What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

It was hard getting out of bed this morning.  I did drink a couple glasses of wine last night, that surely didn’t help, but otherwise was good yesterday with some peanut butter bran toast stuff for breakfast and a tuna steak for dinner, with a 100 cal bag of mini pretzels for a snack.

But I did it.  Up by 5, to the gym, lifted weights for the first time in, I dunno, a year and a half?  More?  What’s amazing is how pathetically weak you can become when you stop working out.  Holy moly.  But that’s ok.  

By the way, being at a gym in a pandemic is weird.  And wearing a mask while breathing heavy sux0rz.

On to a clean eating day, no alcohol, and let’s get some forward progress this week.

Took Friday off so haven't posted in a bit.  Didn't feel well most of Friday and haven't been on the yoga mat since Thursday.  I did get some decent exercise over the weekend walking, cleaning, and doing yard-work.  I didn't track much over the weekend, but I ate decently well and drank every night.  

Finished the 6-week pushup program Saturday.  I plan to try to do the 100 push-up test later today.  Feeling fairly confident actually.  

Plan to hit the yoga mat today as well, probably just a nice stretch one after the weekend of yard work and random stuff.  

Need to get rededicated this week to logging all food in MFP and also staying off the booze until the weekend.  

Unexpected drop after the weekend - 194.4 - feels like it may be a tad artificial, possibly a little dehydration.  I did order some kettlebells- showed up Saturday so did some kettlebell swings and squats.  A little sore today which is good - I’ve been woefully bad about exercise for a year.

Finished the 6-week pushup program Saturday.  I plan to try to do the 100 push-up test later today.  Feeling fairly confident actually.  
I'm excited to hear how this goes.  I think I hit 82 after the 6 week program.  Since then, I've been doing 100 push-ups a day for the past 3+ months.  As I was doing my push-ups yesterday, I was actually thinking that I could probably hit 100 straight if I tried again.  I've gotten stronger and the push-ups have gotten easier (and now my form is good as well).  

I'm excited to hear how this goes.  I think I hit 82 after the 6 week program.  Since then, I've been doing 100 push-ups a day for the past 3+ months.  As I was doing my push-ups yesterday, I was actually thinking that I could probably hit 100 straight if I tried again.  I've gotten stronger and the push-ups have gotten easier (and now my form is good as well).  
Good luck to you both. I’ve had to redo some days this go around - likely because I am going slower with slightly better form. Hopeful to get to the hundo challenge in 3-4 weeks. 

I cut out the pushups from my regular lifting routine but will be starting back up in earnest some time after Easter. It was just too much.  I'm sure I've lost a little of my gains so I'm thinking about starting back up on the program a few weeks in and really focusing on slow, good form push ups. Kudos to you guys for sticking to it and very interested to see if poke can get the hundred. It was hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got the 100 push-ups!  I had to pause around 73, only because my earbud fell out.  

Fully admit the form was poor in the last 10-15, but I really don't care.  I did 100 push-ups in a row!

My wrists are starting to give me pain, so I'm going to take a break from push-ups for a bit.  If/When I start back up I'm going to use my push-up stands.  (I'm also getting Pfizer shot #2 one week from today, so probably off the push-ups until I recover from that.)

Looking forward to a nice yoga stretch later and then a nice 1.5 mile dog walk.  (I walk the dog that far every day, weather permitting.)

Really torn on what to do next.  I've been really enjoying yoga, but also avoiding the harder session on push-up days.  May just go full into yoga for weight loss and strength for a few weeks.  Not sure yet.  I also did some nerdfitness bodyweight exercise at one point.  Was enjoying those and would like to work up to doing pull-ups.  

It was hard getting out of bed this morning.  I did drink a couple glasses of wine last night, that surely didn’t help, but otherwise was good yesterday with some peanut butter bran toast stuff for breakfast and a tuna steak for dinner, with a 100 cal bag of mini pretzels for a snack.

But I did it.  Up by 5, to the gym, lifted weights for the first time in, I dunno, a year and a half?  More?  What’s amazing is how pathetically weak you can become when you stop working out.  Holy moly.  But that’s ok.  

