What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

Been slacking off.  Diets been ok, not great.  Exercise has been limited the past week or so.  Weight floating around 289-291.  Need to refocus.  I’ll have extra time in July for exercise as I’m looking at 10 days of furlough.

Been slacking off.  Diets been ok, not great.  Exercise has been limited the past week or so.  Weight floating around 289-291.  Need to refocus.  I’ll have extra time in July for exercise as I’m looking at 10 days of furlough.
Have you ever considered a service or a private chef that could make the meals according to what you like and can make them fairly healthy so you don't have to think about it? Maybe just a few meals a week, and then you can sub in some healthier snacks that are easy to just grab and bite down on like fruit 😉 

A bag of this I swear by. I eat them all the time any time, brown sugar is your friend, any fruit on top and you won't be hungry for hours. There is an art to making them, the longer they can simmer the creamier they get, just slide down. 

I'm guessing that cooking isn't a lot of fun right now so I just wanted to offer some suggestions of stuff that's easy. 

It usually takes at least 5 days to meet your goals. 

You seem to need rules to succeed.

I like the daily exercise thing rule for you but when you had a couple days in a row earlier where you couldn't row, you just gave up. Maybe daily exercise but include some non rowing exercise if you can't row?  Like taking the family for a walk or bike ride?  Or something where you reward yourself for working out, like you can't have certain foods unless you rowed?

I like the no drinking rule for you because I think you go off the rails when you drink, but if you don't think that's possible, then one cheat day per week which can include alcohol?  And maybe you need 5 days of exercise to earn that cheat day? 

You seem to struggle when you think "I've got this". Like the moment you get in the groove, you're like,  ok, I've accomplished this, I don't need to try hard anymore. The hard part isn't the first week. It's the seventh consecutive week. I feel like you need a goal and stakes of some kind.  Maybe a deal with your wife that if you each meet your goals you get to do something you both like, and if one of you "wins" they get to pick something?  Might be next vacation, or a home remodel you both want, or something you wouldn't normally purchase. 

You seem to struggle at night. Maybe start doing the fbg poker tourneys again or some other non alcohol, non food activity?  Bonus points if you choose something with the family more often. 
This is good stuff GB. Great points all. 

Yes night time is when I struggle. Always been what kills me. 8-10pm. If I went to sleep at 8 each night I’d be all good!  Idle hands...:

You’re right that alcohol kills me too.  When I moderate it’s not a problem — Bud Select 55s, White wine spritzers, stuff that is light and not tons of calories.  The guzzling bottles of red wine seems to be my biggest problem on the alcohol side.  I just can’t drink enough scotch these days for that to be a problem, same with beer, and I’m particularly safe with very light beer.  I enjoy drinking, and it’s probably unrealistic to give it up entirely.  Just need to moderate with the above in mind and not drink every day.

Day 4 yesterday.  Morning row, ate really well, first alcoholic drink of the week. We both had a hard day and retreated to it. But it was “good drinking”—white wine spritzers (I make mine with ice and more seltzer than wine). Didn’t go off the rails. Had a few and went to bed. Didn’t raid the cabinets for chocolate or cold pizza. 

Day 5 today. Rowed again, 5 in a row. Will eat well, will drink light this evening. 

I think we’re past the recent trouble spot now. The new puppy was killing us, but now we have a morning routine where we both get up early, and after we handle the dog and kids there’s enough time for me to row and the wife to go for a long walk.  It’s helping both our moods and overall approach immensely. I think so long as I can keep rowing, I’ll be Ok. Going to start increasing the length of my rows a bit too, such that I’ll be doing 10ks daily like I was before. 

Stakes, games, rules all sound good. I think for me, there are three key rules. Let’s keep it simple:

1. Row every day. There will be occasional days where I can’t believe we’re heading out of town early or something, but in general, row every day. 

2. Drink moderately. Don’t drink every day. In fact, drink less than half the week. And steer clear of stocking the cabinets with red wine. If it’s not there, we can’t drink it. And it seems to be my trouble spot. 

3. Greatly moderate the junk food. A mini bag of Wise chips in the evening after a day of really healthy eating and a row is fine. But don’t overdo it. 

Otis said:
This is good stuff GB. Great points all. 

Yes night time is when I struggle. Always been what kills me. 8-10pm. If I went to sleep at 8 each night I’d be all good!  Idle hands...:

You’re right that alcohol kills me too.  When I moderate it’s not a problem — Bud Select 55s, White wine spritzers, stuff that is light and not tons of calories.  The guzzling bottles of red wine seems to be my biggest problem on the alcohol side.  I just can’t drink enough scotch these days for that to be a problem, same with beer, and I’m particularly safe with very light beer.  I enjoy drinking, and it’s probably unrealistic to give it up entirely.  Just need to moderate with the above in mind and not drink every day.

Day 4 yesterday.  Morning row, ate really well, first alcoholic drink of the week. We both had a hard day and retreated to it. But it was “good drinking”—white wine spritzers (I make mine with ice and more seltzer than wine). Didn’t go off the rails. Had a few and went to bed. Didn’t raid the cabinets for chocolate or cold pizza. 

Day 5 today. Rowed again, 5 in a row. Will eat well, will drink light this evening. 

I think we’re past the recent trouble spot now. The new puppy was killing us, but now we have a morning routine where we both get up early, and after we handle the dog and kids there’s enough time for me to row and the wife to go for a long walk.  It’s helping both our moods and overall approach immensely. I think so long as I can keep rowing, I’ll be Ok. Going to start increasing the length of my rows a bit too, such that I’ll be doing 10ks daily like I was before. 

Stakes, games, rules all sound good. I think for me, there are three key rules. Let’s keep it simple:

1. Row every day. There will be occasional days where I can’t believe we’re heading out of town early or something, but in general, row every day. 

2. Drink moderately. Don’t drink every day. In fact, drink less than half the week. And steer clear of stocking the cabinets with red wine. If it’s not there, we can’t drink it. And it seems to be my trouble spot. 

3. Greatly moderate the junk food. A mini bag of Wise chips in the evening after a day of really healthy eating and a row is fine. But don’t overdo it. 

For me:

1. 5/7 days per week rowing. Get back to 10ks versus the weak 30 mins here soon.

2. Intermittent fast on weekdays 16/8

3. No eating after 7 on weekends

cheeseypoof said:
Two hardest things are taking it off and keeping it off. You've taken some off and you've survived a slacking off period without giving it back. This is the human part of the process where it's just difficult not to take any breaks when you're on a long road like you are.

That said, remember that you have not met your goals. That's a really important thing to remind yourself of from time to time because we tend to get complacent when we think we have accomplished something. Remind yourself why your goals are important to you and get back to it. 

Love that you're going to be pushing hard in july. So am I and so is Otis. And plenty more of us I'm sure. Let's do this together. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Otis said:

I think another place you struggle is that when you break a rule, you break all of the rules, like, #### it, I'm already cheating, let's go to town. 

So let's tweak those rules a bit. 

Rowing every day means you'll miss a day and go off the rails. 

"Drink moderately" and "Greatly moderate junk food" are just another way of saying you don't think you can give up junk food or drinking. 

So let's do this. 

No drinking and snacking unless you row. 

If you row, you get to have a drink or a snack. Not both. 

You can save up a night if you need to, and you can go into the bank if you screw up. 

So Monday you row and you have a snack. Tuesday you row and you have a drink. Wednesday you don't get to row but you still have a drink. Oops, you owe a row. No big deal. Thursday you row and no drink. Back to good. Friday you row, no drink or snack, so you put one in the bank for later. Saturday you row and get to drink and snack. And so on. 

Then commit with your wife to hold you accountable to these rules. 

You'll still need to work on keeping your portion sizes down but at least if you gamify it together you'll have your wife's support, which might mean not offering you a snack on a day you didn't row, or encouraging you to get up and row on a day you don't want to. 

Just some thoughts. 

Weighed in at 224.3 today - Broke my goal of 225 which was set on 1/1 when I weighed 257.7. Very happy, but not satisfied yet.

New goal 210 by Thanksgiving. I just have to keep eating right and walking 15k steps.

Thanks to everybody that has helped me and held me accountable along the way. 
That is awesome. So proud of you. Watched you keep at it this whole time and you have just been chugging along and killing it. Keep up the good work. 

• Smile
bostonfred said:
It usually takes at least 5 days to meet your goals. 

You seem to need rules to succeed.

