What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (5 Viewers)

not sure where to ask this, but anyone seen news about a new study linking aspartame to cancer?  saw it on a normally reliable friend's FB page but i can't find anything about it.  could be BS.

not sure where to ask this, but anyone seen news about a new study linking aspartame to cancer?  saw it on a normally reliable friend's FB page but i can't find anything about it.  could be BS.
Not sure, but when I drink or consume aspartame my ears start ringing.

:loco:

Where do we stand on protein shakes after strength training for fat loss? I've always done it with the idea of trying to walk the tightrope of gaining or at least not losing muscle and losing fat at the same time (which I've done somewhat successfully in the past) but read something recently suggesting that if you have a lot of excess fat, you might be best having your body just chew into those stores first (once glycogen is depleted) rather than throwing protein in the mix immediately. That seems to be from a keto perspective and I am definitely not a keto guy but there does seem to be some logic there... on the other hand is there really enough there to really fuel muscle growth?... on the other hand, I do have my share of excess fat.
You haven't seen my stomach.

found it.  a misleading article based on an 8-year old study.  not surprising.

Northern Voice said:
Where do we stand on protein shakes after strength training for fat loss? I've always done it with the idea of trying to walk the tightrope of gaining or at least not losing muscle and losing fat at the same time (which I've done somewhat successfully in the past) but read something recently suggesting that if you have a lot of excess fat, you might be best having your body just chew into those stores first (once glycogen is depleted) rather than throwing protein in the mix immediately. That seems to be from a keto perspective and I am definitely not a keto guy but there does seem to be some logic there... on the other hand is there really enough there to really fuel muscle growth?... on the other hand, I do have my share of excess fat.
Where did you get the idea that eating any macro burns fat? 

The concept behind eating protein post workout is primarily to aid in recovery.   There's not a fat loss mechanism in that.

Where did you get the idea that eating any macro burns fat? 

The concept behind eating protein post workout is primarily to aid in recovery.   There's not a fat loss mechanism in that.
I don't think drinking the shake burns fat, I'm asking about the balance between the benefits of the post workout shake in terms of building/maintaining muscle and the benefits that has on long term weight/fat loss vs. foregoing the shake and counting on my body converting some of my existing fat in order to build/maintain muscle and recover. 

Generally consensus has always been have the shake after even if it's strength training for weight loss, for the recovery/growth benefits. But is it actually more or less beneficial to the long term goal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think drinking the shake burns fat, I'm asking about the balance between the benefits of the post workout shake in terms of building/maintaining muscle and the benefits that has on long term weight/fat loss vs. foregoing the shake and counting on my body converting some of my existing fat in order to build/maintain muscle and recover. 

Generally consensus has always been have the shake after even if it's strength training for weight loss, for the recovery/growth benefits. But is it actually more or less beneficial to the long term goal. 
If you are eating to a deficit where fat loss is a goal, meal timing is irrelevant.   There is a tiny, perhaps undetectable bump to muscle protein synthesis when consumed after a workout, but this is usually used as an excuse to overeat post workout so it's best to stick to your meal plan.  

Resistance training, while great tends to put a psychological burden on people when they focus on scale vs. mirror.  It's why I would rarely advise someone with a lot of fat to lose and is scale focused to do more low impact training like walking until the number is where they like it.  This tends to put people away from the mindset of a recovery shake or a cheat meal to compensate for intense exercise, which is usually always counterproductive.

If you are eating to a deficit where fat loss is a goal, meal timing is irrelevant.   There is a tiny, perhaps undetectable bump to muscle protein synthesis when consumed after a workout, but this is usually used as an excuse to overeat post workout so it's best to stick to your meal plan.  

Resistance training, while great tends to put a psychological burden on people when they focus on scale vs. mirror.  It's why I would rarely advise someone with a lot of fat to lose and is scale focused to do more low impact training like walking until the number is where they like it.  This tends to put people away from the mindset of a recovery shake or a cheat meal to compensate for intense exercise, which is usually always counterproductive.
Yeah, I'm not doing any of that. If I have the shake it's 120 calories of protein, I mix with water and I'm not having any other snack sort of thing with it or using it as an excuse to cheat. 

I disagree completely with not having strength training as part of a fat loss regimen but I don't think I'll continue the discussion any farther here.

Yeah, I'm not doing any of that. If I have the shake it's 120 calories of protein, I mix with water and I'm not having any other snack sort of thing with it or using it as an excuse to cheat. 

I disagree completely with not having strength training as part of a fat loss regimen but I don't think I'll continue the discussion any farther here.
2 hours ago you asked if protein caused fat loss, so I was trying to not put too fine a point on things.  

