What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Darren Waller, NYG (1 Viewer)

I drafted him but thought it might take a few weeks for him to get going so I didn't start him this week and it cost me a W. He'll be in my lineup next week.

Rotoworld:

Darren Waller played 55-of-55 snaps in the Raiders' Week 1 win over the Broncos.

"We're going to get the ball to Waller," coach Jon Gruden said Tuesday when commenting on Waller's 7/70 performance. "Waller's special." Say what you will about Gruden, he offered candid assessments of his players during the offseason and lived up to many of them on Monday evening. Waller is going to be a top-two target for the Antonio Brown-less Raiders, and has the looks of an every-week TE1 in fantasy.

SOURCE: Myles Simmons on Twitter

Sep 10, 2019, 5:16 PM ET

It's not a stretch to say Waller has the potential to finish among the leaders at the position.

What's scary is he's got nice headroom left as far as FF is concerned.

BallerWaller's ceiling is just about as high as anyone's considering his age.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread convinced me to draft him in Dynasty.

It wasn’t ESPN! it wasn’t Yahoo! It wasn’t Mel Kiper! It wasn’t any Pundit!

IT WAS THIS MOTHER ####IN THREAD!!!

Tex
Ditto. Was desperate for warm body at TE in rookie draft and this thread was the ticket. 

So what's a price check on this kid? He's got to be worth at least a first

Ditto. Was desperate for warm body at TE in rookie draft and this thread was the ticket. 

So what's a price check on this kid? He's got to be worth at least a first
Maybe not quite yet be he’s definitely headed in that direction. I’m not saying no one came get at 1st but for it to be a Engram, Kittle, Kelce, or Ertz type of conversation we’re probably looking at a complete season to bring the doubters over to reality.

Tex

I drafted him too...and got Olsen (who's generally a model of consistency thus it's a tough decision week in and week out).  What kind of trade value can one recognize?  RB2 or WR2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Darren Waller caught 13-of-14 targets for 134 yards in the Raiders' Week 3 loss to the Vikings.

Derek Carr looked Waller's way all afternoon. Their only incompletion would've been good for another 20-plus yards, but Waller couldn't quite come down with the slightly-overthrown pass. The Raiders' uber-athletic TE otherwise displayed a natural ability to catch the ball and also offered plenty of goodness after the catch. Waller is set up brilliantly in Week 4 against the Colts' porous TE defense. Continue to fire him up as a mid-tier TE1.

Sep 22, 2019, 4:59 PM ET

The only thing that doesn’t make him a top 5 te rt now is that through 3 games he hasn’t scored a TD.  But I’m sure they will come.  Maybe he finishes the year with 5-7 tds but if he keeps up this pace he might eclipse 1000 yds receiving barring injury.  

What a ww find for so many of us.  TE is by far the hardest position to hit on outside of the top 3 guys.  Waller has been steady Eddie.  Seems to have a 6 reception 60-70 yards weekly floor and an uncapped ceiling.  

The only thing that doesn’t make him a top 5 te rt now is that through 3 games he hasn’t scored a TD. 
He's currently TE5 in 0.5 PPR and TE3 in full PPR, so if/when the TDs come he will just cement himself in this stratosphere.  I put him immediately behind Kelce, Kittle, Andrews and Hooper for the rest of the season.

I will eat crow on this one. Waller is probably my biggest miss of the offseason. Certainly, I assume Antonio Brown was going to be there, which is some of it, but it seems apparent now that he would have had a big role regardless.

He's currently TE5 in 0.5 PPR and TE3 in full PPR, so if/when the TDs come he will just cement himself in this stratosphere.  I put him immediately behind Kelce, Kittle, Andrews and Hooper for the rest of the season.
Engram is really below Hooper?

I know he had a great day yesterday, but I think Engram and Ertz are big omissions here.

TE is deep this year.

Engram is really below Hooper?

I know he had a great day yesterday, but I think Engram and Ertz are big omissions here.

TE is deep this year.
Not enamored with the way Ertz is being used this year, and I don't think Engram's targets continue that level once Tate is back on the field.

Not enamored with the way Ertz is being used this year, and I don't think Engram's targets continue that level once Tate is back on the field.
That's fair enough. Just curious as I'm trying rank order tiers, too. Herndon is sitting on the wire in a league I'm in and Hockenson has become waiver wire material in a twelve team set-up.

