What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

Had a mixed week.  Just a long week with the kids, Mrs. O off the rails due to that stress, and I went down in flames with her. A few perfect days to start the week, but then trailed off.  (It’s the same story as usual — started to drink some, then started to drink more, then ate garbage and stopped tracking).  I’m basically static with where I was, and really need to make some headway this coming week.  Though I did get a row in this week, first time in a while.  Would like to make that a more regular thing.  And to a comment @bostonfred made for me in his thread, which stuck with me, if you’re gonna #### up a bunch, that’s fine, but then you’re most important skill will be learning how to get back on track after you #### up.  It’s a good point.  And that’s what today is about for me.

Related, I came across a concept on a blog yesterday that resonated with me.  It basically is eating for nourishment rather than deprivation.  The concept is rather than thinking about eating as a restrictive diet in which you’re depriving yourself of something, reframe and think about it as eating to nourish your body.  When you think about it that way, the powdered donut, delicious as it may be, just feels like a much worse choice than a banana or bowl of oatmeal.  

I couldn’t find the exact quote that I came across yesterday on social media, but found this in a Google search this morning, which is the same concept:

https://www.natalieshay.com/blogs/dieting-vs-nourishment-learn-a-new-way-of-eating

Anyway, just found it somewhat interesting, thought I’d share.

Folks, as a reminder, it’s now March.  We’re now closer to Summer than we are to the past holiday season.  Let’s get this going.  I don’t know about you, but I’d like to feel good and fit this summer.  LET’S GO 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mixed week for me too.   I am probably not going to like the scale tomorrow.    Hurt my knee and can’t work out hard enough to erase calories.   Ate too much a couple of days.  Going off the rails one day/week has not typically hurt my slow weight loss plans.  Going off the rails two days and not working out with intensity is going to result in disappointment.   

Today is a new day and the start of a new week.   I am working out this afternoon and am not going out to eat today.   Dang restaurants spell disaster for those of us that can’t control our food intake.  

Had a mixed week.  Just a long week with the kids, Mrs. O off the rails due to that stress, and I went down in flames with her. A few perfect days to start the week, but then trailed off.  (It’s the same story as usual — started to drink some, then started to drink more, then ate garbage and stopped tracking).  I’m basically static with where I was, and really need to make some headway this coming week.  Though I did get a row in this week, first time in a while.  Would like to make that a more regular thing.  And to a comment @bostonfred made for me in his thread, which stuck with me, if you’re gonna #### up a bunch, that’s fine, but then you’re most important skill will be learning how to get back on track after you #### up.  It’s a good point.  And that’s what today is about for me.

Related, I came across a concept on a blog yesterday that resonated with me.  It basically is eating for nourishment rather than deprivation.  The concept is rather than thinking about eating as a restrictive diet in which you’re depriving yourself of something, reframe and think about it as eating to nourish your body.  When you think about it that way, the powdered donut, delicious as it may be, just feels like a much worse choice than a banana or bowl of oatmeal.  

I couldn’t find the exact quote that I came across yesterday on social media, but found this in a Google search this morning, which is the same concept:

https://www.natalieshay.com/blogs/dieting-vs-nourishment-learn-a-new-way-of-eating

Anyway, just found it somewhat interesting, thought I’d share.

Folks, as a reminder, it’s now March.  We’re now closer to Summer than we are to the past holiday season.  Let’s get this going.  I don’t know about you, but I’d like to feel good and fit this summer.  LET’S GO 
I like that idea of thinking of it as nourishment.  Whatever we can do to tell our brain to commit to a healthier lifestyle, I’m in favor of it.  

And to a comment @bostonfred made for me in his thread, which stuck with me, if you’re gonna #### up a bunch, that’s fine, but then you’re most important skill will be learning how to get back on track after you #### up.  It’s a good point.  And that’s what today is about for me.

Regarding the first point I'm glad to hear that resonated and that you're back on track.  

Regarding the second point I always say that positive goals are more important than negative ones. 

