What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

It boggles my mind, how some people can eliminate entire food groups: carbs, fats, etc..... or just eat only potatoes, but REFUSE to count calories/macros (ie. portion control)!!!

Seriously. It's easy to do.

- Visit iifym.com -> calculators -> IIFYM calculator: input all the data, select weight loss as goal. It will give you how many calories you need consume and the exact breakdown of protein, fats, and carbs.

- Download myfitnesspal on your phone.

- Buy a food scale ($15 bucks on Amazon) and measuring cups.

- Track your calories/macros whenever you eat. At this point all you should really focus on (1) hitting or being under the total caloric limit AND (2) meeting the recommend protein intake to ensure you keep your muscle. I don't pay strict attention to carbs and fat because BOTH ARE SOURCES of ENERGY and in a deficit your body should use both. Also don't worry about hitting it those exactly, if you're a little more on protein or a little under it's fine as along as you stay at or under the caloric limit.

I know it seems daunting and time consuming, but just do it. Once you start, you realize it's not that hard and you can eat pretty much everything... you just need to budget. After a while it's super fast (since you probably eat the same foods) and I pretty much treat it as a daily puzzle. Of course cooking meals at home is best, but most chain restaurants are in the app and if you eat somewhere that's not a chain restaurant just find something similar or break it down as if you were making it at home. Plus you can also scan the UPC codes and it will input all the data for you. The great thing is you're not relying on some unsustainable diet...you're building habits that you can use the rest our your life. 

Again, if you guys are disciplined enough to not eat carbs or eat only potatoes for a whole month.....please, please, please give flexible dieting/IIFYM (if it fits your macros) a try.
I've basically done this the first 2 weeks and lost 13 lbs.  I use myfitnesspal to track everything.  I have a scale to weigh food.  I did weight watchers before which teaches all this stuff and went from 258 to 198, but then I had to travel out of the country for work for weeks at a time and it got difficult, I got tired and lazy and went back to old bad habits.  I can do this and it will work, but I wanted to try this potato thing to see if I got any results.  If I get results, maybe I'll switch back and forth or just go back to eating core foods.  I've never tried any of those crazy diets before, but reading about the potato hack got me curious.  Building good habits is the key I agree, I just needed to try something different for a while.

Most people don't understand how to tweak their diet late day to hit their macros if not on full prep. I sure as hell don't. And full prep is boring as ####. 

If some macro based diet is the game plan then just join weight watchers. Its the same thing more or less. 

Obligitaory link

https://youtu.be/Wd8tZiHexPc
More excuses. I don't meal prep, but I do rely on frozen foods and meals I eat regularly. Each day is a new puzzle. 

I don't track macros to a T. Whether cutting or bulking, I just make sure I hit my calorie goal and protein goal. The ratio of fats and carbs isn't a huge factor unless you're stepping on a body building stage. I don't track oils I cook with, because I'd rather adjust my PORTIONS versus my cooking style. Losing weight is more about consistency than precision.

Breakfast:

Work days:

Pick 2 from Costco Frozen foods: Pizza pocket (330 cal/11 protein), frozen burrito (300/14p), Jimmy Dean Egg White and Turkey Sauage (250/17p), and pita chicken melt (170/22p) + 1 Dannon Non Fat Greek Yogurt (80/12p)

So that's between 500-710 calories/37-51 grams protein per meal. Not the healthiest, but 2/3 meals ain't bad.

Days off:

Meat + Eggs + carb (ramen, bread, rice, pancakes, French toast, oatmeal, etc). Varies, but it's my day off so I have time to plan.

Lunch/dinner: Usually 6 oz of meat (200-400 cal/40p)  + rice/pasta/potatos (150-200 cal/4 p) + veggies. Amount of carbs depends my calories left for the day since my protein is taken care of. Also, I make extra portions for dinner, that I have for lunch the following day. 

350-600 calories/44p per meal.

So really on work days, I'm just cooking dinner and tailoring the carbs/fats to how many calories I have left. The grea t thing with eating left overs for the next day is that you have 1 meal planned out already so it's less to think about. 

