What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

Back into health mode.  Decided to start a new 100-day Tecumseh challenge yesterday, so I completed Day Two today.  By the way, I'm going to continue to call these "Tecumseh challenges" for eternity.  I haven't started the 30-day yoga yet because I made the mistake of asking a friend to do it with me (virtually) and she has to "research it" before deciding on a starting date.  Sigh.  Did gain a pound last week, which wasn't so bad considering taking four days off from working out, and all the wine and the pizza and the tequila and the pizza and the wine.  Back to healthier eating today, new Tecumseh challenge, yoga sometime after the research is completed...BRING IT.

It's funny how about a month ago I started this journey training for a 10 mile run at a comfortable MAF pace.  Now the race is cancelled (or most certainly will be) and I find myself in a race against professional long distance runners.  How did this happen?    😭
Broad street was moved to October.

I want to average 10K steps per day for the whole year and I was off to a good start with an average of over 11K steps per day on through 3/10.

This last week I averaged a pitiful 3650 steps per day :bag:  But I've made up for that by drinking 13 of the last 15 days :lol:

This first week of confinement was a shock to the system and an adjustment period is certainly understandable.  I need to get back to at least 10K steps per day because a couple drinks with dinner seems like it's going to continue for a while.
Some good and some bad 2 days after this post.  I live in FL and worked in my yard on Sunday which made it pretty easy to get to 11.5K steps that day :thumbup:   However, I had to work from home today, got started at around 7:30 AM and I'm sitting (litterally) at 3480 steps on the day... and I just poured my third Whiskey :bag:  

Some good and some bad 2 days after this post.  I live in FL and worked in my yard on Sunday which made it pretty easy to get to 11.5K steps that day :thumbup:   However, I had to work from home today, got started at around 7:30 AM and I'm sitting (litterally) at 3480 steps on the day... and I just poured my third Whiskey :bag:  
Drinking and walking does seem like a team O event, and i like your lack of focus.  You're in too.

A very sobering 213 this morning and this was after I felt I had dropped a couple pounds in the last week. I'm about 6 foot 3 but I would be a lot better under 200 and if I could get below the 190 deck all the better. I float around a 36-38" waistline and need to be a 34...my problem is the same as many, I like pizza and I like beer. And I play a lot of tennis so I always think I can just burn off the food, it doesn't work...it worked when I was like 250-260 but now a lot of that loose weigh is gone and now I have to eat better and drink a little less...with the bars closed and my fav spots on the water, it's a little easier. 

-Tennis Courts where I belong are now closed after tonight. 😦 And I understand why

-I started walking, just can't get excited about an 8 minute mile or running...I am literally soaked when I get off a Tennis Court, even make jokes to other players  that I get my money's worth...I can lose 5 lbs on the Courts in the summer when the humidity is cranking but it's mostly just water. 

-I started riding my bike more, maybe 5-6 miles which is only about 30-40 minutes, my butt and my crotch just start to get uncomfortable after a while. 

-Don't tell anyone in that crazy 19 thread but we're going to meet up and play Tennis at private courts and ones not controlled by the city but keep that on the down low. 

I think it's great that some of you are taking your health serious. I put myself down a lot but I have lost a lot of weight from when I was in my 20s and 30s, I would like to just be lean at this point and fit into slim pants and things I can't wear because I'm just a little too big for those Euro cuts on shirts and pants I like at Nordstrom's 

Cheering you guys on and will have to do a mini version of some of this so I can keep my health up while Tennis is down. 

Well, hell, if we're choosing our events, I will kill those dorks in parallel parking.  :thumbup:  

ETA:  Should not have a parallel parking and drinking event, though, due to laws and such.
I can tell you that parallel parking is not the same as riding a bike.  I lived in Philly for 9 years and was great at it.  I moved to the suburbs 3 years ago and completely forgot how to do it.  

Binky The Doormat said:
what is the Tecumseh challenge?
100 consecutive days of at least 20 minutes of intentional activity- walking, swimming, running, basketball, whatever you wish. It just has to be something above and beyond your normal routine. Krista tweaked it to her needs, and was actually doing an hour per day. Also, I was paying myself $10 per day, so at the end of 100 days I would have $1000 that I could blow on whatever I wanted to. Krista bought a house for each day. So, you know, small tweaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
bostonfred said:
Ok just did an 8 minute mile. I tried for a 7.5 minute pace and bonked so I think my current speed is about 8 but I haven't been training for it at all so I can definitely improve.  I am willing to take that event and the 5k for team O.  @fred_1_15301 you've got the 10k. @krista4 and @DA RAIDERS, you've got Planking and... Drinking and Planking. @eaganwildcatsand @Otis you've got Rowing, and Drinking and Rowing.  @Tecumseh what's your event?  @Alex P Keaton are you in?  It wouldn't happen to be Drinking and Running, would it?  Anyone else?  Speak up, 
@bostonfredI can back you up in the 5k, but my time will probably be about 32 minutes (I ran it in 33 last night, but kept my heart rate in MAF zone). If they handicap me 10 minutes I might have a chance. 

@bostonfredI can back you up in the 5k, but my time will probably be about 32 minutes (I ran it in 33 last night, but kept my heart rate in MAF zone). If they handicap me 10 minutes I might have a chance. 
Love it. If you're running 33 at MAF pace, you might be surprised how fast you can go at "race pace".  Have you tried a fast run recently? 

@bostonfred   Good news - just ran a mile in 7:30.  Bad news - heart rate was up around 170 and I probably couldn't have made it much further at that pace.  I could probably be another backup for you in the mile run.  I'll  tell you right now that I'll be lucky to run a 10K at anything faster than 10 minute mile pace.