In simplistic terms its purpose is to aid in recovery, so your body is better prepared for the next workout. By itself it has no meaningful impact on your own unique weight nor fat metrics. 

In simplistic terms its purpose is to aid in recovery, so your body is better prepared for the next workout. By itself it has no meaningful impact on your own unique weight nor fat metrics. 
I get that, I thought someone might have real insight into the value gained from that potential improved recovery vs. the added calories in the overall scheme of things. 

I get that, I thought someone might have real insight into the value gained from that potential improved recovery vs. the added calories in the overall scheme of things. 
Your original question stemmed from burning fat vs glycogen. There is some science behind being fat adapted in regards to endurance running, but it depends on the whole diet (which is why the shake by itself does not say anything) and I am unfamiliar if it has a similar impact on strength training. I would guess no though. It's effective with endurance runners at least in part because of the amount of time they spend exercising. 

Rowtis Stats

Jan 9 Row:  10k - 45:27; MAF-ish; Burned 637 calories, Avg HR 133, max 164

January total: 65,101m

blah blah rowed some.  Maybe my PR for a 10k attempting MAF. (Blew through 160 a couple times, though I tried not to).   Still eating well and not drinking. Stick to the plan....

Rowtis Stats

blah blah rowed some.  Maybe my PR for a 10k attempting MAF. (Blew through 160 a couple times, though I tried not to).   Still eating well and not drinking. Stick to the plan....
Good for you dude. It's not that hard to exercise and eat well.  It's not even that hard to go full Bale and eat nothing but an apple and a can of tuna fish or whatever you were doing when this thread started. This is the hard part, doing it for an extended period of time.  And you finally seem to have that mindset.  Proud of you.

Rowtis Stats

1 month ago, on 12/8, you did a 10K row in 46:42, averaging 23 s/m and your average HR was 141.

Today, you did 10K in 45:27 (over a minute faster), averaging 28 s/m and despite getting faster, your average HR was only 132.

Be proud.

Good for you dude. It's not that hard to exercise and eat well.  It's not even that hard to go full Bale and eat nothing but an apple and a can of tuna fish or whatever you were doing when this thread started. This is the hard part, doing it for an extended period of time.  And you finally seem to have that mindset.  Proud of you.
Thanks man, appreciate that.  

1 month ago, on 12/8, you did a 10K row in 46:42, averaging 23 s/m and your average HR was 141.

Today, you did 10K in 45:27 (over a minute faster), averaging 28 s/m and despite getting faster, your average HR was only 132.

Be proud.
Wow, nice.  Looking at it that way, I guess you’re right.  I should probably look more closely at all this data I’m gathering now.  Thanks for that.

Wow, nice.  Looking at it that way, I guess you’re right.  I should probably look more closely at all this data I’m gathering now.  Thanks for that.
That's why we log this stuff. And the kudos, but mostly for this. 

That's significant progress. Even from just a couple weeks ago, your HR keeps improving. Just getting more fit.

I noticed you haven't mentioned your weight in here in a while. Just curious if you've checked. It honestly doesn't matter what the number is because if you keep doing what you're doing now, it will come down. But, my guess, even with the holidays, is that you're in a better spot than a couple months ago.

That's significant progress. Even from just a couple weeks ago, your HR keeps improving. Just getting more fit.

I noticed you haven't mentioned your weight in here in a while. Just curious if you've checked. It honestly doesn't matter what the number is because if you keep doing what you're doing now, it will come down. But, my guess, even with the holidays, is that you're in a better spot than a couple months ago.
And he quit drinking. 

Funny you mention that, I almost weighed myself this morning.  I haven’t in a while.  In part because I guess I don’t want to be too fixated on that number.  No matter what I do, it’s going to go down slowly, probably more slowly than I’d prefer, so why look at it and then be disappointed/dissuaded?  I’ve been down that road before.  I guess my new outlook is that weight is just a number — who cares.  What matters is how I feel, how my clothes fit, and my fitness level.  And so I know if I keep doing what I’m doing, all of those things are improving.  That number will go down, as you noted, regardless.  I figure I’ll weigh myself maybe in the beginning of February, after a solid month of no drinking and eating right while working out like this.  May be an interesting data point.  Or maybe I’ll give it even more time beyond that, who knows.

And he quit drinking. 
Well, we’re doing “dry January,” but I honestly am getting to the point almost ten days in now where I’m not missing it a whole lot.  I’m sure I’ll drink alcohol again, but maybe I’ll just limit to weekends/special occasions going forward.  There’s actually a big wedding we are going to this month, and Mrs. O and I are debating allowing ourselves to eat and drink whatever for that one night this month.  But ultimately, my long term plan will be to definitely continue to avoid the sweets and junk food, and to eat well/balanced, and continue to drink very little.  Because I just feel a lot better this way.  

one night at a wedding isn't going to blow you up...

