What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

I bought a yoga mat today :thumbup:

Question: once I get through this first 30 days, what do I do?  Do I move onto the advanced 30 day thing you all are doing?  Or is that too much?  Do I just repeat this same 30 day thing a second time?

I’m starting to enjoy and see the value in this yoga thing.  The workouts are probably shorter than I want, so if there are longer versions of just doing the same stuff, maybe with a few harder things mixed in, I’d be cool with that.  Also need to figure out a weight loss plan because my gut keeps getting in the way :bag:

Potato shopping in a bit....
I’m on the same track as you and I’m planning to move up to the advanced flow for what it’s worth. 

I bought a yoga mat today :thumbup:

Question: once I get through this first 30 days, what do I do?  Do I move onto the advanced 30 day thing you all are doing?  Or is that too much?  Do I just repeat this same 30 day thing a second time?

I’m starting to enjoy and see the value in this yoga thing.  The workouts are probably shorter than I want, so if there are longer versions of just doing the same stuff, maybe with a few harder things mixed in, I’d be cool with that.  Also need to figure out a weight loss plan because my gut keeps getting in the way :bag:

Potato shopping in a bit....
I am really glad to hear people are enjoying this. I was a the same point a month ago. I started with the one you're doing a month and a half ago, asked if anyone else wants to join, and now there are a dozen or so people on my @ list. If there's enough interest in doing another 30, I'm happy to go along.  I enjoy doing this every day and am so happy other people are joining in. And she puts out new content all the time.  If there's another sequence that her fans on the internet say is challenging, I'd be on board.  That's how I picked june 2020 as the "advanced" flow.

I would even be fine curating a list of just my favorites from the last couple months if you want to try that. There are definitely days I would like to do again, and I'm writing these up every day partly so people can go back and reread what was in each day and what everyone thought of it in case they want to do the same thing. 

June 2020 isn't really advanced, it's just a routine she put together that touches on all the things.  It does last a little longer each day, and there are days where she's telling you to take a vinyasa or maybe do a chataranga to up dog or something that you wouldn't have understood without looking at the screen if you hadn't done the first 30 days, so I am glad I didn't start with this one, but it's also got a few really easy days. 

I am really glad to hear people are enjoying this. I was a the same point a month ago. I started with the one you're doing a month and a half ago, asked if anyone else wants to join, and now there are a dozen or so people on my @ list. If there's enough interest in doing another 30, I'm happy to go along.  I enjoy doing this every day and am so happy other people are joining in. And she puts out new content all the time.  If there's another sequence that her fans on the internet say is challenging, I'd be on board.  That's how I picked june 2020 as the "advanced" flow.

I would even be fine curating a list of just my favorites from the last couple months if you want to try that. There are definitely days I would like to do again, and I'm writing these up every day partly so people can go back and reread what was in each day and what everyone thought of it in case they want to do the same thing. 

June 2020 isn't really advanced, it's just a routine she put together that touches on all the things.  It does last a little longer each day, and there are days where she's telling you to take a vinyasa or maybe do a chataranga to up dog or something that you wouldn't have understood without looking at the screen if you hadn't done the first 30 days, so I am glad I didn't start with this one, but it's also got a few really easy days. 
Would you please provide cliff notes? If WFH continues and the kids return to school as planned I'd like to add this to my daily regimen. 

Well done Fred.  I’ll gladly keep doing this and will follow whatever you map out for the next 30 days.  

Between Yoga and rowing I can’t imagine a better workout routine, or one that I’d enjoy more.  Now if someone could just fix my diet.  

Would you please provide cliff notes? If WFH continues and the kids return to school as planned I'd like to add this to my daily regimen. 
I've never done yoga. Lord knows I could use added flexibility but just the idea of it has never been my thing. It's dumb, but the whole "slow, relax, breathe, meditate" type vibe doesn't interest me.

But when I see someone like @Otis say he's enjoying it with the perceived attention span of a Chihuahua, then maybe even I might get into it......

I've never done yoga. Lord knows I could use added flexibility but just the idea of it has never been my thing. It's dumb, but the whole "slow, relax, breathe, meditate" type vibe doesn't interest me.