? Even if its 6-7......heck even 8 deep......that's still not deep. 
I'm not used to that many TEs able to be trotted out with reasonable expectations of being TE1 for the week. Years ago, you had Gronk and Gates and that was it. Now, you could have anybody in the top twelve become TE1 for the week and that's all you're looking for, really. 

This comes from the point of view of running streamers for the most part. The reason people streamed TE is that it was so bad that outside the best two, there was no value in holding a good one, really, because the roster spot itself wasn't rewarded. 

TE is definitely not deep this year compared to other positions.  You can pick up any of 5-7 qbs off the waiver any given week and get 17+ pts from them...WRs are so plentiful that guys who right now are on pace for approx 1000 yds receiving are an afterthought on the wire.  See preston williams.  RBs are tough, but obviously more plentiful than TE bc most leagues require us to start at least 2-2 rbs and people manage to find viable ones to start.  But TE...man...after kelce, kittle, ertz, Andrews, Engram and now Waller...it's a TOTAL crap shoot.  You can get a TE off  the wire to give you 6-10 pts...but they're just as likely to give you a goose egg...and that includes OJ howard now apparently.  To have a guy like Waller who has demonstrated that 6 reception, 60 yard floor...thats Gold rt there, Jerry! Pure Gold!

TE is definitely not deep this year compared to other positions.  You can pick up any of 5-7 qbs off the waiver any given week and get 17+ pts from them...WRs are so plentiful that guys who right now are on pace for approx 1000 yds receiving are an afterthought on the wire.  See preston williams.  RBs are tough, but obviously more plentiful than TE bc most leagues require us to start at least 2-2 rbs and people manage to find viable ones to start.  But TE...man...after kelce, kittle, ertz, Andrews, Engram and now Waller...it's a TOTAL crap shoot.  You can get a TE off  the wire to give you 6-10 pts...but they're just as likely to give you a goose egg...and that includes OJ howard now apparently.  To have a guy like Waller who has demonstrated that 6 reception, 60 yard floor...thats Gold rt there, Jerry! Pure Gold!
Yes it is. I'd argue Waller is worth more than any WR in FF right now. No I'm not kidding. I own him everywhere and wouldn't trade him for almost any single player. He's THAT valuable as of right now. 

Redraft, go for it.  Gotta take chances to win ships sometimes.
If you lose the TE you keep to injury you're done that year. There is nothing on the WW. You can flex Waller and get the same production as a RB2 and still keep your TE depth incase of injury. 

For our local live draft we use the big paper draft board with the pre-printed player stickers. When I went up to pick Waller (in the 12th) there was no sticker for him...I had to get a sharpie and write him in on a blank sticker.

Cool story huh?
It is a cool story because I did the same thing but in the 14th round.  Many of the guys in my draft didn't know who he was.   But, to be honest, I wasn't totally sold on Waller and took him as a late round flyer after drafting OJ Howard many rounds earlier.    Just another cool story.   

That's fair enough. Just curious as I'm trying rank order tiers, too. Herndon is sitting on the wire in a league I'm in and Hockenson has become waiver wire material in a twelve team set-up.
Give Hock one more week. 

That said I'm starting Waller in the flex this week with Bell on bye.

20 PFF stats to know after Week 3 of the 2019 NFL regular season

Excerpt:

DARREN WALLER’S JOURNEY HAS COME FULL CIRCLE

While a member of the Baltimore Ravens, Darren Waller was frequently suspended as he dealt with substance abuse issues. Now with the Oakland Raiders, Waller has imposed his will on the opposition. He has the highest catch rate among tight ends with at least 15 targets (89.7%), ranking third in receiving yards (267) and first in yards after the catch (151).

The Colts will definitely be without  S Malik Hooker and most likely without LB Darius Leonard.  It could be a big day for Waller.

Darren Waller caught 7-of-8 targets for 53 yards in the Raiders' Week 4 win over the Colts.

4/46 of Waller's production came in the first quarter of a sleepy affair. Waller has now caught at least six passes each time out and is on pace for a sparkling 132/1,280/0. It seems hard to believe Waller will reach either of those first two numbers, but he is clearly the Raiders' No. 1 passing option. 100/1,000 is in play.

Sep 29, 2019, 7:08 PM ET

The #Raiders are signing their breakout TE Darren Waller to a contract extension through 2023, source said. Instead of being a restricted free agent in March (and potentially staring at a franchise tag after that), Waller gets his payday now.

I’m happy for him especially considering what he’s gone through.

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread