What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (15 Viewers)

I should be more excited about that but I think I've put all my health related motivation into running and not saved enough for the diet part.  I have probably lost a pound in the last week and a half, but it should be more like three.  The good news is that being able to eat a lot and still lose a little is a huge motivation to keep running.  But I really need to get my #### together. 
Welcome back, we've missed you GB

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you guys have been posting so much!

Did another Down Dog session.  40 min, Full Practice, Intermediate 2, core focus.  This one kinda kicked my ###.  Lots of forearm work, including 3 legged forearm planks which were new.  Also new was an elbow stand, which I kinda liked.  It led into plow, which was a no for me but I tried.  Intermediate II is probably my limit for now. My abs hurt.

I've been under my calories for a few days in a row now.  

Keep up the good work!  (Assuming you're still out there?!?!)

Wow, you guys have been posting so much!

Did another Down Dog session.  40 min, Full Practice, Intermediate 2, core focus.  This one kinda kicked my ###.  Lots of forearm work, including 3 legged forearm planks which were new.  Also new was an elbow stand, which I kinda liked.  It led into plow, which was a no for me but I tried.  Intermediate II is probably my limit for now. My abs hurt.

I've been under my calories for a few days in a row now.  

Keep up the good work!  (Assuming you're still out there?!?!)
Just Googled plow pose. I had always heard that called upside down sucking your own #### pose. That's a hard pass for me.

Just Googled plow pose. I had always heard that called upside down sucking your own #### pose. That's a hard pass for me.
I mean I can do it kinda.  But my feet are getting nowhere near the ground, if that makes sense.  Elbow stand is like plow with legs straight in the air.  Plow just takes the legs all the way over your head.  I have a feeling my gut (less but still there) prevents the plow legs getting to the ground.  

Will provide updates on fellating myself.  It's been a goal since I was 13!

You could do the hokey pokey in reverse, put your whole self in then you shake it all about and then by the time you put your left and right feet in you're basically done

my biggest problem, is laying my arms flat.  currently, that's a no go.  at all.
It is absolutely mind boggling to me that you look at shoulder stands and think no way will I be able to get my arms to lie flat.  And I remember when I was struggling through the first tough yoga sessions and you were like this child's pose is killing me.  It's hard to imagine how different our life choices have been.

It is absolutely mind boggling to me that you look at shoulder stands and think no way will I be able to get my arms to lie flat.  And I remember when I was struggling through the first tough yoga sessions and you were like this child's pose is killing me.  It's hard to imagine how different our life choices have been.
shoulder stand is easy.  self felating bendy pose, is where my flat arms are not happening.  arms still bent?  easy-ish

:lmao:

Posting helped me stick with it the first time. So here we go again. 

This week:  245 lbs       Last week:  246 lbs

Change:  -1 lbs               Loss to date:  36 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
Oof. No strenuous exercise because of a medical procedure, and couldn't get even a walk in until yesterday thanks to rain and working late. When I finally was able to eat normally after the procedure I splurged a bit.  I told myself it was fine if I gained weight, but happy to see I somehow managed to lose a pound despite. The days I couldn't exercise my sleep was so much worse. 

Today I can get back to my normal routine though. Going to hop on the exercise bike soon as I finish typing this. Also started physical therapy on my shoulder, which I hurt doing push ups back in March. Hopefully it'll get me to where I can start some weight lifting and upper body work eventually.

Have kinda let myself go this week.  Son had baseball playoffs, so we were at the baseball fields every evening.  My road bike has been out of commission with some grinding noises coming from the rear hub that i haven't fixed yet, and my mountain bike just had a brake piston sticking that I've been trying to get fixed.  Finally just took it in to the shop.

Basically a week of late nights, scrambling for fast food to feed the kids, and no exercise.  Feel like I've put on some pounds in the course of this week alone.  Mountain bike is fixed and ready to go, and we are heading to Tahoe for the holiday weekend, so I intend to get some serious riding in and burn some of this weight off.

Have kinda let myself go this week.  Son had baseball playoffs, so we were at the baseball fields every evening.  My road bike has been out of commission with some grinding noises coming from the rear hub that i haven't fixed yet, and my mountain bike just had a brake piston sticking that I've been trying to get fixed.  Finally just took it in to the shop.

Basically a week of late nights, scrambling for fast food to feed the kids, and no exercise.  Feel like I've put on some pounds in the course of this week alone.  Mountain bike is fixed and ready to go, and we are heading to Tahoe for the holiday weekend, so I intend to get some serious riding in and burn some of this weight off.
Sounds like a fun weekend!

I guess I was really ready to go this morning. My pace was 18:22, even though I had to field a call from Bipolar Girl during the warmup.

The scale says I lost 0.9 pounds, which is fine after last week's big loss. I anticipate next Saturday will be a real challenge after this holiday weekend. Keep at it, everybody.

My mother in law lives in Tahoe so it’s our home away from home. Turns out she has gone plant based. I rode 12.5 miles, 1,500+ feet of climbing (and at elevation) with 1,700 active calories burned. I already feel like I cancelled out my last week of terrible eating. Oh, and my pants feel looser again. 

