What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

Poke_4_Life said:
The bad weekend after good weekdays cycle continues and sees no end in sight.  Too much booze and some bad food choices. 

Back at it hard today, 30-min walk with the dog and a 40-min yoga session.  

Keep up the good work!
i feel you!  i've been doubting my resolve to fight off the booze calories.  i'll keep fighting the good fight!  i could drink less...seems mean. ;)  

Weekend, as always, tough to get the workouts in but managed 5Ks each night. Took yesterday off but got up early this AM and got my 7,500 in. Onward and upward. 
Wife and I are thinking about getting a rower.  What model do you have?  I know it's been discussed in this thread somewhere, but looking for recommendations.  

Walked the dog and then had to get right to work.  Guess that may do it today unless I can sneak another walk in later.  

Ate well yesterday and only had a couple of hard seltzers.  

Keep up the good work!

Diet yesterday was great until I made my gf’s birthday dessert (chocolate chip cookies). I intentionally did not keep track of how much dough I ate during the process. Ran 4 miles at 8:00 pace this morning to burn some of that off.

Been busy today, but walked the dog this morning and did my 40-min yoga session with upper body focus.  

Under calories and no booze yesterday.  (Sadly, life and work stresses have me doubting I will stay off the booze tonight.)

Keep up the good work!

Checking in for the first time in a long time.  Some amazing accomplishments in here.  Damn.  Well done all.

I've been a mess since around the beginning of August.  A shame because I was crushing it for a while and hitting some of the lowest weights I'd seen in a long time.  And was feeling great.  Now I've rediscovered alcohol and drink daily (and usually more than I should), I've been eating whatever, and exercise has been out the window. 

I'm just in a total tailspin at this point.  Need to break the cycle and claw my way back.  So hard when you have nothing but negative momentum.  I set the alarm this morning to try to row, but hit the snooze.  Woke up and had coffee and a healthy breakfast.  It's a new day.  I'm not setting any goals at the moment.  Just need to get my bearings first...

Otis said:
Checking in for the first time in a long time.  Some amazing accomplishments in here.  Damn.  Well done all.

I've been a mess since around the beginning of August.  A shame because I was crushing it for a while and hitting some of the lowest weights I'd seen in a long time.  And was feeling great.  Now I've rediscovered alcohol and drink daily (and usually more than I should), I've been eating whatever, and exercise has been out the window. 

I'm just in a total tailspin at this point.  Need to break the cycle and claw my way back.  So hard when you have nothing but negative momentum.  I set the alarm this morning to try to row, but hit the snooze.  Woke up and had coffee and a healthy breakfast.  It's a new day.  I'm not setting any goals at the moment.  Just need to get my bearings first...
Come on in R @Otis the water is warm. I am game if we want to do a motivational challenge of some sort. 

Wife is out of town and work is crazy so skipped yesterday. Put the boy on the iPad and got my 7,500 in just now. Just need to stop eating everything in site and I’ll be all set. 

Come on in R @Otis the water is warm. I am game if we want to do a motivational challenge of some sort. 

Wife is out of town and work is crazy so skipped yesterday. Put the boy on the iPad and got my 7,500 in just now. Just need to stop eating everything in site and I’ll be all set. 
I may need that good buddy. Maybe we should start a challenge of sorts. Maybe that will motivate me to get going. 

Wife and I are thinking about getting a rower.  What model do you have?  I know it's been discussed in this thread somewhere, but looking for recommendations.  
Sorry for the delay here! I have a concept 2 and it’s worked well for me. If buying now I’d be intrigued by the ergatta. A) would feel more like Spacey in House of Cards. B) it definitely looks nicer. C) Water vs air is much quieter which would be nice. D) more games and things. E) am sure it can be bought with one of the buy now pay later things. Love me some 0% interest. 

GF’s bday was yesterday—went apple picking and ate a few homemade apple cider donuts, and finished the day off with some awesome pizza and cocktails. Fun day but I felt pretty crappy this morning. Ran 4 miles at 7:54 pace to get back on track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking in again.  Somehow got too busy to update yesterday.

Wednesday was indeed boozy, oh well.  

Walked the dog yesterday and that was it.  Just a very busy day.

Diet was decent yesterday but did have some booze.  

