What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Time Soccer Draft ((Morph)) v RHE in Medellin (1 Viewer)

Which team has the better offensive subs? Which team has the better defensive subs?

• ((Morpheus)) has better offensive and defensive subs.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • RHE has better offensive and defensive subs.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • ((Morpheus)) has better offensive subs, but RHE has better defensive subs.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • RHE has better offensive subs, but ((Morpheus)) has better defensive subs.

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
OK, I want to highlight one quirk in today's game. 

@((Morpheus)) hasn't given us a lineup.  I asked @The Gator to take a look at the drafted team and offer a lineup.  I'll post that below.  I'll also discuss other ways ((Morpheus)) might line up.  Feel free to vote as if ((Morpheus))'s lineup and tactics are set up in the way that makes the most sense to you.  If you think you have a better idea of how that will be than me or Gator, let us know in the thread. 

As for me, I'll do some shtick, but I'm not going to talk much to try to convince anyone that I would win.  I'm going to instead just talk about what I tried to achieve and what I decided to sacrifice on. 

Pre-match interview with Colombian reporter Alejandra Buitrago

We'll be using a translator for this interview as the reports of too many anglos on FBG comes in and they didn't like the mexican language used last time. 

Usted debe ser excitado ot finalmente tendrá una patada fuera de este tournment para su equipo?

TRANSLATOR- You must be happy to finally have the tournament start for your team?

RHE-The lads are ready for real games.  Any more scrimmages and Gentile was going to put Zico in the hospital!  We'll be ready for Medellin.

Los hippies habían sido reemplazados por los colombianos , y estos chicos no llevar chanclas

TRANSLATOR- You got a steal in the draft in Luis Figo. It must feel good to get one over on @El Floppo and picking LUIS ####### FIGO just picks before him?

RHE- We were fortunate that a player of Luis's stature was available.  Our philosophy has always held that to trouble the defenses at this level, you  need at least two elite goal scorers and two elite chance creators.  As the longtime leader in assists from La Liga, Luis certainly fit our philosophy.   But I'd like to think it was fortunate for Luis as well.  His game will thrive alongside Zico in a way that it never could in the dumpster fire of a team assembled by El Floppo.

A veces se me acusa de tráfico de drogas. Es una actividad que, por el momento, históricamente, diremos que ha sido declarada ilegal. Es ilegal en el momento, pero en el largo plazo y en el futuro, vamos a demostrar que se dirigirá hacia la legalización.

TRANSLATOR- will we see Karim Benzema today?

RHE- I don't know about you, but I will see quite a bit of Karim today, if you catch my meaning.  Sandor Kocsis is the first striker off the bench if we need an aerial threat.  Karim is the first option off the bench if the owner needs a little Double Snack Pack action....

(cont.) Hey, I'm not sure I have the most confidence in this translator!

¡SALE CORRIENDO!

TRANSLATOR- STORMS OUT

A few notes about my team.

• The inspiration for my midfield was France's "le Carré Magique" or "Magic Square" midfield of the 1984 European Championships.  Like that midfield, I am placing Jean Tigana, a CM/DM for his club, on the left and asking him to do a bit of everything.  Tigana isn't the biggest name on my team, but he's the key element that makes the midfield work.  If you watch him with France (there's a YouTube with every touch in a game against Italy), he is all over the left side of the field.  Covering the wing and the middle, and usually picking up possession deep and shuttling the ball forward.  His energy levels are incredible.  He is small, but has perfect timing in the tackle.  And his passing is unshowy, but highly effective.  In that midfield, Zico is pretty much a like for like substitute for Michel Platini.  Luis Figo is, in my estimation, an  even more talented approximation of Alain Giresse.  Javier Mascherano is Luis Fernandez on steroids. 

• I placed a heavy emphasis on having strikers who were consistent finishers, and on having at least two prolific playmakers.  I didn't want to rely on tactics or overloads to create offense.  I assumed I'd face a set, imposing defense and I wanted offensive players that I thought could create chances (and convert chances) against those types of tough defenses.  In Romario, Seeler, and Zico, I have three players with over 500 senior team goals in competitive matches.  Each average roughly .8 goals per game over their careers.  Voters will have to decide how much to discount those numbers because Romario and Zico spent most of their prime in Brazil and Seeler compiled over half of his numbers in the Oberliga North before the Bundesliga existed.  I'll just point out that all three posted similar numbers with their international teams and that Romario and Zico's brief stints in Europe were undeniably successful.

• Zico, in addition to being a big time scorer, was a chance creation machine in an era when assists weren't tracked.  Figo was the all-time leader in assists in La Liga before being passed by Messi last year.  Messi passed Figo in about 20 less games, so you can assume that Figo was slightly less effective creating chances for teammates than Messi.  I'll take that (Messi, of course, is a much better goalscorer).