By the way, being at a gym in a pandemic is weird.  And wearing a mask while breathing heavy sux0rz.

On to a clean eating day, no alcohol, and let’s get some forward progress this week.
Congrats on getting back on the horse.  I like your plan to workout 4 days/week.  Mix in some walks on some of the off days and you will have the working out covered.  You and I share the problem just like many others.  We don’t like to control our eating and drinking in your case.  

In the last 2 weeks, I gave back 2 pounds of the 5 pounds I lost this year.  Pathetic, but it is time to get back on course.  

Well I got the 100 push-ups!  I had to pause around 73, only because my earbud fell out.  

Fully admit the form was poor in the last 10-15, but I really don't care.  I did 100 push-ups in a row!
To be clear, the pause was still in plank.  I just paused long enough to replace my right earbud and never went to my knees.  

bostonfred said:
I cut out the pushups from my regular lifting routine but will be starting back up in earnest some time after Easter. It was just too much.  I'm sure I've lost a little of my gains so I'm thinking about starting back up on the program a few weeks in and really focusing on slow, good form push ups. Kudos to you guys for sticking to it and very interested to see if poke can get the hundred. It was hard.
I’m in with you Fred when you do this. Keep wanting to try this but I keep giving up. 

Turns out that doing squats after you haven’t in a long time is a bad idea. Fire legs. 

I did not get up and row this morning. I may sneak one in later. Or at a minimum I’ll be walking the dog extensively later. But I will be getting in some exercise, and calorie tracking. Go go go n

Turns out that doing squats after you haven’t in a long time is a bad idea. Fire legs. 
You've gotta be careful doing squats after time away, it's a good way to tweak a hammy. It's been a long time since my 400lb squat days, so now I usually do body-weight squats at home or, before COVID I'd do maybe 95 or 115 using the weight rack at the office gym. When starting back out, I prefer to go super light and work more on stretching those muscles out rather than going for real weight. 

Just did a YWA video from 2013.  I didn't like it so much I'm not even linking it.  She's gotten a lot better at videos in the last 8 years.  I'm sticking to videos from 2015 and newer from now on.  

You've gotta be careful doing squats after time away, it's a good way to tweak a hammy. It's been a long time since my 400lb squat days, so now I usually do body-weight squats at home or, before COVID I'd do maybe 95 or 115 using the weight rack at the office gym. When starting back out, I prefer to go super light and work more on stretching those muscles out rather than going for real weight. 
Yeah.  Our versions of “super light” are probably different, but I just did 135 which used to be warm up reps for me, 3 sets, and I could barely knock out that third set.  And today super sore.  

Took the dog for a walk.  Hydrating.  Still a whole season before summer to get this right.  I really only need to lose 15-20lbs to be at what is probably an ideal weight.   That’s not a lot of weight.  And yet, I struggle...  but still at it...

Yeah.  Our versions of “super light” are probably different, but I just did 135 which used to be warm up reps for me, 3 sets, and I could barely knock out that third set.  And today super sore.  

Took the dog for a walk.  Hydrating.  Still a whole season before summer to get this right.  I really only need to lose 15-20lbs to be at what is probably an ideal weight.   That’s not a lot of weight.  And yet, I struggle...  but still at it...
Back in college I used to warm up at 205 or 225 before doing the actual sets, but man that was a long time ago. :bag:  I think for most people, 3x10 (or 8 or 12 or whatever) at 135 is nothing to sneeze at. Squats are such a great full body workout that really works your legs and core, and you don't really need to go heavy to get good benefits from it (IMO). 

Long hours at work and actually spending time with your family don't make it easy to stay in shape. Best part of working from home is that I take an hour every afternoon before getting the kids from daycare to go run or whatever. Not everybody can do that, but I know you can reach your goals. Keep it up!

Just did a YWA video from 2013.  I didn't like it so much I'm not even linking it.  She's gotten a lot better at videos in the last 8 years.  I'm sticking to videos from 2015 and newer from now on.  
I'd intended to mention this about the Yoga for Weight Loss one I did a couple of days ago on fred's recommendation.  While I liked and will return to it, it was also from 2013, and she was not nearly as good.  In fact, for much of the video, she would start a move with "Now I'm going to..." instead of instructing the way she does now.  It was mildly irritating.

