What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (10 Viewers)

Yoga with Tim Transform Day 3 done.  More of the same with a decent amount of one leg balancing today. I did this one a little too soon after lunch and almost  :X .  Need to be more aware of that in the future. This one also had some tough ab work near the end when all the cool down stretches had already started. That really messes with the mind as mentally I thought I made it past the hard parts.  

Will try to be good this weekend. Time will tell. 

Yoga with Tim Transform Day 3 done.  More of the same with a decent amount of one leg balancing today. I did this one a little too soon after lunch and almost  :X .  Need to be more aware of that in the future. This one also had some tough ab work near the end when all the cool down stretches had already started. That really messes with the mind as mentally I thought I made it past the hard parts.  

I'm tempted to check out some Tim based on your raves, but it feels so...wrong.  Maybe I'll double up on Adriene and Tim one day this weekend.  :oldunsure:

Today I chose the 33-minute Side Body Flow.  I liked it because she hit the ground running after only a short extended child's pose to begin.  I must be getting better because even the long side planks at the end felt kinda good.

I've been mostly good so far this week on the eating/drinking, staying within the "healthy eating zone" every day, though I did dip into a couple of weekly points on two days (still well within my weekly point allocation).  Now, to keep it going through the weekend...especially given we are continuing to have perfect weather every day.  

Oh, also I got my first Moderna jab yesterday.  Didn't do yoga because I was a little tired (which might not even have been vaccine-related), but did get my miles in, and I feel fine today. 

Honestly, the late night food and drinking binges are basically cause of all my weight gain.  Cutting that out is a huge change and like you I wake up and have a light breakfast and regular intact of Coffee.  Hardest part of dieting is resisting those evening binges as a couple of beers and some ####### oreos after I have them sounds amazing.  

ETA - And when I say have some ####### oreos I mean eat at least half the box.
Uh, please sir, in here we refer to “racks” of Oreos. 

Made some progress this week, got down to 225.9 this morning, and so what did I do?  Well, I immediately had a “weekend is coming” cheat day, obviously.  

Lunch date with Mrs. O and two beers, pizza in the evening with some red wine.  Some sweets. 

It’s cool.  I can have a bad day.  But I can’t have 2-3.  So, can I course correct on a weekend?  I was 227 and change at the end of last week, 225 and change at the end of this week, and if I can figure out a way to be 223 and change by next Friday, I’d be ecstatic.  

May wake up and hit the gym in the morning, try and get the day shot off into the right trajectory.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Made some progress this week, got down to 225.9 this morning, and so what did I do?  Well, I immediately had a “weekend is coming” cheat day, obviously.  

Lunch date with Mrs. O and two beers, pizza in the evening with some red wine.  Some sweets. 

It’s cool.  I can have a bad day.  But I can’t have 2-3.  So, can I course correct on a weekend?  I was 227 and change at the end of last week, 225 and change at the end of this week, and if I can figure out a way to be 223 and change by next Friday, I’d be ecstatic.  

May wake up and hit the gym in the morning, try and get the day shot off into the right trajectory.  
Victory has defeated you

Traveling will #### up any sort exercise one was considering to do. 

And don’t tell me!!!!  That It has anything to do with the 9 course meal and too much wine yesterday. 

Or the bojangles for lunch(it’s been a minute, since we’ve been in the south). Or the too many beers I had tonight. surprising a  dear friend, for her bday. 

Tomorrow, the plan is to go to the bottom of the damn mountain they live on, And hike back up. Then start drinking again. 😁😁

2,200 active calories burned on the mountain bike this morning. 20 miles, 2,200 feet of climbing and our first rattlesnake sighting of the season. My neighbor almost went over his handlebars trying to stop before running it over. 

2,200 active calories burned on the mountain bike this morning. 20 miles, 2,200 feet of climbing and our first rattlesnake sighting of the season. My neighbor almost went over his handlebars trying to stop before running it over. 
If I did the type of exercise that you do every day, I would give myself a pass to drink as much as I wanted whenever I wanted.  Amazing!