Hey kids.  Been awhile.

Pandemic restrictions combined with a lot of work stress has taken its toll.

Stress eating combined with being mentally fried when logging off the computer at the end of the work day and not wanting to do anything saw my weight creep way up.

Decided it was time to begin to address the issue.  Consciously tried to start to eat a little less and started riding the exercise bike.

May 1 I was 318.6.  This morning I was 314.2.

Started on the bike for 15 minutes a night.  I’m up to 45 minutes.  Working my way towards 60 minutes.

Other than that, I’m doing alright.  Cancer is in remission.  I have 5 immunotherapy treatments remaining.  Just dealing with borderline kidney function concerns.  That’s mostly a function of the daily oral chemotherapy medicine I’m on.  I stop the daily oral chemo when I finish my immunotherapy treatments.

Hope everyone here is doing better than me.  Lol. But I’m trying.

Cheesey

P.S.  Work still sucks but forcing myself the ride the exercise bike is helping reduce the stress, slightly.
Been 4 weeks since I started to amend my ways.  Up to an hour at a time the recumbent bike, every other day.  Trying to get back to everyday (or at least most days).  Besides the exercise bike the only other is slight dietary changes.  Trying not to make too many substantial changes at once.  Right now I’m just trying to build habits.  Haven’t set a particular long range goal.  For now, I just want to get under 300.

May 1 - 318.6

May 8 - 313.0

May 22 - 312.4

May 29 - 309.6

My mother in law lives in Tahoe so it’s our home away from home. Turns out she has gone plant based. I rode 12.5 miles, 1,500+ feet of climbing (and at elevation) with 1,700 active calories burned. I already feel like I cancelled out my last week of terrible eating. Oh, and my pants feel looser again. 
What part of Tahoe?

Been 4 weeks since I started to amend my ways.  Up to an hour at a time the recumbent bike, every other day.  Trying to get back to everyday (or at least most days).  Besides the exercise bike the only other is slight dietary changes.  Trying not to make too many substantial changes at once.  Right now I’m just trying to build habits.  Haven’t set a particular long range goal.  For now, I just want to get under 300.

May 1 - 318.6

May 8 - 313.0

May 22 - 312.4

May 29 - 309.6
Great job, keep it up!!

I just looked up plow pose.  How do you even get into it?  Just lie down and hurtle your legs back, hoping for the best?
I did an Adriene yesterday that had a long stretch of talkie-talkie at the end, so since we were already on our backs, I decided to try the plow pose.  Ended up getting into it basically as described above (gianmarco was not around, so it felt safe).  I thought I was going to ease into it by doing the shoulder stand first, but as I threw myself up there to get into shoulder stand, I couldn't stop the momentum and just ended up in plow.

That was fun.  I'll do that more often.

I did an Adriene yesterday that had a long stretch of talkie-talkie at the end, so since we were already on our backs, I decided to try the plow pose.  Ended up getting into it basically as described above (gianmarco was not around, so it felt safe).  I thought I was going to ease into it by doing the shoulder stand first, but as I threw myself up there to get into shoulder stand, I couldn't stop the momentum and just ended up in plow.

That was fun.  I'll do that more often.
So much joke potential here

@Maurile Tremblay — I’m considering starting a regular fast, say 24-36 hours each week (i.e., don’t eat on Mondays).  Not just for the calorie limiting, but just as much for the other health benefits.  My basic understanding is that our bodies spend a crapton of energy digesting food all the time, which energy could be spent doing other things.  When you give your digestive system a break, your body can instead focus on self repair at the cellular level, inflammation, other injuries and health issues.  It all makes good sense to me, particularly when you consider that we evolved over millions of years, and it wasn’t until only very recently that we started pumping 3 square meals a day, plus all the snacks and desserts, into our bodies (riddled with sugars and processed nonsense, though that’s separate issue).  Seems to me our bodies are probably tuned best to operate NOT to be eating so much.  It makes sense that giving our bodies a break here and there could have all sorts of benefits.

That said, I’m paging you because you’re the smart science guy — wanted your take on this, and also wanted to know if you have any links to scientific studies/support for the health benefits.

@Maurile Tremblay — I’m considering starting a regular fast, say 24-36 hours each week (i.e., don’t eat on Mondays).  Not just for the calorie limiting, but just as much for the other health benefits.  My basic understanding is that our bodies spend a crapton of energy digesting food all the time, which energy could be spent doing other things.  When you give your digestive system a break, your body can instead focus on self repair at the cellular level, inflammation, other injuries and health issues.  It all makes good sense to me, particularly when you consider that we evolved over millions of years, and it wasn’t until only very recently that we started pumping 3 square meals a day, plus all the snacks and desserts, into our bodies (riddled with sugars and processed nonsense, though that’s separate issue).  Seems to me our bodies are probably tuned best to operate NOT to be eating so much.  It makes sense that giving our bodies a break here and there could have all sorts of benefits.

That said, I’m paging you because you’re the smart science guy — wanted your take on this, and also wanted to know if you have any links to scientific studies/support for the health benefits.
PS, anecdotally, I know that when I’ve done 1-2 day fasts, I tend to feel amazing — more energy, more focus, the inflammation is gone, etc.  Supports everything I’ve read.