I'd intended to mention this about the Yoga for Weight Loss one I did a couple of days ago on fred's recommendation.  While I liked and will return to it, it was also from 2013, and she was not nearly as good.  In fact, for much of the video, she would start a move with "Now I'm going to..." instead of instructing the way she does now.  It was mildly irritating.
I remember a video, might have been one of the 30 days but not the original 2015 ones, where she said she had spent a lot of time working on that because she realized people were trying to watch on a tablet or TV and she couldn't walk around and correct their poses so they were craving their necks to see the TV and that didn't help anyone.  So she had to learn how to give instructions so you didn't have to look. 

That's why she uses the exact same wording for certain moves or combinations.  You can finish the sentences

Together we'll meet... 

Step or hop up to... 

Imagjne a big piece of fruit...

Holding simba...

Heel toe heel toe your feet to...

Beach ball...

You don't have to look at the screen when she says those.  It's one of the things that makes her so effective.  

Considering rejoining the gym. 60 min, Heated vinyasa flow daily.  Plus all the other beugie crap  

The Head yoga dude, is one of the big pictures, on the wall, at lulu lemon. Classes are SERIOUS business. 🤣🤣. They’re awesome though. I miss it. 

The instructors just call out the poses. I’m often lost.   :oldunsure:    They only demonstrate when they’re really hard. 🤣

Good eating day. Didn’t need the white wine at the end, but it was within calorie limits, so here we are.  Walked the dog, didn’t otherwise exercise, but the alarm is set for the morning, may hit the gym again. We’ll see. 

Got up early and a 30 minute row for 400+ calories.  Plan to hit the gym tomorrow morning. Healthy start to eating. 

Weighed in at 227. It’s good because it’s not a tremendous backslide, but a month ago I was close to crossing below 225. So it’s been a static month. Feels like a waste of four weeks. But again, beats waking up at 235 or 240 again.

Also, body fat seems to be slowly decreasing, down to 29.2%.  They won’t be putting me on the cover of Men’s Health anytime soon, but progress. 

Let’s go. 

If I limit myself to 4 vanilla wafers (actually pretty healthy compared to many other options) between dinner and bed, I consider that success.  That’s what I’ve been trying lately.  Still able to satiate my sweet tooth without going too crazy.
I've mentioned this before.  Hershey kisses are my 'not so bad' after dinner snack.  4 dark chocolate kisses are 86 calories.  I can make those kisses last at least half an hour and it (mostly) satisfies my sweet cravings.  

I've also done vanilla wafers and the Chicka Boom Pop light kettle corn popcorn.  Moderation with all of it is key.  

Got up early and a 30 minute row for 400+ calories.  Plan to hit the gym tomorrow morning. Healthy start to eating. 

Weighed in at 227. It’s good because it’s not a tremendous backslide, but a month ago I was close to crossing below 225. So it’s been a static month. Feels like a waste of four weeks. But again, beats waking up at 235 or 240 again.

Also, body fat seems to be slowly decreasing, down to 29.2%.  They won’t be putting me on the cover of Men’s Health anytime soon, but progress. 

Let’s go. 
https://i.redd.it/r9c80oqgfko61.png

Never got on the mat yesterday but did walk the dog.  May be the same today as I have a busy afternoon and haven't carved out the time yet.  Ugh.

Posting helped me stick with it the first time. So here we go again.  Target weight: 207

March 12:   281 lbs  

March 19:   274 lbs

March 26:  270 lbs
Good week overall. Got in five rides on my exercise bike and have been gradually ramping up resistance. Had a few extra calories last weekend. But otherwise stuck to around 1500-1600 calories each day during the week.

I've been pushing my warmup in the warmer weather, and I paid for it today. My low back was hurting pretty bad before the halfway point. I knew it was muscular, and gutted my way around at a 19:38 pace. Maybe I'll learn.

Users who are viewing this thread