Damn, all success in here today!  I'll add to the winning!11  Got up and immediately did 45 minutes of fred-recommended yoga this morning - the Total Body Yoga - Deep Stretch.  Grrrrreeeat one to start the day, as it's challenging but very slow. 

Then I did my 4+ miles of walking and completed my 700-mile challenge.  🎉 🎉  The challenge was 700 miles in six months, and I completed it in 161 days.  W00t.

I've decided to drink almost all of my WW points today.  It is too gorgeous (76 and sunny - perfection!) not to sit on the patio with some wine.

Two things:

1. Saturday beat me.  The first half of Saturday I destroyed, but I then went to a family party and had some drinks with my BILs, and it went downhill fast.  So, Saturday beat me.

But Sunday won’t beat me.  After Friday and Saturday beat me, I absolutely cannot afford to lose another day this weekend.  

2. I saw a picture my wife took recently of me and the kids — and this is after losing 15-20lbs so far this year — and holy crap do I look like I need to lose easily another 20lbs.  Probably could stand to lose 30+.  It was motivating.  

I need to redouble my efforts here.  Still so much work to do.  I think I’m gonna go back to the super low cal weekdays, where I was targeting leaving 500 calories unused out of whatever MFP allots for me.  I was making some good progress there and feeling good.  And that’s what I need.  It still gives me 1,000-1,200 calories of food each day, a little more if I exercise, which honestly is plenty.  I don’t *need* any more than that.

And then the biggest hurdle: beating weekends.  I need to start beating weekends.  Or this will just never work. 

Otis said:
Two things:

1. Saturday beat me.  The first half of Saturday I destroyed, but I then went to a family party and had some drinks with my BILs, and it went downhill fast.  So, Saturday beat me.

But Sunday won’t beat me.  After Friday and Saturday beat me, I absolutely cannot afford to lose another day this weekend.  

2. I saw a picture my wife took recently of me and the kids — and this is after losing 15-20lbs so far this year — and holy crap do I look like I need to lose easily another 20lbs.  Probably could stand to lose 30+.  It was motivating.  

I need to redouble my efforts here.  Still so much work to do.  I think I’m gonna go back to the super low cal weekdays, where I was targeting leaving 500 calories unused out of whatever MFP allots for me.  I was making some good progress there and feeling good.  And that’s what I need.  It still gives me 1,000-1,200 calories of food each day, a little more if I exercise, which honestly is plenty.  I don’t *need* any more than that.

And then the biggest hurdle: beating weekends.  I need to start beating weekends.  Or this will just never work. 
You don't need to change anything during the week. I think the suggestion you tossed out there is a horrible idea given your obvious weakness. All such a deficit will do is exacerbate your problem. 

You don't need to change anything during the week. I think the suggestion you tossed out there is a horrible idea given your obvious weakness. All such a deficit will do is exacerbate your problem. 
Maybe true. If I basically stay with what I’m doing Sunday-Thursday and then do the same thing Friday and Saturday, I’d be making huge progress. 

Making my ***official*** weigh-ins on Saturday morning Does wonders for me. Of course, you can't cut loose on Friday night. For purposes of my diet, the weekend is just three meals: migas for Saturday brunch, something not approved by the American Diabetes Association late on Saturday night, and lunch with my parents (chicken stew and cornbread this time) on Sunday. Tonight's dinner was chicken salad, but is almost always just like my other Mon-Fri dinners-light on carbs, a little heavy on protein and fat.