Walked the dog and did a 40-min yoga session this morning with core focus.  Boats suck!

Keep up the good work!

You'll all be happy to know that not only did I give back the three pounds I'd lost, but I gained another 0.8 lb for good measure.  :bag:

Let's just reset today with a new start. 

Week 0:  Goal - lose 21 pounds

Turned out the yoga I was doing today (46 minutes!) was called "Yoga for a Fresh Start."  Seems apt.  Let's do this.

On my "fresh start" day Monday, I ate Wendy's for lunch, but thereafter I've been eating really well.  Also walking more and doing longer yoga practices than usual each day.  Hoping for a good result on Monday, though I am not responsible for what happens on football Sundays.

Ran my 2nd 5K this morning.  Bettered my time by 38 seconds and came in 1st in my age group.  Need to figure out how to train to add some speed.

Have you been in the 10K thread?  Some folks here might be able to assist, but that thread is chock full of helpful, supportive people who know this stuff really well.  

managed  to get in 3 miles with some pushups and squats this morning

i've discovered over the last few months that i was correct, i have a torn meniscus in my left knee.  pain in the knee made it obvious.  i also found out that sometime in the last few years?  year?  i disintegrated the allograft ACL, in that same knee.  it was surgically repaired about 13 years ago. it is no longer visible.   :mellow:   i'm putting off any surgery until after ski season.  the dr was unsure if anything could be done about the acl.  good times.

Busy and somewhat boozy weekend.  Got over 10k steps Saturday and Sunday.  

Walked 30min this morning and did a 30min yoga session with core focus.  

Here's to a good week!  I'm on vacation next week, so final push before some R&R.

Keep up the good work!

Fantastic pace!  You're really getting down there.
Thanks! Legs are feeling fresh after my recovery week, and it's nice to see the pace drop. Pretty solid improvement over my first 4-mile run (8:31 pace) just 25 days ago. 

That being said, I've been reading more about running plans and it seems like I actually need to take the pace down a few notches. I keep reading that 80-90% of your weekly mileage should be at an easy pace, and lately I've only been doing 40% or so (and even those "easy" runs have been a bit too fast). Going to try and fix that this week, since this is probably another factor in my "random" knee pain. :lol:  With 4 fast miles already in the books, I think I'm relegated to easy runs for the rest of the week. 

Had 2 margaritas (skinny) and 2 glasses of wine this weekend but ate really well.  Protein, salads.  Got in another Peleton session today and walking the dog 2X a day.  Going to do more floor work, pushups and situps.  Gotta look sharp walking daughter Smails down the aisle in a month.  Amazing what motivation will do..

Had 2 margaritas (skinny) and 2 glasses of wine this weekend but ate really well.  Protein, salads.  Got in another Peleton session today and walking the dog 2X a day.  Going to do more floor work, pushups and situps.  Gotta look sharp walking daughter Smails down the aisle in a month.  Amazing what motivation will do..
Try the 100 pushups program if you want to get good at pushups quickly and see some nice progress.  

Hundred Pushups, there's also an app.

Just after ordering my Cadillac margarita yesterday (grande size), I noticed that the place had a skinny margaritas and wondered how that was.  What do you think of it?

Mid-week check-in shows me doing pretty well so far, staying at or close to WW every day.  Tonight I'm going out with friends, and there will be Indian food, so that streak ends today.  Hope to hunker back down Friday/Saturday.  We've moved our Sunday football viewing this week from a Mexican to a pan-Asian restaurant, which will help me stay healthier that day.

This week:  206 lbs       Last week:  206 lbs

Change:    0 lbs          Loss to date:  75 lbs

------------------------------

Current Target weight:  190 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
June 4:      239 lbs
June 11:    235 lbs
June 18:    235 lbs
June 25:    231 lbs
July 2:       229 lbs
July 9:       232 lbs
July 16:     227 lbs
July 23:     225 lbs
July 30:     223 lbs
Aug 6:       221 lbs
Aug 13:     218 lbs
Aug 20:     215 lbs
Aug 27:     212 lbs
Sep 3:        210 lbs
Sep 10:       206 lbs   First Goal of 207 lbs Reached    🌟 💥 🌟 💥  🌟 💥 🌟 
Oct 1:         206 lbs

Stretched my week off to a week and a half, and then promptly got a cold and did nothing but eat and sleep.  And then spent this last week catching back up to where I'd been. Ready to go again!

New goal of 190 lbs. 

Got a membership on the Volt workout app via work for guided weightlifting workouts. Which is perfect for me as I end up being repetitive and doing the same things without help. Have done 3 so far and enjoyed it. I can swap out exercises for others. Mostly going with what they have but replacing things like lunges that make my  bad knee hurt.

Realized I wasn't eating as much protein as I should while dieting, especially now with strength training. Was eating around my normal daily allowance. But it sounds like I should probably be getting 2x to 3x to help retain muscle. I read that it varies, but around 75% of weight loss is fat and 25% is muscle on average. Which is right where my body fat measurements had me between July and September. Granted I lost a little faster than recommended, so hitting average there might be good as losing faster you'd expect to lose more muscle which is why they don't recommend it.

Going to focus on more chicken, turkey, yogurt, eggs and protein bars to up my protein. Swap out a few of my sweet treats I'd been having for those to not add too many more calories.

On that topic, last night I tried Power Crunch protein bars after reading they were tasty. It's like a wafer cookie, I would not have thought it was a protein bar if you just handed me one.. So, looking for a protein boost? They have my vote. Have tried the mint and lemon and both were good.

Also noticed that Jimmy Dean mini omelets are about the same calories and protein (220cal, 13g protein) as the protein bars (205 cal, 13g), so picked up a few containers of those. Man those are addictive though.

Edit to add: The yogurt I picked up is 110 cal, 15g... so that will probably be my preference, along with chicken or turkey.

Also noticed that Jimmy Dean mini omelets are about the same calories and protein (220cal, 13g protein) as the protein bars (205 cal, 13g), so picked up a few containers of those. Man those are addictive though.
Good job man!

Just a note.  Those Jimmy Dean things are tasty, but there's a lot of sodium in them.  

Good job man!

Just a note.  Those Jimmy Dean things are tasty, but there's a lot of sodium in them.  
Funny I was just talking about the protein thing with a friend last night and we got into talking about sodium. And I looked at them last night and yep, those things have 690mg of it!

Walked the dog and did a 30-min yoga session this morning.   
I have been pondering giving yoga a try. I think I might wait though until I'm done losing weight and can free up some cardio time to do something else.  Working in the strength training with it is about as much as I think I can handle right now.

I have been pondering giving yoga a try. I think I might wait though until I'm done losing weight and can free up some cardio time to do something else.  Working in the strength training with it is about as much as I think I can handle right now.
When you're ready to start, most of us started with Yoga with Adriene on youtube.  She has a 30-day series (a few of them) that was great for me.  I've moved on to a phone app subscription, but she got me started.  

Frenetic week of pickleball and good diet. Pretty worn out with 1 more day to go then I take a couple days off from pickleball and have a much needed cheat day. Down 35 pounds at this point and basically at the weight I was at in 2004 when I first thought I had gotten really fat.  Nevertheless, feeling pretty good about the progress and heading in the right direction.  

Avoided booze yesterday but had a little too much sodium and way too much sugar. I brought 20 cookies to a meeting yesterday and nobody really ate them—so I came back home with 15 and ate quite a few after dinner.  :bag:  I cannot have that stuff in the house.

This morning I ran 6 miles at 9:46 pace though, putting me at 17 miles for the week. Knees/legs/etc. feeling good, shooting for 18 next week. 

Mid-week check-in shows me doing pretty well so far, staying at or close to WW every day.  Tonight I'm going out with friends, and there will be Indian food, so that streak ends today.  Hope to hunker back down Friday/Saturday.  We've moved our Sunday football viewing this week from a Mexican to a pan-Asian restaurant, which will help me stay healthier that day.

This, ummmm, did not go well.  Or, if you like Indian food and about 1.5 bottles of wine and also having a second dinner at 12:30 a.m., then I guess you could say it went really well.  :bag:  

I not only fell off the wagon in recent months, but last weekend I fell off, jumped in front of it and smashed it to smithereens, and ended up with a black eye and some nasty bruising as a result.  Literally. 

So yeah, there will be no more weekday drinking for me. And more reasonable drinking on the weekend. And I need to start exercising and losing this gut. Sheesh. 

Users who are viewing this thread