What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

Want to do a side bet of some kind?  We're about the same point in training, and my gym is closed down so I'm squeezing in workouts around family time like everyone else
Yes!  Name the bet and I'm in.  I need something to keep me motivated because I'm completely depressed by the uncertainty that faces this world right now.  If it's a monetary bet, we can donate it to charity.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm WFH for the foreseeable future and I only got 3200 steps yesterday  :lol:  

Gonna be tough to keep up the progress if this continues for a while (like it seems it will).
Yup.  I know I'm eating and drinking more.  Part of it is the fact that I have to feed my kids in my house 3x / day, and we always eat meals together as a family.  And part of it is stress / anxiety induced eating and drinking.

Maybe i looked at the wrong source, but one site i read discourage counting calories, etc., but just to eat your two meals normally without going overboard.  Obviously I know if I eat 3000 calories between two meals, the fast isn't going to erase that.  Part of the reason I chose it this time was the lack of tracking, thinking, etc.

But that said, like magic I lost a pound overnight so I ended up down a pound after my first week:

3/4 - 185.4
3/11 - 184.5 (down .9 lbs)
3/4 - 185.4
3/11 - 184.5 
3/18 - 185.0 (down .4 lbs)

Went backwards this week, but other than fasting for 16 hours, I didn't really watch what I ate.  Thus, I'm not surprised I backslid.  Too many girl scout cookies in the house.

Now working for home starting today indefinitely, I'm still going to try to fast, because if I don't I know I will be eating constantly throughout the day.  I will have to figure out a mid day workout or something when I step away from the computer for lunch.  Otherwise I'm going to gain 10 lbs before I transition back to the office.

Week 9 IF Check in:

Week 1 = -1 lbs. overall
Week 2 = -2 lbs. overall
Week 3 = -3.5 lbs. overall
Week 4 = -5.0 lbs. overall
Week 5 = -6.5 lbs. overall
Week 6 = -7.0 lbs. overall
Week 7 = -8.0 lbs. overall
Week 8 = -7.0 lbs. overall
Week 9 = -8.0 lbs. overall

This is gonna be tough... 

I've got resistance bands, a 26 pound KB, and a handful of lighter KBs and dumbbells. I need to come up with a plan to work out. 

Then I need to actually work out. 

It's weird, I went to the gym religiously and couldn't wait to go do it, but working out at home just doesn't have the same appeal.

fred_1_15301 said:
Yes!  Name the bet and I'm in.  I need something to keep me motivated because I'm completely depressed by the uncertainty that faces this world right now.  If it's a monetary bet, we can donate it to charity.  
I don't really care about 10 miles but that's what you were going for so we could work towards that if you want. Or now that you're not training specifically for a 10 mile run we could do a fastest 5 miles or fastest 10k or something.  Or we could just do something around total miles or total number of days running. I don't even care about the stakes it's just nice to have some accountability. 

Anyone else want to join us?  Maybe we can get some people together and do a group goal of some kind 

I've got resistance bands, a 26 pound KB, and a handful of lighter KBs and dumbbells. I need to come up with a plan to work out. 

Then I need to actually work out. 

It's weird, I went to the gym religiously and couldn't wait to go do it, but working out at home just doesn't have the same appeal.
Maybe get your wife to join this time ;)  

I don't really care about 10 miles but that's what you were going for so we could work towards that if you want. Or now that you're not training specifically for a 10 mile run we could do a fastest 5 miles or fastest 10k or something.  Or we could just do something around total miles or total number of days running. I don't even care about the stakes it's just nice to have some accountability. 

Anyone else want to join us?  Maybe we can get some people together and do a group goal of some kind 
I like the idea of a group goal as opposed to a competition.  Perhaps target a pre-specified cumulative number of miles each week.  

MAC_32 said:
This thread needs to remove its head from its ###. It's a new world now. It's on you to stop feeling bad about yourself and figure out how to do the right things anyway. Adapt or die.
So true.  We're all struggling.  World is turned upside down, more so for some of us than others based on geography, I assume.  I need the holes in my sack to finish healing up so I can get back on the erg.  and I need to figure out how the heck to do it twice a day, to offset the ridiculous depression eating and drinking.

But yeah, you're right, we're struggling.

So true.  We're all struggling.  World is turned upside down, more so for some of us than others based on geography, I assume.  I need the holes in my sack to finish healing up so I can get back on the erg.  and I need to figure out how the heck to do it twice a day, to offset the ridiculous depression eating and drinking.

But yeah, you're right, we're struggling.
I would imagine most of us working from home are saving a bunch of money on a weekly basis, I know I will be.  Maybe we need some sort of short term wagers/motivations to keep us all engaged.  Losers toss $5 each at some agreed to charity.  Small amounts for each of other who are likely buying lunch/coffee/etc at a lower rate, while as a group potentially making a difference to someone doing some good.

Maybe that amount is too small for some, but I'm thinking something small on a weekly basis to keep everyone engaged, while not being a prohibitive amount to get as many people in as possible.

Just an idea/starting point for discussion.

WFH challenge that I have with some peeps from work. Might be too easy for the adonises in here but it's something:

100 pushups / 100 sit-ups / 5 minutes of planks of your choice before noon. 

30 minutes of walking outside or cardio of your choice done by EOD

I've mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again with all the people now WFH. Give Yoga a try.

I've had a bowflex in my basement forever. I never lasted more than 4-5 days before I got bored and quit doing it. On Jan 1st, I started the 30-day Yoga challenge and I still havent stopped. One of the things she (adriene) said that really resonated for me was "just get yourself to the mat, Ill take care of the rest". It became my mantra. I never thought about what I was about to do. I just drug myself to the mat and let her take over. It always starts with a nice, slow warmup. By the time you realize you're working, you're halfway done. Once finished, you feel great.

The thing I did not expect was that every single day I do Yoga, I immediately go to the bowflex afterwards for an additional 20-30 minute workout. I could never get myself to do it before, but somehow after Yoga, I do it without even thinking. 

Give it a try. Its free and its only 20-35 minutes a day

I've mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again with all the people now WFH. Give Yoga a try.
I've been doing Sun Salutation ever since you suggested yoga earlier in this thread - and I love it!  I do some lower body stretching first and then go through the sequence 3 times and hold each pose for 5 seconds (not sure if that's how you are supposed to do it, but that's what I do) - 15 minutes tops each morning.  It's paid dividends for sure because I can now workout/walk/etc. without my back giving me problems and causing me to stop those other activities.

I've had a bowflex in my basement forever. I never lasted more than 4-5 days before I got bored and quit doing it. On Jan 1st, I started the 30-day Yoga challenge and I still havent stopped. One of the things she (adriene) said that really resonated for me was "just get yourself to the mat, Ill take care of the rest". It became my mantra. I never thought about what I was about to do. I just drug myself to the mat and let her take over. It always starts with a nice, slow warmup. By the time you realize you're working, you're halfway done. Once finished, you feel great.

The thing I did not expect was that every single day I do Yoga, I immediately go to the bowflex afterwards for an additional 20-30 minute workout. I could never get myself to do it before, but somehow after Yoga, I do it without even thinking. 

Give it a try. Its free and its only 20-35 minutes a day
Just signed up - thank you for this!  I'm going to start tomorrow.

Today is a "rest day" for me, after finishing my three separate team challenges and my 110-day challenge yesterday.  Happy to report that, from Nov. 29-March 17, the only two days I did not do at least an hour of purposeful exercise were Dec. 26 and 27.  Frankly, this was really tedious, and I was ready for it to be over.  But I might start up a new string of days tomorrow.  :bag:   In any case, I will do the 30 days of yoga to mix things up a bit!

Just signed up - thank you for this!  I'm going to start tomorrow.

Today is a "rest day" for me, after finishing my three separate team challenges and my 110-day challenge yesterday.  Happy to report that, from Nov. 29-March 17, the only two days I did not do at least an hour of purposeful exercise were Dec. 26 and 27.  Frankly, this was really tedious, and I was ready for it to be over.  But I might start up a new string of days tomorrow.  :bag:   In any case, I will do the 30 days of yoga to mix things up a bit!
Signed up earlier today with the plan to start tomorrow. We’ll see if I do. I’m doing pretty well with the exercise and eating so I may give this a shot.

posted this in gmtan, worth posting in here too.  finally got in a work out!

on an awesome note:  my kid has been doing tae kwon do for the last 4-5 years.  she just tested for her black belt in feb.  the dojang and the master of the dojang are AWESOME.  he set up  a virtual classs thru ZOOM.  he was at the dojang and maybe 25 kids were at home, doing a normal(ish) class.  the master saw me setting stuff up for my kid, moving the car etc., and called me out to join the class.  "mr Raiders!!  what are you doing?  it's time to work out!"  so i did!  it was a great workout.  my kid was both mortally embarrassed and proud.  high light of my day! 

PSA: Just dawned on me I should freeze my LA Fitness gym membership.  Given what's happening, can't imagine I'm going there for a few months at least (and I was barely going before since my switch over to rowing anyway).  

PSA: Just dawned on me I should freeze my LA Fitness gym membership.  Given what's happening, can't imagine I'm going there for a few months at least (and I was barely going before since my switch over to rowing anyway).  
Gyms are going to be hurting badly during this shut down. Not sure what industry will fare the worst, tourism, travel, restaurants, bars, or gyms.

My biggest loss since week #1. I'm in a different boat than most because I always WFH and I've been eating all of my meals at home since I started this diet on 1/1. I was ready to hang it all up and go back to the real world of bbq and brewpubs once it got nice out. Now I figure Ill just keep going since we're stuck at home. Its all routine at this point and there's not much else to do "out there" right now anyway. Ive been doing yard-work projects for the majority of my exercise lately.

1/2 - 184.6 lbs

1/9 - 179.8 lbs

1/16 - 177.4 lbs

1/23 - 176.0 lbs

1/30 - 174.8 lbs

2/6 - 172.4 lbs

2/13 - 172.2 lbs

2/20 - 171.0 lbs

2/27 - 169.6 lbs

3/5 - 167.4 lbs

3/12 - 165.8 lbs

3/19 - 163.0 lbs

I joined Lifetime a couple months ago so I could take my kid to the gym with me. It's expensive and I was getting ready to put it on hold.  I had a bad feeling they were going to give me a hard time, make me cancel a month in advance, physically come in ,or mail something, whatever.  I had a bunch of "free" stuff that they gave me when i signed up and it was set to expire this month - swim lessons for my kid, Lifetime bucks that can be spent on a personal trainer or swim lessons, etc 

I was planning to just quit on the spot when this happened, even though i like the place a lot.  

But before I could, they called me to tell me they were closing the gym down indefinitely, they put my gym membership on hold, rescheduled the swim lessons i had set up for my kid, and made sure that my Lifetime bucks that were set to expire at the end of the month don't. 

That's not something small gyms can afford to do.  Their business model is to sign a lot of people up and hope most of them don't show up very often and don't quit.  This place kept me as a customer and earned a lot of goodwill by proactively doing something all their customers wanted anyways.  That's an expensive but really strong business move.  

Trying times everyone, trying times. I took a week off mostly just because I wasn't feeling it. Watching the $$ evaporate + trying to work with a 2 year old at home & two working parent has been... sup-optimal. Luckily(?) the stress had me losing weight so dropped under 230 for the first time in a looong time. Definitely reinforced though that weight <> health. 

Brother finally got me back on the train last night so did a 30 minute row. Going to try to keep it up if not every day at least...most days.

Keep on keeping on everyone. 

I joined Lifetime a couple months ago so I could take my kid to the gym with me. It's expensive and I was getting ready to put it on hold.  I had a bad feeling they were going to give me a hard time, make me cancel a month in advance, physically come in ,or mail something, whatever.  I had a bunch of "free" stuff that they gave me when i signed up and it was set to expire this month - swim lessons for my kid, Lifetime bucks that can be spent on a personal trainer or swim lessons, etc 

I was planning to just quit on the spot when this happened, even though i like the place a lot.  

But before I could, they called me to tell me they were closing the gym down indefinitely, they put my gym membership on hold, rescheduled the swim lessons i had set up for my kid, and made sure that my Lifetime bucks that were set to expire at the end of the month don't. 

That's not something small gyms can afford to do.  Their business model is to sign a lot of people up and hope most of them don't show up very often and don't quit.  This place kept me as a customer and earned a lot of goodwill by proactively doing something all their customers wanted anyways.  That's an expensive but really strong business move.  
i'm a lifetime member as well.  they also sent out an email stating that all dues will be credited, as long as they are closed.  good company.

E-Z Glider said:
My biggest loss since week #1. I'm in a different boat than most because I always WFH and I've been eating all of my meals at home since I started this diet on 1/1. I was ready to hang it all up and go back to the real world of bbq and brewpubs once it got nice out. Now I figure Ill just keep going since we're stuck at home. Its all routine at this point and there's not much else to do "out there" right now anyway. Ive been doing yard-work projects for the majority of my exercise lately.

1/2 - 184.6 lbs

1/9 - 179.8 lbs

1/16 - 177.4 lbs

1/23 - 176.0 lbs

1/30 - 174.8 lbs

2/6 - 172.4 lbs

2/13 - 172.2 lbs

2/20 - 171.0 lbs

2/27 - 169.6 lbs

3/5 - 167.4 lbs

3/12 - 165.8 lbs

3/19 - 163.0 lbs
This is awesome.  Slaying it.  And you're well positioned for this quarantine stuff.

I'm struggling.  And mad.

feeling quite sore from the last 2 work outs.  that damn tkd workout involved a ton of muscles, i never use.  100's of punches and kicks..  love it!

GET SOME!!!

Got back on the erg this morning.  Easing back in after my procedure  (OH IT'S SUPER GREAT ROWING WITH STITCHES IN YOUR NUTS), so just went with a 30 min row.  Felt pretty good.  I'll start doing daily and ramping back up.  Would like to also implement afternoon workouts over time many days, either bodyweight exercises, or even just long walks or bike rides with eldest daughter.  That kind of thing.

But yeah, I need to do something, because we've been in a bad place here with the eating and drinking... aye....

Got back on the erg this morning.  Easing back in after my procedure  (OH IT'S SUPER GREAT ROWING WITH STITCHES IN YOUR NUTS), so just went with a 30 min row.  Felt pretty good.  I'll start doing daily and ramping back up.  Would like to also implement afternoon workouts over time many days, either bodyweight exercises, or even just long walks or bike rides with eldest daughter.  That kind of thing.

But yeah, I need to do something, because we've been in a bad place here with the eating and drinking... aye....
Do you and @eaganwildcats want to do a thing?  Does anyone else?

I could add to a group goal.  The more incentive I get, the better. 

FYI, I have 45 miles in so far in March and hope to add another 30 or so.
I think a realistic goal for me at this point would be ~ 15 miles a week.  That assumes I can average 2 miles a day during the week and a 5 mile run on one of the weekends.  That seems doable given my new schedule.

Ideas 

1) increase goal milage by tem percent per week

15 miles a week the week of March 23rd

Then 16.5 the week of March 30th

Then 18.2 April 6th

Then 20.1

Then 22.2

Then 24.4 the week of April 27th

30 by mid may

2) increase long run by 10 percent per week- seems like we're all around 5 right now so do 5, 5.5, 6.1, 6.7, 7.4, 8.2, 9, 10 miles by mid May?

3) we're all doing about 30 to 45 minutes right now - increase to 90 minutes by mid May?  Would allow us to include @Otis and @eaganwildcats

something else?

I'm open to anything.  Bet, or 5 bucks a mile/ minute that we miss our goal by, maybe doing a club run of some kind with facetime/ zoom/ whatever... ideas? 

Ideas 

1) increase goal milage by tem percent per week

15 miles a week the week of March 23rd

Then 16.5 the week of March 30th

Then 18.2 April 6th

Then 20.1

Then 22.2

Then 24.4 the week of April 27th

30 by mid may

2) increase long run by 10 percent per week- seems like we're all around 5 right now so do 5, 5.5, 6.1, 6.7, 7.4, 8.2, 9, 10 miles by mid May?

3) we're all doing about 30 to 45 minutes right now - increase to 90 minutes by mid May?  Would allow us to include @Otis and @eaganwildcats

something else?

I'm open to anything.  Bet, or 5 bucks a mile/ minute that we miss our goal by, maybe doing a club run of some kind with facetime/ zoom/ whatever... ideas? 
I’m so in on whatever. 

i fairly certain, my knees won't cooperate with the running.  however, i want to do something, anything to increase the chances of working out in some fashion.  keep the ideas coming.

To be clear, I don’t want to be competing against anyone, just myself.  I’d be in for trying to hit the goals.
That's what i want too

I don't care about which goal(s) people choose, I don't care if money is involved, i just figure we're all looking for a goal and some accountability.  

Would anyone want to do a scheduled run/row on facetime/zoom/gotomeeting/ anything?  Would probably work whether you're inside or out but just a day where a bunch of ifriends get together, see if we can schtick it up a little and have fun with it?

Users who are viewing this thread