Making my ***official*** weigh-ins on Saturday morning Does wonders for me. Of course, you can't cut loose on Friday night. For purposes of my diet, the weekend is just three meals: migas for Saturday brunch, something not approved by the American Diabetes Association late on Saturday night, and lunch with my parents (chicken stew and cornbread this time) on Sunday. Tonight's dinner was chicken salad, but is almost always just like my other Mon-Fri dinners-light on carbs, a little heavy on protein and fat.
This sounds like a great way to handle weekends.  You're eating good meals, enjoying your life, but not going overboard.  Seems so simple...

I killed it Sunday.  Bike ride with my daughter, walk with the dog, great eating all around, and planned around the two (2) Slim Hazy IPAs I got to enjoy (95 cals each) during the Knicks OT win.  My weight-in this morning is still out of whack based on Friday and Saturday, so I'm going to ignore it until about Wednesday morning of this week.  Next weekend we head up to our mountain house and we're having company up there on Saturday.  That'll be the challenging day.  I'm going to ensure Friday and Sunday are squeaky clean, and I'm going to need a new strategy for Saturday -- maybe I just go in with a plan for exactly what I'm going to allow myself, and stick to it.  

But for now, Saturday is a ways off.  Focusing on another good week.

so last week friday they shot some xrays of my back and i have a slight scoliosis at the base of my spine and two discs that are probably messed up as a result then some stenosis that they think is pinching a nerve when i stand up and do not hunch over so now today i am getting an mri so that they can get to the bottom of it all and the doc said probably looking at pt to strengthen my core and possibly injections surgery as an absolute last measure i just need them to get me right or at least sort of right so that i can walk again because that is a part of my magic mix to keep slim and heart healthy all right be good you all and have a nice week take that to the bank bromigos 

so last week friday they shot some xrays of my back and i have a slight scoliosis at the base of my spine and two discs that are probably messed up as a result then some stenosis that they think is pinching a nerve when i stand up and do not hunch over so now today i am getting an mri so that they can get to the bottom of it all and the doc said probably looking at pt to strengthen my core and possibly injections surgery as an absolute last measure i just need them to get me right or at least sort of right so that i can walk again because that is a part of my magic mix to keep slim and heart healthy all right be good you all and have a nice week take that to the bank bromigos 
I'm not a doctor, and this is not medical advice.  Please continue to work with your medical professionals.

Yoga has really helped my back.  I believe I always had an Anterior Pelvic Tilt (APT), which in the last two months of (almost) daily yoga has been fairly well corrected.  The strengthening of my core and lengthening of my spine through yoga has basically eliminated my back pain.  

Maybe ask your PT about it?  Take it to the brobank, bromigo.

thanks brohan i will right now literally anything is on the table for me that isnt surgery hell if they want to stick some needles in me and light them on fire and dance the macaraina i will hum along if it means no more surgeries take that to the bank 

thanks brohan i will right now literally anything is on the table for me that isnt surgery hell if they want to stick some needles in me and light them on fire and dance the macaraina i will hum along if it means no more surgeries take that to the bank 
Good luck SWC.  

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Oh, weigh-in report:  when I rejoined WW, it showed my last weigh-in as having been 6/8/20.  At that point, I'd maintained for 2-3 months after hitting my low weight.  I did maintain for a few more months before going off the rails about six months ago.  I've gained 17 pounds, representing about 1/3 of what I initially lost.  So my goal is set to slightly outdo my last low reading:  I will lose 18 pounds and then go back to maintenance.
Week 0:  Goal - lose 18 pounds

Week 1:  -5.4 pounds

I can only imagine how much I'd have lost if not for all the wine!  I know every week won't be like this, but it's a good start.

12.6 pounds to go.

I finally pulled this video up.  :shock:   Oh hai, Tim.

Yesterday I wanted a longer session, so I revisited the 58-minute Yoga for Weight Loss - Balance Practice.  I agree with your earlier assessment that it's beginner stuff, but the billion sequences of standing splits, warriors, and lunges near the end felt challenging to me.  After we'd gone through 3-4 of these on each side, I thought surely we were done, and she said, "Let's do it again!"  That sound you heard was me quietly sobbing.

