looked like an atheltic freak on hard knocks.... so .... ???...... then profit!

One league I got boned at TE so I'm rolling with Waller. Last time I took a athletic TE with my last pick it worked out pretty good. Not saying he will be Julius Thomas but at least it gives us hope lol.

The biggest problem with Waller is his target share will be nowhere near what Cook had last year. Cook had the most targets of any Raider. I'm not sure what kind of target share Waller gets with AB, Tyrell, Jacobs and Richards. Maybe 60 targets? That might be high. Cook paid off huge last year being a late pick that ended up with a huge target share. Waller doesn't seem to have much ceiling in that regard. Still a decent 3rd or 4th TE compared to others in that range.

ericttspikes said:
The biggest problem with Waller is his target share will be nowhere near what Cook had last year. Cook had the most targets of any Raider. I'm not sure what kind of target share Waller gets with AB, Tyrell, Jacobs and Richards. Maybe 60 targets? That might be high. Cook paid off huge last year being a late pick that ended up with a huge target share. Waller doesn't seem to have much ceiling in that regard. Still a decent 3rd or 4th TE compared to others in that range.
Great take. Love this guys story and grit seeing Hard Knocks, but I don't see him as a reliable fantasy TE this year for the very reason of there being so many options in the passing game this year -- AB, Williams, Renfrow, Jacobs.

Last year, Cook and Richard were really the only reliable options.

ericttspikes said:
But how much of Cook being targeted so much was because of Carr's inability to push the ball downfield?  Carr posted career high in comp %, and career low in yards per attempt, I believe.

Waller could be the safety valve that benefits from Carr's check-down tendencies

But how much of Cook being targeted so much was because of Carr's inability to push the ball downfield?  Carr posted career high in comp %, and career low in yards per attempt, I believe.

Waller could be the safety valve that benefits from Carr's check-down tendencies
Carr has a more solid O-line (Trent Brown, Kolton Miller with a season under his belt, and Hudson and Jackson being very solid. Biggest Q in my mind is at LG and if Miller can continue to improve, but no question in my mind this unit is much better than last year.

Same thing with offensive weapons -- Cooper was the only WR and he was (and arguable still is) wildly streaky. Outside of Cooper, can't say that Carr had time or weapons downfield so the best option was always check down.

Not so this year with a totally revamped WR corps. And if you ask me who the primary check-down valve is, it will either be Jacobs or Richard a lot more than Waller.

Don't get me wrong, Waller seems to have the goods. It's the opportunity on a much different team that makes me question his share.

Carr has a more solid O-line (Trent Brown, Kolton Miller with a season under his belt, and Hudson and Jackson being very solid. Biggest Q in my mind is at LG and if Miller can continue to improve, but no question in my mind this unit is much better than last year.

Same thing with offensive weapons -- Cooper was the only WR and he was (and arguable still is) wildly streaky. Outside of Cooper, can't say that Carr had time or weapons downfield so the best option was always check down.

Not so this year with a totally revamped WR corps. And if you ask me who the primary check-down valve is, it will either be Jacobs or Richard a lot more than Waller.

Don't get me wrong, Waller seems to have the goods. It's the opportunity on a much different team that makes me question his share.
Thanks for the insight.  It was painful watching Carr last season.  

This is dynasty, but I had Waller as my backup plan at TE and decided to trade him for John Brown. I think, positional value wise, Waller could be a bigger difference maker if he hits, but I'm more likely to get a worthy flex starter out of Brown when necessary. Just less risk. 

I miss having a reason to follow Waller and root for his success, though. Might try to get him back if he flashes early in the season. 

Think he has a top 5 TE ceiling this year. Could be the biggest surprise of the year. 
I think he has this potential for sure, but it's hard to trust Gruden and especially Derek Carr. 

I'm thinking Ben Watson might be pf comparable upside at the same cost if not less

paired him with herndon very late in one draft.  confident herndon can produce but need the suspension coverage.  giddyup waller.

AB will be force fed.

#2 in targets will be the next best talent. Is that Tyrelle or Waller? Or the shifty 47 yr old rookie slot WR? Or just a big mush pot of week to week fool's gold of Derek Carr left-over targets?

Perhaps similarly-valued guys with clearer target share on equal or better O's, like Mark Andrews or girls used to Dissly are better bets for late TE swings.

Grabbed Waller as my sole Raider. So he gots to do well. 

The concerns about Carr are overblown. He's supported Cooper and Crabtree in the same season and last year he's shown he can throw to the TE. 

So IF the OL holds up Carr can sling the rock. AB will get double coverage and Williams will take the top off. That leaves Waller, Renfro, and Jacobs with 1 on 1 match ups that Carr can make the right play to. Again...Carr is not Wilson...Carr needs time. If the OL isn't terrible Waller has a better shot than Andrews, etc.

With his freakish size, athletic ability and the history of being a WR, I don’t see how he’s not good for a decent TE point floor every game, with some more than expected games sprinkled in. As stated above, AB will be so covered and Williams dragging them deep that I could see 4-7 catches every game for Waller. Not to mention that it’s not like Oakland will be protecting a lead  very often by running the ball 30 times.