When I walked outside, there was a light sprinkle falling, but I didn't let that stop me. It soon disappeared...but I was still a mile from home when it started just plain raining. That drove me to an 18:21 pace, and now the sun is shining. LOL.
Strong work!  Is that your fastest pace since you’ve been doing this?

Strong work!  Is that your fastest pace since you’ve been doing this?
Probably, not 100% sure. I am sure that I do better when I 1) sleep more than six hours the night before, and 2) don't boil out the door <20 minutes after waking up.

Week 0:  Goal - lose 18 pounds

Week 1:  -5.4 pounds, -5.4 pounds total

Week 2:  -0.4 pounds, -5.8 pounds total

Week 3:  -2.2 pounds, -8 pounds total

Week 4:  -1.2 pounds, -9.2 pounds total

Week 5:  -0.6 pounds, -9.8 pounds total

Week 6:  -2.0 pounds, -11.8 pounds total

I have 12 days to continue on a good streak before a six-day vacation that's temporarily going to kill the momentum.  

Week 7:  -2.0 pounds, -13.8 pounds total

<5 pounds to my goal, but an intervening vacation is going to set me back a bit.  I'll try to be at goal by end of June.

Week 7:  -2.0 pounds, -13.8 pounds total

<5 pounds to my goal, but an intervening vacation is going to set me back a bit.  I'll try to be at goal by end of June.
Unbelievable - great job!

I finally did Tim today.  It was funny that he used the words "genitals" and "anus" within the first minute.*  I liked the session and would do it again.  I think he's very good at giving some instruction, such as some tips on breathing that I've never heard from Adriene.  And then on other things, you're just on your own.  Some of the session was slow, and some seemed to go so fast I missed a few poses.  There were a couple of times he just hopped from being on his back to being in a plank.  Crazy!

*Seriously, he did.**

**And yes, I know this entire post sounds a little naughty.

I highly recommend watching this documentary.

There hasn't been a lot of research on fasting in the west. There has been some. One study (see here) showed that a 14-day water-only fast reversed hypertension several times more effectively than the strongest combination of drugs even when the drugs were used over a much longer period. But there hasn't been much.

Most of the research on fasting was done in the Soviet Union. The documentary I linked to summarizes some of it. There is plenty of anecdotal commentary, though. Search YouTube for water-only fasting and you'll get a bunch of first-hand experiences.

I do think there are a great many benefits associated with fasting. But I don't know if a day or two is long enough for many of them to kick in. It may take more like 4-5 days for them to take hold in a significant way. But fasting for a day or two might have some decent benefits and almost certainly won't be harmful. So if choosing between fasting one day a week and not fasting at all, I'd say to go for the fasting one day a week. If you become more adventurous, maybe try fasting 5 days once every few months.

I feel like @Maurile Tremblayis wasting an opportunity like a tight poker player who just never bluffs. If you have the table cred to say I'm not going to look it up but trust me there was a Russian study and this is what it said, then once in a while you have to throw out a "but it also clearly showed that people who post selfies in speedos before and after each fast had the best results while people who failed to hold themselves accountable actually gained weight".  I would probably pay a thousand dollars to wear a Maurile Tremblay mask for a day at a poker table where they knew him and thought I was him and I would pay a decent amount just to #### with people like @Otis 

I highly recommend watching this documentary.

There hasn't been a lot of research on fasting in the west. There has been some. One study (see here) showed that a 14-day water-only fast reversed hypertension several times more effectively than the strongest combination of drugs even when the drugs were used over a much longer period. But there hasn't been much.

Most of the research on fasting was done in the Soviet Union. The documentary I linked to summarizes some of it. There is plenty of anecdotal commentary, though. Search YouTube for water-only fasting and you'll get a bunch of first-hand experiences.

I do think there are a great many benefits associated with fasting. But I don't know if a day or two is long enough for many of them to kick in. It may take more like 4-5 days for them to take hold in a significant way. But fasting for a day or two might have some decent benefits and almost certainly won't be harmful. So if choosing between fasting one day a week and not fasting at all, I'd say to go for the fasting one day a week. If you become more adventurous, maybe try fasting 5 days once every few months.
Thanks Maurile. I read something indicating that there are benefits in terms of autophagy starting at 24-48 hours.  I also read about an interest regimen which involves eating every other day.  That’s appealing to me for a variety of reasons.  I’m thinking I’ll at least try and do a 24-36 hour fast once a week, maybe start pushing to twice a week.

Interesting collection of info here. 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/alternate-day-fasting-guide#bottom-line

The bottom line

Alternate-day fasting is a very effective way to lose weight for most people. It is not recommended for children, people with eating disorders, or those who are pregnant, lactating, or living with rare disorders like Gilbert Syndrome.

It may have benefits over traditional calorie-restricted diets in some cases. It’s also linked to major improvements in many health markers.

The best part of all is that it’s surprisingly easy to stick to, as you only need to “diet” every other day.

Users who are viewing this thread