Lost 1/2 pound last week in this mornings weigh in with total loss of 5lbs.  Basically blew up all day saturday as it was my girls birthday this saturday.  Was mostly a family affair but a couple of beers and then bowls of Dorritoes and other snack sitting out all day and I didn't stand a chance.  Didn't entirely waste a week as a result but pretty close.  Was back on program yesterday and today.   

So I did Yoga with Tim Transform days 4 and 5 over the weekend.  I don't really remember day 4, must have been more vinyasa flow heavy yoga work.  Day 5 was just stretching and it was much different than a normal yoga stretch session.  It wasn't my favorite, but it did seem to work.  

I just finished day 6, which wasn't yoga at all.  Just some basic warmup moves and then strength training mostly with bands and/or body weight.  I can post details if someone is interested.  It was a very complete body workout.

I wasn't the best this past weekend, but I also wasn't my worst.  Guess that's making progress, right?  

Keep up the good work!

whoa nelly had my mri last night and in a nutshell without violating my own hippa rights i have annular tears and disc protrusions at every level from the t12 to s1 except at one disc level which are hitting the nerve root at multiple levels and i have stenosis and facet disease at various but not all levels in that same range brohans i will get through this because i have to but i am starting to feel like the big kahuna isnt giving me good cards that is all i am sayin so walking and biking it out for a while and i will have to control my weight through food and nothing else for a bit take that to the bank 

That's tough brohan. I'm not a spine surgeon, but I do work for them. You'll want to look out for bowel or bladder problems, or numbness on your back that's kinda saddle-shaped. Those would make you an immediate surgical candidate. Otherwise, you might have to fail PT and/or injections first. You beat the widowmaker, you got this.

i am very hopeful that they will go pt and injections and that they will work i will bust my keester to make sure they do its all that i can do i do not want to get chopped up again too many surgeries already and i am really regretting my love of playing basketball for so many years right now take that to the bank brohans 

whoa nelly had my mri last night and in a nutshell without violating my own hippa rights i have annular tears and disc protrusions at every level from the t12 to s1 except at one disc level which are hitting the nerve root at multiple levels and i have stenosis and facet disease at various but not all levels in that same range brohans i will get through this because i have to but i am starting to feel like the big kahuna isnt giving me good cards that is all i am sayin so walking and biking it out for a while and i will have to control my weight through food and nothing else for a bit take that to the bank 
Biking as well?   That is tough.  I basically went away from running entirely due to the impact on my back.  Good luck man.

i hope to be back at it soon i am just on a hold until i see my doc again and that is tomorrow my hope is that i get permission to ride again take that to the bank brohan and thank you for the well wishes much obliged 

Is anyone familiar with the weights offered at a YMCA? 

I know of the cardio (bike, tredmill, yoga etc al ) but am lost on strength/conditioning

I want to lose fat, but also gain muscle mass.  I just feel so lost on where to start, and stick with goals. 

(stuck at 184 lbs ; 5'6 25% bd fat) 

Is three times a week for an hour doable?

Well I screwed up and did an incorrect day 7 from Yoga with Tim.  It was 35-min and fine, but wasn't part of the 'Transform' program.  Followed that up with the proper day 7 Transform session.  It was 15 mins of breathing.  I'm glad I screwed up as 15-min of just breathing is kinda lame.  I get why yogis think breathing is important, but I'm not going to focus on it as much as they do.  Oh well.  

It's cold as hell here, but I still took the dog for a quick walk.  

Was right at my calories yesterday and have been off the booze this week.  On track to be under calories today.

Keep up the good work!

wazoo11 said:

I know of the cardio (bike, tredmill, yoga etc al ) but am lost on strength/conditioning

I want to lose fat, but also gain muscle mass.  I just feel so lost on where to start, and stick with goals. 