It's hard to say I'm not going to eat the thing, because at 8:00 you don't eat the thing and then at 805 you don't eat the thing and at 810 you don't eat the thing and then at 815 you finally break down and eat the thing and even though you were good 3 out of 4 times you still did bad.  

I wake up knowing I'm going to have coffee and stay under calories for the day. I know I want at least 120g protein and 30g fiber.  So when I pick a breakfast I'm thinking about how it helps me achieve that goal. A light multi grain english muffin with two eggs and cheese is 314 calories, 19g protein and 8g fiber which are all pretty awesome towards those goals.  When i have a healthy lunch I feel like i accomplished something. Every time I log my food I feel good about it.

There's a huge mental difference between saying I have to or I can't vs I'm going to and look what I did. Be proud of those good things you're doing and keep doing them. 

We have nothing on the agenda today.  Still maddeningly ####ing cold in NY, but we have a week ahead where it will get into the 50s and even a day in the 60s.  I can’t want for Spring harder right now. But still, today I plan to get out for a long walk with the dog.  Also will plan to get in a row, since we have little else to do, really no excuse not to.

Also will eat to feel well and treat my body well today.  Trying to think about going to the beach on a warm sunny day in the middle of June.  How do I want to look and feel?  That’s just 3 months away.  2lbs per week between now and then and I’d feel like a new person...

So I've been a bit lax on the rower the last couple of months after a strong start in October-December. (this is TLEF by the way....for 1 more week until my absurd 2+ month TO is over) Work was busy and I had a couple of minor injuries and probably a little bit of seasonal depression. But I'm back at it again and trying to use Asensei to ramp back up and keep my workout fresh.

I started with the Eric Murray beginner program and it seems pretty clear that despite the break I took, its probably just too casual for me. Even turning the damper settings up to like a 6, I just can't force myself to go SLOW enough at the start of the ladder workouts. Going less than 26 strokes per minute is a total snooze fest. So I struggle to stay at that pace unless i barely pull on the handle at all. Any sort of drive at all and there's just no way I'm going less than 26 (let alone 20).  So I can get through like 3/4 of the workout without any effort at all.

I think part of it is that Murray is much taller than me (I'm 5'11 and he's like 6'5) so he's got a lot longer to go.  So I guess my question is....does it get hard enough that its gonna be worth it or should I just jump to one of the other plans on the ap?

I honestly just have no idea how he goes so slow on the way down. It feels like he's recovering FOREVER. No matter how hard I try, I'm back at the bottom of the stroke in like half the time he is. I'm sure part of is experience and core stability/practice, but to me, its just going REALLY slow.

Tall guys suck.
If you can’t go that slow, you need to work on your technique!  The Asensei rows get a bunch harder.  I enjoyed that program with Eric and will do it again.  I rowed in college and even for me it was a helpful reminder about my positioning and technique.  I’m just an inch shorter than he is, and with long legs, so maybe easy for me to say, but I would say stick with it and follow the program.  Your stroke should be smooth up and down the slide.  And when you hit the 30 stroke/min rows, your form and stroke will be a lot more effective!  So I say, stick with it and follow the plan.  

If you find the workout too easy, then put in another 20-30 minutes of just free row after that, with higher stroke rate ladders that you just guide yourself through.

Related note: one thing I noticed in my row the other day.  Even though I’m not down a ton of weight, I’m down a little, and I noticed my gut was a little less in the way while rowing :bag:   Kind of motivated me to keep it up, because I can imagine my rowing getting better and better for that reason alone.

Heads up that Adriene is putting out a new, 46-minute "Yoga for a Fresh Start" video on Sunday.
I'd like to try this if time permits 

It's my kid's birthday today and he's been up since before 6 saying let's go. My wife let him call her brothers just so she could get some peace for five minutes. They did not answer. I might need a fresh start by the end of the day 

Left arm is still tender and won’t be able to do push-ups for the 3rd day in a row.  I’m no longer counting this against my push-up goal. Once I’m physically able to do them, I’ll restart the counter.  
Your streak was impressive. I did 24 days of 100 pushups in a row and was noticing my form was going to crap so I stopped.  I'm not sure i could do months in a row like you did. 

Left arm is still tender and won’t be able to do push-ups for the 3rd day in a row.  I’m no longer counting this against my push-up goal. Once I’m physically able to do them, I’ll restart the counter.  
This is way. 

Much like making positive goals about food, this is the right attitude about injury.  If you’re legitimately injured*, be kind to yourself.  Get better, and get then get after it.  No mental mind ####. This becomes more important as we age.  Because, sadly.....injuries are more common. 

*while not injured, you’re out of commission.   Congrats. 

I'd like to try this if time permits 

It's my kid's birthday today and he's been up since before 6 saying let's go. My wife let him call her brothers just so she could get some peace for five minutes. They did not answer. I might need a fresh start by the end of the day 
It was just OK.  Started with 8 minutes or so of breathing, which makes me antsy.  It picks up with some Warrior II stuff and a couple of balance poses, so it probably was a decent workout overall.  Lots of 40-50 minute practices we've posted here that I enjoyed more, though.

Back from my 3+ months. Gave up on the plant-based diet. The kids were no longer into it and it was becoming more hassle than it was worth. The positive is that even though I’ve been eating like #### and drinking like an #######, my activity level is keeping the weight off. 

Good day yesterday.  Stayed over 500 calories below my MFP limit; rowed; salad for lunch; wife and kids wanted McDonald’s, and I had a cheeseburger and small fries (1/3 of my old McDs meal, and only after checking calorie counts); no snacks; had a single white wine spritzer before bed .   This morning woke up and broke out my Kachava superhealthy health nerd shakes for breakfast, hadn’t had one in a while.  So, we’re back on it.  

Week of warmer weather coming along, will get into the 60s.  I’ll plan to take my laptop out in the yard and work in the sun, get the dog out for some walks, stay 100% on point and below calorie goals, and make the most of it.

In golf they talk about "swing thoughts."  And how it's so damn hard because when you get up to swing, and you have someone coaching you, there are like nineteen things you need to keep in your head.  Hard to focus and not be totally overwhelmed.

Keeping it simple today.  Swing thoughts for the day are "nourish and take care of my body" and "how do I want to feel in June?"

Otis said:
Good day yesterday.  Stayed over 500 calories below my MFP limit; rowed; salad for lunch; wife and kids wanted McDonald’s, and I had a cheeseburger and small fries (1/3 of my old McDs meal, and only after checking calorie counts); no snacks; had a single white wine spritzer before bed .   This morning woke up and broke out my Kachava superhealthy health nerd shakes for breakfast, hadn’t had one in a while.  So, we’re back on it.  

Week of warmer weather coming along, will get into the 60s.  I’ll plan to take my laptop out in the yard and work in the sun, get the dog out for some walks, stay 100% on point and below calorie goals, and make the most of it.
In my non-expert, non-medical opinion - which is not advice of any kind - the best part is that you checked calories before ordering McDonald's.  I don't really care as much about staying 500 under goal and it doesn't bother me that you indulged in McDonald's or a white wine spritzer, you're certainly eating less than your old 20 mcnuggets and a double cheeseburger value meal order or a whole bottle of wine so this is unquestionably a step in the right direction. 

But getting back to tracking after some bad days and checking calories before eating something instead of afterwards means you stopped the slide and are back on track.  And now you're starting a streak of good days. 

In my non-expert, non-medical opinion - which is not advice of any kind - the best part is that you checked calories before ordering McDonald's.  I don't really care as much about staying 500 under goal and it doesn't bother me that you indulged in McDonald's or a white wine spritzer, you're certainly eating less than your old 20 mcnuggets and a double cheeseburger value meal order or a whole bottle of wine so this is unquestionably a step in the right direction. 

But getting back to tracking after some bad days and checking calories before eating something instead of afterwards means you stopped the slide and are back on track.  And now you're starting a streak of good days. 
Legit question here for people in different states. Do your fast food menus have the calorie counts on them? Here is California it has been around for probably a decade but I know that made a big difference on educating myself before I tried calorie counting with MFP.  

Back on the dawn patrol this morning, which made the walk a lot colder than it had to be, but this is the way (for me, when possible, don't attempt this at home, etc).

Pace was 18:47, because I finally got a decent night's sleep on Sunday. Look at me, adulting over here.

Legit question here for people in different states. Do your fast food menus have the calorie counts on them? Here is California it has been around for probably a decade but I know that made a big difference on educating myself before I tried calorie counting with MFP.  
Big restaurants usually do but small ones don't I'm not sure on the laws. It could be chain restaurants already have it in their menus and online for California so they just do it here too, I'm not sure.

I definitely prefer places that have published calorie info though which sucks because it discourages me from supporting mom and pop stores but the nutrition info is important to me because I don't know the recipe 

Yes, chains here (Washington) have them.

Bleh.  3/1/21.  The number of pounds I want to lose is now 16.  Watch this space on 3/8/21.
Week One:  -2.0 pounds, 14 to go

I really don't deserve to have lost any weight last week, so I'll take it.  For the first half of the week, I existed solely on lasagna, then Thursday I ate all of the food and drank all of the booze, and Friday I ate poorly due to the hangover.  I attribute the loss to (1) eating well Sat/Sun, and (2) other than Thursday, significantly reducing alcohol intake.

Week One:  -2.0 pounds, 14 to go

I really don't deserve to have lost any weight last week, so I'll take it.  For the first half of the week, I existed solely on lasagna, then Thursday I ate all of the food and drank all of the booze, and Friday I ate poorly due to the hangover.  I attribute the loss to (1) eating well Sat/Sun, and (2) other than Thursday, significantly reducing alcohol intake.
So it sounds like you can have fun and still lose weight!  Looks like you're onto something.

I think most fast food chains also have the nutritional info online.  Last time I took my kid to ChicFilA, I made sure to look at that online before ordering for myself.  My problem is that every Saturday night we get takeout (and it's always a local, non-chain restaurant).  I have no clue how to track that and so I just don't bother.    :shrug:    But I try to plan ahead (Saturday's are generally just a cheat day for me anyways).  

Just checking in as it has been a while.  Still logging food most of the time (weekend are iffy) and losing slowly.

Last weekend was free from yoga and pushups, just yard work in suburbia on the first nice weekend of the year.  Over 10k steps both days.  

Monday I did week 5 day 1 of pushups, 149 total, along with a 45min or so yoga session.  It was a Kassandra session, but I actually don't remember what it was. 

Yesterday I did Yoga With Adriene Strength Flow.  It was a nice session, but it felt like she crammed a 60-min flow into 40 minutes.  There was barely a breath in most poses.  It did have lots of thigh and ab work.  I will keep it in rotation because she's at a lake/pond and outside.  

Bigger personal news, lucked into getting my first vaccine yesterday on the first day I was eligible.  Found a slot online randomly, so grabbed it.  Very little side effect so far, but my arm is sore and I actually have a little bruise.  I'm planning to try doing my pushups today, but may opt out if it's too painful.  I was able to walk the dog and do my yoga yesterday after the shot, so hoping that will help the arm heal faster.  

Keep up the good work.

Got my 2nd Covid shot yesterday and being the ####### that I am, I made the mistake of attempting 100 pushups later that night.  I completed 75 and went to sleep behind by 125.  By the time I got to bed, my left upper arm felt like an elephant stomped on it.  I still can barely move it at all and now starting to feel chills.  Long day of work ahead as well.  Needless to say, there will be no exercise for me today (perhaps a walk if it warms up).  So I'll need to make up 225 pushups by tomorrow and who knows if I'll physically be able to do anything by then.    :sadbanana:

Bigger personal news, lucked into getting my first vaccine yesterday on the first day I was eligible.  Found a slot online randomly, so grabbed it.  Very little side effect so far, but my arm is sore and I actually have a little bruise.  I'm planning to try doing my pushups today, but may opt out if it's too painful. 
FYI maybe just wait

Yesterday I did Yoga With Adriene Strength Flow.  It was a nice session, but it felt like she crammed a 60-min flow into 40 minutes.  There was barely a breath in most poses.  It did have lots of thigh and ab work.  I will keep it in rotation because she's at a lake/pond and outside.  
I did that one a couple weeks ago and my thought was that it was that the slow motion turning around warrior pose sequence was good but not really something I want to do every time. Like you said a good one to keep in the rotation.  Here's what krista said about it 

