What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (15 Viewers)

I'm golfing later this morning for the first time all year.  Figured I'd better get a little practice in so I hit the range for a medium bucket last night, and walked 9 holes carrying my bag from 6:30 - 8:00.  It was pretty humid but holy crap after 4 holes or so I was drenched.  Calorie estimates?  The course was a long walk and hilly, so I gave myself 100 calories for the bucket of balls and 800 calories for the 9 holes?  Sound reasonable?  Remember that I'm a big, strappin' fellow. 
I'd say about 400. 800 seems ridiculous 

I'm golfing later this morning for the first time all year.  Figured I'd better get a little practice in so I hit the range for a medium bucket last night, and walked 9 holes carrying my bag from 6:30 - 8:00.  It was pretty humid but holy crap after 4 holes or so I was drenched.  Calorie estimates?  The course was a long walk and hilly, so I gave myself 100 calories for the bucket of balls and 800 calories for the 9 holes?  Sound reasonable?  Remember that I'm a big, strappin' fellow. 
How many calories would you get if you walked 3 miles and were 20 lbs heavier?

Grabbed my weights and a new bench today. Old bench was too small and had stands that were too close, got in the way on bench press.

They are no longer making the kettle bell handle for the PowerBlock U90s. So anyone with U90s who wants one you probably need to get one quick.

I've had a horrible week - worst week all year but about to go run so hoping to limit the damage.  Just a rough personal week - glad it's almost over.   :(

I've had a horrible week - worst week all year but about to go run so hoping to limit the damage.  Just a rough personal week - glad it's almost over.   :(

Me too. Blatantly sabotaging everything because of depression reasons :(
Sorry to hear it, guys. It's a marathon, though, not a sprint. You've both been kicking butt, don't forget that. Hope you get that motivation back. 

Me too. Blatantly sabotaging everything because of depression reasons :(

Hang in there GBs, we're rooting for ya. Make next week one of the best weeks you can to offset it.

I'm feeling ya both. My routine has been thrown off with not being able to bike. Leg was improving, but long walks to get to Texans game Saturday have set it back I think.

Have some PT sessions for the leg, plus weight workouts, scheduled with trainers next week to try to help turn it around.

Week 7 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 181.7
Current Weight: 174.4
Last Week: 174.1
Week Lost: +0.3 lbs
Total Lost: 7.3 lbs
Total % Lost: 4.02%

Overall Starting Weight: 237.5
Current Weight: 174.4
Total Lost: 63.7 lbs
Total % Lost: 26.57%

Last edited by a moderator:
Gave it back this week. Could be another challenge this week as I will be surrounded by southern food all week and living out of a different hotel room each night.  I have 10 more nights out of town before the end of August.

Week 6 - 189.2
Week 7 - 186.8

Trying to eat pretty Keto this week - would like to fast a bit this coming weekend.   Keeping carbs out now makes the transition easier in theory.  Traveling a couple nights this week will be challenging - when I visit Tipsy's place I will have to skip some sides and triple up on meat.

Week 7 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 178.0
Current Weight: 172.5
Last Week: 175.0
Week Lost: 2.5 lbs
Total Lost: 5.5 lbs
Total % Lost: 3.1%

Overall Starting Weight: 198.5
Current Weight: 172.5
Total Lost: 26.0 lbs
Total % Lost: 13.1%

@AAABatteries

As I predicted, I had a decent loss this week, after holding steady the last couple of weeks.  Cheating has become a more regular occurrence as I have become more complacent with my results.  I also recently found out I am due for a couple of minor surgeries which I'm sure are going to throw this all out of whack.  We'll see.

Weighed in at over 237 today.  Higher than my starting weight for the first weight loss competition :unsure:
You need to find some new motivation I think.  You obviously know what to do and what works for you.  You just need some motivation to stick with it, and some kind of stop loss trigger to step in when you go off the rails.

Interesting weekend,  wife and kids where gone all weekend.  Yeah for me.  I never stopped moving as we just redid our kitchen and bath and I was cleaning everything and washing stuff before putting them into the new cupboard.  I didn't eat all that bad but did have more chips than I should have as well as a beer each night.

Activity was good but still need to reassign my view of food as more fuel than habit or something to do when bored or something that gets out of control.