I like the daily exercise thing rule for you but when you had a couple days in a row earlier where you couldn't row, you just gave up. Maybe daily exercise but include some non rowing exercise if you can't row?  Like taking the family for a walk or bike ride?  Or something where you reward yourself for working out, like you can't have certain foods unless you rowed?

I like the no drinking rule for you because I think you go off the rails when you drink, but if you don't think that's possible, then one cheat day per week which can include alcohol?  And maybe you need 5 days of exercise to earn that cheat day? 

You seem to struggle when you think "I've got this". Like the moment you get in the groove, you're like,  ok, I've accomplished this, I don't need to try hard anymore. The hard part isn't the first week. It's the seventh consecutive week. I feel like you need a goal and stakes of some kind.  Maybe a deal with your wife that if you each meet your goals you get to do something you both like, and if one of you "wins" they get to pick something?  Might be next vacation, or a home remodel you both want, or something you wouldn't normally purchase. 

You seem to struggle at night. Maybe start doing the fbg poker tourneys again or some other non alcohol, non food activity?  Bonus points if you choose something with the family more often. 
The I've Got This part is a major hurdle. Every time he writes that I immediately think of that scene in Moneyball when they're trying to talk Hatteberg into playing First Base. Success will not be attainable until @Otis takes the Ron Washington line of thinking. There's more to it than just that, but setbacks are a when not if until recognition that this will be hard not only settles in, but as you said - is still the mind set 7 weeks later too. 

Otis said:
The new puppy was killing us
No it wasn't. A change in your schedule, a poor mental approach, and alcohol addiction is what's killing you. The change to your schedule this time just happened to be a puppy. 3 months ago it was covid. There will be a different change to your schedule in August or September. Then the bloated holidays approach. And as Christmas is approaching you realize you're still fat. Go through 2-3 months of winter progress. Then inevitably run into another one of those hurdles in March. Give up. Then repeat all that again.

If you want to be successful then you must figure out your way over those real life hurdles when they happen. Rather than just blankly staring at it when they pop up, wave the white flag, and go to your alcohol filled comfort zone until you're ready to come out again. You have to prepare for those hurdles now. Not the specific hurdle, but what you are going to do when they pop up. If your preparation is THIS IS EASY!!! then you will continue to fail. You must prepare as if this is the day another hurdle pops up. You must have your priorities aligned in advance. Then if today comes and goes and you didn't need to adjust, great, but prepare as if tomorrow will be the day.

Weighed in at 224.3 today - Broke my goal of 225 which was set on 1/1 when I weighed 257.7. Very happy, but not satisfied yet.

New goal 210 by Thanksgiving. I just have to keep eating right and walking 15k steps.

Thanks to everybody that has helped me and held me accountable along the way. 
:towelwave:

You're going to smash that goal

No it wasn't. A change in your schedule, a poor mental approach, and alcohol addiction is what's killing you. The change to your schedule this time just happened to be a puppy. 3 months ago it was covid. There will be a different change to your schedule in August or September. Then the bloated holidays approach. And as Christmas is approaching you realize you're still fat. Go through 2-3 months of winter progress. Then inevitably run into another one of those hurdles in March. Give up. Then repeat all that again.

If you want to be successful then you must figure out your way over those real life hurdles when they happen. Rather than just blankly staring at it when they pop up, wave the white flag, and go to your alcohol filled comfort zone until you're ready to come out again. You have to prepare for those hurdles now. Not the specific hurdle, but what you are going to do when they pop up. If your preparation is THIS IS EASY!!! then you will continue to fail. You must prepare as if this is the day another hurdle pops up. You must have your priorities aligned in advance. Then if today comes and goes and you didn't need to adjust, great, but prepare as if tomorrow will be the day.
Let's talk squats 😉 

No gym access right now, what's a good idea for a person who has thinner legs let's say and trying to get the base of the house worked out first?

-Now as far as Otis goes...I know someone who I think is somewhat similar in her approach to exercise. That's why I was suggesting he get his kids involved. Otis is a family man and I think doing activities with his children...usually folks in legal/attorneys from my experience get swamped in paper and are not always able to spend as much time as they like with family (there's a cost to making cheddar) so I thought if he got his kids out on bikes with him, an hour would fly by. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's talk squats 😉 

No gym access right now, what's a good idea for a person who has thinner legs let's say and trying to get the base of the house worked out first?
I have a 12 pound medicine ball and about a 40 yard backyard. One thing I've been doing is starting at the deck and doing medicine ball squats-and-throws all the way to the back fence then back. Once doing this long enough I added a little jump to each rep too. 

The bottom step to our deck isn't a full step, which is perfect for russian speed lunges.

I also do walking lunges in the backyard. We have a slight incline and from front-to-back I can do about 50 reps. We've got bags of things like grass seed and weed & feed in the garage I'll carry as weights. If the gas can is full that works too.

I'll also use those as weights to do single leg romanian dead lifts. Great leg strength/balance combo exercise. Very humbling if your balance is out of whack. In fact, you may not even need a weight at first. 

If you have something that can be used as a box there are lots of good suggestions here. We replaced our AC unit, but I asked them not to dispose of the old one. I'm just using it until it inevitably breaks.

Tl;dr - be creative, but stick to the basics.

Now as far as Otis goes...I know someone who I think is somewhat similar in her approach to exercise. That's why I was suggesting he get his kids involved. Otis is a family man and I think doing activities with his children...usually folks in legal/attorneys from my experience get swamped in paper and are not always able to spend as much time as they like with family (there's a cost to making cheddar) so I thought if he got his kids out on bikes with him, an hour would fly by. 
:yes:

We got our oldest a fitbit for his birthday a couple months ago. Admittedly, a component of that has been for monitoring purposes. We don't do forced family exercise every day, but we've gotten in the habit of checking his steps sometime late afternoon/early evening. If the number is low then we know we're doing something active with the kids that night. We may even if he's attained his goal steps, but we prioritize it if they've clearly been couch potatoes all day.

@Otis

You need to read this post 10 times.  And then you need to read it every single day.  It's not a matter of "if", but "when".  You still haven't figured out how to deal with changes to your routine that keep you from falling off the rails. 

Also, you're already conceding to your alcohol problems again.  Drinking "only a few times/week" isn't a good plan.  You've shown already you can get by without alcohol as you did well for a couple weeks without it.  You proclaimed how good you felt, how well you slept, how alcohol was "poison".  Drinking a "few" spritzers or light beers isn't addressing that issue.  Alcohol should be a carrot, not your norm.  It's your downfall every. single. time.

Put up a picture of your kids wherever you keep the alcohol.  Think of them every time you reach for one and ask yourself it it's worth it.  Because your current lifestyle is shortening your life, which shortens your time with them and shortens their time with you.  You want to pay for some big weddings for those girls and ultimately enjoy those grandkids and you may not be around for any of that. 

You seem to have your wife on board with you right now.  Help each other and control that addiction. 

It's been good seeing you row every day this week.  It's a good start.  But it's only 1 piece of a much larger puzzle that you can't solve yet.

Talk to us about how you stay mentally tough and stay in the zone if you don't mind. 
Cliff notes version - I don't. At least overtly. The path to get here required it, but eventually it just becomes habit. Now it's just priorities and preparation. Emphasis on the word 'now.' It took a long time to get here.

Long version

We schedule exercise time each week. We generally front load it because stuff happens. If we get to the weekend and stuff led to us falling a little behind then that's when we make up for it. For me it's a minimum 7 hours exercise time, unless it's a stepback week. Sometimes I take a day off. Sometimes I don't. My body, the schedule, and mother nature will tell me when to take one. 

We also meal prep each week. The fridge is generally filled to the brim sometime Sunday. Sometimes there is some actual cooking involved during the week, but we are sure not to rely on it if the schedule is already quite full. There is usually a produce run mid-week, only picking items of the grab-and-go variety (no buying a pineapple and thinking it'll actually get chopped up before the weekend). And we typically run out of anything of consequence by Friday, but because we've been practicing good habits all week we'll usually just do take out that night.

I also make sure I get plenty of rest. If I don't then all of the above suffers. These are all things we all have at least some control over. Stress is the 4th component to being healthy, of which many of us don't have control over. Sure, we have some, but not nearly as much of the other 3. And if your rods and cones get messed up then it effects the other 3. From my experience this is the most difficult component to grasp in a quest to being healthy and requires customization to your own unique reality. And also requires you to be aware that you won't ever get it right all the time. So the goal is to get it right as often as possible. You need to self assess and figure out your own unique stressors then figure out an action plan to neutralize them.

I have a 12 pound medicine ball and about a 40 yard backyard. One thing I've been doing is starting at the deck and doing medicine ball squats-and-throws all the way to the back fence then back. Once doing this long enough I added a little jump to each rep too. 

The bottom step to our deck isn't a full step, which is perfect for russian speed lunges.

I also do walking lunges in the backyard. We have a slight incline and from front-to-back I can do about 50 reps. We've got bags of things like grass seed and weed & feed in the garage I'll carry as weights. If the gas can is full that works too.

I'll also use those as weights to do single leg romanian dead lifts. Great leg strength/balance combo exercise. Very humbling if your balance is out of whack. In fact, you may not even need a weight at first. 

If you have something that can be used as a box there are lots of good suggestions here. We replaced our AC unit, but I asked them not to dispose of the old one. I'm just using it until it inevitably breaks.

Tl;dr - be creative, but stick to the basics.
✅

I’ve been doing lots of HIIT and Body Combat lately.  Waiting for my body pump bar and weights to come in and then I’ll start adding the strength training.  It’s so much more fun than running and I burn tons of calories.

I’m still eating ok but not tracking calories anymore.  I hardly ever snack with the exception of eating fruit. I will say that tracking calories for the one month has made me much more cognizant of how bad snacking is.  I weighed myself yesterday and haven’t gained or lost a pound in months (which is where I want to be)

Weird night, where I faded in front of my TV at 9PM or so, woke up at midnight, went to bed. Woke up at 2AM with an allergy attack (it's not 'rona) and knew I wasn't sleeping anytime soon, so I stayed up and went for my walk at 6:15 like usual. I wasn't expecting much, but I roared around the hood at an 18:42 clip, which I haven't achieved all week. Huh.

The scale says I lost 2.9 pounds this week. It's been a bit of roller coaster lately, but the net is in the right direction.

One thing that getting a Fitbit made me realize is how intertwined diet, exercise, alcohol, and sleep really are.

Sleeping poorly makes it really hard to get motivated to exercise, and also makes junk food a lot more tempting. Exercise greatly improves sleep quality. It's all in the numbers on my Fitbit app, plain as day. Alcohol really detracts from the quality of my sleep. Maybe everyone is different, but even just two glasses of wine means that only about 10% of my sleep will be below resting heart rate instead of over 90%. It also detracts from my percentage of deep sleep and REM. Alcohol doesn't reduce the quantity of my sleep, but it greatly reduces how restorative it is.

So there's a spiral that makes everything easier -- or harder -- all at once. Avoiding or minimizing alcohol helps with sleep. Sleep helps with diet and exercise. Exercise helps with sleep and with motivation for diet. They all work together. Doing one well makes the rest of them easier. Doing one poorly makes everything harder.

If I were going to try to fix one thing at a time, I'd probably start with sleep. Winding down and going to bed earlier has been really helpful whenever I've done it.

eaganwildcats said:
Sweat out that regret. 30 mins 7241m 160 avg HR. Maf++
Yesterday was outside almost all day with the boy so just didn’t have it in me to row (he also woke up 30 mins after being put down and stayed up till 10) life, man. Been active again today but am going to get the row in tonight. 

• Smile
Maurile Tremblay said:
One thing that getting a Fitbit made me realize is how intertwined diet, exercise, alcohol, and sleep really are.

Sleeping poorly makes it really hard to get motivated to exercise, and also makes junk food a lot more tempting. Exercise greatly improves sleep quality. It's all in the numbers on my Fitbit app, plain as day. Alcohol really detracts from the quality of my sleep. Maybe everyone is different, but even just two glasses of wine means that only about 10% of my sleep will be below resting heart rate instead of over 90%. It also detracts from my percentage of deep sleep and REM. Alcohol doesn't reduce the quantity of my sleep, but it greatly reduces how restorative it is.

So there's a spiral that makes everything easier -- or harder -- all at once. Avoiding or minimizing alcohol helps with sleep. Sleep helps with diet and exercise. Exercise helps with sleep and with motivation for diet. They all work together. Doing one well makes the rest of them easier. Doing one poorly makes everything harder.

If I were going to try to fix one thing at a time, I'd probably start with sleep. Winding down and going to bed earlier has been really helpful whenever I've done it.
:yes:  They all feed into each other - diet exercise, sleep, (and stress). Slip up in any one of those areas and the others are also likely to suffer. 

Maurile Tremblay said:
I think Matthew Walker would agree with you, I've tried to change my behavior after listening to this podcast.

Talk to us about how you stay mentally tough and stay in the zone if you don't mind. 
If you don't mind an interloper, and @MAC_32 is mentally way more tough than I am, but I have a little to add to his post.  Stuff that works for me.  Probably all stuff you've heard before.

FWIW, about ~8 years ago I got on MFP and got myself down from ~236 to 190.  Been using MFP ever since.  It's probably tops on the list for me mentally managing my intake.  So many foods I won't eat now, because "it's not worth the calories".  I bought a 12-pack of beer in January, and I'm not even halfway through it.  Special occasions (like post virtual 5K FBG Zoom calls) only!

Then three years ago, I started hiking, which turned into trail running, which turned into street running.  That got me from 190 to 165, where I am today.  I now float between 160 and 170, depending on the week.

My tips, in no particular order:

1. I run/exercise in the morning.  Do the work before I get the reward.  So I don't spend the whole day dreading the run.  I get up at ~0430 on 10K days and ~0330 on 20K days.  Not everyone is going to do that, but it's habit now.  Routine is key for me.  Also it forces me to bed earlier.  Less opportunity to drink/eat.
  2. Don't bring home #### from the grocery store.  I have way more willpower at the grocery store than I do at home.  If the Oreos aren't in my pantry, I can't eat them.  If all I have in my fridge are turkey burgers, guess who's having a healthy dinner!  So, for those of you with a love of beer/wine, get it out of the house.  Tough to do, I get it.  
  3. I cut out the sugar about three years ago.  There have been off-the-wagon weeks in the mix, but otherwise it's been great.  I love cereal, but only eat the low-sugar variants.  I know foods I like that don't have sugar (tacos, turkey/chicken burgers, etc).  I have substituted sugar with heat (jalapenos, etc).
  4. I am a huge numbers nerd (because of my job), and Strava has been massive for me.  It has motivated me to get up the mountain faster than the last time.  Run more miles this month than last.  Do a virtual 5K/10K/1mi race series with a bunch of online #BMFs and try to get a PR.
  5. Finally, mentally for me, getting into a routine and never breaking the habit is paramount.  In my mind, one skipped run will lead to more skipped runs.  Which then leads to not being able to eat as much as I want.  And get fat.  And lose the fitness I have worked so hard to gain over the last ~3 years (lifetime couch-sitter prior to that).  And not be able to achieve my running goals (my first 50-miler or 100K) in the future.  I often take this too far, running when I'm hurt, or running too frequently (or in terrible conditions) where the gains are minimal, because I'm forcing things.  But I don't want to break the habit.
I appreciate you letting me drop into your world for a few minutes.  I'll go back to the 10K thread, which is awesome.  I am positive there isn't a more supportive group of running/fitness dudes on this earth than there.

i hit 600 km of biking for june so that rules and i am declaring this a kick butt week where i will do at least 150 minutes of workout a day and hit my calory goal every day and come out of this week feeling good and not like i sold the farm over a holiday week take that to the bank bromigos 

i hit 600 km of biking for june so that rules and i am declaring this a kick butt week where i will do at least 150 minutes of workout a day and hit my calory goal every day and come out of this week feeling good and not like i sold the farm over a holiday week take that to the bank bromigos 
Nice, I hit 600 km of biking as well in June this morning.   Are you part of the FFA strava group?  It is mostly folks from the 10k thread but a few bikers are in there as well.  Would recommend it to all.   

@Zasada

What a terrific post, I can't lie to this group, I was really off the mark this past weekend and has me hitting the pause button on some things I had wanted to try and start. I don't even want to talk about it nor would you enjoy reading it all 😆

Back to Basics again. 

I get what you're saying, but I dunno if tough is the right word @Zasada. I think disciplined is. And it isn't something that can be taught. It's from developed habits over time.

And finding that balance between discipline without being a robot is a difficult one. Cause most of us won't sustain success if the expectation is being a robot. I have never figured out the right way to articulate it. How does one maintain discipline without being a robot? Cause I'm not a robot. I'm not a macros tracker. I'm not a calorie counter. I spend very little time outside of a race-specific training cycle thinking about any of this stuff. The routine's just developed naturally. Generally I only think about this stuff when making the grocery list Sunday, mapping out the workout plan Monday morning, and engaging in one of these threads.

For example, this is what I put together this week:

Workout plan - I'll decide what exactly I'm doing and when the night before that particular day. But looking at our schedule for the week that should fit.

Mon Easy trail run 

Tue More difficult trail run + Strength

Wed Easy trail run

Thu Moderate intensity run + Strength

Fri 80 minute run + Golf

Sat Strength + Yard

Sun Easy run

**prepare grocery list - don't veer from list while at store**

Meal plan

Sun Pasta Salad and Grilled Chicken

Mon Don't cheat

Tue Ribs & Asparagus

Wed Taco Salad

Thu Hopefully leftovers

Fri Out

Sat Out

Sun Detox

---

Real, detailed, huh.

But I think it works because we have a bunch of already prepped food in the fridge. That way when I get hungry i wander to the fridge and grab some greek yogurt and throw some pineapple/blueberries in there. Or a giant bag of sliced peppers and munch on them til I get bored. Or a hard boiled egg. Or an avocado. Etc. Because it's all that's in there. This week I am sure whatever dietary decisions are made Friday and Saturday will be poor ones, but between all those good habits practiced throughout the week and the hours of scheduled activity (not to mention the unscheduled activity) I should curb whatever I shove in my pie hole this weekend.

---

I also don't think the above works for someone trying to figure it out. It isn't a recipe for growth. This is aspirational. This is maintenance. It first took the difficult progression stage and then years of trial & error for me to figure out what worked (and what didn't). The reason I'm sharing this is as a light at the end of the tunnel. This can be simple (eventually) - the road to it? It's a bumpy one. But no matter what, discipline is paramount.

So...you guys playing cards?

I apologize that I dropped off this thread a bit, but my GAF went on an extended vacation with Otis's.  And personal life #### has had me depressed and eating/drinking poorly for most of the past six weeks or so.  Congrats to those who have been doing a great job, like Flying Turtle, MOP, cheesey (most of the time!), Raiders, SWC, the freds, and others I know I'm forgetting.

The good news:  despite that, I finished my @Tecumseh challenge today, having done at least one hour of purposeful exercise every day for the last 100 days!  Believe me, there were days I was so down I felt I couldn't do it, but I always forced myself into it, just because I'm stubborn and hate to lose.  Tomorrow I am taking the day off, though!

The medium news:  as mentioned, my diet's been pretty bad at times, and I ramped up my drinking again, not to earlier levels, but to more than I'd been doing when losing weight.  But, I didn't really gain weight back, or rather I would gain a few pounds, see that I had, and then lose it again.  So I've been up and down by 2-3 pounds over the past couple of months, but always stayed under what my goal had been by 7-8 pounds.  I don't mind if it creeps up a little here and there, as long as it creeps back down in equal measure.  :)   Right now I'm still ~8 pounds under what had been my goal.  I need to be more consistent with the good eating and less drinking, though, rather than back and forth.

The bad news:  still depressed and searching for my overall GAF.

I'm taking tomorrow off of exercise for the first time since mid-March, but then July I'm going to hit it again.  Not another everyday challenge, but my plan is to work out for longer each time, but skip some days.  It's hiking season so I should be able to get out for day-long hikes and such.  And I'm stalking up on nice cold flavored (not sweetened) waters to substitute for the wine.  And damn it, I'll eat less pizza, OK?

:shrug:   i've been drinking too much, with the return to work.  it's been incredibly stressful.  just swimming in viral soup, daily.  and people are the f'ing worst!  it's not the best situation, to be honest.  

luckily, the physical rigors of the job have kept me at 181ish.  but, i'd like to get back to exercising regularly.  my gym is open, but none of my bougie, pampering things are open, sauna, steam, jacuzzi.  all closed.  what's the point?  :spoiled:  i'm actually putting the membership on hold next month.  it costs too much money, not to have all of the amenities i like/need.  

that being said, i'm going to have to make some sort of commitment, in july, to drink less/exercise more.  i am escaping to mammoth for 4 days, :pickle:   for my daughter's bday mid month.  so there's that.    

Nice, I hit 600 km of biking as well in June this morning.   Are you part of the FFA strava group?  It is mostly folks from the 10k thread but a few bikers are in there as well.  Would recommend it to all.   
i am on strava and love it its basically my partner in weight losing crime along with my fitness pal but i am not in the group basically i would have to reveal my secret identity and hey clark that aint happening so bam but i wish you and all other stravachachos the best take that to the bank bromigo 

Good Morning everyone, 

I decided to just try and break out of whatever funk I was feeling down the stretch here and went for a walk/run this morning, more running than walking for sure. I usually will go 3 miles in about an hour but this morning I managed to go 3 miles in 45 minutes with long stretches of "jogging" I would say. I had managed to get a hip pointer a week or two ago and it really slowed me down. This morning I started walking at 6am, started stretching in the street as I was walking and then I just wanted to run and went with it. When things started to pull or hurt I just slowed down and walked a bit then started up again. 

-Early is good, and I'm even playing Tennis tonight. I played last Tue/Wed/Thurs/Sat and this week on T/W/Thur I will be at 7x in 10 Days, honestly that is too much and I want to go 2-3x max per week so that I have time to get into strength training and still do some daily cardio, I was making big strides on the bike, got a flat and I need to fix it and get back out there.

On the Tennis front, I have to share that this past weekend I ended up sitting down for a minute after I came off the Courts and it was near the front of the Main Entrance and I was sitting there with one of my Doubles partners talking and for whatever reason every person walking in and out of that place either knew me or wanted to know me 😉  and all I'm saying is that you would have thought I was the GDF Mayor of Palm Beach Gardens, now that I have dropped 35 lbs I'm a lot more magnetic let's say.

-I choose to post in here, nobody makes me. I choose to exercise, nobody twists my arm. I choose to eat right and make healthy decisions, nobody forces me to eat things. (Those statements are for me) 😆 

We close June today with about 2,400-2,500 Minutes after tonight, quite a dip from 3,500 the past two months however I feel pretty good and I definitely consumed too much junk and alcohol this past weekend and just want to get going into July. I was wanting to get a mental health thread moving but I am going to push that off for a bit. I can still honor all of you by just continuing to be the best MOP I can, mind, body and spirit. I've got some major things about to launch in my professional life and I can honestly say I don't think I would be in this position without this journey going back to Late March/Early April. 

Huge fan of run/walk.  Been doing a lot of it myself lately in this heat.
I'm in Palm Beach area, it's been 95 degrees everyday which when there's a nice breeze is livable but there hasn't been rain for a couple weeks now and nothing in the upcoming forecast to suggest a change so it's unbearable if you don't get out before the sun comes up. I can barely stand up at night when we play Tennis by the 2nd Set, hands on the hips, awful. And night is like 6pm which is still hot. 

I pretty much just jog for a few minutes and then walk and then as soon as I can breathe easier I just start taking off again. You can feel a big difference and 3 miles is a decent distance. 

The feels like is between 105-110 daily, yuck

The heat index was 84 degrees this morning before sunrise, which is ominous. Didn't slow me down, went around the hood at an 18:36 pace. Perhaps I am adapting to the longer route, just one week later than before. Still in no hurry to change anything up, though I wouldn't mind having the gym as an option. But since I am unlikely to get rained out in the next ten weeks or so, I'm good.

Well I'm switching back to my old routine, but at home gym wise.  Upper/Lower Push/Pull/Leg but adding a 6th tempo barbell full body day in front of the upper/lower split, because I feel good.  So it's basically FULPPLR (R=Rest) 

I really miss some of the machines.  Feel like a 60/20/20 mix of free weight, cables, and machines is best.  I have a cable thing I bought which has probably substituted for about half of the machine stuff so I'm missing about 10% of the effective machines.

And I'm really held back that I don't have any heavier DB than a 60.  I do feel like the lack of being able to cycle in low rep sets at heavy weight ultimately will be a problem, but whatever.

I'm doing about 3ish HIIT type workouts also during the week and walking a lot. Have never really put this much effort into working out.  So I guess that's a nice aspect of COVID.  I'm able at times to join conf. calls while working out, can go of mute yammer for a minute, go back on mute and lift.

Considering getting a whoop strap.  I am not sure if I'm overdoing it and that strap tracks that.

Users who are viewing this thread