3x/week would be perfect.  stay ridiculously light with the weight.  legs and core primarily, to start.  and then with an early focus on big muscle groups.  chest, back, legs.  slow and steady, with serious focus on form.  again, keep the weights light.  isometric exercises would be great to mix things up.

3x/week would be perfect.  stay ridiculously light with the weight.  legs and core primarily, to start.  and then with an early focus on big muscle groups.  chest, back, legs.  slow and steady, with serious focus on form.  again, keep the weights light.  isometric exercises would be great to mix things up.
Thank you. I understand how to diet, just not proper exercise. I had terrible gym phobia as being picked on as the fat kid. 

(therapy exposure has helped just to get back into the gym.) 

wazoo11 said:

Machines are easier than barbells or dumbbells if you are starting out. When you use them you do sets of exercises, like 12 repetitions at 25 pounds.  If you are lifting the most you can lift you can probably only do a few reps. When you do lower weights you can probably do 12 or 15. If you can do 15 nice and slow and have good form then you should use the next heavier weight next time and try to do 12. Or ten.  Or eight. Nobody but you will know.

One option is to pick something that you will stick with and build on it.  It's fun to see chest muscles and biceps where your man boots and flabby arms use to be. Biceps curls, chest press and triceps all give you visible muscle. 

But you have lots and lots of muscle groups and if you've never been to the gym and you're asking this question, in the fn Otis thread of all places, then they're all weak.  And getting weaker every year because you constantly lose muscle as you age. If you build up big arms and don't strengthen your core and back and legs you will probably get injured at some point doing something stupid like sleeping weird or turning to see what the score is in the game.  

The best answer is to do circuit training and just do one set on each machine.  Ask someone who works there to show you how or sign up for a class they will teach you. 

If that's not an option you can pick out exercises for each muscle group.

Back muscles you can do rows.  There's usually a machine where you sit down and you pull two handles towards you.  Put the weight low enough that you can lift it then put it one lower and try to pull it towards you very, very slowly. Then do the same thing as you lower it.  To make sure you're using your back you can imagine that you are pulling your shoulder blades together to lift the weights and your arms are just coming along for the ride. If you don't have that machine, do a bent over row with a dumbbell and look up videos for proper form. 

When you do one muscle you can usually do the opposite thing too without getting tired. So when you pull with your back, you can push with your chest. Pushups are easy at home or you can do a chest press or fly.  Anything that says it works your pectoral is good. 

Instead of pushing things forward and pulling them back you can push them up over your head and pull them down towards you. The machines that do that are called lat pulldown and overhead press.

You can do the same things but pulling down in front of you (or behind your head).  That works your triceps, which are the back of your arms. My triceps used to be super weak and I had a hard time doing other exercises because of it.  

Now do the same thing but with your legs. Push down on your feet to push weight away, or squat down and lower to the floor. They work opposite muscles and you need both.

Work your core using planks- hold yourself at the top of a pushup and don't go up and down just stay there with your back flat until you feel like you're going to collapse and then stay just a little longer.  At first that might be like ten seconds but it gets easier.  You can do other exercises but planks are a good start for your core. 

When you're done make sure you get lots of rest, eat lots of protein and drink plenty of water. 

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

Weighed in at 226.3 this morning. Could this be the week I finally break below 225?  It’s been a while.... (a couple years ago, and that’s the only time I was briefly below 225 in the past 5+ years). 

I got this. :football:  

Then I need to bust down below 220.  But one step at a time...

Things that are working for me this go round:

- tracking calories with MFP. 
- eating breakfast (200 cals) 
- no calories after 8

- lifting weights again (2-3 times a week), and otherwise just trying to get out daily to walk the dog or a bike ride with the kids.  Even a 30 min walk gets me almost a couple hundred calories that earn me a beer or glass of wine

Big challenging weekend ahead. I’d love love love to start off on Monday without having to spend two days undoing what I did over the weekend.  We’ll see...

Users who are viewing this thread