@AAABatteries  216.4 so back up slightly.

I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape. (Aug 3 update: New A1C is below pre-diabetic range)

Just going to spectate the contest, but I'll take all the support I can get.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28: 290 lbs
July 6:   277.4 lbs
July 10: 274.0 lbs
July 14: 270.0 lbs
July 19: 266.8 lbs
July 23: 261.7 lbs
Aug 1: 261.2 lbs
Aug 7: 254.6 lbs
Aug 13: 250.0 lbs
Aug 21: 244.8 lbs

Total weight loss:  45.2 lbs
Made progress despite the setbacks, though I think it may be due to exercise from the weekend before, and the results just lagged behind a bit.

Physical therapist who did some therapy on my shin splints thinks I have an infection in that leg (not related to the shin splints). Leaving for the doctor's office to check it out. I hope this isn't going to set back my exercise further.

Made progress despite the setbacks, though I think it may be due to exercise from the weekend before, and the results just lagged behind a bit.

Physical therapist who did some therapy on my shin splints thinks I have an infection in that leg (not related to the shin splints). Leaving for the doctor's office to check it out. I hope this isn't going to set back my exercise further.
Great loss!

@AAABatteries

Down pretty big this week, though was actually down a couple pounds more on Saturday morning - had a charity event on Saturday night so between, dinner, snacks (though I kept it reasonably healthy) and a couple drinks - kept it reasonable - I added in a few pounds. Following my normal pattern of holding pretty steady for 2-3 weeks then hitting a good sized loss. I want-- no need - to hit it very hard this week. Thursday is my 40th birthday. On April 12th, when I made the change to get healthier I set myself a personal goal of being down to 270 on my birthday. After my quick start then, I changed that goal to 265 on May 22. I have exceeded that goal, but want to really kick tail at the gym this week, eat properly and see if I can't be closer to 255 on the morning of my birthday (without fasting for 3 days of course).

Phase 3 Week 7

Week 6 Starting Weight: 262.7
Current Weight: 256.6
Week Lost: 6.1

Phase 3 Starting Weight: 267.6 (from July 2 weigh in)
Phase 3 Lost: -11.0
Phase 3 % Lost: -4.1%

Overall Starting Weight (from April 16): 300.1
Total Lost: 43.5
Total % Lost: 14.5%

Walking Boot said:
:lmao:

You're talking to someone who lost $70k in online blackjack, being told every step of the way "walk away now before it gets worse" and didn't stop until he lost every cent. 
Stories like that make my regret not following the old Otis tales.

Walking Boot said:
:lmao:

You're talking to someone who lost $70k in online blackjack, being told every step of the way "walk away now before it gets worse" and didn't stop until he lost every cent. 
70k is a bit higher than I remember. 

@AAABatteries

Down pretty big this week, though was actually down a couple pounds more on Saturday morning - had a charity event on Saturday night so between, dinner, snacks (though I kept it reasonably healthy) and a couple drinks - kept it reasonable - I added in a few pounds. Following my normal pattern of holding pretty steady for 2-3 weeks then hitting a good sized loss. I want-- no need - to hit it very hard this week. Thursday is my 40th birthday. On April 12th, when I made the change to get healthier I set myself a personal goal of being down to 270 on my birthday. After my quick start then, I changed that goal to 265 on May 22. I have exceeded that goal, but want to really kick tail at the gym this week, eat properly and see if I can't be closer to 255 on the morning of my birthday (without fasting for 3 days of course).
I did not fast, in fact last night's dinner was pancakes, eggs, bacon and sausage and I did not skimp on serving size and I woke up this morning at 253 pounds. Now, given that with my kids sports schedule, the Mayweather/McGregor fight and the fact it is my birthday I'm sure I will not be hitting the gym like I normally would for the next 4-5 days and I will be eating a little more gratuitously, it will be a struggle to keep it there for the Sunday weigh in (but damn it feels good to be my lowest weight in at least 6 years, I will figure out a way to not pack too much bloat on). I'll have to make it a point to try get some extra movement in while coaching

Even when I got to my lowest 6-7 years ago I don't know that I ever dipped below 250, so I'm probably creeping into the territory of being my lowest weight since I graduated college.

For what it's worth, I'm heavier than in ages, but have regularly been getting complements from people I haven't seen in a while.  The muscle is starting to show.  One guy at work who busts my balls religiously even last week said I've "changed my body composition so that I no longer look like a fat tub of goo."  So, we're making great progress.  Still lifting 4 days a week, weights getting heavier, muscle building.  I do at some point need to get serious about my eating habits and trim the fat, but for now I'm just happy to be consistently making positive gains.  And anyway, my mantra is Rome wasn't built in a day.  I take the progress I've made in about 4 months and keep imagining how I'll look/feel if I keep it up for a year.  2 years.  And if I start making little corrections again in my diet.  There's a superhero in my future.

Last week is a great example.  Went to a concert on Weds night and get absolutely shhammered.  Got home and slept 4 hours.  Woke up with a murderous hangover.  Still got out of bed at 5am and went to the gym.  It would have been so easy to make an excuse that day.  Built I still haven't missed a single day.  I think this is the 5th month.  Just want it to keep sticking.   If I've learned anything about all this, it's 100% about habits.  Good and bad.  The habits are what make the difference.  And so consistency is what counts.  And so I'm sticking at it.

Anyway, I do need to correct the diet and drop 20lbs of fat at some point.  But for now, like I said, I'm just glad to be making progress.

Haven't checked in here forever to see how folks are doing.  Of the original people that participated in the challenge that started January 1, have a significant number lost a lot of weight?  I have a bet about it earlier in the thread but I can't remember the exact details.  Pretty sure I knew I was going to lose when I made the bet I just thought it would be fun to keep track of it, then I totally stopped keeping track of it.

Haven't checked in here forever to see how folks are doing.  Of the original people that participated in the challenge that started January 1, have a significant number lost a lot of weight?  I have a bet about it earlier in the thread but I can't remember the exact details.  Pretty sure I knew I was going to lose when I made the bet I just thought it would be fun to keep track of it, then I totally stopped keeping track of it.
Took a look at the updates from the last few pages and compared them to the 1/1/2017 spreadsheet.  Some of you guys are really killing it!  Definitely going to lose my bet but very happy to do so.  Keep up the good work.

So, we all ready to get fat again?
I decided it is diet off while I'm dealing with Harvey.  Was using up a lot of frozen stuff in case I lose power. Though by this morning I decided to cut back a bit on the indulgence.

That said, I had a 2-liter of Dr Pepper 10 still in the fridge from when I gave up soda back the end of June. Had a glass today.  Ahhhh. "Hello darkness my old friend."  

Was up 2 pounds this morning, though that could mostly be water weight too.

I think Gator, Keerock, cheesey, shady and myself have all kept off large amounts - I have to be honest though, the last couple of weeks have been a struggle with my diet - I'm compensating somewhat with exercise but will most likely be up 2 weeks in a row tomorrow.  Bump your wager as I remember it but also don't recall the details.

ETA - sorry if I forgot anyone - lots of other great loss stories

OK, @fantasycurse42, @Northern Voice, @BassNBrew

How about this- I'm not looking to get in too deep, just want some fun.  So I'll bet  each of you $25.  If you can find four contest participants that have lost 10+ pounds on 1/1/18, you guys all win.  If you can't, I win.  You don't need to name your people in advance -- all 38 players are eligible.  Just need 4 to do it.

I'm willing to take on one more of the same bet, ideally someone else in the contest.  That would make it an even $100, and it will also mean that the four bettors as a group can control their own destiny.
Bump for AAABatteries.

Week 8 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 198.2
Current Weight: 182.0
Last Week: 186.8
Week Lost: -4.8 lbs
Total Lost: 16.2 lbs
Total % Lost: 8.2%

@AAABatteries

Started quick 36 hour water fast Friday night - Saturday morning I was at 185.  Only had water, black coffee, unsweet iced tea.  Sunday morning was at 181.8.  Refed pretty hard with lots of fat and too much protein, but stayed at 182 this morning.  I thought I'd gain a bit more than that post fast - pleasantly surprised.  I have my first 60 hour fast scheduled in early September - we'll see how it goes.  

Aug 8 2017 weight:  201.2 

Gained some weight in the last 7 days.  Not sure why.  Maybe some muscle gain after all the weight training.  I am still at the weight I want to be.   It never gets easier. 

Week 8 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 178
Current Weight: 173.5
Last Week: 172.5
Week Lost: +1.0 lbs
Total Lost: 4.5 lbs
Total % Lost: 2.5%

Overall
Starting Weight 198.5
Current Weight 173.5
Total Lost 25.0 lbs
Total % Loss 12.6%

Really not concerned with losing weight every week anymore.  I want two things; the line graph on MyFitnessPal to continue to trend downward, and to loss a couple of pounds every month.  Doing this Keto diet, isn't really a diet.  I love what I eat every meal.  Rarely (but occasionally) am I bored with food.  If I snack, most of the time I can grab something smart, but I let myself have a bit of chocolate every now and then to handle the sweet tooth.  This works for me.

I have a hernia surgery come up, and need to do some physical therapy on my shoulder.  Once those things are in my past, I will start hitting the weights in the weight room I constructed for my boys for their high school sports.  My long term goal is to keep eating like this over the summer, add what little lean weight I can given my genetics, and be willing to take my shirt off in public next summer.  I went to the shoulder doctor this morning to get it checked out.  He said I don't need surgery but should do pt, and he was going to give me a cortisone shot.  For whatever reason, two young female assistants were in the room as I had my shirt off going through my range of motion.  To slay I was slightly embarrassed would be a major understatement.  I'm pretty happy with the weight clothes fit these days, but taking the shirt off is a different story.

As mentioned in earlier posts, I wanted to be below 255 for my birthday, which I was (253 on Thursday) and I was 253 on Saturday morning - but I also knew I would indulge on Saturday night as I had friends over for the fight and poker and I was not going to restrict myself - so some chips/dip, meatballs, whiskey dogs, brownies, 6-8 beers, a couple glasses of bourbon and not enough water later, plus no gym since Wednesday and I woke up Sunday at 257.7. I actually thought it would be worse, but I fully expect that to fall off rather quickly. Diet will need to be on point as I have a minor medical procedure tomorrow morning and I'm not sure what, if any restrictions, I will have as far as working out because I will have some stitches - hopefully still able to work out, just need to be very careful to keep the area of the stitches super clean. I go to Vegas on September 6 for the FFPC draft - I really hope to be able to wake up that morning before flying out at 249.9 or below. 

Phase 3 Week 8

Week 7 Starting Weight: 256.6
Current Weight: 257.7
Week Lost: +1.1

Phase 3 Starting Weight: 267.6 (from July 2 weigh in)
Phase 3 Lost: -9.9
Phase 3 % Lost: -3.7%

Overall Starting Weight (from April 16): 300.1
Total Lost: 42.4
Total % Lost: 14.1%

For what it's worth, I'm heavier than in ages, but have regularly been getting complements from people I haven't seen in a while.  The muscle is starting to show.  One guy at work who busts my balls religiously even last week said I've "changed my body composition so that I no longer look like a fat tub of goo."  So, we're making great progress.  Still lifting 4 days a week, weights getting heavier, muscle building.  I do at some point need to get serious about my eating habits and trim the fat, but for now I'm just happy to be consistently making positive gains.  And anyway, my mantra is Rome wasn't built in a day.  I take the progress I've made in about 4 months and keep imagining how I'll look/feel if I keep it up for a year.  2 years.  And if I start making little corrections again in my diet.  There's a superhero in my future.

Last week is a great example.  Went to a concert on Weds night and get absolutely shhammered.  Got home and slept 4 hours.  Woke up with a murderous hangover.  Still got out of bed at 5am and went to the gym.  It would have been so easy to make an excuse that day.  Built I still haven't missed a single day.  I think this is the 5th month.  Just want it to keep sticking.   If I've learned anything about all this, it's 100% about habits.  Good and bad.  The habits are what make the difference.  And so consistency is what counts.  And so I'm sticking at it.

Anyway, I do need to correct the diet and drop 20lbs of fat at some point.  But for now, like I said, I'm just glad to be making progress.
I'm considering starting PHUL.  I flirted with GZLP and I don't like it.  The volume is too low.  Was nice to take a break from super high volume programs for a month or two.

How long are the PHAT workouts running you on time?  PHUL is a 5 day routine but on weeks that I am short on time I might run the hypertrophy stuff on the back end. 

Users who are viewing this thread