Darren Waller, shot caller
Twenty-inch blades on the Impala
Call her, gettin' laid tonight
Swisha rolled tight, got sprayed by Ike

Darren Waller and Chris Herndon are my lottery tight end picks.  One or the other will be top 5.

Kinda forgot about TE taking best player during my draft.  I’m all in.  Witten is the backup plan.

Think he has a top 5 TE ceiling this year. Could be the biggest surprise of the year. 
I see him flirting with Top 10. I was/am real high on him but unfortunately only acquired one share of him. Ended up with Andrews who went 11 rounds later in my main money league. Can’t say I’m upset about that. 

I think he’s still a work in progress and has much more value in dynasty. Not sure it all comes together this year. 

It's a long season, and I wonder what target share would have looked like with AB.

But coming here to eat crow regardless.

Liked Waller in preseason, loved his story and a big backer as a Raider fan and a fan of this kind of second chance.

But the guy is clearly a monster talent, creates mismatches, and looks like a must add in this offense. He's going to do great things this year.

I'm kind of kicking myself for not taking a chance on him.

The long failure to launch and the word being out on him, he went higher than I anticipated or was willing to invest.

I thought he looked great and the writing was on the wall from Cooks season last year.

There's been talk of top-5 upside & that's DEFINITELY a possibility.

There's a lot of things you can do with a TE like Waller. The scary part is he's likely going to get better.

I'm glad I traded for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to try to sell high. Seems flukey. Rather go with TJ
I mean, I like Hockenson and would take him over Waller, but Waller just got a 30% target share. Outside of Tyrell Williams and the RBs out of the backfield, there isn't much else in the receiving game. I expect Waller to be in the 20-25% target share on the season overall which is damn good.

Carr is looking for him all over the field. If last night is the norm the Raiders offense runs through Waller. 

Not bad return on investment for a guy going late in drafts. 

Darren Waller caught 7-of-8 targets for 70 yards in the Raiders' Week 1 win over the Broncos.

Waller lived up to his preseason hype, leading the Raiders in targets and putting on a show with some highlight catches. Oakland used Waller all over the field — he lined up outside for a 25-yard catch on the opening drive — and it’s clear they wanted to feature him. Playing the Jared Cook role in an offense without a true No. 1 receiver, Waller is on track for a big year if he stays healthy.

Sep 10, 2019, 1:39 AM ET

I'm going to try to sell high. Seems flukey. Rather go with TJ
What about his performance seemed clumsy to you?  He’s a very talented TE in an offense that puts an emphasis on the te.  He may not have history but last year gruden made Jared cook a household name.  Waller was heavily involved and caught every ball thrown his way.  He was a beast.  

I’m likely starting him over OJ Howard this week.  That’s more situational for me.  I hate Thursday games and I also have Winston and Godwin.  And possibly Curtis Samuel going in that game.  Have to hedge a bit.  But the fact that I’m even contemplating sitting Howard for this guy in week 2 should tell you all you need to know about how I feel about him.  It’s a very thin position at TE so if you had the foresight to grab this stud before week 1 congrats.  Plug and play rest of season in your lineups Asmara long as he stays healthy.  

What about his performance seemed clumsy to you?  He’s a very talented TE in an offense that puts an emphasis on the te.  He may not have history but last year gruden made Jared cook a household name.  Waller was heavily involved and caught every ball thrown his way.  He was a beast.  

I’m likely starting him over OJ Howard this week.  That’s more situational for me.  I hate Thursday games and I also have Winston and Godwin.  And possibly Curtis Samuel going in that game.  Have to hedge a bit.  But the fact that I’m even contemplating sitting Howard for this guy in week 2 should tell you all you need to know about how I feel about him.  It’s a very thin position at TE so if you had the foresight to grab this stud before week 1 congrats.  Plug and play rest of season in your lineups Asmara long as he stays healthy.  
If it makes you feel better, I'm starting Waller over Howard this week.   I think Howard improves from week 1 but Waller should be consistently solid each week. 

I'd prefer him over OJ Howard too, but TJ Hockenson is a different animal. 

Waller is a steal for anyone who landed him. I missed out except the contest. I'd probably only start 5 or 6 tes over him

if it werent for hard knocks, none of us would have him rostered. so thanks HBO.  pleased with his usage, hell they gave him a TE screen play. he'll be a part of the offense this year.... unknown how he handles a full NFL season though (mentally and physically). exciting to see him play though, his athleticism is obvious

if it werent for hard knocks, none of us would have him rostered. so thanks HBO.  pleased with his usage, hell they gave him a TE screen play. he'll be a part of the offense this year.... unknown how he handles a full NFL season though (mentally and physically). exciting to see him play though, his athleticism is obvious
Episode 1 of Hard Knocks from this year was on August 6th.  Scroll back to posts in this thread pre-Aug 6th.  Plenty of buzz.

I drafted him in 5 different rookie/FA drafts back in May.

Speak for yourself. I drafted him in third round of rookie draft this year based soley on this thread. I literally did not know a human being named Darren Waller existed until five minutes before drafting him in June. So I mean I'm not gonna brag about any kind of advance scouting :) , but situation just seemed like a great low risk gamble to me.

Users who are viewing this thread