@bostonfred   Good news - just ran a mile in 7:30.  Bad news - heart rate was up around 170 and I probably couldn't have made it much further at that pace.  I could probably be another backup for you in the mile run.  I'll  tell you right now that I'll be lucky to run a 10K at anything faster than 10 minute mile pace.
7:30 is impressive. Careful og Fred, second Fred coming for your crown. 

Here you go

7:30 mile is pretty solid.  Your HR is supposed to be high and it's supposed to feel like you can't go any further if you're close to your limit.

It also means you can run a 10K ~ 8:22 pace on that calculator.  Safe bet would be 8:45-9:00 pace for sure.  You'd surprise yourself and can certainly run it faster than a 10 minute pace. 

Here you go

7:30 mile is pretty solid.  Your HR is supposed to be high and it's supposed to feel like you can't go any further if you're close to your limit.

It also means you can run a 10K ~ 8:22 pace on that calculator.  Safe bet would be 8:45-9:00 pace for sure.  You'd surprise yourself and can certainly run it faster than a 10 minute pace. 
Awesome - thanks for sharing this.  For me, some of the biggest barriers so far appear to be more on the mental side.  Just being able to challenge and push myself and figure out what my limits are.  

Just knocked out a 4 miler on the treadmill at MAF pace (46 minutes). I think that's my longest run since we started our lockdown, might be a tie. Feel pretty good although my legs still feel heavier than they did a couple weeks ago.  I am hoping to get back to about where I was before by the end of the month. 

You guys that are rowing,  what machine do you use?

I really need to start doing something (not in BAD shape, just not in great shape) and rowing seems like it would be up my alley.

Seems like the consensus is that the Concept2 is the best machine (and pretty reasonably priced) but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

9:03 nerds.  sub 9 will be easy.  still trail running.  same route.  flat surface would probably net 30 seconds.  i think i can hit 8 without too much trouble.  surprisingly, my knees aren't that pissed.  very happy about that.  now if i can just get my calves to stop freaking out, i might actually keep this running thing up.

also did a nice kettle bell workout, with a dumbbell, :mellow:   good work out today.

what have y'all done?  GET SOME!!

Well, I started out doing a 5k at 7.5 mph. About 3 minutes in, I decided to turn into a mile af 7.5 mph. 2 minutes later I decided i probably was just dehydrated and walked it off while i drank some water.  Attempt two at the mile i was optimistic and went 8mph, and even bumped it up to 8.1. I got all the way to .5 miles in just under 4 minutes. One more attempt at 8 mph and it became clear that what I was really doing was a bunch of half mile intervals. Then i decided to finish with a 7.5mph mile and realized that all my intervals don't need to be the same speed they can just be half mile intervals at a good pace. So I guess the conclusion is, the 8 minute mile I ran earlier this week was about my current max.  Back to MAF tomorrow and trying to get my endurance back up. 

You guys that are rowing,  what machine do you use?

I really need to start doing something (not in BAD shape, just not in great shape) and rowing seems like it would be up my alley.

Seems like the consensus is that the Concept2 is the best machine (and pretty reasonably priced) but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Yup, Concept 2. It’s basically the standard. And it’s not wicked expensive. Has been life altering for me since buying one in December. 

eaganwildcats said:
I just ate a cookie. Earlier I ate the special one I made with both M&Ms and chocolate chips. High fives all around. 
We have a ton of Girl Scout Cookies in the house. I haven't been winning that battle.

Mrs. O and I drank most of the wine last night. Which is good because I don’t want to drink today. Or ever again. I much preferred not drinking. But lockdown has been hard. 

Mrs. O and I drank most of the wine last night. Which is good because I don’t want to drink today. Or ever again. I much preferred not drinking. But lockdown has been hard. 
I haven't had a drink since February 24th and won't until April 12th after giving up booze for lent but it's not a coincidence that I also know that it's just 17 more nights until Easter.  Be strong stay the course etc etc

Drove from Seattle to NC since Friday evening. Ate all the fast food and drank all the soda on the way. Likely gained 5+ pounds. Good news is I left my scale in Seattle so I won’t know. Will weigh in in a couple months once I make it back to get my stuff.

And now in a hotel for 9 days and a temporary apartment for 2 months after. This won’t end well.
So I’m settled in my temp apartment in Raleigh. New scale delivered. Was expecting a lot of damage but only up .8 pounds. Even though I thought I’d eaten terrible I guess it’s relative. I had been eating worse than the last 4 months but it wasn’t that bad.

Found somewhere to start running/walking again and have been back at it for 2 days. Will be in the 210s by the end of the month.

Head down, eyes forward. Diet still going well. Ate pizza for the first time this year and have been drinking (light) beer pretty much every day, but I've been working like a dog on a project outside which is helping to offset it.

1/2 - 184.6 lbs
1/9 - 179.8 lbs
1/16  - 177.4 lbs
1/23 - 176.0 lbs
1/30 - 174.8 lbs
2/6 - 172.4 lbs
2/13 - 171.0 lbs
2/20 - 169.6 lbs
2/27 - 167.4 lbs
3/5 - 167.4 lbs
3/12 - 165.8 lbs
3/19 - 163.0 lbs
3/26 - 161.8 lbs

I haven't had a drink since February 24th and won't until April 12th after giving up booze for lent but it's not a coincidence that I also know that it's just 17 more nights until Easter.  Be strong stay the course etc etc
Good stuff.  I would like to do that.  I think it's the push I need to get to my goals -- if I keep rowing as I have been, generally eat as I have been (which isn't in any way a "diet," just more mindful of making good choices), but cut the alcohol and add in a push-ups routine (nothing crazy).  If I make those two adjustments, I have no doubt I'll finally make my goals.  Discovering cardio, and specifically rowing, has been a huge huge boost for me.

Users who are viewing this thread