I did this one today.  Whatever the hell I did Friday that killed my abs is still affecting me, so the hardest part of this for me was the cat-cow, which was extremely painful!  Wtf.  I did enjoy this one, and though I don't remember the flows themselves, I remember some of her silly comments so am sure I did it before.  This is one of those that doesn't feel difficult to me (other than crow, which I skipped) but somehow I found myself breaking a sweat anyway.  Definitely a good one to keep in the rotation.  I love standing half splits.

Wife got her second Covid shot yesterday, and I tagged along because I heard that the mass vaccination sites are prone to give walk-in vaccines if there were no-shows earlier in the day.  Needless to say I ended up getting one.  Within a minute of getting the shot I could feel myself getting nauseous and clammy.  After 10 minutes my body and clothes were covered in sweat that rivals some of my 20+ mile mountain bike rides.  The staff came to check on us to make sure no allergic reactions, saw me and gave me an anti-nausea pill which cleared me right up.

I told myself I would get out on a bike ride when I got home since I didn't do any exercise Monday.  Once I got home I felt like someone slipped me a roofie.  I've never felt so tired in my life.  My body just wanted to collapse and I was having trouble keeping my eyes open.  The last thing I remember was sitting on the sofa at around 8:00.

The positive is that today I feel great and am going to get a good ride in.  

Wife got her second Covid shot yesterday, and I tagged along because I heard that the mass vaccination sites are prone to give walk-in vaccines if there were no-shows earlier in the day.  Needless to say I ended up getting one.  Within a minute of getting the shot I could feel myself getting nauseous and clammy.  After 10 minutes my body clothes were covered in sweat that rivals some of my 20+ mile mountain bike rides.  The staff came to check on us to make sure no allergic reactions, saw me and gave me an anti-nausea pill which cleared me right up.

I told myself I would get out on a bike ride when I got home since I didn't do any exercise Monday.  Once I got home I felt like someone slipped me a roofie.  I've never felt so tired in my life.  My body just wanted to collapse and I was having trouble keeping my eyes open.  The last thing I remember was sitting on the sofa at around 8:00.

The positive is that today I feel great and am going to get a good ride in.  
That's mildly horrifying but good 👍 

This is the one I did twice within a week without realizing 'til the end I'd just done it.  You'd think the differing locale might have triggered some memory, but nope.  Not one of my top choices, but I like the parts near the end with standing splits and such.  Keeping it in the rotation, hopefully not quite as often.

Congrats on the shot!!!

I had a very, very bad day yesterday on the personal front, and work was so busy and stressful that I got my miles in but not any yoga.  That is, until right before bed when I was poking around Adriene's March calendar trying to choose something to do today, and I saw that yesterday's practice was a 26-minute session called, "Stress Melt."  Though I usually do yoga in the morning, I figured I'd wedge this in right before bed since the title was calling my name.  It had some parts that were more difficult than I'd expected for stress-melting (mostly just an endless amount of time in lunges), but I really could feel it all working, and I fell asleep much more quickly than I usually do.  So it might be a good one for some of our other insomniacs like @Judge Smailsto try before bed as well. 

Today's 32-minute "Abs, Arms, and Attitude" on Adriene's March calendar seemed pretty good for a short-ish core workout.  Pretty much non-stop action throughout, no downtime.  Not horribly difficult, but difficult enough that I had a couple of "whew, it's finally over" moments and then she'd go into side planks or something.  Worked up a sweat!  Also had a particularly cute Adriene moment where she recommends you pet a dog if you have one in front of you, or an imaginary dog if you don't.  

Today's 32-minute "Abs, Arms, and Attitude" on Adriene's March calendar seemed pretty good for a short-ish core workout.  Pretty much non-stop action throughout, no downtime.  Not horribly difficult, but difficult enough that I had a couple of "whew, it's finally over" moments and then she'd go into side planks or something.  Worked up a sweat!  Also had a particularly cute Adriene moment where she recommends you pet a dog if you have one in front of you, or an imaginary dog if you don't.  
I do that one pretty often.  It's one of the ahorter videos from the yoga for weight loss series and it's definitely a good calorie burning workout more than a bendy stretchy. She can be a little cloying sometimes with the attitude part but she stops herself before it gets annoying. 

If you like the surprise it's not really over yet thing then boy would you like core strength ritual which is 23 minutes but she tricks you because she's a merciless ########## #########.  

bostonfred said:
I do that one pretty often.  It's one of the ahorter videos from the yoga for weight loss series and it's definitely a good calorie burning workout more than a bendy stretchy. She can be a little cloying sometimes with the attitude part but she stops herself before it gets annoying. 

If you like the surprise it's not really over yet thing then boy would you like core strength ritual which is 23 minutes but she tricks you because she's a merciless ########## #########.  
Putting on my list!  I have a growing list of ones for those days when I don't see something on the calendar that I want.  I skipped the March 6 "Awaken the Artist Within" session (40 minutes), though, and feel like I need to go back to it.  I figured I had no "artist within," but I read some of the YouTube comments and think I should try this one.  I also still have the Total Body Yoga, Deep Stretch one to try that you and Poke did.  

NON Workout Stuff ---

I have forgotten to mention this earlier in the week, but if you have any family that qualifies for Covid vaccines, but your region or insurance has had nothing available, check out CVS online.

My parents have been checking 4-5 times a day with the myturn.com, their county, and their insurance group and had no luck. Both qualify and my mom actually qualified a while back but (that's where I get my easy gainer genes from - thanks mom) we have had no luck. I log onto CVS to check out their hours last Sunday and they had a banner running saying now completing Covid vaccines. About 15 minutes later I had all of their appointments setup and they got their first shots this week. There was three locations within 30 minutes of them doing the shots and featured a ton of appointments after normal business hours (dad retiring this year). I have seen it get absolutely no publicity in our area and have told a few other friends that were stuck in a similar situation that now are good to go.

Workout Stuff ---

The past two days I have gone hard on the bike and loved the Sweet Steady ride I did for the first time. Great workouts paired with a core workout yesterday and pushups the day before. It paid off as I broke the 180.0 mark landing at 179.6 for the first time probably since a month after meeting my wife almost a decade ago. My upper body is definitely getting stronger and it feels great.

Also, my new kjettlebell has been shipped and I can't wait. Comp kettlebells are my new addiction. 😁

Down 24.8 pounds since starting this.

Keep up the great work everyone! 🤙

NON Workout Stuff ---

I have forgotten to mention this earlier in the week, but if you have any family that qualifies for Covid vaccines, but your region or insurance has had nothing available, check out CVS online.

My parents have been checking 4-5 times a day with the myturn.com, their county, and their insurance group and had no luck. Both qualify and my mom actually qualified a while back but (that's where I get my easy gainer genes from - thanks mom) we have had no luck. I log onto CVS to check out their hours last Sunday and they had a banner running saying now completing Covid vaccines. About 15 minutes later I had all of their appointments setup and they got their first shots this week. There was three locations within 30 minutes of them doing the shots and featured a ton of appointments after normal business hours (dad retiring this year). I have seen it get absolutely no publicity in our area and have told a few other friends that were stuck in a similar situation that now are good to go.

Workout Stuff ---

The past two days I have gone hard on the bike and loved the Sweet Steady ride I did for the first time. Great workouts paired with a core workout yesterday and pushups the day before. It paid off as I broke the 180.0 mark landing at 179.6 for the first time probably since a month after meeting my wife almost a decade ago. My upper body is definitely getting stronger and it feels great.

Also, my new kjettlebell has been shipped and I can't wait. Comp kettlebells are my new addiction. 😁

Down 24.8 pounds since starting this.

Keep up the great work everyone! 🤙
Wow, congrats on the weight loss and breaking through 180!

And great job on the vaccine appointments.  The distribution and finding appointments has been a nightmare here (WA), too.  

Users who are viewing this thread