Your problem and many others is they have that one meal/evening then feel like ok BLOW the WHOLE THING UP or well since I "ruined" this week I'll start over next week then never do and it just quicksands from there

edit: your

one night at a wedding isn't going to blow you up...

You're problem and many others is they have that one meal/evening then feel like ok BLOW the WHOLE THING UP or well since I "ruined" this week I'll start over next week then never do and it just quicksands from there
Very true.  

Funny you mention that, I almost weighed myself this morning.  I haven’t in a while.  In part because I guess I don’t want to be too fixated on that number.  No matter what I do, it’s going to go down slowly, probably more slowly than I’d prefer, so why look at it and then be disappointed/dissuaded?  I’ve been down that road before.  I guess my new outlook is that weight is just a number — who cares.  What matters is how I feel, how my clothes fit, and my fitness level.  And so I know if I keep doing what I’m doing, all of those things are improving.  That number will go down, as you noted, regardless.  I figure I’ll weigh myself maybe in the beginning of February, after a solid month of no drinking and eating right while working out like this.  May be an interesting data point.  Or maybe I’ll give it even more time beyond that, who knows.
You're a psychopath for not wanting to know.  Plus, this isnt all about YOU, guy.  WE need to know.

PS, you do have the right attitude, I just couldn't do that myself.

Week 1 in the books. Hasn't been easy, but I crushed it. My daily number according to iTrackBites is 34 and I averaged 22.9. My highest day was 28.6 (thanks 5 beers) and my lowest was 16.1. Stepped on the scale this morning for the first time since weigh-in a week ago. Wasn't expecting this and obviously won't see results like this every week.

Jan 2: 184.6 lbs

Jan 9: 179.8 lbs

I'm not tracking exercise, but I have been walking/skiing most days and also doing the 30-Day Yoga with Adriene challenge journey (its free on YouTube). The problem I have with most exercise programs is that they become a repetitive routine that I eventually dread and stop. This is different every day so you don't really know when the hard parts are coming. As a bonus, my back feels better than it has in years! Ohhhhmmmmmm.

Good luck all. We can do it.  :thumbup:

Back in the day when this thread was fun   :kicksrock:

The fact that you’re embarrassed to admit this happens two nights a week in your house makes me realize how bad my situation is.  4-5 drinks a day on average has become awfully typical in my household.  Eesh.  

Can we all stop drinking pls?

This thread got me wondering about this today.  Last night alone I drank an entire bottle of red wine, and that was after having a glass of white on the flight earlier in the day.  I don't drink a whole bottle every night, but it happens more often than it should.  But that's like what, 600 calories in booze just that day?  And I probably had, hell, 20 other drinks in week?

So yea.  The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that if I did nothing other than just quit drinking, that alone would probably get me to goal.  It's becoming clear to me that mine isn't so much a food issue.
Serious question:  How does it feel reading this now?

Hope you realize where you are now is so much better than August, 2019.  Now stay here.

I kind of disagree about "one bad day won't blow you up".  It's not the one day, it's breaking from the routine.  Once you get it in your head that it's ok to cheat, you need to have the right support structure to get back on the track that was working for you.  My first time dieting for an extended period of time, my first cheat day almost derailed me. It took me close to a week to get back in the groove. I was making excuses to myself that i knew i was able to diet, so does it really matter if I do it today or tomorrow?   

The thing that worked for me was treating it as a "reset" day. Like it's a rest day from exercising.  I still log my calories in myfitnesspal even though I plan to go over.  And then I immediately get back to myfitnesspal the next day and strictly hold myself to my calorie limit for the day.  It's important to me to have that structure.  

Right now I'm personally making a push for a specific number of pounds lost in two months, and it's aggressive.  So i won't be doing any cheat days unless I somehow get ahead of pace.  But that shouldn't be the norm.  

I'm hitting the groove right now with keeping my calories low for most of the day, doing a workout of some kind and then having a 1000 plus calorie dinner.  I feel like I get a "cheat meal" almost every day this way.  I do miss the bigger breakfasts a little but by morning I'm not really that hungry because I had a big meal the night before.  And if i do end up having a bigger breakfast or lunch once in a while I've figured out some foods I can still have for dinner that feel like a big meal but aren't too bad. 

So today I'm having a coffee with no sugar and a yogurt.  Under 200 calories. Lunch will probably be turkey chili. A couple hundred more. Maybe a small salad or some fruit for a snack. Then a workout and I'll have over 1000 calories left for my dinner.  I'm thinking salmon, baked potato, broccoli, and a glass of wine. That's an awesome thing to look forward to when I'm thinking about cheating throughout the day. And if i do cheat for some reason,  or can't finish my run, so be it. I'll cut out the wine, or switch to a 500 calorie dinner, and knowing that tomorrow I'll get to have a "cheat dinner" again, i don't feel like I'm depriving myself.  

I kind of disagree about "one bad day won't blow you up".  It's not the one day, it's breaking from the routine.  Once you get it in your head that it's ok to cheat, you need to have the right support structure to get back on the track that was working for you.  My first time dieting for an extended period of time, my first cheat day almost derailed me. It took me close to a week to get back in the groove. I was making excuses to myself that i knew i was able to diet, so does it really matter if I do it today or tomorrow?   

The thing that worked for me was treating it as a "reset" day. Like it's a rest day from exercising.  I still log my calories in myfitnesspal even though I plan to go over.  And then I immediately get back to myfitnesspal the next day and strictly hold myself to my calorie limit for the day.  It's important to me to have that structure.  

Right now I'm personally making a push for a specific number of pounds lost in two months, and it's aggressive.  So i won't be doing any cheat days unless I somehow get ahead of pace.  But that shouldn't be the norm.  

I'm hitting the groove right now with keeping my calories low for most of the day, doing a workout of some kind and then having a 1000 plus calorie dinner.  I feel like I get a "cheat meal" almost every day this way.  I do miss the bigger breakfasts a little but by morning I'm not really that hungry because I had a big meal the night before.  And if i do end up having a bigger breakfast or lunch once in a while I've figured out some foods I can still have for dinner that feel like a big meal but aren't too bad. 

So today I'm having a coffee with no sugar and a yogurt.  Under 200 calories. Lunch will probably be turkey chili. A couple hundred more. Maybe a small salad or some fruit for a snack. Then a workout and I'll have over 1000 calories left for my dinner.  I'm thinking salmon, baked potato, broccoli, and a glass of wine. That's an awesome thing to look forward to when I'm thinking about cheating throughout the day. And if i do cheat for some reason,  or can't finish my run, so be it. I'll cut out the wine, or switch to a 500 calorie dinner, and knowing that tomorrow I'll get to have a "cheat dinner" again, i don't feel like I'm depriving myself.  
That's pretty much what I said.   One night out will not ruin everything you've done... IF you get right back on the program.     Many people use the one night out as an excuse to not go back :shrug:

Serious question:  How does it feel reading this now?

Hope you realize where you are now is so much better than August, 2019.  Now stay here.
Yup, you're so right.  4-5 drinks every night is ridiculous.  Bad for so, so many reasons.

lolz I don't have the wall of mirrors anymore.  That was in my cool bachelor pad.  Then I met Mrs. O, got married, had a kid, moved to a boring house in the suburbs, had some more kids, moved to another house in the suburbs.  Oh, and I don't do fad diets anymore.

Like a whole different person.

No booze Jan, not eating past 7 pm, working out the same as before has dropped one belt notch.

No work travel for a month has been the biggest thing prolly.

I was really into using the rowers for a period a few years ago. Haven't done any significant distance on one for awhile with running and such. But it makes my ### hurt just thinking about sitting on a rower for 10k and/or 40+ minutes! Used to do a lot of 2K or 5K and then other work. Could not imagine sitting there that long!

And the scale read just under 200 this morning. Like somewhat of an idiot, and mostly because my app "rewards" me for active streaks, I step on there pretty much every morning. Really just care about the trend rather than any individual reading but there's something really nice about seeing 199.8 today instead of 200+ that it has been for about the last 3 weeks. 

I was really into using the rowers for a period a few years ago. Haven't done any significant distance on one for awhile with running and such. But it makes my ### hurt just thinking about sitting on a rower for 10k and/or 40+ minutes! Used to do a lot of 2K or 5K and then other work. Could not imagine sitting there that long!
I’ll be honest, probably the biggest limitation for me is my ### hurts after 40 minutes, though that’s improved dramatically since I got a seat cushion, and worse yet, invariably one of my legs gets pins and needles (usually my left).  It’s practically numb at 50 minutes, feels like I’m pushing with one leg at that point.  I may need to Google this and see if it’s a thing, and correctable.

Jan 9 Row: 10K in 43:20. Avg HR = 154. Had to get you something to push for @Otis  

Jan Total: 89,474
Nice.  I wonder if I could beat that.  I’ve been doing mine MAF, so constantly eyeing my heart rate and slowing way the F down when it starts to spike.  Curious to know what a current best 10k time would be for me.  I may give that a go one of these days...

Users who are viewing this thread