What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

I'm in on this challenge.  I was in this thread a year ago and lost about 35 lbs counting calories and using the Lose It app.  Last year I stopped counting calories and gained back half the weight.  I'm 5'11", 195lbs.  When I first started counting calories, I was 220lbs.  I restricted myself to under 1650 cal/day (often times less than 1500) and it took me 3.5 months to drop 35lbs.  The infuriating thing is that, once you diligently count calories for a month or two, you get a very good idea of what is too many calories/day and will cause you to gain weight.  So, even though I knew I was eating too much, I kept doing it.  I'm hoping to get better at that this time around.

Unsolicited advice:  pick a handful of meals you like and that are low calorie, and eat them over and over again.  I was most successful when I ate a 200 cal breakfast bar (there's dozens of brands and flavors) and a 450 cal lunch (tuna/turkey/roast beef sandwich, no cheese or mayo).  Add in 30 min. of cardio exercise (burns about 400 cal), and then you can eat a reasonably large dinner, plus a small dessert (I like Yorks - only 60 cal for the little ones, or the 100 cal Fudge Bars from Costco, or the Healthy 100s Jiffy Pop bags - sometimes I'd have 2 or 3 of these post-dinner desserts)

I started about a week ago, but I'm looking forward to a solid month of weight loss and exercise.

I'm not going to count calories (too much work), but if this is becoming a recipe thread, I'm happy to share my prized oatmeal recipe that has become my standard breakfast.

Step 1: Start cooking the oatmeal. (Rolled oats, steel-cut oats, whatever.) Make one serving however your package says to do it. While the oatmeal is simmering...

Step 2: In a separate bowl, mix up: one banana (sliced into little pieces), half a dark chocolate bar (broken into little pieces), a handful of almonds, five or six heaping teaspoons of plain yogurt, and an unmeasured amount (maybe about a tablespoon) of honey.

Step 3: A few minutes before the oatmeal is done cooking, toss in a handful of frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, whatever).

Step 4: When ready,  dump the oatmeal-with-berries into the bowl of other stuff, stir it all up, and eat it.

Pro tip: Find a big bowl, because it's hard to fit all of that into a regular-sized bowl.
My oatmeal takes about 60 seconds in the microwave.  Am I doing it wrong?

Wait so are we counting calories now?  That the new challenge??  If so, hell, I’m in.  What’s the challenge though?

oh and tonight Imma go nuts if that’s the plan.  Brownies cookies and booze: fear me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just going to keep my tracking and such in this thread rather than posting in the other one.  This thread is home.

Btw, have already eaten all the pizza, so am now starting on all the wine.  

Tomorrow is a new day!  Like @cashman88 (welcome, btw), I have a handful of lunches that are my go-tos, often open-faced turkey, egg salad, or tuna sandwich, without cheese at this point even though cheese is my life.  Or sometimes a salad of whatever I have hanging around, usually without dressing since I don't like dressing enough to want the calories and fat involved.  A little balsamic if anything, but usually not.

I'm not even going to try to count calories, mainly because I've done it for so long that it isn't super necessary any more. Also, that is some good advice about finding healthy things you like and eating them often. Sure helps tracking, too.

M-F I'm at 1350 calories at suppertime because breakfast, lunch and snacks are identical. I recognize most people would not tolerate that, but it doesn't bug me at all. I have plenty of variety at dinner and on weekends.

Yesterday was Day 36- Got out for a round of disc golf, but could only make it through 9 holes before I was just out of gas. Still added up to about an hour of movement. Going to take a long walk today at a park I've been meaning to go to for a long time.

We hit our goal if you recall of 199 on May 1st, actually made it to 198.8

May 4th 7:00AM 200.0 lbs on the dot 😢

I wanted to get an accurate number before we start tracking. I exercised like crazy over the weekend and still packed on weight. I don't think I even had a 2,500 calorie intake day. 

And that brings us to a very important thing to keep in mind...not all calories are created equal. You eat 2,000 calories of sugar all day vs 2,000 calories of largely nutrient dense food, there's no comparison, the 2nd group will lose weight and it's proven time and time again. 

I didn't eat all that much food over the weekend but I did have 3 shots of liquor yesterday and I didn't have a drop in April, did drink lite beers however. 

I'm already grumpy...

And that brings us to a very important thing to keep in mind...not all calories are created equal. You eat 2,000 calories of sugar all day vs 2,000 calories of largely nutrient dense food, there's no comparison, the 2nd group will lose weight and it's proven time and time again.
Fyi this isn't really true. There are a lot of reasons why it's unhealthy to eat garbage and plenty of reasons why people who eat too much sugar or other "bad" foods can struggle with weight loss but there are plenty of examples of people eating nothing but McDonald's or Subway and losing weight at exactly the rate predicted by their calorie intake.  

It's still better to eat nutritious foods, but there's a lot of bad information.  

- pasta doesn't make you fat.  Eating too much makes you fat, and people generally eat too much pasta

- salads don't make you skinny.  Salad dressings can have a ton of calories.  There was a time that the salad at McDonald's had more calories than a burger with fries iirc. 

M-F I'm at 1350 calories at suppertime because breakfast, lunch and snacks are identical. I recognize most people would not tolerate that, but it doesn't bug me at all. I have plenty of variety at dinner and on weekends.
This is exactly what I've been doing except that my weekends are identical to the rest. Breakfast: oatmeal (recipe upthread). Lunch: potato salad (with mayonnaise replaced by guacamole and hummus [and extra lemon juice instead of vinegar]). Dinner: something different every night. (I sometimes skip breakfast and/or lunch, but when I eat, that's nearly always what I have.)

Between breakfast and lunch, I've covered every food group I'm interested in. (Breakfast: grains, sugary fruit, nuts, dairy, chocolate, honey [yes, chocolate and honey are food groups IMO]. Lunch: starchy vegetable, green vegetable [my potato salad includes spinach], fatty fruit, citrus, legume.) So for dinner, I eat what I feel like (usually including meat) with no worries that my bases aren't covered.

Fyi this isn't really true. There are a lot of reasons why it's unhealthy to eat garbage and plenty of reasons why people who eat too much sugar or other "bad" foods can struggle with weight loss but there are plenty of examples of people eating nothing but McDonald's or Subway and losing weight at exactly the rate predicted by their calorie intake. 
With short-term weight fluctuation, MoP has a point because, calorie for calorie, pizza causes more water retention than an avocado.

When it comes to burning or storing fat, though, it's all about calories. Your mitochondia don't know whether a particular C55H104O6 molecule came from pizza or an avodaco, and they don't care. They're combining it with the same amount of oxygen to produce the same amount of water and carbon-dioxide either way, releasing the same amount of energy regardless of the source.

i might like this calorie counting thing, once i have a handle on it.  it's fascinating to discover how many calories are in things.  those delicious chocolate chip cookies my wife made, have 100ish calories each!!   :(    

simply by circumstance, i skipped lunch yesterday.  had 3 beers and a burger and fries for dinner.  first take out since this bs started.  that was still under 2000 calories, add my exercise and i was 1000 calories under the MFP calculations.   i think i'm going to shoot for under 2000 a day and see where that takes me.  i need to establish a baseline, and adjust from there.

thanks for the impetus @bostonfred

i might like this calorie counting thing, once i have a handle on it.  it's fascinating to discover how many calories are in things.  those delicious chocolate chip cookies my wife made, have 100ish calories each!!   :(    

simply by circumstance, i skipped lunch yesterday.  had 3 beers and a burger and fries for dinner.  first take out since this bs started.  that was still under 2000 calories, add my exercise and i was 1000 calories under the MFP calculations.   i think i'm going to shoot for under 2000 a day and see where that takes me.  i need to establish a baseline, and adjust from there.

The good news is they're only 100 each.  So it's not like you have to cut them out completely.  You just want to be sensible about it. 

It's amazing how many times i was like oh no i didn't realize how bad that was.  

Wait until you find out how many calories were in that takeout meal you used to get all the time. Oops. 

With short-term weight fluctuation, MoP has a point because, calorie for calorie, pizza causes more water retention than an avocado.

When it comes to burning or storing fat, though, it's all about calories. Your mitochondia don't know whether a particular C55H104O6 molecule came from pizza or an avodaco, and they don't care. They're combining it with the same amount of oxygen to produce the same amount of water and carbon-dioxide either way, releasing the same amount of energy regardless of the source.
Lol look at this guy doesn't even know how to spell avocado what a dummy

Going to eat no more than 1,500 calories per day through this challenge. As part of that will severely limit or avoid alcohol.
Seems overly aggressive.  You are a big dude.   Why not aim for a net of 1800 calories each day?   Rowing away 300 calories and then only consuming 1500 calories for the day is going to tough after a few days for someone  that weighs 220ish.   

The good news is they're only 100 each.  So it's not like you have to cut them out completely.  You just want to be sensible about it. 

It's amazing how many times i was like oh no i didn't realize how bad that was.  

Wait until you find out how many calories were in that takeout meal you used to get all the time. Oops. 
good thing i almost never do take out.  last night's burger was the first meal, not from home since 3/7.  when i was in WY. without the pandemic, i might have done it once or twice more.  food from restaurants usually hits my body like a freight train.  i'm so used to the healthy way of eating that i do at home, the salt/sugar/preservatives in restaurant food, really does a number on me.  last night's burger, had my heart pounding, and i felt like crap for about an hour.   :shrug:   i'm really lucky that my wife likes to cook, is a really good cook, and that she still likes me!   :lmao:  

Yeah I'm starting to realize that this counting calorie thing is not bad at all.  It's actually not that hard to stay under your goal (especially if you sprinkle in exercise).  It's motivating me to stop snacking as much but I'm still able to enjoy fun things (like drinking and an occasional dessert).
I have to exercise to stay under my goal.   I eat.  

Just finished dinner and have about 500 calories left.  Not sure how much I’m going to drink tonight but just to be safe, I’m gonna add in a second HIIT workout in a little bit.

Traitor!!!! 

You’re better off using your “counting calories” time doing another set of whatever.

Don’t eat bad stuff.  That’s a lot simpler than counting calories which apparently to everyone here is to justify adding junk to their diet because it’s fits in their little numbers game. 

Lift heavy ####. Put heavy #### down. Do it quickly (and safely). Drink water. Eat protein and veggies. Stay away from white man-made crap. 

Note: I’m only messing around with you guys. I fully understand that not everyone is the same and fully support whatever method works for you. 

Traitor!!!! 

You’re better off using your “counting calories” time doing another set of whatever.

Don’t eat bad stuff.  That’s a lot simpler than counting calories which apparently to everyone here is to justify adding junk to their diet because it’s fits in their little numbers game. 

Lift heavy ####. Put heavy #### down. Do it quickly (and safely). Drink water. Eat protein and veggies. Stay away from white man-made crap. 

Note: I’m only messing around with you guys. I fully understand that not everyone is the same and fully support whatever method works for you. 
While not perfect, it’s still better than what some of us were doing before this (I.e.  eating bad stuff, drinking bad stuff and not caring about calories).

It is shocking when you start tracking things...

Avg can of IPA, Craft, Stout, etc...10 points or more on WW vs 3 pts for a Miller Lite or equivalent, now I know that's piss water to many and believe me I love a good craft beer but sacrifices must be made and unfortunately a lot of folks didn't know they were an alcoholic until they start trying to lose weight.  

I maintain not all calories are equal and I will try to link some information as I find it that at least sheds some light on what I am implying. 

If Fred says so, then we're going with it, it's his month and his challenge and he's been a great leader in here. 

Day 34-Lot to say and will try not to make it a book report tonight. 

