What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Poison Ivy (1 Viewer)

Ray Karpis

Footballguy
Got into this weekend and it's everywhere.  Ankles, knees, arms, shoulder, top of my ear, side of my nose, shins, penis, and anu$.

Got a steroid shot this morning at the walk-in clinic.  Did not disclose to the nurse that it was on my private areas.

Itching like a sumbit$h.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get minor Poison Ivy every year from yard work...this year tackled trimming up about 80 white pines that line my property, and many had a ton of poison ivy and oak in them.  The first round I washed up really well with dish soap and avoided it.  The second time, it got me.

Started as what I thought was a sunburn (which is odd b/c I don't really burn much).  My whole neck and upper back just burned for 2 days.  Made wearing a shirt really uncomfortable.  Then, on Monday, the bumps started.  BIG patches all along the left side of my head...from the upper scalp down to my collarbone on the right. 

I've never had Poison ivy on my head/neck.  It doesn't itch, but it's painful as hell, especially on my scalp under my hair.  No clue how the heck I got it there unless by washing I forced some up into my scalp.

Using Tecnu works for stopping the spread of poison oak for me.  I would expect it could help prevent the spread of poison ivy as well as it really helps to get rid of the poisonous oils.  The steroid shot will work too. 

Using Tecnu works for stopping the spread of poison oak for me.  I would expect it could help prevent the spread of poison ivy as well as it really helps to get rid of the poisonous oils.  The steroid shot will work too. 
I'm not really up on my medications - What's Tecnu?

Got it on my face as a young kid. Woke up, opened my eyes and... nothing. Thought I was dead, and then thought I was blind. My face and eyelids had swollen shut. 

Sucks

Got some on my leg and arm from a hike this weekend. Girlfriend has it on her legs, arms, hands. Brutal. 

Use lots of rubbing alcohol regularly. 

Got into this weekend and it's everywhere.  Ankles, knees, arms, shoulder, top of my ear, side of my nose, shins, penis, and anu$.

Got a steroid shot this morning at the walk-in clinic.  Did not disclose to the nurse that it was on my private areas.

Itching like a sumbit$h.
My standard PI advise... wash your clothes from that day at least twice before wearing them again. One time I had it real bad and after 3-4 weeks when it finally gone away, I put on the same shirt (that had been washed) and got it all over again.  :rant:

besides the shot, have your doctor get you on prednisone. 

My doctor used to put me on that a few days before I would go up to my hunting cabin with poison sumac.  That stuff is the suck! 

Never had an issue since. 

I'm not really up on my medications - What's Tecnu?
It's a scrub that helps remove the oils that cause the skin irritation.  You can also use Tecnu as a preventative measure as well.  I will use it like a lotion and scrub up before going in any areas that may contain poison oak.  It can help prevent the poisonous oils from getting to your skin to cause the break out.  If you are in an area that has a lot of poison oak/ivy I would make sure you always have some on hand.  Use it before you go out and then shower with it immediately when you return.  It's the best method I have found to limit your exposure.

Doesn't usually help once the rash has set in badly... but Mean Green will remove any traces of oil. It will stop it from spreading further, and if if you catch it early after exposure, you won't have a rash. Whenver I do yard pruning, etc... I take a shower and scrub down well with this stuff and I'm good to go. 

Agreed with those who say to wash clothes/sheets that have come in contact. Oils will sit around for months and continue to cause rashes. 

Alyssa Milano >> Jamie Pressly >>>>>> Drew Barrymore 
Thought that was what this thread was going to be about. 

So instead, I'll just be that annoying guy that shows up during someone else's discomfort and say that I'm really resistant to poison ivy. I never got it even though I spent a good portion of my free time as a kid exploring woods and such. I even went so far as to rub it on my arm once just to find out for sure. 

Look at me!

Okay, sorry about that.  Hang in there, RayK.

Thought that was what this thread was going to be about. 

So instead, I'll just be that annoying guy that shows up during someone else's discomfort and say that I'm really resistant to poison ivy. I never got it even though I spent a good portion of my free time as a kid exploring woods and such. I even went so far as to rub it on my arm once just to find out for sure. 

Look at me!

Okay, sorry about that.  Hang in there, RayK.
was gonna toss a "like" up at your post, but it would've been like #666, and i'm not playing that ish ?

Wish I had some advice but I'm immune to it.

Maybe try some peppermint oil soap to cool them down and get some relief.

i am totally bad with poison ivy and that stuff and for me i end up on steroids both internal and topical every time so my advice is follow up with your physicians and get it taken care of it can really cause you problems if you do not stay on top of it and knock it out and that is one to grow on take that to the g i brohan bank bromigos

Also not really allergic to poison ivy either. I was as a kid so I feel your pain.
My Dad isn't allergic.  I'm so jealous.  He literally goes in and yanks out vines and sumac bushes with not even gloves on...nothing. 

I can't complain that badly - for as much as I work in the stuff (it's everywhere, and I do a lot of yard work), I don't get it that often.  Maybe 1 really bad outbreak every few years...a few minor ones.  My neighbor's kid can't even be near it.  He'll literally swell up like a balloon and have blisters for weeks.  Mine usually last a week at most...but again, this case in my scalp and neck is new territory.  Hurts so bad.  Wifey picked up some of that Tecnu stuff at Wal Mart along with some Ivarest...I'll give it a try.

Itching like a sumbit$h.
Screw the remedies, you really need to unpack the backstory of how you ended up naked, rolling around in poison ivy, and getting it on your ###.  I don't think any sex would be worth that. 

Poison Ivy, and all it's many iterations, freaking suck. I used to get it really bad when I was a kid. If it's already manifested, soaking cheese cloth in strong, dark tea, and putting it on the rash helps the healing along, and can help with itching, too. 

If you think you were exposed, it takes time for the urushiol (oil that causes the rash) to bond to the skin and start the rash, so you have a window to get it off. Firstly, throw away the clothes. The oil is very sturdy, and will often just spread to other clothes or the washing machine and prolong your agony. Secondly, turn the shower very cold and hop in. It sucks, but not as much as poison ivy. That will congeal the oil a bit, and close your pores. Thirdly, scrub yourself with alcohol to remove the oil. If you want to get fancy, lathe yourself with big tongue depressors after pouring on the alcohol, but just scrubbing with alcohol should be enough.

It's not foolproof, but it gives you a shot to avoid a crappy couple of weeks. Good luck, and don't scratch. Especially if it's on the twig and berries...

For help with the itching take REALLY hot showers. The hotter the better. 

This works with any itch plus it feels AMAZBALLZ. I'm not even exaggerating.  Something about the hot water drawing the chemical in your body that causes the itching to the surface and washing off. It will hold off the itching for at least 30 minutes. 

Jewelweed is a natural plant that removes the oil from the skin. Learn what it looks like and rub down with it after possible exposure. I'm highly allergic to PI but once a landscaper friend told me about it I've haven't gotten it since. 

Been a while since I got it, but it was indirect.  A friend had her bag in my car on left edge of the passenger seat.  Sure enough I started getting the rash along my right leg from coming in contact with the bag.  She was cute and I forgave her.

Firstly, throw away the clothes. The oil is very sturdy, and will often just spread to other clothes or the washing machine and prolong your agony.
I think this is my issue.  The thing is, the last time I did yard work was when I was clearing some of the branches out...I KNOW I was exposed to a lot of it then...but that was July 9th.  I showered and did my scrub-down ritual and seemed fine.  This stuff started popping up last Thursday, and more severely this Monday.  Well over a week.  It had to have transferred from my clothes to the washing machine and eventually something else.  I'm wondering if it ended up on my pillow case honestly.  It's amazing to me that I could get it a solid week later.

I think this is my issue.  The thing is, the last time I did yard work was when I was clearing some of the branches out...I KNOW I was exposed to a lot of it then...but that was July 9th.  I showered and did my scrub-down ritual and seemed fine.  This stuff started popping up last Thursday, and more severely this Monday.  Well over a week.  It had to have transferred from my clothes to the washing machine and eventually something else.  I'm wondering if it ended up on my pillow case honestly.  It's amazing to me that I could get it a solid week later.
It's very possible. Sorry, man, that sucks. I always tell people to just chuck those clothes. It just doesn't wash away or break down easily. As the Mayo Clinic says : "If the contaminated object isn't cleaned, the urushiol on it can still cause a skin reaction years later."

Now imagine that object is cloth.

UGH - good luck.

I think I'd take the poison ivy or sumac in my case. 
I've been on Valtrex since Saturday morning - It's starting to clear up really quickly.  The pain level went from an 8 to a 6 in a few days, and now I'd say it's a 3 or 4...I have it only on my neck/head.  The good part of that is it's not irritated by clothes.  I saw pics of folks who got it on their side/torso.  I feel like clothing would make that unbearable.

I think I'm lucky as, compared to some of the stories I read, mine wasn't THAT bad.  It still sucked a lot, but I'm not blind/deaf/scarred.

I've been on Valtrex since Saturday morning - It's starting to clear up really quickly.  The pain level went from an 8 to a 6 in a few days, and now I'd say it's a 3 or 4...I have it only on my neck/head.  The good part of that is it's not irritated by clothes.  I saw pics of folks who got it on their side/torso.  I feel like clothing would make that unbearable.

I think I'm lucky as, compared to some of the stories I read, mine wasn't THAT bad.  It still sucked a lot, but I'm not blind/deaf/scarred.
Guy I work with got the shingles on his twig and berries.  

Users who are viewing this thread