• Seeler is a player I fell in love with over YouTube.  There's an excellent video showing every touch from a friendly between Hamburg and Santos.  Seeler is all over the field for Hamburg.  Dropping deep into midfield, and drifting to either wing to probe and provide some crosses.  For a player deemed to be a poacher, he doesn't just camp out in the penalty area (which is good, because that spot belongs to Romario).  Seeler was only 5'7", but scored a lot on headers and overhead kicks.  Like a true striker, however, he also scored plenty of "ugly" goals because read the game.  My kind of player. 

• I have a few players who are famous for not having that big defining moment.  Zico and Seeler and arguably Ruud Krol internationally.  But I do have Romario, Gentile, Banks, and Vogts who won World Cups and made big impressions doing so. 

• I'm starting Krol at CB instead of LB for this game and am playing Evra.  Against a more modern, physical side, I'd probably have Krol at LB and play Lucio. 

Let's talk a bit about Romario.  Ronaldo called him "the most decisive" player he'd ever seen.  I think that's a great description for why I love Romario so much.  How many times do we see a guy through on goal who apparently is still trying to decide how to beat the keeper (*cough* Danny Welbeck! *cough*).  Romario always knew what he was going to do and would execute it calmly.  My favorite trademark Romario finish is a short stab with the outside of his right foot.  Almost, but not quite a toe poke.  There's no wind up, so he get close to the goalkeeper.  It's almost impossible to read.  And he makes it look effortless.  He was also a master of the deft chipped finish when the keeper committed early. 

This video, despite the name, doesn't show Romario's ten best goals, IMO. But it does show the variety and decisiveness of his finishing in a short package.

Alright, here's might shot in the dark

((MORPH)) SC

Without knowing too much this VERY old and unique squad, that asymmetrical formation seems to be a good fit. Three excellent CBs are the foundation of this team with a devastating DM sitting in front of them. Nobody scores down the middle here. Lahm at RM will track back really well and cover his space. Varela is shifted slightly to left to cover for the marauding Jairzinho.  Either Varela or Baresi can slide out and cover while the other holds/fills in the LCB spot.  Sir Bobby is the driving force here, with deadly weapons in front of him with Coluna running off of him. This team should control possession in most games while conceding few goals. 

I think he was going for a three at the back...most of those CBs were great sweepers. These guys also seem to have very high motors from what I read. Also, they have really cool nick nicknames like El Negro* Jefe, Monstro Sagrado and The Hurricane.

* Sorry Evra**

**No I'm not

Gator's best guess at ((Morph's)) lineup.
Hey guys, something's come up IRL so I won't have much time to check in for the foreseeable future.

Gator pretty much nailed my lineup, but I'd switch Lahm (who made his name on the left side) with Jairzinho (an out and out winger who can create space for the two studs up top). I'd also go with Picchi over Vasovic in a 3 man defense, because having 4 Italians in the back is the only way to make that formation work. Finally, I want di Stefano playing off of Moreno to maximize his playmaking ability.

Cheers

((Morpheus)) drafted one of the most intriguing teams.  He reached deep back into the history of the game to grab players like Varela, Juan Manuel Moreno, and Valentino Mazzolla.  The consequence of this however, is that I'm not sure how to do justice to his vision.  I've tried to do some research.  Moreno played for a five man forward line at River Plate and lined up slightly withdrawn between the right wing and the right inside forward.  That team used a proto "False Nine" center forward, so Moreno would run from that withdrawn position into the gap vacated by the center backs.  Jairzinho made his fame as a rampaging right wing for Brazil.  Di Stefano was a Forward/Attacking Midfielder who kind of did everything for Real Madrid.  Mazzolla usually played as a support striker.  Picking the ball up deep and both initiating the offense and finishing chances.  Charlton was a classic central attacking midfielder.  Coluna was another central attacking midfielder who played behind Eusebio.  Gerson was a deep lying central playmaker .  Varela was classic holding defensive midfielder. 

Burgich was versatile enough to play anywhere on the defensive line, but made his name as a defensive right back.  Lahm started as a left back and was World Class there, before transitioning to right back and then to DM.  Baresi, was a classic sweeper, so he's easy. 

So the big question, to me, is who ((Morph)) intended to play on the left side of midfield. 

Hey guys, something's come up IRL so I won't have much time to check in for the foreseeable future.

Gator pretty much nailed my lineup, but I'd switch Lahm (who made his name on the left side) with Jairzinho (an out and out winger who can create space for the two studs up top). I'd also go with Picchi over Vasovic in a 3 man defense, because having 4 Italians in the back is the only way to make that formation work. Finally, I want di Stefano playing off of Moreno to maximize his playmaking ability.

Cheers
Awesome, thanks.

Cheers
So something like this:

Mighty ((Morph's)) Power Rangers

Pre-match interview with Colombian reporter Alejandra Buitrago

We'll be using a translator for this interview as the reports of too many anglos on FBG comes in and they didn't like the mexican language used last time. 

Usted debe ser excitado ot finalmente tendrá una patada fuera de este tournment para su equipo?

TRANSLATOR- You must be happy to finally have the tournament start for your team?

RHE-The lads are ready for real games.  Any more scrimmages and Gentile was going to put Zico in the hospital!  We'll be ready for Medellin.

Los hippies habían sido reemplazados por los colombianos , y estos chicos no llevar chanclas

TRANSLATOR- You got a steal in the draft in Luis Figo. It must feel good to get one over on @El Floppo and picking LUIS ####### FIGO just picks before him?

RHE- We were fortunate that a player of Luis's stature was available.  Our philosophy has always held that to trouble the defenses at this level, you  need at least two elite goal scorers and two elite chance creators.  As the longtime leader in assists from La Liga, Luis certainly fit our philosophy.   But I'd like to think it was fortunate for Luis as well.  His game will thrive alongside Zico in a way that it never could in the dumpster fire of a team assembled by El Floppo.

A veces se me acusa de tráfico de drogas. Es una actividad que, por el momento, históricamente, diremos que ha sido declarada ilegal. Es ilegal en el momento, pero en el largo plazo y en el futuro, vamos a demostrar que se dirigirá hacia la legalización.

TRANSLATOR- will we see Karim Benzema today?

RHE- I don't know about you, but I will see quite a bit of Karim today, if you catch my meaning.  Sandor Kocsis is the first striker off the bench if we need an aerial threat.  Karim is the first option off the bench if the owner needs a little Double Snack Pack action....

(cont.) Hey, I'm not sure I have the most confidence in this translator!

¡SALE CORRIENDO!

TRANSLATOR- STORMS OUT
:lmao: ...you got this down pat...

So the key matchups that ((Morpheus)) presents, as I see it, are:

• Jairzinho vs. Evra on the right flank. 

• Mascherano faces a choice between being responsible for Di Stefano and being responsible for late runs from Charlton.

• ((Morpheus))'s number advantage in midfield will likely give him some more possession

Swap Chalrton (a lefty) with Corluna and push him a bit higher and that's my team. Picchi plays against traditional 2 forward lineups, Vasovic subs in against a 4-2-3-1 for his superior distribution. My midfield and defense is composed of tireless runners, and my attack revolves around a trio of complementary South American legends.

Also, an important note: most of my players were talismanic figures who captained their respective teams to many, many trophies. My captain for these games is Obdulio Varela, the man who captained Uruguay to the 1950 World Cup over hosts Brazil. Seriously, read the story - that guy won't let his team lose to anybody.

Swap Chalrton (a lefty) with Corluna and push him a bit higher and that's my team. Picchi plays against traditional 2 forward lineups, Vasovic subs in against a 4-2-3-1 for his superior distribution. My midfield and defense is composed of tireless runners, and my attack revolves around a trio of complementary South American legends.

Also, an important note: most of my players were talismanic figures who captained their respective teams to many, many trophies. My captain for these games is Obdulio Varela, the man who captained Uruguay to the 1950 World Cup over hosts Brazil. Seriously, read the story - that guy won't let his team lose to anybody.
Edited

FYI - The game is held at the Estadio Atanasio Giradot in Medellin.  ((Morpheus)) is the home team.

I'm managed by Ottmar Hitzfeld (somehow forgoing his customary 4-2-3-1) and ((Morpheus)) is managed by Carlo Ancelloti (taking a quick job before getting started at Bayern next year).

BTW, six time World Goalkeeper of the year and Ft. Lauderdale Strikers legend (NASL Goalkeeper of the Year 1977 with one working eye!), Gordon Banks says hello. 

Don't forget this Figo highlight, RHE.   Puta Figo

Apart from Judas Luis, your team has a number of my favorites:  Tigana (my favorite from those excellent French teams of the 80's), Romario, Zico (is he the greatest Brazilian never to win a WC...apart from David Luiz, I mean), and El Jefecito, Mascherano.  

Since Morpheus' squad has Di Stefano, I'm hoping Figo and he go up for a header and knock each other out.  Maybe that will get Kubala out on the pitch.  I need to get a ticket to this match.

BTW, I freaking love these threads.   :thumbup:

You know morph picked an intimidating team when you Google "Colombia fans" and the Google auto finish has "....bring dead body to game"

:mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only half shticking it up when I suggest that places like this and Brady's North Korean venue might be harder on the home teams. 

If the pressure gets to my guys and they make a mistake, we'll discuss it over a gigantic pretzel in Dortmund tomorrow.  Not sure Morph's would have such a pleasant time of it.

I didn't draft a team to win a popularity contest; instead, I assembled a historically great team comprised of complementary puzzle pieces and guys I liked based on my research. I don't expect to poll well, and of course it's impossible to compare players across eras, but I think my squad would be favorites in hypothetical matchups vs. most of the teams in this draft.

Also: I'd love to hear from the people who think my offensive subs are worse than the opposition here, jeez. We're comparing Barcelona's player of the 20th century (Kubala) and arguably the greatest Italian player of all time (Mazzola) to Karim freakin Benzema.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread