What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

Sunday was one low cal meal all day, salad. Didn’t eat Monday. Tuesday night had one sensible meal at dinner and a few drinks. Today was one sensible meal at dinner and two light IPAs.  Feel great. Really want to string together another couple fasting days, but I can live like this indefinitely. And I think if I do I probably will lose some major weight. We’ll see what the weekend brings. 

5:30am Walked 3 miles around the neighborhood and was back in time to enjoy coffee time with my wife, she likes it when I have coffee, berries, yogurt and a little granola for us while we plan our next moves. 

Did not have a single drop of alcohol yesterday, not even a beer. 

I have business lunch meetings next two days and I won't be able to keep that streak going for long. I'll try to just keep it at a couple drafts. 

Cheers!

Sunday was one low cal meal all day, salad. Didn’t eat Monday. Tuesday night had one sensible meal at dinner and a few drinks. Today was one sensible meal at dinner and two light IPAs.  Feel great. Really want to string together another couple fasting days, but I can live like this indefinitely. And I think if I do I probably will lose some major weight. We’ll see what the weekend brings. 
:suds:

I like how you say it better, one good meal and that is how I look at it. Somewhere between 6am and lunch I get starving because I don't like to initially eat when I wake up in the mornings so breakfast isn't really a meal. I have a chopped salad with grilled chicken I like to order for lunch when I am out. 

One good meal...pork chop-bone in with a baked potato/lil butter but none of the other junk. I try to have some real green beans or corn on the cob, no cans if I can avoid it. 

One good meal...fresh fish like Tripletail around here and some fresh shrimp to pan fry up in a little olive oil and butter, serve over a nice salad with fresh carrots that still have the green on top they pull them out of the ground with, maybe add some sunflower seeds and other seeds plus I like to add some berries of all kinds into my salad.  

I like to be done eating when I can by 6 at night, I eat most of my food in a 6 hour window from lunch thru early dinner time and I try hard to not snack much, i do have red wine or a light beer at night, I guess I prefer to burn my calories on alcohol. 

Under calories yesterday and off the booze.  Did a 30-min restorative yoga session also.  

Not sure I'll have time for yoga today, we will see.  

Tomorrow I'm off work and it's my birthday.  Planning to start the day fishing and I'm sure the weekend will go off the rails between that and Father's day.  Woot!

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Been a few days since my last update. We're moving our home gym to make room for an air hockey (wife) or poker (me) table so I havent weighed myself since last week. (Cause picking the scale up off the table its on and laying on the ground is too difficult) Last week was also our 20th wedding anniversary so there was heavy drinking but overall I think I kept it under control. 

I continued to ride my bike 5-6 miles 3/4 days and added pushups, chin ups and pull ups. I feel great, see progress but the wife wont stop buying junk! Stupid kids. 
We just celebrated 21 years up in the NC Mtns, and also GA Mtns on the border in and around Helen which is a little touristy but if you know what you are doing you can avoid most of it. We drank a lot and I have to say I wouldn't let my wife push us away at 10-11pm like we usually do, we were closing the bars down most nights and meeting some incredible locals everywhere we went. 

Cycling burns twice as much calories typically vs walking. If you can cycle at a pace of 12mph+ and go for 60 minutes which is very doable but even 45 minutes is super good for you. 60 Min on a bike is 2 hours or roughly 5-6 miles walking. 

My best combo days I will do some form of about 75-90 minutes walk/cycle. I was running but hip pointers are just too much for me to risk and this exercise is on top of playing Tennis at least 1-2x a week, in summer I dread going on the Tennis Courts, easier to lace up my Kayanos and go for a quick walk before the Florida heat n humidity is fully entrenched for the day. I like dusk a lot too so I can take pics of the sky. 

-One last thing SB22, that last sentence I totally understand. I am the scapegoat for my wife, every little morsel of sugar she consumes is directly my fault 😂. and I hope you see the humor in that.  

Good Luck and Cheers!

Hey bfred, tomorrow on Adriene's June calendar is a repeat of that Core Strength Ritual that caused you to call her "a merciless ######### ########" and led to my being sore for three days.
I did this one again yesterday and am feeling it today, but I'm hoping this time for only two days of things like breathing being painful.  Something I noticed that I didn't the first time, probably because I was curled up in a ball sobbing, was that at the end she says that "if you need more" you should redo the practice a second time.  Oh OK.

I did this one again yesterday and am feeling it today, but I'm hoping this time for only two days of things like breathing being painful.  Something I noticed that I didn't the first time, probably because I was curled up in a ball sobbing, was that at the end she says that "if you need more" you should redo the practice a second time.  Oh OK.
She really is the worst.  How are you doing today

I'm obsessed with this book so far: "The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting" - Chung

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Fasting-Intermittent-Alternate-Day/dp/1628600012

It confirms everything that I've always intuitively felt about fasting, and further is supported by what I've actually experienced when doing multiple day fasts.  I've never been so excited to NOT eat in my life.  

Last night I was feeling light headed, but it could be because I hadn't slept in two days and my body is all screwed up.  So, I ate a big meal last night as normal.  As he notes in the book, just listen to your body, don't be an idiot.  But in the mult day fasts I've done in the last couple weeks, I feel like superman a couple days in.  More alert, more energy, lean, raring to go.  It's consistent with everything in the book.  I'd really like to start trying longer, e.g., 5-7 day fasts, because I think that's when the most significant benefits start to kick in.

This week:  235 lbs       Last week:  235 lbs

Change:  0 lbs               Loss to date:  46 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
June 4:      239 lbs
June 11:    235 lbs
June 18:   235 lbs
Didn't try to lose any weight after the big losses the previous two weeks. Just maintained where I was. I'll probably continue that for the next few days before starting up again.

On the downside, I think I restrained my shoulder in physical therapy on Monday when we upped the weights. The pain had been about gone for all but one or two movements of my arm, but is now back if not quite as bad as when I started. :(

End of week update!

Exercise:
5 walks / 19 miles / 2480 calories burned

Gradually increased my pace throughout the week to see what my upper limit was and I'm now definitely hitting that aerobic heart rate zone when I'm out there. At the end of today's walk I actually jogged for about a quarter mile. :oldunsure:  I've dealt with some knee issues from trying to run before so we'll see if that flares up again, but I'd love to gradually start jogging more if possible.

Diet:

Stuck with healthy breakfasts and lunches all week -- this is probably the longest I've gone without Wendy's since the pandemic started :lmao:  . Dinners were a mixed bag but nothing atrocious. My biggest slipup was on Saturday night when I had some edibles and ate a ton of pizza rolls and chocolate chip cookies. Whatcha gonna do though. Overall I'm already feeling significantly better, hope to keep this momentum going. 

Been 4 weeks since I started to amend my ways.  Up to an hour at a time the recumbent bike, every other day.  Trying to get back to everyday (or at least most days).  Besides the exercise bike the only other is slight dietary changes.  Trying not to make too many substantial changes at once.  Right now I’m just trying to build habits.  Haven’t set a particular long range goal.  For now, I just want to get under 300.

May 1 - 318.6

May 8 - 313.0

May 22 - 312.4

May 29 - 309.6
Kind of hit a plateau.

June 5- 310.4

June 12 - 309.0

June 19 - 309.6

This week has been tough.  Coming off a decent exercise week.  The kid screwed up his glucose management (type 1 diabetic) and wound up in the hospital for 3 days in DKA.  Feels fine now that things are back under control, but it short circuited my progress.  Was able to get at least 3 days this week on the recumbent bike, averaging 45 minutes.

All in all, not doing too bad.  My blood sugar is getting better (5.9 A1c).  The exercise has dropped my BP about 10 points.  At the point where it bothers me if I don’t get on the bike for a little bit everyday.

Pace this morning was 18:18. The scale says I gained 2.9 pounds. It was likely the Pizza Incident on Tuesday, along with The Return of the Son of Hypoglycemia, which hammered me Thursday. The Mexican Coke made me feel well enough to go to the store and house a package of Chewy Chips Ahoys. :mellow:

I'll get back on the horse.

Weekend was fun but not good for overall health.  I did walk the dog every day and got over 10k steps one day, so there's that.  But I ate soo bad.  Mom's cooking and pizza and fried mushrooms bad.  Oh well.    

Just got off the mat after a 40-min down dog session with core boost.  

Planning to be good the next couple of weeks, then it will be the weekend of the 4th.  May try to stay off booze until the weekend of the 4th.  Hmm.  

Keep up the good work.  

At the end of today's walk I actually jogged for about a quarter mile. :oldunsure:  I've dealt with some knee issues from trying to run before so we'll see if that flares up again, but I'd love to gradually start jogging more if possible.. 
Well I definitely jinxed this -- my left knee started screaming during this morning's walk (didn't even try running). Still finished the walk with my normal pace & mileage but I think I'm due for a day or two of rest. I was hoping to post some nice improvement over last week's numbers but I don't want this to get out of control. Looking into shoe inserts & knee braces right now to see what could help on future walks. 

I'm done, in terms of losing right now.  I'm a little less than 2 pounds from the goal I set, but honestly I don't care and want to give myself a break.  I've been on the bottom half of "normal" on the BMI chart for a while, and my desire to hit the lowest points of normal isn't necessary.

Doesn't mean I won't keep it up or check in here, but I'm good with where I am.  I'll get down to that slightly "underweight" category in the next few weeks, but it's not important.

Still around to cheer everyone on and to post interesting Adriene videos where applicable.  :)

I'm done, in terms of losing right now.  I'm a little less than 2 pounds from the goal I set, but honestly I don't care and want to give myself a break.  I've been on the bottom half of "normal" on the BMI chart for a while, and my desire to hit the lowest points of normal isn't necessary.

Doesn't mean I won't keep it up or check in here, but I'm good with where I am.  I'll get down to that slightly "underweight" category in the next few weeks, but it's not important.

Still around to cheer everyone on and to post interesting Adriene videos where applicable.  :)
Congrats K4 on, yawn, hitting your goal weight again.  Jeez.

I did some splurging this weekend, today I sit in the same 221-224 range I've been in for a while now.  Was going to do some fasting this week but last night was just pretty hungry, and decided instead to order in a really healthy salad quinoa thingy and have a glass of wine and a chocolate KIND bar.  It was probably 1000-1200 calories of eating for the day, which is fine.  I'm pretty jonesing to get some more fasting days in, to bust below 220.  We'll see what the rest of the week brings.

PS, the most I read about fasting, the more sense it makes and the more amazing it is.  Regular diets are kind of stupid and make no sense when you think about, well, science.  CICO doesn't work for most people, for good reasons. 

Well I definitely jinxed this -- my left knee started screaming during this morning's walk (didn't even try running). Still finished the walk with my normal pace & mileage but I think I'm due for a day or two of rest. I was hoping to post some nice improvement over last week's numbers but I don't want this to get out of control. Looking into shoe inserts & knee braces right now to see what could help on future walks. 
When my knees hurt from exercise it's sometimes referred pain from my quads.  It feels like my knee, and nothing i do to my knee makes it feel better, so I believe it, but it ends up being my weak quad muscle pulling wrong and all the tendony stuff doesn't work right. Either way it's not a bad idea to get some rest, but don't worry yourself sick that your knees are going if you aren't actually having problems with your knee.

awesome job as always and thank you for sharing the popsicle video

I did some splurging this weekend, today I sit in the same 221-224 range I've been in for a while now.  Was going to do some fasting this week but last night was just pretty hungry, and decided instead to order in a really healthy salad quinoa thingy and have a glass of wine and a chocolate KIND bar.  It was probably 1000-1200 calories of eating for the day, which is fine.  I'm pretty jonesing to get some more fasting days in, to bust below 220.  We'll see what the rest of the week brings.

PS, the most I read about fasting, the more sense it makes and the more amazing it is.  Regular diets are kind of stupid and make no sense when you think about, well, science.  CICO doesn't work for most people, for good reasons. 
I can't begin to describe my feelings right now

Just did a 30-min restorative down dog yoga session.

Was significantly under calories and booze free yesterday.  

Keep up the good work.    
you're doing awesome dude 

I keep meaning to check out these down dog sessions you're talking about.  Where do I go to find them?

you're doing awesome dude 

I keep meaning to check out these down dog sessions you're talking about.  Where do I go to find them?
Just an app you download.  Free for 30 days.  $30 for a year, which adds access to several other apps as well.  (Barre, HIIT, Meditation, etc.)

Rode my bike yesterday >5 miles. 
Did a bunch of chest/arm exercises. 

I hit the speed bag for awhile. To those who have never used a speed bag before- they’re fun as hell and a GREAT shoulder arm exercise . Out of every workout I’ve ever done I think the speed bag is pound for pound the most “fun” workout I do. Other than being loud and having to reinflate every so often there’s no downsides to it. Highly recommend it if you have the room. Punching bags are also a lot of fun but take up a lot more room than most people are willing to give up.

ETA - 5 minutes a day for two weeks and you’ll go from bum to feeling like Rocky Balboa 

Last edited by a moderator:
When my knees hurt from exercise it's sometimes referred pain from my quads.  It feels like my knee, and nothing i do to my knee makes it feel better, so I believe it, but it ends up being my weak quad muscle pulling wrong and all the tendony stuff doesn't work right. Either way it's not a bad idea to get some rest, but don't worry yourself sick that your knees are going if you aren't actually having problems with your knee.
I'm thinking this might be part of the problem for me -- the pain is so on & off that major structural issues with the knee seem unlikely. With my rest day today I did some leg strengthening exercises and I think I'll just make those a normal part of my exercise routine. Hopefully that fixes things up. 

caustic said:
I'm thinking this might be part of the problem for me -- the pain is so on & off that major structural issues with the knee seem unlikely. With my rest day today I did some leg strengthening exercises and I think I'll just make those a normal part of my exercise routine. Hopefully that fixes things up. 
Where is the pain in the knee and how does it feel?

Where is the pain in the knee and how does it feel?
It's kind of like an ache deep within the knee, and that knee will also pop occasionally when I'm walking up the stairs. I went to the doctor for this a few years ago, and after doing some quick tests for meniscus & ACL injuries he chalked it up to overuse. He also suggested that strengthening my quads could help, and I've admittedly been slacking on that. The pain usually doesn't pop up until I'm doing some strenuous physical activity so it's easy to forget about. 

It's kind of like an ache deep within the knee, and that knee will also pop occasionally when I'm walking up the stairs. I went to the doctor for this a few years ago, and after doing some quick tests for meniscus & ACL injuries he chalked it up to overuse. He also suggested that strengthening my quads could help, and I've admittedly been slacking on that. The pain usually doesn't pop up until I'm doing some strenuous physical activity so it's easy to forget about. 
Ok. Sorry, I was hoping to help but I’m not sure based on what you’ve written. 

Ok. Sorry, I was hoping to help but I’m not sure based on what you’ve written. 
No problem.  :thumbup:  It's confounded me too, I've spent a lot of time reading about it and nothing quite matches what I have. I'm going to keep on trying different remedies and will hopefully stumble upon something that works. 

This is similar to what I felt and it was my quads.  It hurt when I did certai things like taking a stair weird or doing yoga.  It hurt more going upstairs then down, and usually if I was going laterally or tried to fully straighten my leg. It wasn't totally predictable, but there were times I definitely expected it and I found myself adjusting my movement to accommodate it.  Resting it helped, and then I found myself surprised when it didn't hurt when I expected it to. It lasted a long time and i thought it was my knee and I was just getting older, but I'm pleased to say I haven't felt it in a long time. 

That's interesting, I used to think I was having severe knee problems when I was much heaver than present and I was still getting clicking in the knees as I was losing weight, last year I lost some more weight but thru walk/bike/tennis, my quads have gotten stronger, they definitely are not bigger, my legs look like toothpicks compared to some guys but they're solid and I don't have the same knee pain I used to. I'd like to get more muscle in my hips and thighs but I've not really committed to squats and that seems like a requirement. 

Did another down dog session today.  This one was a 40-min full practice with a focus on Upper Body Strength.  My arms feel like jell-o.  So many planks, side planks, down dogs, forearm stuff, etc.  First time to do a focus on upper body and it won't be the last time.

Was significantly under calories and no booze yesterday.  

Keep up the good work!

I could really use a machete to hack my way through the atmosphere, but the neighbors wouldn't understand. Pace was 18:39.
Refresh my memory Kev, are you on the West/East Coast of Florida? I think where I am around Jupiter to Palm Beach, we get a nice breeze coming off the Atlantic many days, others it can feel like there is no breeze and it's quite stifling. 

The time is what you are doing per mile? So I have an almost perfect 3 mile loop around the golf course and when I do that walk with Mrs, it takes us 60 Minutes but when I go solo, I can get it done in like 50 Minutes and I am by no means jogging or running. 

Refresh my memory Kev, are you on the West/East Coast of Florida? I think where I am around Jupiter to Palm Beach, we get a nice breeze coming off the Atlantic many days, others it can feel like there is no breeze and it's quite stifling. 

The time is what you are doing per mile? So I have an almost perfect 3 mile loop around the golf course and when I do that walk with Mrs, it takes us 60 Minutes but when I go solo, I can get it done in like 50 Minutes and I am by no means jogging or running. 
I'm in Austin, 200 miles from the Gulf. We get the humidity, but not the breezes. LOL.

Yes, that's my mile pace. Not setting the asphalt ablaze like the Roadrunner,  but still significant effort from an old, fat guy.

No problem.  :thumbup:  It's confounded me too, I've spent a lot of time reading about it and nothing quite matches what I have. I'm going to keep on trying different remedies and will hopefully stumble upon something that works. 
People may have suggested this already to you but I would think about doing some daily stretching starting immediately when you wake up. Before you ever get out of bed, I would encourage you to do some knee bends or rather pull your knee up to your chest before you even roll out of bed. Get you muscles loose and relaxed so they can help and support your knee. 

Also, if you do any exercise like even walking, although people don't get hurt typically walking, you might benefit from an ice pack on that achy knee as soon as you are done exercising or moving around. I didn't get hip to icing my knees and ankles until more recently. 

Do you wear insoles inside of your shoes? All of them, not just your Nike. Do you own a top notch pair of walking/running shoes, I own 5 pairs of Kayano by Asics, I buy them when they drop the price from $160-$180 down to about a $100 when the newest model comes out...they are currently at 27 I believe, they've been making these things a long long time. 

But that might not be the right shoe, I would go get fitted properly and invest in your shoes and insoles, they don't just help the feet and ankles. 

I'm in Austin, 200 miles from the Gulf. We get the humidity, but not the breezes. LOL.

Yes, that's my mile pace. Not setting the asphalt ablaze like the Roadrunner,  but still significant effort from an old, fat guy.
I didn't know you lived in Austin...I love Eastciders Blood Orange, so good. 

-Don't worry about setting any kind of pace, if you're under 20 minutes a mile walking, you're doing great. The old fat people in my community don't walk miles, they make it look like they walk a lot but I see most of them turn around at the end of the block, they're not booking a mile. 

Users who are viewing this thread