Really when you count calories/macros...you eat the about the same amount of meat/protein whether you are cutting/bulking....it's the sides that you change. If people want to eat out for dinner, I usually can find something to fit 

Last edited by a moderator:
More excuses. I don't meal prep, but I do rely on frozen foods and meals I eat regularly. Each day is a new puzzle. 

I don't track macros to a T. Whether cutting or bulking, I just make sure I hit my calorie goal and protein goal. The ratio of fats and carbs doesnt isn't a huge factor unless you're stepping on a body building stage. I don't track oils I cook with, because I'll rather adjust my PORTIONS versus my cooking style. Losing weight is more about consistency than precision.

Breakfast:

Work days:

Pick 2 from Costco Frozen foods: Pizza pocket (330 cal/11 protein), frozen burrito (300/14p), Jimmy Dean Egg White and Turkey Sauage (250/17p), and pita chicken melt (170/22p) + 1 Dannon Non Fat Greek Yogurt (80/12p)

So that's between 500-710 calories/37-51 grams protein per meal.

Days off:

Meat + Eggs + carb (ramen, bread, rice, pancakes, French toast, oatmeal, etc). Varies, but it's my day off so I have time to plan.

Lunch/dinner: Usually 6 oz of meat (200-400 cal/40p)  + rice/pasta/potatos (150-200 cal/4 p) + veggies. Amount of carbs depends my calories left for the day since my protein is taken care of. Also, I make extra portions for dinner, that I have for lunch the following day. 

350-600 calories/44p per meal.

So really on work days, I'm just cooking dinner and tailoring the carbs/fats to how many calories I have left. The great thing with eating left overs for the next day is that you have 1 meal planned out already so it's less to think about. 

Really when you count calories/macros...you eat the about the same amount of meat/protein whether you are cutting/bulking....it's the sides that you change.
Found you a diet, Otis.

It boggles my mind, how some people can eliminate entire food groups: carbs, fats, etc..... or just eat only potatoes, but REFUSE to count calories/macros (ie. portion control)!!!

Seriously. It's easy to do.

- Visit iifym.com -> calculators -> IIFYM calculator: input all the data, select weight loss as goal. It will give you how many calories you need consume and the exact breakdown of protein, fats, and carbs.

- Download myfitnesspal on your phone.

- Buy a food scale ($15 bucks on Amazon) and measuring cups.

- Track your calories/macros whenever you eat. At this point all you should really focus on (1) hitting or being under the total caloric limit AND (2) meeting the recommend protein intake to ensure you keep your muscle. I don't pay strict attention to carbs and fat because BOTH ARE SOURCES of ENERGY and in a deficit your body should use both. Also don't worry about hitting it those exactly, if you're a little more on protein or a little under it's fine as along as you stay at or under the caloric limit.

I know it seems daunting and time consuming, but just do it. Once you start, you realize it's not that hard and you can eat pretty much everything... you just need to budget. After a while it's super fast (since you probably eat the same foods) and I pretty much treat it as a daily puzzle. Of course cooking meals at home is best, but most chain restaurants are in the app and if you eat somewhere that's not a chain restaurant just find something similar or break it down as if you were making it at home. Plus you can also scan the UPC codes and it will input all the data for you. The great thing is you're not relying on some unsustainable diet...you're building habits that you can use the rest our your life. 

Again, if you guys are disciplined enough to not eat carbs or eat only potatoes for a whole month.....please, please, please give flexible dieting/IIFYM (if it fits your macros) a try.
Your definition of easy is different than mine

40 minutes on the elliptical at 9pm last night, lifted this morning, now at my desk workout behind me.  Only coffee consumed so far, come on and try to keep up fellows.

Felt better last night and feel good this morning.  Made 2 potato pancakes for a snack last night out of the mashed potatoes that I had made earlier (boiled potatoes, a little FF chicken stock and salt/pepper).  Placed mashed potatoes on parchment paper on a baking sheet, flattened and baked at 350 for 30 minutes, when brown on the bottom, I flipped them over and baked for another 30.  Removed them from the oven and sliced it like a quesadilla and added a little salt.  They were surprisingly good.

Drinking some water this morning, not feeling hungry, so I'm going to hold off on breakfast a little and see.  Eating right now would be out of habit more than hunger.