But when I see someone like @Otis say he's enjoying it with the perceived attention span of a Chihuahua, then maybe even I might get into it......
My physical peak coincided with periods of frequent pilates, which is very similar. I got away from it because I don't like exercising before 9, after 8, and a workout like this around small humans is an exercise in futility. I'd like to get it back into the rotation. 

krista4 said:
It's been a while since I gave a weight update, basically because I'm just holding steady.  I quit WW a couple of months ago after having ignored it for a month or two before that.  I know what I need to do if I wish to maintain or lose, so I didn't need it anymore.  As you might recall, I ended up 10-11 pounds under my goal weight, so now I've decided that the 10 pounds under will be my goal weight to maintain instead.  Right now I'm about two pounds above, but it doesn't concern me.  I go up a little, and then I hunker down and lose it again.  I've never gone more than 4-5 pounds up, and that's easy to lose.

I had a revelation last week - hard alcohol!  Wait, what?  Well, I've learned that while when I have wine I tend to want to drink the whole bottle, when I have rum or tequila one mixed drink is enough to last me all evening.  So when I want a drink, I'm more often mixing up a cocktail using rum or tequila, Bubly flavored (but zero calorie) sparkling water, and then a small shot of some flavor of Mio.  Tastes good and I can sip it for hours.
@krista4 — Would like to hear more on the diet change.  Sounds like it comes pretty easy to you now.  You did WW, and then quit it, and continue to maintain your goal weight (actually LOWER than your goal).  What has changed?  What is different before/after?  Are you counting calories or points even roughly?  Or just less appetite?  Or eating different types of foods?  

Curious to know how your diet is different before/after.

And congrats.  Awesome.  Lots of us would like to figure out how you cracked the code here...

@Otis

there’s no mystery to it.  Drink less. Eat well.  Once that’s established as a habit, it’s easy. And once you’re in that mindset, going off the rails, doesn’t affect you very much.  

I just had a delicious croissant, with Nutella!, for my breakfast dessert.  Gonna drink some beers later. And I’m not concerned in the slightest.  I know my caloric output will match or exceed whatever I eat/drink today.  

You should really try something like WW or MFP.  Those types of programs are eye opening.  Knowing what you’re wasting calories on, is crucial.  And when you want to have a bottle of wine with lady O, you simply plan for it.  I did MFP for about 90 days. Learned a lot. I highly recommend it, or something similar. 

@Otis

there’s no mystery to it.  Drink less. Eat well.  Once that’s established as a habit, it’s easy. And once you’re in that mindset, going off the rails, doesn’t affect you very much.  

I just had a delicious croissant, with Nutella!, for my breakfast dessert.  Gonna drink some beers later. And I’m not concerned in the slightest.  I know my caloric output will match or exceed whatever I eat/drink today.  

You should really try something like WW or MFP.  Those types of programs are eye opening.  Knowing what you’re wasting calories on, is crucial.  And when you want to have a bottle of wine with lady O, you simply plan for it.  I did MFP for about 90 days. Learned a lot. I highly recommend it, or something similar. 
Just hate having to take the time to think about and figure it all out.  It’s easy if I’m eating something with a barcode on it, but when Mrs. O cooks up a big meal with a bunch of ingredients, and I have no idea how much of what is in there or how much I’ve eaten, it just becomes more burden than it feels worth it to me.  If I were single and had only myself to deal with I might take some time to measure out all my food and everything, but just not going to happen for me.  

I’d be much better off going on one of those healthy meal plans where they deliver all your meals to your door each week, and I just eat that.  Then I know what I’m getting of everything, and it’s all done for me.  I really love the salads at Chopt, and they deliver to us.  We order there a few times a week.  I’m tempted to just take a month to basically only eat from there — just order in two salads or a salad and a wrap from there each day.   Coffee and an egg in the morning.  I’d be way below my calorie limit, even with a couple drinks in the evening.  Anyway, I get that it’s easy in theory.  Just harder for some of us to get it right and sustain it.

Adriene is awesome, and the videos aren't really like that.  Try the ones below

We are on day 13 of two separate tracks, 30 days each, and I'm doing exactly that, every day.  I give a quick summary, the rough length, add the YouTube link, @ the people who have expressed an interest, and sometimes people comment afterwards about whether it was difficult or too easy or whatever.  It's not a comprehensive list of exercises or anything, but I try to give the gist. In a couple weeks we should have 60 videos documented, and you can choose ones that work for you or I will try to curate a list for people if I can, based on rough guidelines like try to do challenging ~30 minute flows on weekdays and longer ~45-60 minute videos on Saturdays and some Sundays, mix in some lighter days from time to time but keep things going. 

I do these between meetings during my work day if my schedule allows it, while I'm not on dad duty.  They're short and don't have a lot of fat on them - a quick 15 second intro, a couple minutes of warm up, then the last 30 seconds or so are her telling you to lie down or stretch your knees wide and try to stay here after the video ends, then the music plays and you can get up whenever you want. 

Here's three videos of different lengths that might give you guys what you want - more exercise than stretching or meditation

- 17 minute video, six pack abs - https://youtu.be/tWPpdP4IhEY

- 32 minute video, arms and abs - https://youtu.be/KyBmGfI5OWU 

- 60 minute video, yoga for weight loss - https://youtu.be/qSG7PsdZG04

Just hate having to take the time to think about and figure it all out.  It’s easy if I’m eating something with a barcode on it, but when Mrs. O cooks up a big meal with a bunch of ingredients, and I have no idea how much of what is in there or how much I’ve eaten, it just becomes more burden than it feels worth it to me.  If I were single and had only myself to deal with I might take some time to measure out all my food and everything, but just not going to happen for me.  

I’d be much better off going on one of those healthy meal plans where they deliver all your meals to your door each week, and I just eat that.  Then I know what I’m getting of everything, and it’s all done for me.  I really love the salads at Chopt, and they deliver to us.  We order there a few times a week.  I’m tempted to just take a month to basically only eat from there — just order in two salads or a salad and a wrap from there each day.   Coffee and an egg in the morning.  I’d be way below my calorie limit, even with a couple drinks in the evening.  Anyway, I get that it’s easy in theory.  Just harder for some of us to get it right and sustain it.
God knows I’m not one to provide advice on diet (I probably have less self-control than you) but if you’re going to commit to salads, why not just make it yourself?  I gotta think it’s healthier than getting it from a restaurant.  It’s not really that much work.  

When we have healthy ingredients in the house, we eat healthy (mainly because I hate wasting food).

I TOTALLY get you. I HATED doing the stupid ### counting. It’s well documented in this thread. :lmao:  

But!!  I got over myself and put in the effort, because I wanted to be smarter about what I ate.  I’m still pissed that cashews are such a calorie bomb. I freaking love cashews. I Still eat them, just less of them.  And do you know many calories are are in a big tortilla?  Too f’ing many!  Everything is better as a burrito!  Well, maybe not. I have yet to try the low calorie, rice wraps, from Trader Joe’s. But I’ve mostly ditched my beloved tortilla wraps. 

If you put in the time, you’ll learn how many calories, approximately, are in things.  And it’s easier to make choices that lessen the caloric intake. Want steak?  Do filet over ribeye.  Want a nice big omelet?  Ditch 2 yolks and don’t put any butter in pan.  Want Mexican food?  Don’t eat the damn chips. Etc, etc. 

exercising becomes more fun too.  Because it’s a way to reward yourself. Going to dinner with the lady?  Do a crushing row and take the dog for an hour walk.  You’re golden. 

Today, I’ve done 2 yogas, 1:20, and my 100 pushups. I’m going to go for a 2 mile run in the blazing heat, to really get a good sweat on.  Then I’m gonna drink some heavy calorie laden beer.(a choice could be made here for lower calorie beer, but I’ve earned it). We are having filet with arugula, no dressing, and French fries made from scratch in the air fryer for dinner. I will have a glass of red with dinner. Pretty nice day. 

I TOTALLY get you. I HATED doing the stupid ### counting. It’s well documented in this thread. :lmao:  

But!!  I got over myself and put in the effort, because I wanted to be smarter about what I ate.  I’m still pissed that cashews are such a calorie bomb. I freaking love cashews. I Still eat them, just less of them.  And do you know many calories are are in a big tortilla?  Too f’ing many!  Everything is better as a burrito!  Well, maybe not. I have yet to try the low calorie, rice wraps, from Trader Joe’s. But I’ve mostly ditched my beloved tortilla wraps. 

