What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (2 Viewers)

Otis said:
Well, back from family vacation in Puerto Rico. We even continued the vacation yesterday for one extra day in NY. That’s 5 days of drinking a lot, eating as poorly as I could, and not exercising.  I won’t be weighing myself right now because it doesn’t matter; I’ll check again in a few weeks maybe. 

Today excited to be back in the saddle. Rowed a 10k this morning, won’t be drinking anymore. Looking forward to healthy eating. It’s funny but last night and once again recently I tried to have one of those small bags of snacks. Last night was Cheeze-Its. I used to love these things. As I ate them last night I couldn’t get more than 3 into the bag before it dawned on me that they taste like chemicals and crap and are completely unsatisfying. I’m just not interested. Much happier with some nuts or a piece of cheese or whole grain bread with avocado, etc. Actual food, not that processed in a bag crap.  Hell even Oreos, one of my former favorites, just taste like chemicals to me these days. 

Glad to be back.  Already feeling so much better after a row. Summer is still 4 months away.  Very easily could shed another 15-20lbs or more in that time, and be in actual legit good shape. 

:football:
weird isn't it?  this year, for me, it was halloween candy.  stuff just tasted foul.  real dark chocolate is awesome. anything else, just tastes gross to me.  keep on keeping on brother.

Otis said:
Well, back from family vacation in Puerto Rico. We even continued the vacation yesterday for one extra day in NY. That’s 5 days of drinking a lot, eating as poorly as I could, and not exercising.  I won’t be weighing myself right now because it doesn’t matter; I’ll check again in a few weeks maybe. 

Today excited to be back in the saddle. Rowed a 10k this morning, won’t be drinking anymore. Looking forward to healthy eating. It’s funny but last night and once again recently I tried to have one of those small bags of snacks. Last night was Cheeze-Its. I used to love these things. As I ate them last night I couldn’t get more than 3 into the bag before it dawned on me that they taste like chemicals and crap and are completely unsatisfying. I’m just not interested. Much happier with some nuts or a piece of cheese or whole grain bread with avocado, etc. Actual food, not that processed in a bag crap.  Hell even Oreos, one of my former favorites, just taste like chemicals to me these days. 

Glad to be back.  Already feeling so much better after a row. Summer is still 4 months away.  Very easily could shed another 15-20lbs or more in that time, and be in actual legit good shape. 

:football:
Welcome back, gb! Been missing your morning posts to keep me motivated. Rowed 6 out of the last 7 days, but some have been short-ish. 

Did finally go for an all out 2K and cracked 7 at 6:55. 

Been eating mostly terribly but have been sticking to the fasting window so at least it's concentrated

1 hour MAF row to start the day. No booze today; healthy foods. June Otis is looking handsome

ETA I think this was my longest distance row in one hour, and at my lowest HR. The system, it’s working. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Last Sunday was my long run of 4.5 and Monday i did my tempo run of 5k. I didn't like doing those back to back. 

After that I did 4 miles of MAF running every day from Tuesday to Friday and started a little slower than I had been before (5.7 instead of 6 or 6.1 mph) which put me closer to 135 than 140 bpm for most of the run.  I wanted to see if 135 helps me improve more and also because I've been increasing my milage it seemed like a good idea to avoid injury.  My legs were getting heavy by Friday.  

Saturday was a planned rest day.  

Sunday was my new long run of 5 miles.  Started at 6.1 for a mile, then 5.7 for a mile, then 5.5 for half mile,  5.3 for a mile, 5.0 for a mile and then as usual i finished strong at 7mph for the final half mile.  Total was a bit under 54 minutes for 5 miles.  I still had enough left in the tank to have gone faster earlier but i didn't feel like my legs wanted to go much longer.  So I am interested to see how my speed looks this week when i do my tempo 5k. 

I think I'm going to stay at 4 miles for my standard daily distance this week and keep my next long run at 5 miles instead of increasing again.  I'm not training for anything specific and I'm happy enough with the distance I'm going now. I think my legs were plenty tired last week and have no interest in risking an injury.  Using my hypervolt on my it band, quads, calves and pirifornis as well. 

Week 1 of 15. Down 5.8 (24.2 overall) pounds to 238.2. Lowest I’ve been in a long time. 14 weeks before move back to NC. 31.7 pounds away from pre-move goal. End of this week and beginning of next week will be a test as I’m traveling and will be in a hotel for 5 nights. Won’t be an official weigh in for 2 weeks as I’m not taking my scale. If I can drop 7.7 over the next two weeks I’ll only need to drop 2 pounds a week over the last 12 which is doable.

Last Sunday was my long run of 4.5 and Monday i did my tempo run of 5k. I didn't like doing those back to back. 

After that I did 4 miles of MAF running every day from Tuesday to Friday and started a little slower than I had been before (5.7 instead of 6 or 6.1 mph) which put me closer to 135 than 140 bpm for most of the run.  I wanted to see if 135 helps me improve more and also because I've been increasing my milage it seemed like a good idea to avoid injury.  My legs were getting heavy by Friday.  

Saturday was a planned rest day.  

Sunday was my new long run of 5 miles.  Started at 6.1 for a mile, then 5.7 for a mile, then 5.5 for half mile,  5.3 for a mile, 5.0 for a mile and then as usual i finished strong at 7mph for the final half mile.  Total was a bit under 54 minutes for 5 miles.  I still had enough left in the tank to have gone faster earlier but i didn't feel like my legs wanted to go much longer.  So I am interested to see how my speed looks this week when i do my tempo 5k. 

I think I'm going to stay at 4 miles for my standard daily distance this week and keep my next long run at 5 miles instead of increasing again.  I'm not training for anything specific and I'm happy enough with the distance I'm going now. I think my legs were plenty tired last week and have no interest in risking an injury.  Using my hypervolt on my it band, quads, calves and pirifornis as well. 
Great work.

Have you tried running outside, btw? 

ETA -- And listen to your body.  If your legs are tired and/or you feel tired, take an extra rest day or 2 or back off your mileage, even if for a week.  As you said, you're not training for anything and no reason to risk injury. 

Trying the deload week thing this week. Easing off on volume and intensity of both resistance and cardio before ramping it back up next week. Doing that every 4-8 weeks is supposed to help. We’ll see.

Week 7 IF Check in:

Week 1 = -1 lbs. overall
Week 2 = -2 lbs. overall
Week 3 = -3.5 lbs. overall
Week 4 = -5.0 lbs. overall
Week 5 = -6.5 lbs. overall
Week 6 = -7.0 lbs. overall
Week 7 = -8.0 lbs. overall

Clothes are definitely fitting a bit better now.  

gianmarco said:
Great work.

Have you tried running outside, btw? 

ETA -- And listen to your body.  If your legs are tired and/or you feel tired, take an extra rest day or 2 or back off your mileage, even if for a week.  As you said, you're not training for anything and no reason to risk injury. 
Yeah i think i could have run today but I'm taking the night off and eating maintenance calories with some wine. Partly because i wanted to rest my legs, partly because it worked better with my schedule today but mostly because I'm giving up booze and snacks for lent so this is my Mardi Gras/fat Tuesday as well as a good time for a rest day. 

Will see what i can do during my 5k tomorrow with a little better rest prior to my tempo run. 

Trying the deload week thing this week. Easing off on volume and intensity of both resistance and cardio before ramping it back up next week. Doing that every 4-8 weeks is supposed to help. We’ll see.
Played lacrosse last night. This morning I went to the gym and did only 25 minutes of moderate intensity work (2.3 miles & 300 calories) on the elliptical. Almost felt guilty when I left.

This was my first MAF run 24 days ago. I was bummed about giving up my sub 29 minute pace. 

I just finished a 5k in 26:57 and was disappointed because I didn't feel great and I slowed way down about 2/3 of the way through.  End of next week will be one month and i will be shooting for sub 26. 
Today was the one month mark for my 5k MAF training.  

25:59.

A month ago I was happy to break 29 minutes and afraid that training slow would hurt my speed. I know @fred_1_15301 and a few others were worried about the same.

I've shaved off nearly a minute per mile in one month and i feel like I will probably be down below 25 by the end of March.  

Taking a rest day Saturday before my Sunday long run and another Monday before my Tuesday tempo run helped too. The only speed work I've done is a weekly 5k to see how my speed  is doing - everything else has been at MAF pace,  and I've actually run slower this week than i was the week before.

I think I'm going to keep my long run capped at 5 miles for another week or two, and maybe add in some intervals one day this week to start getting used to running at closer to a 7 minute mile pace. Giving up booze and chips for lent should help a bit too.

Thought I'd give a little update since I stopped regular postings after meeting my goal.  I've lost another 5-6 pounds off my initial goal.  I'll be settling in somewhere around this weight, maybe will lose a few more before I put myself in "maintenance mode."  Still doing WW officially.

Keeping up with the @Tecumsehchallenge, which I started the day after Thanksgiving, meaning today was my 89th day.  Still have only missed two days - Dec. 26 and 27 - and on the other 87 days have done some sort of purposeful exercise of at least an hour.   I'll continue this through at least March 15, as I'm also still participating in my group challenge that ends then.

Mmmm, I guess that's about it.  

Today was the one month mark for my 5k MAF training.  

25:59.

A month ago I was happy to break 29 minutes and afraid that training slow would hurt my speed. I know @fred_1_15301 and a few others were worried about the same.

I've shaved off nearly a minute per mile in one month and i feel like I will probably be down below 25 by the end of March.  

Taking a rest day Saturday before my Sunday long run and another Monday before my Tuesday tempo run helped too. The only speed work I've done is a weekly 5k to see how my speed  is doing - everything else has been at MAF pace,  and I've actually run slower this week than i was the week before.

I think I'm going to keep my long run capped at 5 miles for another week or two, and maybe add in some intervals one day this week to start getting used to running at closer to a 7 minute mile pace. Giving up booze and chips for lent should help a bit too.
I hope I'm where you're at in a month.  This Saturday is my 4.5 mile run.  I've never run that distance in my life so it will be interesting.

Re: Having a supportive wife is Soooooo important:

1. It was my wife's idea for me to do the Broad street run.

2. I made us tofu lettuce wraps for dinner tonight but didn't eat a lot because of my run tonight.

3.  Immediately as I'm heading to the gym, she mentions that she left half a wrap for me to finish up.

4.  I tell her that I can't because I have to run.  She says "it's only like 5 bites"

5.  I tell her "this was your idea for me to do the run in the first place".

6.  She responds angrily "you're not the only one who's got stuff going on".   :loco:  

Now she's not at all overweight but she snacks every single night (just made herself a Smores lol).  I wish she would be fully on board with a healthy lifestyle.

So is BMI junk science or not?
They go into that.  At 30, you are simply fat.  No bones about it.  

There arguments to be made about 26-30 for certain lifestyles.  Using fat % might be a good guide or waist circumference.  None of those hold up with >30.   

Women especially seem vulnerable at 30.  They can't put on the level of muscle that men can, so that makes sense.

i think bmi is good for people that don't exercise at all.  i'm 'over weight" at 26.1 bmi  i wear a size 33 pants, can see the faintest shadow of abs, have a body fat % around 17.   and yet, i am over weight. :shrug:  i would need to lose 12 lbs, to reach "healthy" on the bmi scale.  on the flip side, i would need to gain 28lbs, to hit 30 bmi

I dipped below 164 yesterday. Started out in the 185-188 range last fall. My goal was to reach 165 by mid-April, when I turn 50.

So I am super happy about that.

What I am not happy about is that my wife now hates me. I am only exaggerating slightly. She feels betrayed because I did it on my own schedule and doing what works for me, while she wasn't able to. She hasn't lost any weight and is extremely angry with me and resentful about it. She told me a couple times along the way that she felt "left behind" and that my success made here feel worse about herself.

Part of this is irrational vanity and pettiness on her part. She says she finds me less attractive now, partly because I make her feel less attractive.

But some of it is because she told me what really mattered to her and she feels I disregarded it. If I am totally honest with myself, I guess I did. That second thing is a big deal to her and I think I understand why.

On the other hand, being #### on for doing something that was hard and that I am pretty proud of hurts my feelings and makes me angry. Last fall I was in a dark place emotionally and mentally and having something that I could control to obsess over, and finding success doing it, made me feel so much better emotionally and mentally.

It's a mess. 😕

I dipped below 164 yesterday. Started out in the 185-188 range last fall. My goal was to reach 165 by mid-April, when I turn 50.

So I am super happy about that.

What I am not happy about is that my wife now hates me. I am only exaggerating slightly. She feels betrayed because I did it on my own schedule and doing what works for me, while she wasn't able to. She hasn't lost any weight and is extremely angry with me and resentful about it. She told me a couple times along the way that she felt "left behind" and that my success made here feel worse about herself.

Part of this is irrational vanity and pettiness on her part. She says she finds me less attractive now, partly because I make her feel less attractive.

But some of it is because she told me what really mattered to her and she feels I disregarded it. If I am totally honest with myself, I guess I did. That second thing is a big deal to her and I think I understand why.

On the other hand, being #### on for doing something that was hard and that I am pretty proud of hurts my feelings and makes me angry. Last fall I was in a dark place emotionally and mentally and having something that I could control to obsess over, and finding success doing it, made me feel so much better emotionally and mentally.

It's a mess. 😕
I think it’s great you’ve lost weight. It’s very selfish of your wife to feel as she does. She should always be on your side, in your corner not jealous of your success. 

keep up the good work and help your wife deal with her issues. Cuz she has major ones. 

Users who are viewing this thread