40 minutes on the elliptical at 9pm last night, lifted this morning, now at my desk workout behind me.  Only coffee consumed so far, come on and try to keep up fellows.
3 mile run of intense hill climb followed by weights and abs yesterday -- a net negative calorie day. Weighed in at 205 lbs, down from 212 less than two weeks ago. 

Got a great night's sleep, up at 2:30am for work, full of coffee, a protein shake, and some veggie chips. 

3 mile run of intense hill climb followed by weights and abs yesterday -- a net negative calorie day. Weighed in at 205 lbs, down from 212 less than two weeks ago. 

Got a great night's sleep, up at 2:30am for work, full of coffee, a protein shake, and some veggie chips. 
I always do my cardio after lifting but I know some people prefer the other way round.  2:30 for work?

Anyway I ordered peloton shoes. Maybe when I get home at night I should try doing that for 40 minutes, tired as I am.  I have a feeling though that won't last more than two sessions. But we'll try. 
If you do nothing but put on a Jennifer Jacobs ride, sit on the bike without pedaling, and give your knob a workout while she bounces and pants through a 45 minute ride you'll be a winner. 

I like cardio first. Gets my heart rate up. And I do mostly a cardio style of lifting... lighter weights, increased reps.

And yes, I work somewhat of a night swingshift.  :shrug:
I used to do cardio after lifting. Now that I'm a little older, I do cardio first to get a good sweat going so that I'm warned up well before I push around weights. seems like it should help me avoid injury during the weight training. 

Finally broke through the damn wall I had with taters this week. Down 2.6 since Wed AM weigh in now, and 13.4 overall (15 days). Obviously things slow down after that first week or two.. now getting into (2lb/wk) territory, hopefully. 

Finally broke through the damn wall I had with taters this week. Down 2.6 since Wed AM weigh in now, and 13.4 overall (15 days). Obviously things slow down after that first week or two.. now getting into (2lb/wk) territory, hopefully. 
Tater magic!!

Keep it up, GB

Finally back in town.. I'll weigh in monday.  4 days in Harlingen/McAllen - 3 dinners, 2 lunches, and 3 breakfasts with customers.  :porked:

Not feeling good about the next weigh in... hoping I stayed level or lost a pound or two since the last.

Sounds like my day yesterday.  If you take out the exercise, good night sleep, shake and veggie chips.

I'm sitting right at 195.8 today.  So I dipped to about a pound lower and then settled right back in at about a 2lbs per week average.  

I'm fine with that.  These next few weeks are key, I've been lazy on my diet for months and have not broken under 195 yet.  So once I clear that hurdle I think the pounds will start to fall off again.  It's amazing how sometimes your body wants to stick at a certain weight.  

I'm sitting right at 195.8 today.  So I dipped to about a pound lower and then settled right back in at about a 2lbs per week average.  

I'm fine with that.  These next few weeks are key, I've been lazy on my diet for months and have not broken under 195 yet.  So once I clear that hurdle I think the pounds will start to fall off again.  It's amazing how sometimes your body wants to stick at a certain weight.  
What was your starting (upper) weight? I cannot wait to get to 195. Getting below 200 will be a happy day for me. Probably been a couple of years since I've been sub-200.

Woke up today at 324.6 lbs.  Down 29.4 lbs since the end of November.  At this point all I've done is change my eating habits. Smaller portions, better choices, as little refined sugar as possible, try to limit sodium, pay attention to the number of carbs I consume, etc.

I've started keeping track of what I eat using MyFitnessPal, specifically total calories, protein, total carbs, total fat, sugar, fiber and sodium.  MYP said my caloric intake should be about 2210 calories/day based upon my starting and target weights.  I'm trying, successfully for the most part, to stay under 2000 calories per day.

The next change is incorporating some cardio exercise into my lifestyle.  Bought a recumbent bike, I just need to put it together.  That's my plan for the weekend.  I'm trying to figure out an exercise regime that starts slow and builds over time.  My thought was starting out with 30 minute sessions, at easy to moderate pace, 3 times a week and slowly increase the time, frequency and pace as I get used to what I'm doing.

I've also started to attempt to change my sleep habits, in anticipation of starting the exercise program.  I'm tracking my sleep using my Fitbit.  I heading to bed between 10-10:30pm (instead of 11-12pm) and trying to get up for 5:30am.  That's been a struggle so far.  It takes me awhile to fall asleep and I don't want to get out of bed in the morning until I absolutely have to.  But I'm trying.  