If you put in the time, you’ll learn how many calories, approximately, are in things.  And it’s easier to make choices that lessen the caloric intake. Want steak?  Do filet over ribeye.  Want a nice big omelet?  Ditch 2 yolks and don’t put any butter in pan.  Want Mexican food?  Don’t eat the damn chips. Etc, etc. 

exercising becomes more fun too.  Because it’s a way to reward yourself. Going to dinner with the lady?  Do a crushing row and take the dog for an hour walk.  You’re golden. 

Today, I’ve done 2 yogas, 1:20, and my 100 pushups. I’m going to go for a 2 mile run in the blazing heat, to really get a good sweat on.  Then I’m gonna drink some heavy calorie laden beer.(a choice could be made here for lower calorie beer, but I’ve earned it). We are having filet with arugula, no dressing, and French fries made from scratch in the air fryer for dinner. I will have a glass of red with dinner. Pretty nice day. 
I got to say man - you are a damn machine.  

Yoga this morning; bike ride this afternoon; row in the evening. I’m eating some junk this evening and drinking some beer, but killing it on the workouts today. 

Tomorrow I have an early morning drive out of town for the day, so not sure what I’ll have time for. I may try to squeeze in yoga early before we go. 

I mean if you want to amp things up Alo Moves is on a next level.  Just saying.   There are a couple other YouTubers I've tried over the years.   Reddit fitness had a huge Google docs of a ton of them. I'm looking for that now. 

@krista4 — Would like to hear more on the diet change.  Sounds like it comes pretty easy to you now.  You did WW, and then quit it, and continue to maintain your goal weight (actually LOWER than your goal).  What has changed?  What is different before/after?  Are you counting calories or points even roughly?  Or just less appetite?  Or eating different types of foods?  

Curious to know how your diet is different before/after.

And congrats.  Awesome.  Lots of us would like to figure out how you cracked the code here...
I am D-RUNK so will try to respond tomorrow instead.  Look at me!  I can get drunk and still not be fat!

Well, then anything I say isn't really going to help.

Advanced yoga today was “Yoga for Runners” and comprised 30 minutes of only stretching, but they were satisfying stretches.  I especially enjoyed the one-legged pigeon, which sounds like something Otis would make up but apparently is a real pose.

Last edited by a moderator:
4x8 of squat bench weighted pull-ups and hip thrusts followed by max30 max out sweat.  

Figure that about is it for me today.  

Completed the Day 14 yoga and did a very short (20 minute) body pump (i.e. full body strength barbell+pushups) where I was able to work out chest, back, legs and arms.  Still able to hit my calorie goal for the day.  

I had the kids to myself today for most of the day.  Was supposed to take them to the zoo but rain impeded those plans so I ended up treating them to takeout McDonalds for lunch (a once a year excursion for us).  I ordered a 10 piece chicken nuggets and large french fries for the 3 of us.  My 4 year old daughter refuses to eat meat so she had about half of the fries for lunch.  My 6 year old boy ate 9 nuggets and the other half of the fries   :shock: .  So my lunch ended up being a single nugget.  It felt nice skipping out on lunch.  

Agreed 100% based on just real world experience. Love flexibility of tracking with MFP. Going out for extra drinks or a big meal? Earn them with exercise or very clean eating for the rest of the day. 

I also like to allow for 1-2 "blowout days" a month where I don't bother logging (but don't get absolutely stupid about it).  Going for wings and beers with the guys? Want to splurge on that Tomahawk Ribeye or a slab of ribs? Wanna crush half a pizza? Cool. Just try to eat decent the rest of the day and enjoy yourself... then back on the wagon tomorrow. 

Today's advanced yoga is only 20 minutes, and called "Yoga for Detox," which after the weekend I had sounded sorely necessary for me.  "Yoga for Detox" means nice and easy, right?  No, I forgot that "detox" is Latin for "sweaty."  Lots of lunging and sweating.  

This is another one with voiceover, which is awful.  She's at a park or something, so the surroundings are lovely, though.

Hey, where was our yoga leader @bostonfred today?  BF, you're our only hope!
I cheated this weekend. Had to deal with some stuff at home and skipped the yoga for gut health on Friday, did my pushups and yoga on Saturday, then skipped both yesterday while I took care of family stuff. Did get in a nice hike with my son yesterday, I love that he's into that, although a big part of the reason is it's one of the few fun things he can do right now because we're not doing public playgrounds, etc. Tough time to be a kid imo. 