-The NFL and the City of Miami lost a great man today after a very long and fulfilling life. Of course I am speaking of Don Shula and when word broke this morning that he had passed away...in 1983, the season after a 9 game schedule due to the NFL Strike of '82, my father came home from the men's group at the Catholic Church we belonged to when I was kid, I was 9 years old and he woke me up to tell me he had won 2 tickets to go see the Miami Dolphins play in the Orange Bowl and we were going(we was POOR)...it was Marino's 1st start ever in the Orange Bowl taking over for David Woodley in about Week 6. 

I share that because Shula's passing brought back a lot of memories of my father who passed away many years ago now from cancer but it made me think about the 70s, the 80s and the 90s and I just got numb. When I get numb I like to drink and eat, wonder if anyone else ever feels empty and tries to fill it with food, alcohol or other things...nah probably just me 😉

-Didn't feel like exercising but once I got going this evening I kept going for a while. Mrs was with me on the 60 Minute walk and then I grabbed the bike and went another 60 Minutes and about 12 miles for a total this evening of almost 15 Miles through the neighborhood. 

-If we are still calculating exercise I am at 485 for the month, Mrs now 470 

-I managed to inhale about 2300 calories today, I'm shooting for under 1,800, MFP is giving me around 2,200 per day. I have roughly 700 calories  I could eat into(exercise) but I was done eating at 5:00 today. Some leftover slices of pizza from the weekend didn't help.

According to MyFitnessPal, based upon my starting weight (297.4), my goal weight (275) and an ambitious goal of losing 1.5 lbs per week, I’m allowed 2,280 calories per day.  Currently sitting at 2,098 for the day.  I do have 317 exercise calories today from 51 minutes of exercise (21 minutes walking & 30 minutes recumbent bike.

51 minutes today.  171 minutes for May.

According to MyFitnessPal, based upon my starting weight (297.4), my goal weight (275) and an ambitious goal of losing 1.5 lbs per week, I’m allowed 2,280 calories per day.  Currently sitting at 2,098 for the day.  I do have 317 exercise calories today from 51 minutes of exercise (21 minutes walking & 30 minutes recumbent bike.

51 minutes today.  171 minutes for May.
"TIMEOUT OFFENSE"(does the Referee double arm pointing like he's bringing in a 747)

I want to draw up a game plan with you CP, I set my controls and goals similar to what I will share here.  

1. When you load in the calories that MFP is going to allow you of 2,280...don't eat 2,280, try to shoot for under 2,000 and if you can hit 1,800 you would be wise. 

2. DO NOT EAT the exercise calories it loads back in or on top of the daily goal/target...read that again a couple times 😉

You want to try and create a 500-750 calorie deficit daily IMHO...somewhere around 3,500 calories makes up 1 pound of Fat or Flesh, 7 day week, 5 good days, 2 middle of the road and you lose 1 pound a week but I almost promise, you will lose even more as you go along. 

-I'm not someone that should give out advice because I can never keep it off but I have been your exact weight in my life time so I know how you feel. I haven't been thru exactly what you have been thru in the last few years of your life but I have lost loved ones and I understand pain. 

-Simplify everything, breakfast should be one of two or three things you eat daily rain or shine, limit the amount of sugar you eat and it's in everything so check labels CP. I think sugar is as addictive as cocaine and just as big a health risk for most. 

-Up your water and up your fiber intake but make it soluble vs insoluble...you likely have impacted bowels right now and would be shocked what an enema might do...wouldn't hurt to get that colonoscopy check up, they'll clean you out prior 😂

And if you are think I'm coming down on you, apologies my friend. I just want to help. 

did 4.38 miles today  ran 1.4 of it, hiked steep hills for .5 of it.  my knees are pissed.  3 days in a row of running, especially in the real world, is not my friend.  i miss my elliptical  @Otis  :cry:    but most of all, i miss my Finnish sauna.  10-15 minutes a day of intense sweating.  temp was usually between 160 and 180   :cry:    that's around 200 minutes a month.  

"TIMEOUT OFFENSE"(does the Referee double arm pointing like he's bringing in a 747)

I want to draw up a game plan with you CP, I set my controls and goals similar to what I will share here.  

1. When you load in the calories that MFP is going to allow you of 2,280...don't eat 2,280, try to shoot for under 2,000 and if you can hit 1,800 you would be wise. 

2. DO NOT EAT the exercise calories it loads back in or on top of the daily goal/target...read that again a couple times 😉

You want to try and create a 500-750 calorie deficit daily IMHO...somewhere around 3,500 calories makes up 1 pound of Fat or Flesh, 7 day week, 5 good days, 2 middle of the road and you lose 1 pound a week but I almost promise, you will lose even more as you go along. 

-I'm not someone that should give out advice because I can never keep it off but I have been your exact weight in my life time so I know how you feel. I haven't been thru exactly what you have been thru in the last few years of your life but I have lost loved ones and I understand pain. 

-Simplify everything, breakfast should be one of two or three things you eat daily rain or shine, limit the amount of sugar you eat and it's in everything so check labels CP. I think sugar is as addictive as cocaine and just as big a health risk for most. 

-Up your water and up your fiber intake but make it soluble vs insoluble...you likely have impacted bowels right now and would be shocked what an enema might do...wouldn't hurt to get that colonoscopy check up, they'll clean you out prior 😂

And if you are think I'm coming down on you, apologies my friend. I just want to help. 
Gotcha.  

I’m under the 2280 MFP allows.  Was about 2100 today ( That was with an unusual breakfast and heavy dinner).  I even decided against a snack, even as much as I wanted it.  Lol

Not planning on eating the exercise calories.  Not sure how they are calculated so I don’t trust the numbers. 

My goal is to stay under 2,000 a day, preferably around 1800 as you suggested. I’ll adjust as needed as I go.

did 4.38 miles today  ran 1.4 of it, hiked steep hills for .5 of it.  my knees are pissed.  3 days in a row of running, especially in the real world, is not my friend.  i miss my elliptical  @Otis  :cry:    but most of all, i miss my Finnish sauna.  10-15 minutes a day of intense sweating.  temp was usually between 160 and 180   :cry:    that's around 200 minutes a month.  
Don't know everyone's ages but I was reading how Tiger Woods wishes he didn't run so much when he was younger...WOW! What an indictment on running and you do see a lot of runners over their lifetime have to stop or destroy their knees etc...going the other way and being stationary throughout life isn't good either. 

I walk a lot and I'm sure i am doing some damage to my knees and ankles, i don't feel it as much when I cycle. 

My plan for this week is to try to "bank" some WW points in anticipation of having pizza and wine madness on Saturday.  I can carry over up to four WW daily points per day that then get added to my weekly allotment.  Today I was under my daily points by three, so will carry those over.

I'm in the "no breakfast" crowd for the most part, because I just am not hungry early in the day.  Sometimes I'll have a hard-boiled egg if anything.  Today was no breakfast.  Lunch was an amalgamation of green stuff I wanted to eat before we have our next produce pickup on Wednesday - some mixed rabe, string beans, and kale (0 WW points).  Sometimes I'd add a hard-boiled egg to a salad like this (also 0 points), but today I treated myself to some shaved pecorino cheese.  For dinner I ate five homemade meatballs and sauce leftover from Mr. krista's making them late last week.  I prefer putting greens on my meatballs to having them over pasta, so I threw some pea shoots and a little extra olive oil on there.  Had a Cara Cara orange for a snack.

I'm still doing my daily yoga and bipedal locomotion, but not counting it up or using it to gain extra food points to use.

ETA:  Drinking fizzy water instead of any wine today.

Gotcha.  

I’m under the 2280 MFP allows.  Was about 2100 today ( That was with an unusual breakfast and heavy dinner).  I even decided against a snack, even as much as I wanted it.  Lol

Not planning on eating the exercise calories.  Not sure how they are calculated so I don’t trust the numbers. 

My goal is to stay under 2,000 a day, preferably around 1800 as you suggested. I’ll adjust as needed as I go.
I disagree with MoP completely on this one. 

First of all, his advice may be unsafe. 

When you set up myfitnesspal it told you that you can eat 2280 calories and burn 1.5 lbs per week.  If you had chosen 2 lbs per week - which is the most that doctors recommend - that would be 2030. Anything more than that is generally considered unsafe and could cause health problems.  

Second, you're trying to build sustainable goals.  You have a long way to go so this isn't about how fast you can lose weight, it's about building positive habits that you'll stick to a year later. 

One of those habits is just sticking to your diet every day. You don't need to do anything but stay at 2280 calories a day for 5 weeks and you'll lose about 7.5 lbs. 

But another important habit is exercise.  What's magical about those calories myfitnesspal "gives you" for your exercise is that you get to eat more if you exercise. Rewarding yourself for exercise means you're more likely to challenge yourself to walking further tomorrow or trying some running or rowing or maybe some incline walking on a treadmill.  

And guess what?  A month from now, walking 30 minutes a day will seem like nothing and you'll be able to walk further, faster, up hills or even run/ bike/ etc.  And you'll want to. Go for a 30 minute walk, burn over 150 calories, that's enough for a big Gatorade. Go for a 10 minute run with 20 minutes walking and you'll get over 200.  That's a small slice of pizza. I did 30 minutes of jogging and 30 of running and burned 700 extra calories yesterday.  That's like a bacon cheeseburger. That's a huge incentive to increase your activity level.  Rewards like that drive behavior (note - I'm not suggesting eating a bacon cheeseburger every day, that's just used for comparison). 

There will be days you eat too much for lunch and you realize you don't have enough left for a decent dinner. Then you'll think,  if I go for a walk, I'll have enough calories for some chicken and vegetables.  That's motivation.  It feels like a game that you can win every day. 

That's also important because as you lose weight, you'll see that the number of calories you get each day goes down.  2280 is a LOT of calories.  You might lose 1.5 lbs per week at that rate right now, but if you lose 30 lbs you might see your new goal drops to 2000. That's ok - you're learning good habits that will make it easier. 

Now having said all that... I think you may have set up your profile on myfitnesspal as "moderately active". Because 2280 seems high to me for someone who is "sedentary".  I strongly prefer choosing "sedentary" because it lowers your starting goal but rewards tracking  your exercise. But if you choose "moderately active", it assumes you're doing stuff like walking around all day. And then you really shouldn't count those extra calories for going for a walk unless you've already done a lot of other active stuff that day.  So you might want to double check that before you get used to that new 2280 number.  

i'm at 2001 calories for the day.  including 3 glasses of white burgundy.  with exercise, i'm 599 short of the goal.  i don't much enjoy watching every little thing.  i suppose i'll get used to it.  

I disagree with MoP completely on this one. 

First of all, his advice may be unsafe. 
Let's work it out together and not make up stuff or accusations 😉

-I was inspired looking at CP's daily weight and exercise log from April, I will never forget it because everyday it would roll up or down a little and it just repeated the entire month, he exercised consistently so I don't think it's lack of exercise. 

-Can we agree that a pound of fat is roughly 3,500 calories and that if you create a calorie deficit to the tune of 500-700 calories a day you should lose between 1-2 lbs a week? If we can agree mostly to that I don't think we are far off Fred. 

-I encourage everyone not just CP but for everyone to try and focus on 1-ingredient foods that have almost no processing to them at all. 

And not all calories are the same IMO when you factor in things like salt and sugar which I cook very little with at home vs most food you get in a restaurant or take out. Also you can jam in a lot of saturated fat in 2,000 calories if you're not careful. 

If you can burn 2,500 calories a day, 1800 calorie intake is plenty for almost everyone. 400-500 calorie meals for ALL 3 plus leftovers for snacks, you show it clearly in the new thread you launched to promote your new line of BostonFred workout videos.

I could make the argument that if you eat 2,250 a day and burn 2,500 calories that a -250 deficit will over time take some weight off but it's going to be a slowwwww process and I think many will just give up because they don't see significant gains. Just my opinion but a lot of folks will keep going when they see results quicker. 

Users who are viewing this thread