All together I feel I'm doing well.  The success I've had so far is making it easier to incorporate these changes.  Focusing on long term goals over short term success but I have to admit the short term successes are making me feel better about myself.  I think it helps that I basically live alone (my son is usually home from college on the weekends) so I don't have the external pressures of a wife and kids.

I'm calling it Operation Phoenix.  Raising a new me out of the ashes of my old life.

Thanks,

Cheeseypoof

Woke up today at 324.6 lbs.  Down 29.4 lbs since the end of November.  At this point all I've done is change my eating habits. Smaller portions, better choices, as little refined sugar as possible, try to limit sodium, pay attention to the number of carbs I consume, etc.

I've started keeping track of what I eat using MyFitnessPal, specifically total calories, protein, total carbs, total fat, sugar, fiber and sodium.  MYP said my caloric intake should be about 2210 calories/day based upon my starting and target weights.  I'm trying, successfully for the most part, to stay under 2000 calories per day.

The next change is incorporating some cardio exercise into my lifestyle.  Bought a recumbent bike, I just need to put it together.  That's my plan for the weekend.  I'm trying to figure out an exercise regime that starts slow and builds over time.  My thought was starting out with 30 minute sessions, at easy to moderate pace, 3 times a week and slowly increase the time, frequency and pace as I get used to what I'm doing.

I've also started to attempt to change my sleep habits, in anticipation of starting the exercise program.  I'm tracking my sleep using my Fitbit.  I heading to bed between 10-10:30pm (instead of 11-12pm) and trying to get up for 5:30am.  That's been a struggle so far.  It takes me awhile to fall asleep and I don't want to get out of bed in the morning until I absolutely have to.  But I'm trying.  

All together I feel I'm doing well.  The success I've had so far is making it easier to incorporate these changes.  Focusing on long term goals over short term success but I have to admit the short term successes are making me feel better about myself.  I think it helps that I basically live alone (my son is usually home from college on the weekends) so I don't have the external pressures of a wife and kids.

I'm calling it Operation Phoenix.  Raising a new me out of the ashes of my old life.

Thanks,

Cheeseypoof
Nice Job!  Keep it up.

Nice job Cheesey.  It's amazing the benefits you will start seeing as you lose weight/eat healthy.  Sleep better, feel better (more energy), more positive attitude - just so much positive - stick to it!

I like cardio first. Gets my heart rate up. And I do mostly a cardio style of lifting... lighter weights, increased reps.

And yes, I work somewhat of a night swingshift.  :shrug:
What's your weight routine?  I've tried to run first then lift and my lifting sessions are always disasters.  10 mins to warm up, cool, all cardio though?  Forget about it.

Cheesypoof gets it.  He is not trying some crazy fad diet to drop weight quickly.  Those types of diets cannot last forever.  He is trying to build better habits in regards to eating and exercising. 

Good luck.   

What's your weight routine?  I've tried to run first then lift and my lifting sessions are always disasters.  10 mins to warm up, cool, all cardio though?  Forget about it.
I think he mainly means he's just lifting high reps with little rest so his heart rate stays up.  Most of my routines are about 40-45 minutes where the first 20 are relatively low reps and I ramp up to higher reps, and then ultimately supersets. But really all programs work, just need to find one you can manage and make progress in it.  

I've always followed the general 1-2 alternating lift schedule...

Day 1. Backs & biceps

Day 2. Chest & triceps

I do abs every day. And then you can fill in all other muscle groups wherever as needed. I generally don't do legs because I run and bike all the time. 

I was hoping to get one more big week this week but it's not looking promising.  Probably be in the 2-3 lb range which is still good (and sustainable) but won't do much for me in the contest. 

I've always followed the general 1-2 alternating lift schedule...

Day 1. Backs & biceps

Day 2. Chest & triceps

I do abs every day. And then you can fill in all other muscle groups wherever as needed. I generally don't do legs because I run and bike all the time. 
The late 80s called, they want their workout back.

HARHARHARHAR!!!

I pick things up and put them down!

NOXPLOOOOOOOSDE!@#!!!!12121!!@

:flex:

Users who are viewing this thread