Did my hundredpushups.com week 3 day 1 today, total of 80 pushups across 5 sets, Wednesday will be my first 100 pushup day. 

Finished yoga for gut health. I'm not sure what it was supposed to accomplish. Am I supposed to have to poop now?  It feels like gut health is a euphemism for make you #### if you can't but I don't really know it's just a weird session I'll probably not do again unless I get backed up. 

I'm going to do my run and then do yesterday's runner's yoga, then finish with today's if I have the time/energy. Will post the summaries later too. 

today's double up was pretty hard.  they were nearly identical.  add some crow from day 29.  proud moment, for me, was actually sitting on my heels, on my toes, weight evenly distributed. chest up, with my hands at my heart.  i managed to stand up, from that position.  and sink back down into it.  that's major progress for my knee. :D  

Rowed this morning. Today’s workout was the 1000m retest —I beat my old time and did it in 3:43.  I was sucking wind hard. @eaganwildcats, what’s your 1000m time?  I’m sure you crush me. I really just need to work on my cardio, I’m sucking wind and fall apart way too fast. Would also like to lose 20lbs so my gut isn’t in the way at the catch, makes it that much harder to get a good full breath....

Yoga was this afternoon. Day 14 was the hardest one in a while. The half moon stuff was tricky and I was sweating like crazy by the end. 

Another day down. 

Row done. Yoga later. 

Yesterday’s yoga and all the new poses had me wake up with all sorts of body aches.  Overall I’m starting to feel stronger and more flexible and more fit, just after two weeks. Gotta solve for the diet, because if I do, and if I can keep this up,  l’ll be feeling like a new person. 

@bostonfred, I hope things are going better family-wise.

Today's advanced yoga was an easy one, about 19 minutes and very slow.  While yesterday's moves were at double-time, today's were at half-time.  Bonus for the guys:  she's on the beach, and there is cleavage.  Well, insomuch as she has boobs, which isn't much.  Today's Adriene distraction:  "butterfly in the sand!"

Row done. Yoga later. 

Yesterday’s yoga and all the new poses had me wake up with all sorts of body aches.  Overall I’m starting to feel stronger and more flexible and more fit, just after two weeks. Gotta solve for the diet, because if I do, and if I can keep this up,  l’ll be feeling like a new person. 
I'm seriously impressed that you're doing all of this.  :thumbup:  

Today's advanced yoga was an easy one, about 19 minutes and very slow.  While yesterday's moves were at double-time, today's were at half-time.  Bonus for the guys:  she's on the beach, and there is cleavage.  Well, insomuch as she has boobs, which isn't much.  Today's Adriene distraction:  "butterfly in the sand!"
I speak for all males in this thread when I state...  we like boobs of all sizes...  and cleavage of boobs of all sizes...

i rarely look at the screen.   it's day 30!  and 16    :pickle:  

Without Bostonfred’s daily updates, it took me a while to figure out what day of yoga we’re on.  Today’s Day 15 16.  I did it.  Who else did it?  Starting to feel lonely in this.

I actually did the side planks today.  Briefly.  Not the entire time.  But I did them.  And much better than the first go round.  So that was good.  I also notice I’m getting stretchier in the bend over positions, like I’m able to straighten my knees more and more and still touch the ground.  I’m basically a yoga expert I figure. 

Weird thing happened this morning too.  I had been weight in at 236/237 for the past couple weeks.  Weighed in at 233 and change this morning :unsure:

Progress......

Without Bostonfred’s daily updates, it took me a while to figure out what day of yoga we’re on.  Today’s Day 15.  I did it.  Who else did it?  Starting to feel lonely in this.

I actually did the side planks today.  Briefly.  Not the entire time.  But I did them.  And much better than the first go round.  So that was good.  I also notice I’m getting stretchier in the bend over positions, like I’m able to straighten my knees more and more and still touch the ground.  I’m basically a yoga expert I figure. 

Weird thing happened this morning too.  I had been weight in at 236/237 for the past couple weeks.  Weighed in at 233 and change this morning :unsure:

Progress......
GB, you've missed one along the way.  Today should be Day 16 for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread